• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Honestly pretty boring and seems like they can't escape the Queen of Blades influence.

It was a cheesy design, but Lilith as a recolored wild-haired Andariel with the nipple piercing chain was more interesting.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people complaining about the horns, the wings and that she's sexualized/good looking? It's Lilith we're talking about, the seductress. She's been portrayed that way for centuries

Kyora90

Apr 15, 2018
We only need her turning into the good side (or revealing she was from the good side) now.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, if there's one character who should look like the wet dream of a teenager who listens to too much metal, it's probably Lilith.

I mean, do we remember Andariel from diablo 2? Lilith is her mom (prior to a retcon, but still)

latest

That aint a family that dresses sensibly.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
We only need her turning into the good side (or revealing she was from the good side) now.
In RoS Lillith is supposed to have been more or less neutral and had a romantic relationship with one of the high angels. It's all told through various books found in the last part if Act V

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus they should be embarrassed by that design. Not only is it fucking awful in this day and age, but it's also an incredibly obvious redesign of Kerrigan. Utterly without imagination or creativity.

To be honest, they should just scrap the entirety of D3a storyline and the Nephalim concept. I'm not entirely sure how many illegal drugs you have to be on to base the entire lore of your game on an incredibly shitty Richard Knaack novel, but whoever made that decision should never be allowed near a creative team again.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brom is a very talented artist and has produced some fantastic pieces over the 20+ years that I've filled him.

By the way this is Brom... I don't know who did the artwork on the front page.

c8e62d_9d0b1e2c370045eb8c352bce484accb5~mv2.jpg

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Not terribly blown away, especially if the Blizzard design team WoW-izes Diablo 4's aesthetic like I fully expect them to.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people complaining about the horns, the wings and that she's sexualized/good looking? It's Lilith we're talking about, the seductress. She's been portrayed that way for centuries
Honestly. She's basically a succubus.
First off, it's fucking Diablo. Before Diablo 3 the series was basically defined by a gothic horror aesthetic developed by Blizzard North that was a far cry from everything Cali Blizzard was producing at the time (with the contrast only becoming larger as time goes by). This design is not gothic horror. It's generic fantasy schlock.

Secondly, basically everyone missed the train on Succubi being predators of men, creatures who horrifically consume men in a one-sided predator-and-prey relationship. Making them physically attractive is actually besides the point; Succubi don't need to be attractive because they have powers that allow them to ensnare men regardless of what they're attracted to. Yet Another Sexy Succubus is thus just another boring rehash of the trope that frames Succubi as somehow being both predators of men while also being the subject of male gaze (something that is completely unnecessary given the nature of their existence).

So no, I'm not gonna give them a pass on this one. Sorry.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I mean, there's still time for China to cancel the whole development. Haven't they forced blizz to remove skeletons from WoW? They aren't gonna like Diablo at all then.
Skeletons aren't banned in China. Neither is blood, gore, etc.
Western companies, including Blizzard and their Chinese publishers, proactively censor to to be extra safe because foreign games getting a monetization license is a huge pain in the ass and they don't want to take any risks and delay the launch.

D4 will likely be like D3--less blood and gore, but still demons, skeletons, etc.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus they should be embarrassed by that design. Not only is it fucking awful in this day and age, but it's also an incredibly obvious redesign of Kerrigan. Utterly without imagination or creativity.

To be honest, they should just scrap the entirety of D3a storyline and the Nephalim concept. I'm not entirely sure how many illegal drugs you have to be on to base the entire lore of your game on an incredibly shitty Richard Knaack novel, but whoever made that decision should never be allowed near a creative team again.
It's far far far closer to the Alexstraza/Yssera designs than Kerrigan's

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Secondly, basically everyone missed the train on Succubi being predators of men, creatures who horrifically consume men in a one-sided predator-and-prey relationship. Making them physically attractive is actually besides the point; Succubi don't need to be attractive because they have powers that allow them to ensnare men regardless of what they're attracted to. Yet Another Sexy Succubus is thus just another boring rehash of the trope that frames Succubi as somehow being both predators of men while also being the subject of male gaze (something that is completely unnecessary given the nature of their existence).

That's a pretty silly hill to die on given that like virtually every modern interpretation of succubus is "demon who takes the form of an attractive woman to seduce/lure men". Like, sorry if that's not accurate I guess, but /shrug?

OP
OP

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Lilith has existed long before D3/The Sin War books.

Last edited:

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
First off, it's fucking Diablo. Before Diablo 3 the series was basically defined by a gothic horror aesthetic developed by Blizzard North that was a far cry from everything Cali Blizzard was producing at the time (with the contrast only becoming larger as time goes by). This design is not gothic horror. It's generic fantasy schlock.

People aren't complaining that she's a dark fantasy design, they're complaining about Horns, wings and sexualization.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Diablo 1 had succubi too, and they were just voluptuous topless women with thigh high boots and wings so I'm not sure what your point is.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR

You shouldnt even be able to play as a male character in Diablo 4 because you'd be too susceptible to Lilith.

You know, for 'realism'

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
And Lilith has existed long before D3/The Sin War books.

Lilith is fine - she was mentioned in D2 after all. But the entire nephalim backstory and the absolute *garbage* that he tossed out one afternoon is embarrassing shit even for him. The fact they didn't just ignore it but instead embraced it says a lot about the process behind Diablo 3.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017

Also, more than anything else, the design is a rehash of what they were already doing with Kerrigan.

It is boring for that alone.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
That's a pretty silly hill to die on given that like virtually every modern interpretation of succubus is "demon who takes the form of an attractive woman to seduce/lure men". Like, sorry if that's not accurate I guess, but /shrug?
Diablo 1 had succubi too, and they were just voluptuous topless women with thigh high boots and wings so I'm not sure what your point is.
The point is that we can do better than rehashing the same shit over and over again just because it's 'tradition'. It's sexist horse shit is what it is.

Ideally I'd rather they sidestep the issue entirely by not casting succubi as primary antagonists, but I already know what to expect from Blizzard at this point.
People aren't complaining that she's a dark fantasy design, they're complaining about Horns, wings and sexualization.
Not really. Read those posts again. It's more about how samey modern Blizzard designs tend to be (especially with the rather inescapable comparison between this Lilith design and ye ol' Queen of Blades). And yes, the sexualization because Blizzard just can't seem to let that one go for whatever reason.
Looks better than the d1 design :P
Diablo 2 improved on that front, at least. Is it too much to ask for better?

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hey they will finally do what I asked for D3 to do regarding Lilith and the Trilogy of Sin?

Too bad, should've done it back then.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
And now shove this generic ass kerigan lookin bad guy through the WoW bubble graphics filter and see what we get!

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Don't know what I expected, looks like every female winged demon ever.

Even if that's what they're going for there's still room to make something unique.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Looks like it's definitely going to be Diablo 3.5
Diablo 4 will not look like Diablo 3, no doubt.

But what will define whether Diablo 4 is worth if the number is based on how the gameplay evolves. If it's anything like Diablo 2 or Path of Exile and not the shitty, limiting skill system that D3 had, it will be worthy of the 4.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I thought with the 2nd D3 expansion the villain would be a nephalem, maybe the Amazon from D2 since it was probably going to take place on Skovos.
Speaking of Skovos, i really hope D4 doesn't recycle any old locations, pls no more Tristram.

Yes, a thousand times this! I hated that Diablo III reused locations, bosses and geography for it's four acts. Heck, they even went with a similar location progression of base DII's Tristram/Lut Gholein/Kurast Docks/Hell with DIII's Tristram/Caldeum/Bastion's Keep/High Heavens.

If they wanted to mention previous locations as lore bits you pick up, then that's fine. I just don't want to start off in Tristram again, as that town should stay in the past. It's old hat at this point.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Yes, a thousand times this! I hated that Diablo III reused locations, bosses and geography for it's four acts. Heck, they even went with a similar location progression of base DII's Tristram/Lut Gholein/Kurast Docks/Hell with DIII's Tristram/Caldeum/Bastion's Keep/High Heavens.

If they wanted to mention previous locations as lore bits you pick up, then that's fine. I just don't want to start off in Tristram again, as that town should stay in the past. It's old hat at this point.
Originally they were going to go with Xiansai, Westmarch, Skovos & Ureh, instead it was MEMBER DIABLO 1 & 2!
Im so sick of nostalgia pandering honestly, even though i can't see how Lilith could work as the big bad without some retcon, at least it's not Diablo again, hopefully.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Originally they were going to go with Xiansai, Westmarch, Skovos & Ureh, instead it was MEMBER DIABLO 1 & 2!
Im so sick of nostalgia pandering honestly, even though i can't see how Lilith could work as the big bad without some retcon, at least it's not Diablo again, hopefully.

You know damn well it's gonna be Diablo again.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Im so sick of nostalgia pandering honestly.

Skovos could've been such a cool location to visit, as someone who played the Amazon class religiously in DII. (All the more reason HOTS's interpretation of DII's Amazon was such a cool update to her old design.)

Speaking of pandering, remember Izual? In Diablo II, you (as the player) were asked by Tyrael to put the soul of his old comrade to rest, believing that Izual had suffered enough and his spirit was vanquished. In Diablo III, he was....resurrected by the "Prime Evil" to serve and help conquor the high heavens? And history repeated itself and Izual was once again struck down?

I really didn't understand the 'why' for bringing back most of the bosses from past games, especially when half of them weren't actually that memorable to begin with.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Skovos could've been such a cool location to visit, as someone who played the Amazon class religiously in DII. (All the more reason HOTS's interpretation of DII's Amazon was such a cool update to her old design.)

Speaking of pandering, remember Izual? In Diablo II, you (as the player) were asked by Tyrael to put the soul of his old comrade to rest, believing that Izual had suffered enough and his spirit was vanquished. In Diablo III, he was....resurrected by the "Prime Evil" to serve and help conquor the high heavens? And history repeated itself and Izual was once again struck down?

I really didn't understand the 'why' for bringing back most of the bosses from past games, especially when half of them weren't actually that memorable to begin with.
Yeah that wasn't needed, same as the Butcher & Skeleton King coming back.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Looks like D3 art.

Let's just hope her personality goes beyond "ha ha, you will never defeat my lethal war machine [monster], puny nephilim! //ha ha, you might've beaten my [monster] but you'll never defeat my [other monster]"

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
People taking the Hong Kong debacle as an excuse to shit on the quality of Blizzard's games is laughable. I see it everywhere now.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017

Preach. Succubi in folklore were not originally bombshells with demon wings and horns taped on.

Shit's boring. Overdone. Even if the sexualized shit doesn't bother you... At least ask for something more interesting! Ask for creativity! It looks like every other evil non human woman Blizzard has designed in the past decade.