• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Gah, I really hate how they want stats as simplistic as "attack" and "defense" to be your main stats. The attack stats in particular is just dumb, it's just gonna lead to a lot of cases where caster classes like sorceresses run around with big melee weapons just like it did in D3

You're talking about vanilla D3. Current D3, not anymore. They're all using wands (and certain sword/dagger) because legendary affixes are more important than the damage number of the weapon. Even then, a sorceror running around carrying a big melee weapon is not a problem by itself. PoE lets players who know what they're doing, build a witch who is melee attacker wielding two handed hammer crushing endgame, with the right setup.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
MrLlama video up-- one of the best D2 speed runners, dude breathes diablo 2. Very long video, but it's as deep a dive you can get from someone who is a literally a master of D2.

One of the best POE players is next to him as well. Having both on the same vid giving commentary is great.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Enigma isn't really the problem. The real issue is that a) battle.net forces you to play in a certain way and b) teleport is indispensable to playing in that way and 6/7 classes need enigma to get teleport.

Enigma is not nearly as relevant in single player because you don't have to worry about eating a temporary ban for making games too quickly. Accordingly, the game doesn't completely revolve around doing the most you can in ~5 minutes like playing on battle.net does.

Ironically, outside of the context of battle.net enigma actually probably contributes quite a bit to class balance since it gives a lot of mobility to otherwise very slow classes. Offline it's a gear choice to be weighed, not an item you are basically forced to get.
Enigma was broken purely because teleport was the best skill in the game. Teleport is not a skill that a class doesn't need, you know what I mean. There isn't any drawbacks to using teleport and it improves everything about whatever build was using it. Having that kind of mobility is just OP.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Enigma was broken purely because teleport was the best skill in the game. Teleport is not a skill that a class doesn't need, you know what I mean. There isn't any drawbacks to using teleport and it improves everything about whatever build was using it. Having that kind of mobility is just OP.
Physical builds didn't really want it. You needed some kind of faster cast rate for it to work well which depended on the class you used. Javazon is one of the more popular endgame builds and it doesn't use Enigma. At least not for Teleport.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the character models always looked terrible in 3 even at the time

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're talking about vanilla D3. Current D3, not anymore. They're all using wands (and certain sword/dagger) because legendary affixes are more important than the damage number of the weapon. Even then, a sorceror running around carrying a big melee weapon is not a problem by itself. PoE lets players who know what they're doing, build a witch who is melee attacker wielding two handed hammer crushing endgame, with the right setup.

I'm glad if they fixed it in D3. Though I'm curious if that's something that only really goes into effect once you hit endgame and start getting all the cool legendary's through farming? For instance, are you still feeling the need to use big 2handers while leveling a wizards when a new season rolls around because it's dps is higher and your spell dmg is tied to that weapon dps? Because then the fundamental stat issue is still there.

And D3 and PoE are two completely different beasts. Something like 2hander builds for a witch in PoE is the result of the game having an incredible amount of build freedom. In D3 it's the exact opposite where using 2handers was basically just a forced choice for you due to bad and restrictive game design

Corsick

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad if they fixed it in D3. Though I'm curious if that's something that only really goes into effect once you hit endgame and start getting all the cool legendary's through farming? For instance, are you still feeling the need to use big 2handers while leveling a wizards when a new season rolls around because it's dps is higher and your spell dmg is tied to that weapon dps? Because then the fundamental stat issue is still there.

And D3 and PoE are two completely different beasts. Something like 2hander builds for a witch in PoE is the result of the game having an incredible amount of build freedom. In D3 it's the exact opposite where using 2handers was basically just a forced choice for you due to bad and restrictive game design
Exactly, the interplay between skills/items/passives is completely different with one giving you infinitely more latitude to create something weird but fun, whereas the other gives you almost none of that freedom.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Physical builds didn't really want it. You needed some kind of faster cast rate for it to work well which depended on the class you used. Javazon is one of the more popular endgame builds and it doesn't use Enigma. At least not for Teleport.
No build really needs it. Teleport is just so good that it was the optimal armour choice purely because teleport is OP.

Hammerdin still works but tp made it OP.
Singer works but again, tp.
Javazon was a great cow build. You could get away without enigma because it didn't optimize the build which just ran around a highly populated area.

You can't really say you wouldn't want tp though. It was just so good for most things you did in the game.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Overall I am extremely happy with how the game looks and what they said about it in the various panels. No red flags going off for me and in terms of looks it is a huge improvement over Diablo 3. I liked Diablo 3 and would've loved to see more content being released for Diablo 3, but I am glad we are getting Diablo 4.

It definitely looks like they have their focus and priorities right for this game and I am looking forward to playing it when it comes out. For most other things it is way too early to tell.

So far no mainline Diablo game was a big letdown and they all improved with expansion packs and content updates (especially Diablo 3). I expect the same to happen to Diablo 4.

Horo

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Any words if they will support modding on this one? It was one of the big reasons why i didn't get 3 despite playing the hell out of 2.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
I can't seem to find a straightforward answer regarding map size; is the map in the demo 1 of 5 zones or is it the entire game?

Edit: Nevermind, they explain it in the World & Lore panel, it's the whole map, and there are 5 regions within it; would have been insane if there were 5 zones of that size.

Last edited:

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah the master overhaul in Betrayal marks a huge power spike for players due to multimodding made easier and master crafting have access more so many powerful affixes for rares. That said, it's largely for the better, both to get rid of the stupid master missions pre-Betrayal, and making crafted items more assessable, in the expense of power creeping. The good thing was they are still updating uniques, especially the crappy ones to make them more relevant, and they're introducing more and more build enabling or interesting uniques. Your last sentence might be referring to Shaper and Elder bases, which were introduced during the last expansion last year, and yeah they made rares of those bases potentially incredibly powerful.

Yea I was specifically referencing the Shaper and Elder items. Think they may have went a little too crazy with that. Not that I mind, I love breaking games, it's one of the reasons FF8 is my second favorite Final Fantasy.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MrLlama video up-- one of the best D2 speed runners, dude breathes diablo 2. Very long video, but it's as deep a dive you can get from someone who is a literally a master of D2.

Watching this currently. Really like these two guys. Just got to the point at around 45 minutes where they're talking about runes, and they're running through how the current runeword system could be cool if you have a 6 socket item. Then chat tells them that the devs have confirmed it's currently only a 2 socket system, and Llama immediate goes "okay well...we're gonna talk with them" lol

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Heck, if we ignore the difference in tech (lighting in D4 looks great), I think the art in D3 is better than D4 so far.
I never understood the hate toward D3 art.

I thought D3 art was great. And I actually remember supporting D3 art style during the development of D3. However, I was wrong back then.

It was not the right tone and art direction for a Diablo game. The more colourful and satured game world did not capture me as effectively as the bleak darkness of Diablo 1 and Diablo 2.

I think the first few landscape shots in Diablo 4 gameplay trailer absolutely capture the essence of what Diablo is for me. And I see the links to Frank Frazetta paintings, which is another good sign.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
That is quite honestly the best cinematic trailer I've ever seen for a video game. If the tone contained within that video is any indication as to the whole game proper, then holy fuck

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The more I hear from Kim and his design goals and itemization philosophy, the more I think he doesn't understand how to make a fundamentally solid arpg. He's taking the worst from Diablo three and the team is just mimicking the art style of two (which I actually like in regards to the latter, they should be more daring to lift components from d2 or other games completely imo). The cooldowns obsession is bizarre and completely restrictive, the legendary affixes still sound boring, the skill trees are too simplistic to stimulate much creativity or room for exploration, and they keep talking about playing games like Last Epoch and POE without having the stones to ripoff the most unique and fun aspects of those games (the economy, passive trees/skill trees and itemization approaches). I guess I don't understand what they're trying to do other than not overwhelm casual players. Which leaves you in a crappy no-man's-land. As someone watching out of intrigue more than anything it's frustrating that they've learned so little from playing these other games. It makes POE 4.0 that much more anticipated for me now ultimately. The main benefit Blizzard has now is time to course correct. I just think they believe so strongly in their core philosophy that they'll never change it.
Dead on. Frustratingly accurate. How can they think these are worthwhile design principles for a flagship arpg!?

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
That's not true though. When you take battle.net considerations out of the equation there are actually a lot of reasons not to use enigma.

For one thing, a lot of classes have a dreadful base casting speed and no other use for FCR so teleport isn't especially useful to them. The Amazon is a prime example of this because FCR is completely useless to them except in that it makes casting teleport less ridiculously slow. Accordingly, you can make better gear choices across the board by not having to get the FCR to make using enigma a reasonable choice. Assassins are in a similar boat and also have the advantage of having access to a pseudo teleport.

One underlooked issue with enigma is that the stats that it confers other than teleport are so good that even if it didn't give teleport it'd still be the best armor for some builds. I can't really deny that; however, the majority of classes/builds have something better to put in the armor slot when teleport is something less than absolutely essential. This is especially the case on hardcore, where chains of honor tends to get a lot of play (and enigma is even less important in general due to the inherently higher risk of teleporting around like a madman).

If you've only played on battle.net that's going to give you a highly skewed perception of the value of enigma.

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Figures... Hate when companies force online components into a game that's just as playable solo. And i bet offline play will not get patched in when the servers inevitably gets shut down.

Inevitably? I think Diablo 2 servers are still running 19 years later.

LoneWolfHunter

Banned for abusing Giftbot
Banned
Aug 27, 2019
Why do I need to get screwed? Diablo 3 looked good, this looks good.
Diablo 3 looked nothing like it's predecessors, whether it looked good or not was not the point. It was clearly a shift towards the Warcraft style of art, which was a terrible decision. It pretty much removed all of it's trademark aesthetics. The dark, gory and gritty look of Diablo was a big part of why people liked the series.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
No build really needs it. Teleport is just so good that it was the optimal armour choice purely because teleport is OP.

Hammerdin still works but tp made it OP.
Singer works but again, tp.
Javazon was a great cow build. You could get away without enigma because it didn't optimize the build which just ran around a highly populated area.

You can't really say you wouldn't want tp though. It was just so good for most things you did in the game.
Not true at all. The casting delay is horrendous for a lot of classes without fcr investment, which is limited to a number of slots. Physical builds for example want Ravenfrost in one of the ring slots. It's simply ineffective and inefficient to teleport around and farm at the same time. I mean, I guess you could if you want to showboat how many throwaway Jahs and Bers you have.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Diablo 3 looked nothing like it's predecessors, whether it looked good or not was not the point. It was clearly a shift towards the Warcraft style of art, which was a terrible decision. It pretty much removed all of it's trademark aesthetics. The dark, gory and gritty look of Diablo was a big part of why people liked the series.
Street Fighter 2 looked nothing like 1, 3 looked nothing like 2.

Continuity is usually thrown around as an argument ender and its really not. New games are allowed to look different and find new ways to explore themes and expression (most of the D3 art team moved to Riot after its release, btw)

I would prefer people not to take a tone that implies "real" fans prefer the darker look (or that theyre the majority) and people who dare to like something slightly different should screw themselves. A bunch of people who didnt like it were very vocal yes, but it doesnt make you any less of a Diablo fan for liking how 3 looked, we can have range and not be so tied to binary choices when it comes to this stuff.

LoneWolfHunter

Banned for abusing Giftbot
Banned
Aug 27, 2019

Continuity is usually thrown around as an argument ender and its really not. New games are allowed to look different and find new ways to explore themes and expression (most of the D3 art team moved to Riot after its release, btw)

I would prefer people not to take a tone that implies "real" fans prefer the darker look (or that theyre the majority) and people who dare to like something slightly different should screw themselves. A bunch of people who didnt like it were very vocal yes, but it doesnt make you any less of a Diablo fan for liking how 3 looked, we can have range and not be so tied to binary choices when it comes to this stuff.
What a weird, weird, comparison. Why not bring up a racing game or something? And I'm not even sure I agree with it. Street Fighter always had a more stylized than real look, something they maintained even after switching to 3D... A better comparison would be if Mortal Combat switched to Street Fighter art style... which would never happen.

We're talking about a game that DOES have continuity, in it's story, lore, etc, and switching it's art style made no sense.

I'm sure Blizzard decided to go "back to it's roots" solely because of their vision, and not because they were responding to the backlash and wanted to please the fans.

Also I'm not sure why you decided to quote "real" fans. I didn't say anything of the sorts.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017

I take your point about not playing the "real fans only like X entry" game. But I think the real issue is that Diablo 3's art style is just representative of a broader apathy towards the series' qualities in general. Accordingly, it's an easy thing that you can point to and say "look, these guys didn't really know what they were doing" rather than offering an in-depth analysis of the ways in which the minute-to-minute combat in Diablo 3 is fundamentally much different than its predecessors - it is, but to explain that exhaustively would require many more words than simply pointing at a picture.

In other words, if you call yourself a Diablo fan and Diablo 3 is the only game in the series you like, that can't help but say something considering the broader context of Diablo 3's reception as a whole.

MagnusGman

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dallas
I preferred Diablo III's art style to any of the other Diablo games.

That being said though Diablo IV looks fine and I will play it.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
What a weird, weird, comparison. Why not bring up a racing game or something? And I'm not even sure I agree with it.

Also I'm not sure why you decided to quote "real" fans. I didn't say anything of the sorts.

Diablo 1 and 2 were plenty stylized with a lot of their art direction. Just cause you make things 80% black doesnt mean its realistic. Different teams come to different interpretations of similar concepts so thats what the team in charge of D3 decided a Diablo game could look like. Diablo 4 is made by a very different team, hell I have it on good authority it started as a Dark Souls clone anyways. It looks quite good, of course, but its a very safe approach.

And yeah, wasnt meant to quote you, meant that as a general sentiment. Apologies.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.

You have to keep in mind that this is a new engine, we don't know when they built it, and they clearly already have a ton of high quality assets already built. I imagine they spent a quite a while making big picture decisions about the game too.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
You have to keep in mind that this is a new engine, we don't know when they built it, and they clearly already have a ton of high quality assets already built. I imagine they spent a quite a while making big picture decisions about the game too.

True, a lot time must have gone to setting up tech and tools. Those now done and if they have set strong vision for the game they could push IV out pretty fast by just focusing on content and system design now.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping at least one of the remaining classes will be new to the series. It would be pretty ridiculous to have nothing new for launch.

Its bad enough we get fucking Barbarian every game taking up a slot.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
I'm hoping at least one of the remaining classes will be new to the series. It would be pretty ridiculous to have nothing new for launch.

Its bad enough we get fucking Barbarian every game taking up a slot.
Rhykker asked David Kim about it and I got the impression they're looking to do that, at least one anyway, there was another leak earlier that said paladin and amazon so who knows.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Diablo 1 and 2 were plenty stylized with a lot of their art direction. Just cause you make things 80% black doesnt mean its realistic. Different teams come to different interpretations of similar concepts so thats what the team in charge of D3 decided a Diablo game could look like. Diablo 4 is made by a very different team, hell I have it on good authority it started as a Dark Souls clone anyways. It looks quite good, of course, but its a very safe approach.

And yeah, wasnt meant to quote you, meant that as a general sentiment. Apologies.
I'd argue making a Souls clone in a market with many Souls clone is safer than a top down hack'n'slash at this point.
It's not "very safe" to make it that much Destiny oriented either, there's more to perspective to a game.

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Visually, there is one thing thing I would change in Diablo 4.

Highlighting enemies with red outlines, and having that yellow flashing effect on bigger monsters does not look good. Are these even needed? I think both of these effects look bad. There are more subtle ways of showing the player which enemy he or she is targeting.

What useful information does that yellow flashing effect on that big world event boss provide me? That multiple players are constantly hitting it? I know that already, I would rather look at the monster model without the effects that look out of place.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Visually, there is one thing thing I would change in Diablo 4.

Highlighting enemies with red outlines, and having that yellow flashing effect on bigger monsters does not look good. Are these even needed? I think both of these effects look bad. There are more subtle ways of showing the player which enemy he or she is targeting.

What useful information does that yellow flashing effect on that big world event boss provide me? That multiple players are constantly hitting it? I know that already, I would rather look at the monster model without the effects that look out of place.
Something I noticed during the world & lore panel; they showed some footage where the lighting was closer to D2, with light emanating from the main character (casting dynamic shadows and all) and a dark vignette around that. I really hope they didn't remove the effect, it looks good imo and they should make it toggle-able.

DRCymXW7_o.png

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Reading reddit, heaps want open trading to return.... which is the one thing I can't stand. It leads to external real money abuse and time spent in trade chat and not playing the game! Am I wrong?

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Reading reddit, heaps want open trading to return.... which is the one thing I can't stand. It leads to external real money abuse and time spent in trade chat and not playing the game! Am I wrong?
You are not entirely wrong but there are huge benefits to having trading as well. Players are able to find niches in the market and it attracts certain type of players. It also makes items actually valuable... an item doesn't actually have value if you can't trade it. It also makes it that so you aren't punished by RNG if you can't find the uniques to make your build work.

That said there are many pitfalls of trade that Blizzard has not been able to solve. Making trading too convenient results in botting and sniping on auction houses or as you said "playing the AH more than playing the game." Making trading difficult and making it so that item drops are hard frustrates players even more because it's tough to get items in game and it's tough to get items from AH because they are either too expensive or its difficult to get a hold of a buyer (like what happens in PoE).

I would be fine with either self found or trading. They just have to fine tune the item drops well enough first. Right now they have much bigger issues that they need to solve right itemization, customization, mechanics and choices in end game.