• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
But I am not in love with Kim or the way he talks about the end game. I have a bunch of sc2 players as friends that would consider Kim a clown of a designer and bad for games
oh wait, it's that Kim?

giphy.gif

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
One weird ass message to send to people.

"We have just started to learn how to make good Diablo game. Send us feedback about what you would want to see"

Doesn't give a lot confidence in project.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
One weird ass message to send to people.

"We have just started to learn how to make good Diablo game. Send us feedback about what you would want to see"

Doesn't give a lot confidence in project.

It's a little better messaging than Diablo 3 where they mocked fans and ignored all feedback until they realized things had gone too far. At least they claim to be open to feedback for this one even in the early stages.

LuckyLocke

Avenger
Nov 27, 2017
Its very early in development. If you expect to have all the features in place at this stage of the project you don't understand how development works. Sometimes you design features on paper but they suck when finally implemented into the game. There's lots of stuff that is bound to change until the game ships.

Shadout

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if simpler stats are really bad... Does anyone really care about the difference between +str and +dmg?
No. Getting rid of main stats from D3 is fine. They were completely pointless.
But +10% or +100 dmg is not the same and should not simply be merged into a single stat.
In any case, the game really should not have something as simple as +dmg as a major part of your stats. It shopuld be +dot dmg, +fire dmg, +melee dmg, +range dmg, etc. Stats that are equally wanted by all builds is both bad itemization and bad build design.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
It's a little better messaging than Diablo 3 where they mocked fans and ignored all feedback until they realized things had gone too far. At least they claim to be open to feedback for this one even in the early stages.

That is true. Just makes me wonder about how in early state they are with things like that being said.

If they are truly as early as they seem to imply then this is yet another reboot and not version from 2016.

Shadout

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely with you on that. If it's a shared world (even after endgame) then I'm going to pass. Let me play offline like a loner if I want to.
Offline is unlikely to happen. But yeah, you really need to be able to play 100% solo, where nobody can enter your overworld, with world bosses etc. scaling down.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
I really would like to see a game made scary like this. I got bored of D3 and never even finished it but if the game was like this (Atmosphere wise) I would love it. :/
I'm really looking forward to seeing hell in D4. If I had one suggestion regarding the graphics, contrast could be better and I think they're overusing fog. Armor and environments are going to look a lot less plain at end game I'm sure.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
That is true. Just makes me wonder about how in early state they are with things like that being said.

If they are truly as early as they seem to imply then this is yet another reboot and not version from 2016.

Based on what it sounded like during Rhykker's interview, they're still extremely early. Like, maybe only a quarter of the game world has been created, they haven't fleshed out the ideas for clans, and a whole lot more is still in discussion phases.

It really does feel like they've either rebooted it again since 2016, or Jason was incorrect. I'm leaning towards the former.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I really would like to see a game made scary like this. I got bored of D3 and never even finished it but if the game was like this (Atmosphere wise) I would love it. :/
POE is one of the most disgusting, gory, horrifyingly chilling (the screams of agony in Lunaris Temple level 2) games I've ever played.

f7hzeZJ.jpg

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Of course they can. The problem is the fact that if they can do the itemization and skills well, then stats are not needed. Maybe they will just add in Str, Dex and Wis like the old days but if they go the D3 route, which seems to be their line of thinking, I can see them dropping direct stats. I guess time will tell, since we are probably a few years out haha.
I kind of liked how dexterity affected your accuracy and block chance. It wasn't impactful and yet it was if you were going melee. That absolute dread when you can't connect a hit against monsters and they're swarming you is what makes Diablo tick as a dungeon crawler in my opinion. Shame it won't return in a million years.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I really don't like where they're going with those simpler stats. Looks like they've been inspired by Destiny in more than the shared world bit.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
The stuff regarding stats is a bit confusing at the moment, but I like the general direction they seem to be going with overall. The live blog mentions the return of stuff like runes/runewords which is great. In general the details from the live blog/Q&A sound good. Ultimately this game is probably a couple years so as long as they take good feedback from fans then I expect the systems to work themselves out in time. If the itemization, skills, etc., are done right I don't think the stats are particularly meaningful, but we'll.

Based on what it sounded like during Rhykker's interview, they're still extremely early. Like, maybe only a quarter of the game world has been created, they haven't fleshed out the ideas for clans, and a whole lot more is still in discussion phases.

It really does feel like they've either rebooted it again since 2016, or Jason was incorrect. I'm leaning towards the former.
I think it's the same project it's just likely they were never really "underway" in a major way back in 2016-2017 when the previous iteration got canned. I think we only heard this year that a bunch of resources from other canned games were moved to this project, so they may have been working with a relatively small crew until recently. Also worth considering that since they have multiple Diablo projects running, what was started back in 2016 was overall planning for the Diablo franchise not specifically this game.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I do most of my gaming on PC but I honestly prefer the console version of Diablo III. The game just plays so magnificently with a controller, and the couch co-op is a blast for sure.
I started in PC and then switched to consoles cause couch co-op. There is just some magic there:

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Supposedly because that team has been trying other games/genres first.
For some of us Diablo X.5 is exactly what we want. Not some new genre with a Diablo name thrown at it.
Not saying they should've abandoned the core formula, but the classes so far just look like reskins.
I get that they want to play it safe and capture that D2 fanbase, but this seems a little too safe.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're right. For me the disheartening thing is hearing David Kim talk about the general design philosophies behind itemization and stats. Didn't really inspire alot of confidence in me.
The current design philosophy is for sure, simmer that shit down.

In a way, that's ok. It's difficult to estimate the attack score in D3 before you actually change it, record numbers, and trigger to get all your buffs. In another sense, I hope they don't kill the complexity involved as well. They need to tread carefully, IMO

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Dungeon Keys look like straight lifts of the (highly successful) Mythic+ Key system in WoW for the past three years.

Shadout

Oct 27, 2017
Dungeon keys themselves are not a new concept. Basically some variation of WoW Mythic or PoE maps. But that is hardly a bad thing.
However, I like that they seem to focus on keeping the world relevant in end-game. In this case by tying the dungeon keys into the existing dungeons. Not just a portal to a temporary instance.
In both D3 and PoE, in end-game, you kinda move beyond the game world, and everything becomes instanced portal worlds. Here the goal seem to be that the overworld is always where you start your activities from.
Likewise with the 'shared world events' (even if I wish they made the Shared part optional).

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
Wait - they got David Kim to be lead systems designer on this? RIP

Man, the hole Josh Mosqueira left at Blizzard after his Dark Souls Diablo prototype was scrapped has never been filled. His contributions to Destiny The Taken King, Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls, WoW: Legion are immense. Honestly, the more I see of this, the more i'm excited for Bonfire Studios' first game.

What they should've done was just remastered Diablo 2 for the hc fans who just want more diablo 2, then taken diablo in a new direction and done the Dark Souls Diablo game.

Ruranghi

Sep 22, 2019
Tbh I'm pretty worried about it now after reading https://www.wowhead.com/news=296005.2/blizzcon-2019-liveblog-diablo-iv-systems-features-panel, hopefully the itemisation and flavour text is all placeholder because if thats indicative of what it will actually be like its garbage.

Like, are they making a joke or something? Its exactly like D3 was at launch, but maybe even worse, I need to know we aren't going back to D3 day-one level of depth to the metagame/itemisation, at least the level design, maps and events were awesome.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Tbh I'm pretty worried about it now after reading https://www.wowhead.com/news=296005.2/blizzcon-2019-liveblog-diablo-iv-systems-features-panel, hopefully the itemisation and flavour text is all placeholder because if thats indicative of what it will actually be like its garbage.

Like, are they making a joke or something? Its exactly like D3 was at launch, but maybe even worse, I need to know we aren't going back to D3 day-one level of depth to the metagame/itemisation, at least the level design, maps and events were awesome.

It seems they have learned their lesson from Diablo III's development and are trying to not repeat the same mistakes going forward, such as the team being much more open to feedback and constructive criticism.

Ruranghi

Sep 22, 2019
Dungeon keys themselves are not a new concept. Basically some variation of WoW Mythic or PoE maps. But that is hardly a bad thing.
However, I like that they seem to focus on keeping the world relevant in end-game. In this case by tying the dungeon keys into the existing dungeons. Not just a portal to a temporary instance.
In both D3 and PoE, in end-game, you kinda move beyond the game world, and everything becomes instanced portal worlds. Here the goal seem to be that the overworld is always where you start your activities from.
Likewise with the 'shared world events' (even if I wish they made the Shared part optional).

I understand what you mean about D3's Rifts and Greater Rifts, but I did find that disconnecting and boring so I just redid adventure mode over and over and eventually did [most of] the achievements too. I liked going to town from the map and going back again, very satisfying loop for me, so hopefully you can also do that still.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
Dear god, why are they introducing talent affixes? That's going to make itemization even more rigid.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aside from all the other obvious reasons why reducing statistical complexity down to just "attack" and "defense" is horrible, there is the fact that most developers get such summaries wrong. They almost always do. Just because an item has an up arrow in no way means it's better. And without the actual stats... really tedious manual testing will have to be done. So they're actually in all likelihood making it far harder to determine which items are useful at endgame in specialized builds.

Of course, those could just be power multipliers, with nothing more complex underneath. Even then, I doubt the arrow indicator is factoring in affixes, just the stat. That's going to be potentially really misleading depending on build.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda depressing how much the gameplay reminds me of Diablo 3. Even seems to have dumbed down the basic gear itemization even further than it was in D3

Definitely hope they completely overhaul that part of the game if this demo is any indication of the current gear and stat situation in D4

Edit - Oh an also please fix the inventory system. I hate that a ring takes up the same amount of space as that of a chest or big weapon

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Gear itemization looks absolutely horrid (so basic). Hopefully that will be overhauled drastically before release or I'll pass. Then again, I may never buy the game if Blizzard doesn't change its China policy, but we have like 2-6 years to see lol.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
D2 had a tone and a setting that still keep pulling me back to that game. And D2 was a game that was called ugly and outdated when it was released in 2000.

Same here. PoE and D3 are fine I guess, but they're no D2. Not by a long shot. And yeah I remember those reviews. Shortsighted because D2 wasn't 3D in an era where that was still the hot new shit. They were dead wrong. D2 has stood the test of time.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know they've said that the dungeons are randomized, but have they said if the overworld itself will have a randomized layout? With them making the openworld areas into huge open zones, it seems like they'd be restricting their ability to randomize those zones

But now you don't need to play inventory tetris..!

I guess I'm this crazy breed of gamer that likes it when I have to manage my inventory in games that give me inventory management systems

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
I guess some of y'all forgot that the "depth of stats" of the fondly remembered D2 was whether you put points into your primary stat or vitality.
The whole system might as well not have been there for all the "depth" it provided.

This might be generally true. Just enough stats for gear requirements and rest pumped into VIT, but this is also a pretty horrible example of what stats can add to a game. As many problems as I had with Pillars of Eternity 1, their take on stats was extremely interesting.

edit: also #bringbacktetris =)

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Wait - they got David Kim to be lead systems designer on this? RIP

Man, the hole Josh Mosqueira left at Blizzard after his Dark Souls Diablo prototype was scrapped has never been filled. His contributions to Destiny The Taken King, Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls, WoW: Legion are immense. Honestly, the more I see of this, the more i'm excited for Bonfire Studios' first game.

What they should've done was just remastered Diablo 2 for the hc fans who just want more diablo 2, then taken diablo in a new direction and done the Dark Souls Diablo game.

I'm kinda glad they didnt go that direction honestly. Dark Souls and Diablo are nothing alike to me. I think there are too many Dark Souls clones already without changing an iconic franchise to copy it. Just my opinion though.