• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Based on what I can tell:

*No meaningful upgrade to potion system.
*Same skill system as D3, meaning you can't assign as many skills as want (like in D2) you have to have a specific number of skills.
*Talent tree is super rudimentary and barely an upgrade over the Talents in D3. It's like a weak hybrid of D3 and D2 system.
*Itemization still seems poor with not many interesting stats to speak of.
*Still uses the same resource system as D3 where you need a generator attack to build resources. This is fine but requires further tweaks.
*Rune system seems more interesting with a more active component to it but nothing crazy. Most of them are trigger effects based on meeting certain conditions.

People who didn't like the customization/mechanics system in D3 will not like this either as it's still overly simplified and doesn't really lead to creative builds or diversity.
seeing as this game is 2 to 3 years away, I am pretty sure stuff will change

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Disagree. Given that this is what Blizzard decided is demo-worthy, this is worth judging for what it is. And what it is is not very impressive if you weren't happy with D3.

Suit yourself. There's a history to the company and the franchise that legit warns you against this but you do you. I won't be shocked at all when the inner systems that have clearly yet to even be developed (helllooooooooo copy and paste from D3) don't look anything or work anything like this in 2 years.

Looks great from what we've seen and heard so far. Graphic style is much better aligned with the franchise. Customization sounds promising, glad to hear about skill trees and see rune words are coming back.

Still a long way to go until release and we won't know how it turns out for years yet, but it's definitely a good reveal full of hope.

Yep, its just the customization, change of design and freedom, and general direction that Im looking at here. And its all great. Beyond that I know better than to take it too seriously, D3 once looked like this:

47017.jpg

Shadout

Oct 27, 2017
From what I've read on PCgamer it's pretty much gonna be a MMO.. Witch totally kills any hype I had.
Yeah, that is what I fear most too, based on what I have seen. If the game is not 100% soloable, and somewhat within the same efficiency as group play (D3 already is way too group-focused imo) that would be a deal breaker.

Like that big boss in the demo. It seems to be in an non-instanced part of the world, where you can see pother people (MMO'ish). Does it scale based on how many are attacking it? Or is it just a lot harder solo than in a group.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sure but a lot of it is very similar to stuff already exists and we know what worked and what didn't work. That's why feedback is given now so they can tweak it. I doubt most of it is changed though, it's very integral to the system and it generally clues you in how they are approaching D4 which is "keep the systems and playstyle of D3 but add a layer of D2 mechanics on top of it." Basically this stuff doesn't impress in 2019 and will not impress in 2021 or whevener the game releases.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I like that the Sorceress gameplay was immediately more reminiscent of Diablo 2's Sorceress than Diablo 3's Wizard. I never found the Wizard gameplay to scratch quite the same itch that launching fireballs as the Sorceress did.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
As a D3 player with a lot of hours.. this looks the same, gameplay wise. Even the character selection/menu looks the damn same. The streamer impressions give me a worse feeling.

They had how many years to build a reveal? How is this what they're showing off?

I don't care about cinematics, just give me good and deep gameplay with a solid endgame.

I've got a bad feeling about this

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Higher likelihood of that happening if people actually express their concerns and criticism based on what they see of the game now though. I'm fairly sure the devs even specifically said they wanted to hear this kind of feedback during the panel

Shadout

Oct 27, 2017
Higher likelihood of that happening if people actually express their concerns and criticism based on what they see of the game now though. I'm fairly sure the devs even specifically said they wanted to hear this kind of feedback during the panel
Yeah definitely.
It is 100% certain that the stats you see in the demo are not final, probably not even in early design state yet. And people also seem to be simplifying things a bit here, I have seen various different stats in the short time I have spent looking on demo streaming.
But it is never too early to give feedback. Even if they hadn't shown anything it would still be fine to give that feedback.

Mistermetz

Jun 17, 2018
Don't want to port beg, but it's strange that they didn't bother to announce it for switch as well, after Diablo 3 was a huge success for the system.

Khilandros

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
For those wondering about an offline mode, not happening as it will be always online (like D3)

"Diablo 4 will not have an offline mode and will require an internet connection to play, Blizzard said during an interview at BlizzCon today.

We asked lead designer Joe Shely if it was possible to play Diablo 4 offline. "There's a large, seamless, connected, and shared space in the world, going down into dungeons, being able to group with your friends, trading and PvP. We feel that the best way to experience that is in a world that is online," Shely responded."

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
For those wondering about an offline mode, not happening as it will be always online (like D3)

"Diablo 4 will not have an offline mode and will require an internet connection to play, Blizzard said during an interview at BlizzCon today.

We asked lead designer Joe Shely if it was possible to play Diablo 4 offline. "There's a large, seamless, connected, and shared space in the world, going down into dungeons, being able to group with your friends, trading and PvP. We feel that the best way to experience that is in a world that is online," Shely responded."
They might force the online mode on Consoles this time too. we will see in a few years.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Based on what I can tell:

*No meaningful upgrade to potion system.
*Same skill system as D3, meaning you can't assign as many skills as want (like in D2) you have to have a specific number of skills.
*Talent tree is super rudimentary and barely an upgrade over the Talents in D3. It's like a weak hybrid of D3 and D2 system.
*Itemization still seems poor with not many interesting stats to speak of.
*Still uses the same resource system as D3 where you need a generator attack to build resources. This is fine but requires further tweaks.
*Rune system seems more interesting with a more active component to it but nothing crazy. Most of them are trigger effects based on meeting certain conditions.

People who didn't like the customization/mechanics system in D3 will not like this either as it's still overly simplified and doesn't really lead to creative builds or diversity.

I wish they got rid of the cool down system. If I have enough mana to cast something let me cast it! If the above is all true, it's clear that Blizzard has no idea how to make a Diablo game anymore and that they will never make another Diablo game as good as 1 or 2. The color palette in D3 was the least of its issues.

I hope at least spell damage is not linked to the weapon you have.
This. Cooldowns and limited skill access blow. The gameplay looks way too damn similar to D3.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

FUCK.

ABSOLUTE FUCK.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
The "RPG" portion of the game looks mind-numbingly braindead.

Hopefully there's complexity to the game systems that isn't on display in this demo.

Yeah after watching the demos the talent trees and skills are ridiculously simple.

Quinn was talking with a developer and asked if it was so basic because it was just a demo and he was like "no, this is how it is in the latest build of the game".

Developer also said crafting will be improved upon from D3, but it didn't sound like it's going to have anywhere near the depth of crafting from PoE.

Not good.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I don't understand why they can't accommodate both single and multiplayer experiences without limitations of resorting to an always online connection.

They should be able to have multiplayer servers have online only saves part of both private and seasonal ladders and offline characters being restricted to either couch offline multiplayer or public-only lobbies.

Restricting private or seasonal characters with an online only save system with sanity checks has always been a deterrent towards cheats. In regards to someone's offline single player experience has no impact for me, especially if an offline specific character cannot go into a private lobby or a seasonal ladder.

Having more choice is better than less options.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Yeah they MMO'ified Diablo. Not really interested TBH, in a world with POE and other quality hack'n'slash games Diablo feels backwards now. It used to be the what people looked forward, now Blizzard is studying how these games beat them at their own game.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand why they can't accommodate both single and multiplayer experiences without limitations of resorting to an always online connection.

They should be able to have multiplayer servers have online only saves part of both private and seasonal ladders and offline characters being restricted to either couch offline multiplayer or public-only lobbies.

Restricting private or seasonal characters with an online only save system with sanity checks has always been a deterrent towards cheats. In regards to someone's offline single player experience has no impact for me, especially if an offline specific character cannot go into a private lobby or a seasonal ladder.

Having more choice is better than less options.

because Blizzard won't do it. They will give us the console option of offline with cheaters and the PC option of online without cheaters. I don't foresee them doing anything different than they did with Diablo 3.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yep, just watched some streams. This game feels fucking exactly like D3. I get that it's a long way out but I doubt they're going to completely reinvent the art style and feel after its reveal.

Stick

Oct 30, 2017
Feels like it's a more updated D3. The cinema trailer looked awesome, but than the gameplay just felt like I was watching a slightly modified version of D3. It still doesn't seem like the sequel to D2 that I had hoped for.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
because Blizzard won't do it. They will give us the console option of offline with cheaters and the PC option of online without cheaters. I don't foresee them doing anything different than they did with Diablo 3.

That is exactly what I said in my post.

If you care to read the tweet further up from PCGamer it's implied that that the game is online at ALL times, including when playing solo as seeing as D4 is being developed as a multiplatform release from the get-go as opposed to PC first and ported to consoles later on. This might also be a forgone conclusion of the game being always online even for consoles, which means less options.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Her design has those horns tho?

Or are you referring to that three pointed blood "dress" she has at end of CGI? How you would make something like that practical as part of her body?

Hard to put into words really. The above one just feels much more iconic and memorable than the design I assume is her "main" design in the game

Like, of these two designs, which is the more striking and memorable one in your view?
EIUC2d2XUAEufbY

EIUtMr_WkAEM8kV

I personally find the translucent design with a huge membrane for a cape to be far superior to what kinda looks like Kerrigan with horns in a ragged dress

Shadout

Oct 27, 2017
99% soloable then. Still a far cry from the MMO you are afraid it will be.
Not really imo, It is one those either/or things. Either 100% or not. Hopefully a thing they are going to change. It sends a clear sign about their design choices otherwise if they are remotely okay with having "raid" content in an A-RPG. Hard to imagine they would care about keeping other parts of the game balanced either, or not have those raid bosses give any rewards.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am concerned about Druid gameplay given how their resource seems to work. I doesn't even seem possible to just be a caster. That should be a viable choice. Same with Barbarian honestly, having 80 weapons auto-switching kind takes the flair out of things.

We'll see.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Hard to put into words really. The above one just feels much more iconic and memorable than the design I assume is her "main" design in the game

Like, of these two designs, which is the more striking and memorable one in your view?
EIUC2d2XUAEufbY

EIUtMr_WkAEM8kV

I personally find the translucent design with a huge membrane for a cape to be far superior to what kinda looks like Kerrigan with horns in a ragged dress
Hopefully that version of her will be in the actual game at some point, it's definitely the superior version.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

EIUC2d2XUAEufbY

EIUtMr_WkAEM8kV

First looks really good. Second looks like UT3

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
Cinematic trailer was fantastic, Blizzard is still top-tier in the industry in that regard.
Gameplay looked solid and I like what I'm seeing so far.