• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I hope they bring absolutely nothing from it to D4. Not even the name, make it Iiablo 4 or something. There's nothing in Immortal that feels like an evolution over Diablo 3 to me and Diablo 3 already wasnt a golden standard to begin with. None of the tedious "community tasks" are what the series need.

D4 is already an MMO-lite with servers and what not. Pretty sure they are expanding to have more MMO-like functionality and likely are going to have many community-related features.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
D4 is already an MMO-lite with servers and what not. Pretty sure they are expanding to have more MMO-like functionality and likely are going to have many community-related features.

And its called Diablo too instead of Iiablo, my hopes were for nothing. Cool that i get to play something else and ignore it though.

Jul 12, 2022
Because it's totally false and perpetuates mobile gaming as somehow lesser than its console counterparts?
What is the importance of this? What does "lesser" even mean here? People mostly play on the platform they're most comfortable on and have best hardware for. I will often get PC versions of Nintendo games because I just prefer to sit on my PC. It has nothing to do with "lesser" or "greater".

I'm currently playing a lot of Plants vs Zombies. I believe it was a mobile game originally. There's no MTX on the PC version. Despite all the "perpetuation" the game has good reviews on Steam.

So I'm not sure what the issue is, are you genuinely afraid some game dev will create an amazing mobile game with 0 MTX and people will ignore it because it's on mobile?
So again, why not try and correct people when they say things that are categorically wrong?
Because this is in many ways a semantic argument, so "categorically wrong" doesn't exist here. In order for a claim to be made, there must be some sort of angle, goal. And I think the issue is that you seem to be assuming we all understand what your angle is and I honestly don't.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
A couple of things to note about Fire Emblem Heroes in this comparison.
The only Asian country it was available in at launch was Japan. China, Korea, Indonesia, etc, did not get the game at that time.
The game is still currently unavailable in China, Korea, and Indonesia, but has seen releases in other Asian regions, including Hong Kong and Taiwan.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great game to play through the story, not spend any money on and then uninstall. 10/10 tbh.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Also, the Chinese revenue estimates are included on there, it's just fewer days.
The article notes revenue til the publishing (today), whereas the Chinese launch was July 25 (4 days ago).
It does not include data on 3rd Party Android Stores, but that's the same for other regions, across all apps.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
In single player game terms, this is 1.7M copies sold of a $60 game. They sold more units of Diablo 2 in less time - in 2001.

I have to think they aren't super happy with these numbers.

Literally one of the fastest mobile games to reach this number, you bet they're happy with this number - especially with the late launch in China. "Single player terms" don't matter, mobile games are about recurring revenue.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
I will continue to ignore it and wait for Diablo 4.

and hope this taint doesn't spread to other games. But I guess if it does I'll just ignore those games too.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
Literally one of the fastest mobile games to reach this number, you bet they're happy with this number - especially with the late launch in China. "Single player terms" don't matter, mobile games are about recurring revenue.
Recurring revenue only matters if it continues to recur. What percentage of these players are going to drop when Diablo 4 appears? I would wager a large number. Remember, 30M (!!!) people pre-registered for this game. That means the each player has spent an average of $3.33 since it's been released.

Diablo III sold 3.5M copies on day one and 30M units overall. The amount of money Diablo makes as a standard single player game is staggering. My point is this: why did they bother with this instead of going full steam ahead on Diablo 4 when it was time? Maybe they thought they could pull 2B in a year?

My fear is they intend to integrate D4 with D:I to goad players into playing - and paying - for both.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Lol yes. I bet you love having microtransactions in your games and beg gaming companies to take your money instead of finding less egregious ways to do it.
I just don't get offended and understand that each game is made and monetised differently. If I don't like a game or it's ecosystem I don't play it lmao

You know the internets core premise was about opening yourself up to many different points of view and having the maturity to accept them, not just expecting everyone to fall in line behind the dominant one

Jul 12, 2022
Predatory games is not something we should be in favor of, regardless of whether you actually enjoy the game itself or not.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
it's interesting to me that mobile games can either be one of the most expensive or least expensive avenues of gaming. there are so many people who whale hard, yet so many who also vow to go f2p and never spend in these games. i find it fascinating games can be so predatory yet allow avenues for those without money to play and enjoy it.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The hype for it was pretty overwhelming tbh, I almost played it but for whatever reason it wasn't agreeing with my phone during launch and I lost interest.

Would love to see this on consoles, along with Diablo 4!

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Congrats to Blizzard. They took heavy criticism but it looks like they were right all along.

People just can't wrap their heads around newer gamers growing up playing on mobile phones not Nintendo devices anymore.

Also please save you're anecdote on how you have children or siblings that you forced to grow up playing on a Switch or something.
What is this argumentative point even about? We know mobile gaming is huge, and in actual fact it is millennials that make up the biggest user demographic due to available expenditure. Your "new gamers" are definitely more accustomed to mobile gaming, but that doesn't mean Switch is some boogie man. The thing has literally sold 100+ million plus units.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Congrats to Blizzard. They took heavy criticism but it looks like they were right all along.

People just can't wrap their heads around newer gamers growing up playing on mobile phones not Nintendo devices anymore.

Also please save you're anecdote on how you have children or siblings that you forced to grow up playing on a Switch or something.
Yes, congratulations for using this title as a crowning success for "new gamers" despite it being developed with predatory monetization so lewd that it's illegal in several countries, and should be regulated in all of them.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Monetiziation schemes like those found in Diablo Immortal should straight up be illegal.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't get offended and understand that each game is made and monetised differently. If I don't like a game or it's ecosystem I don't play it lmao

You know the internets core premise was about opening yourself up to many different points of view and having the maturity to accept them, not just expecting everyone to fall in line behind the dominant one
If egregiously monetised games like this are successful then it can affect everyone who has gaming as a hobby. Not just the people who paid for this. It's great to see you don't care but perhaps you should have the maturity to accept other peoples frustration on the matter even if you don't feel that way.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Seems low. I had fun going through the campaign coop (well besides the areas you were forced to solo) but we beat the campaign, did the first season pass and that was it for us. Might dip back in for an expansion otherwise roll on D4.

MR2

Apr 14, 2022
It's deserved, first mobile game that felt like a triple AAA console experience for me. I played it until lvl. 59 and left because I felt I've seen everything and zero interest in trying to go further or spend money. Can't wait until part 4 to come out, hopefully they don't try to monetize it with a AH or jewel upgrades.

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
How can anyone say "seems low" when it's the second fastest mobile game to $100M, ever? Lol.

It just launched in China too. This game could be making $400 or $500 million a year for a while as they add content.

It's a mobile game so I'd assume the development cost involved is much lower than the development cost of Diablo 4.

Oct 29, 2017
What is this argumentative point even about? We know mobile gaming is huge, and in actual fact it is millennials that make up the biggest user demographic due to available expenditure. Your "new gamers" are definitely more accustomed to mobile gaming, but that doesn't mean Switch is some boogie man. The thing has literally sold 100+ million plus units.
There is no argument just a congrats.

Fiel

Oct 30, 2017
I think this is an incredibly shortsighted way to view things, but for some reason people keep saying stuff like this.
Yeah , in reality this isn't even count PC, China launched

And Sensor tower number is really different from actual number. There is many 3rd party top up that sensor tower also cant detect at all

So, this number is at least only around half if I would say

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
So I guess we can expect more insidious MTX all over D4 since it's so successful for them unfortunately.

It was already kind of obvious where they were going with the MMO, setup, but oh well.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
This is the usual Sensor Tower guestimates, they don't really have any real numbers to back this up.
I'm not personally familiar with Sensortower, but the way most of these services work is a number of publishers and developers will allow access to their actual numbers (for various added functionality or discount incentives) which can then be applied across the available rankings data to come up with some pretty solid estimates for games they don't have direct insight into. When evaluating which service to sign up to, we've been in a position to compare our actual results to what those services had for us to gauge accuracy and the results were usually "close enough to be useful in commercial decision making". If anything, they have a tendency to underestimate revenue, especially on the advertising revenue side.

As a related aside, my market intelligence service puts the number of mobile installs at just shy of 9m.