• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
So during the sale I bought the Diablo 3 Eternal Collection on Switch with pretty much my intention being to get it for the local multiplayer.

What I expected was just the PC version outfitted to work on a console.

What I got was a complexly re-outfitted, much better game than I remembered playing. First off, using the right stick to dodge makes combat already tons of fun to use.

Combat feels about a thousand times more responsive and attacks have weight to them. I played as a Necromancer and I couldn't believe how much fun it was to mash buttons and spam a zombie army at enemies over and over again. Leveling was fast enough to allow me to constantly get new skills, and I don't know what was done with the drop rate but the appearance of Legendary items even on Normal difficulty have been frequent.

So much so that I was able to jump from Normal to Master without much trouble after just a little time in Adventure mode, which is also a ton of fun.

Oh and speaking of items, I cannot believe what was done with the inventory screen. No more of that cluttered, unsorted mess where you could pretty much carry, I don't know, around twenty items or so at a time? Now there's an actual good inventory limit of 60 and the ability to mark items as junk to instantly salvage at once has been an absolute treat. That's not to mention being able to craft rare items a lot easier, what with Veiled Crystals not being hard to find with the abundance of rare item drops.

Out of curiosity I went back to the PC version to see if any of those QoL changes had been applied there as well, and much to my surprise they weren't. Like...the bad inventory system is still there, and combat just feels slow and unsatisfying with the constant clicking.

So yeah, if you ever wanted to get into Diablo III, get the Switch version.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Welcome to the console experience of Diablo. It is tons of times better. I double dipped it on the PS3 and then triple dipped it on the PS4 to play it with friends. We finished it multiple times and had an amazing time. It was waaaay better than playing on the PC.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Local multiplayer is always more enjoyable imo, loved playing through it locally with friends.

Oct 27, 2017
OP you're likely to get murdered in this thread with such talk but, yes, Diablo III is a fantastic and quite different experience with a controller dating back to the Xbox 360, etc versions. Combat is just incredibly satisfying with a controller.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Isn't it the same as PS4 and XBox? I played it on the PS4 and it's a much better experience than PC indeed.

I haven't even finished the main campaign on PC.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
People are saying what I already knew in the 90s with Diablo 1 on PS1. The game just plays better with a controller.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah i beat it on the xbox 360
And got about half way through it on xbox one. Its one of the few games where the console experience was superior to the pc one

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Exactly the same on Xbox at least. The dodge function on controller makes combat more fun.

Inventory management though is better on PC.

PhantomArtifice

Lead Administrator at Final Weapon
Verified
Apr 24, 2019
USA
It's a very solid port. Picked it up at launch back in November of 2018, enjoyed a lot back when I played it.

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
I've been tempted to try it out. It would be nice if Blizzard would patch in controller support for the PC version.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
When did you last play on PC? The legendary drop rate and the combat feel should be essentially the same as on PC as of the same patch.

I definitely agree it's a great port though. They did a phenomenal job adapting it to a controller, and I totally agree that the inventory is like a million times better. There are still issues, like targeting specific enemies or areas can be a bit finicky, but overall it's a joy to play on console (Switch for me too).

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Diablo 3 console ports were so successful that D4 PC will have controller support.

Switch port is the absolute best port and I've bought this game four goddamn times and put several thousand hours into the game since 2012. I should know by now.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
When used to kb/m for these top down ARPG, I find it more enjoyable on pc. Targeting of certain skills feel much more natural with a mouse than gamepad. Free dodge roll is nice but I can live without.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Nah the inventory is also massively improved.

And using an analog stick to move rather than clicks makes it feel a lot more responsive and intuitive. Not a major change i guess but still very noticeable.

I guess we have to disagree here, I find the inventory and the fact that you have to spin around a wheel to select a slot annoying as hell.

Being able to target skills with precision and even just hovering over items in the inventory are much better for me personally on PC.

edit: I've got the game on PC, PS4, and Switch so obviously I like the console versions but I don't think they're any way better than PC.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
It's a slightly different game, yes but not a thousand times better. It's not even better at all if you prefer the kb+m interface.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
It's not just Switch - Diablo 3 is outright superior on console. One of the very games were you can actually say that (and many will agree with you)

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the console version of Diablo III much more too especially on Switch as casual handheld sessions are a bonus.

I legit prefer Path or Exile on console because of the controls too it's just a pity it runs like shit in the later chapters and runs really, really shit in maps. PoE is one of the major reasons I want a PS5 ASAP lol.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
likewise the same experience on PS4 and Xbox. So it's more like, "If you ever wanted to get into Diablo III, get it on consoles".

Of course if you really value portability that changes.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The dodge mechanic is pretty much useless, that being said I do enjoy the controller controls and it's terrible that the PC version doesn't have that.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Inventory management with local co op is a fucking nightmare is my main beef. Only one person at a time being able to set skills or equip items sucks ass.

Otherwise it's great

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno about switch but lmao @ people saying that the game is better on consoles then it is on PC when the PS4 and X1 versions are rampart with hackers.

Nothing more fun then joining a game and see your paragon spike up to 3 digits.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
....this is just console Diablo the way it's been since D3 released on PS3 and 360, there isn't anything special about the Switch version specifically.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I guess we have to disagree here, I find the inventory and the fact that you have to spin around a wheel to select a slot annoying as hell.

Being able to target skills with precision and even just hovering over items in the inventory are much better for me personally on PC.

edit: I've got the game on PC, PS4, and Switch so obviously I like the console versions but I don't think they're any way better than PC.

I find the inventory system on console to be much simpler and quicker, but yeah I guess it's a subjective thing. Either way it's a huge difference between the two versions.

I do agree that the lack of precision targeting can be a big issue, especially with certain builds (bubble Wizard comes to mind).

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Great port on Switch, no doubt. But better than what the PC version IS?? Not even close.

Maybe from a very casual perspective I could see it but pushing GRs and doing anything needing precision like movement abilities, etc will never be better with a controller over kb/m.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I have the game on PS4 and have barely touched it, but seeing it on sale from time to time on Switch tempts me. Most double-dips I've done on Switch, whether the original version was PC or a different console, seems to just have a better chance of me playing it due to the handheld nature of most of my Switch playtime.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Great port on Switch, no doubt. But better than what the PC version IS?? Not even close.

Maybe from a very casual perspective I could see it but pushing GRs and doing anything needing precision like movement abilities, etc will never be better with a controller over kb/m.

This is console land so kinda expected really. Not that I begrudge them, it's understandable if you're more used to controllers.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, this. It's definitely more comfortable for casual play though.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The controller inventory is a chore, though it is nice to have more item space. You're likely spending more time marking items as junk than the average PC player is just right clicking the shit.

Dodge is good and so is controller support in general.

Oct 25, 2017

I know i'm going to sound like an elitist asshole saying this but it's always sounded to me that the people saying console D3 is outright better than PC weren't
pushing the game as hard. I remember similar threads last gen around the time PC players were grinding out goblins in Act 2 inferno and there was no way console players could play as efficient with their inventory management.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
You can choose not to click to move, in fact I don't do that. Use force move key, I bind it to w.

or space bar

or mouse wheel like some necromancers on various builds to make lancers pop in a way you can't with a pad.

numlock says hi

there's plenty of comfort on pc if you use certain tools. Seriously shows some have no clue of the top end. Wizard bazooka with macros is infinitely better than manual pc which is far easier than on pad. Multi shot force move is basically holding two button and clearing screens wherever you point.

I do prefer some barb or monk setups on pad though.

plebs gonna play like plebs though.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I wish there was cross save. Pretty sure I own it on three different platforms at this point, but don't play on any of them because I can never choose which platform I prefer lol. I love the game though, definitely worth the buy. I probably have hundreds of hours in it overall.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say may experience playing Diablo on console was indeed a lot better than on PC.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Eh I'm far more efficient with the kb/mouse combo. The dodge button is only there to try to minimize the drawbacks of using a controller since you have a lot less time to react/anticipate what'S coming your way (think auto aim with controllers)

It's still a fantastic game but PC will always be the superior way for me

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I personally find the classic point-and-click combat on PC to be more satisfying, but I enjoyed my time with the console versions of Diablo quite a bit. I might wind up revisiting it this summer for some co-op runs with my roommates.

I'm looking forward to Diablo 4 particularly because, from what I've gathered, it's aiming to be the best of both worlds by offering the option to use a gamepad to PC players while still catering to ARPG dinosaurs like me who stubbornly insist on ruining the M1 button on their mice. I'm glad the option will exist.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
This is why I've beaten it a few times on PS4 and haven't gotten far on PC. Would've been nice to see them add controller support for it at some point.