• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Knight77

Oct 25, 2017
When it was released I played the original game on PC and I enjoyed it. Now I finished Children of Morta playing it in coop with my wife so we decided to play D3 again, on console with all the expansions. I bought Diablo III eternal collection which includes the original game + Reaper of souls + the Necromancer exp. Point is that we started the game, Act1 and we went on killing everything without any minimum problem. Then I tried to rise up the difficulty to hard..same result. I could just stay there and monster trying to hit me but no blood lost. Then I went on trying Expert the only thing it's that killing the monsters takes more time but I am still there with no blood Lost. I also noticed that even if I am very early in the game I am looting shields level 60 swords level 20, looks a bit weird for characters level 7.

Going in like this it's just no fun.

Am I missing something?

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Diablo 3 is very easy but you shouldnt loot lvl 60 sword at lvl 7.

Were you in a party with a higher level character ?

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
They have a stupid thing where you have to complete the Campaign to unlock anything past Expert difficulty IIRC, they also made several changes to the console version (over the years since release) where now basically anything beneath Torment is a cake walk.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
diablo 3 has changed a lot since it's release. i have never played it on consoles, but as far as I know it's pretty much the same as on pc.
I can confirm it's very easy on pc now as well.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
D3 is about Adventure mode. The Story is a fraction of the long term value.

Grinding, season and greater rifting is what it's all about.

effin

Jan 20, 2019
I had the exact same problem and it caused me to drop the game. Picked it up on switch release and realised that everything was stupidly easy, so I raised the difficulty to expert and had the same problem still. I dropped it cause I didn't want to have to play the entire game before I could up the difficulty and be allowed to have any sense of challenge.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
D3 is pretty easy on lower difficulty settings. Tbh thats a problem with way too many ARPGs like it and I am kinda sad about that.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The difficulty modes are misnamed now. Torment 1 should be called Normal while anything below Torment should be called Easy 1, Easy 2, Easy 3, etc.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
I played through the campaign cooperatively on PS4 with my cousin. While pretty fun, it was stupidly easy. I'm not one to endlessly grind for gear so I never bothered returning. I know the focus and resources go more towards end game stuff but Blizzard really should have balanced the campaign a bit more.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Can't do that until 70.

When I start a new season, it usually takes me two hours to level a character to 70.

The story mode in Diablo 3 is about as disposable as the story in a Battlefield game. As I said, it's all about Adventure mode, grinding and rifting.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Its not hard when you start, just longer to beat enemies. Story mode wont drive you toward big achivements. Just enjoy it as it, ince youll be hitting higher level, youll notice you will need to tone down difficulty in order to follow up faster. I could say once you hit lvl 30 and up you will start to feel a bit more difficult.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
The gf and I beat the whole campaign and DLC without dying once on the highest difficulty. I hear you OP. We didn't do any endgame activities though; we weren't in it for the grind.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
When I start a new season, it usually takes me two hours to level a character to 70.

The story mode in Diablo 3 is about as disposable as the story in a Battlefield game. As I said, it's all about Adventure mode, grinding and rifting.
I only mention it because the OP is talking about only being able to play story mode so it's kinda pointless to say try a harder difficulty when that's not an option for them. Or you were just talking in general and not about this specific topic.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
D3 is designed to rush you to end game so you can push greater neph rifts, that's the game.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
I only mention it because the OP is talking about only being able to play story mode so it's kinda pointless to say try a harder difficulty when that's not an option for them. Or you were just talking in general and not about this specific topic.

The OP specifically asks if they're missing something. The long term appeal of the game is not the story mode. If you watch any stream of D3, I'll be willing to bet that in almost all cases, it's not story mode being played. Just like most multiplayer games wont be the story mode being played.

Reaper Of Souls was released in 2014. Since then, almost all of the improvements, seasons, mechanics, meta has been geared towards the post game activities and grind. This is what I am trying to highlight when people play the story mode and ask themselves if they're missing anything.

Geedorah

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like you were in a multiplayer game? You should not be getting loot that is over level... Stick to solo and beat the adventure, and then go onto rifting/coop. D3 is a pretty fun game, even if it is showing it's age.

sxiebonjour

Oct 25, 2017
I think the point of gameplay of diablo games is to build up your character so that you can breeze through levels. It doesn't sound fun to me to take one minute to kill a single mob.

That said from my experience the reaper of souls really ramps the difficulty. I felt outleveled at some bosses in the expansion campaign.

OP
OP
Knight77

Knight77

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the feedback btw just to clarify: I didn't play in multiplayer I just started it in local coop with my wife, from the beginning, level 1.
For what I am understanding I need to finish the story to the do something and feel a minimum challenge. Mah...if I knew it I would not guy it...it's just no fun at all. I enjoyed Children of Morta much much more.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
You should basically speedrun the campaign solo on easy (or the lowest that takes zero effort and doesn't stall on anything) and ignore everything to unlock the actually fun difficulties, then you can use them in co-op too and any other time you play.

It's dumb but at least you only have to do it once, vs a lot of older ARPGs where you have to play through babby easy every time you start a new character.

Last edited:

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
You blast through the campaign in a day or two and then the real game starts with adventure mode on different extra difficulties that get you better drops and experience and such.

It's a really fun game, especially on console but the campaign kinda sucks but it's quick and easy enough to get through to get to the fun part of the game.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Thanks for the feedback btw just to clarify: I didn't play in multiplayer I just started it in local coop with my wife, from the beginning, level 1.
For what I am understanding I need to finish the story to the do something and feel a minimum challenge. Mah...if I knew it I would not guy it...it's just no fun at all. I enjoyed Children of Morta much much more.

It's a really cool story about the metaphysical and existence itself, maybe play it for that if you don't find the base difficulty challenging? :)

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
The campaign is short and easy. Diablo is all about the grind. If you get into rifts, it can get interesting...as long as you like grinding.

I started a game called Grim Dawn today. It seems super easy as well.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
The OP specifically asks if they're missing something. The long term appeal of the game is not the story mode. If you watch any stream of D3, I'll be willing to bet that in almost all cases, it's not story mode being played. Just like most multiplayer games wont be the story mode being played.

Reaper Of Souls was released in 2014. Since then, almost all of the improvements, seasons, mechanics, meta has been geared towards the post game activities and grind. This is what I am trying to highlight when people play the story mode and ask themselves if they're missing anything.
The problem is, the 1-69 grind is still there in 2020. It is literally pointless and I completely understand if people are put off by it. New players especially are not going to be able to reach lvl. 70 in a few hours.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
The easier difficulties aren't hard at all. It doesn't really get hard until you play on the torment difficulties.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a game people play for months and years. The campaign is just a hurdle you have to do once to unlock adventure mode, which is the "real game."

It's still all about grinding loot though. It's a loot game.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is, the 1-69 grind is still there in 2020. It is literally pointless and I completely understand if people are put off by it. New players especially are not going to be able to reach lvl. 70 in a few hours.

Pretty much this. Levels 1-69 are pretty much a complete waste of time. At some point in the last 5 years they should just have made the paragon levels the normal levels.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Yep. It's a band-aid on a broken game. It's much much much better than it was at launch, but it definitely still has progression issues. Hopefully Diablo IV learns from it

Oct 27, 2017
D3 changed MASSIVELY since its launch. I honestly think they should remove the campaign completely as it gives a false impression of what the game really is. Adventure mode is THE mode to play. The game is about finding efficient builds to push greater rifts. The story is less than 1% of my total D3 playtime.

Edit: Actually the TRUE end game isn't even finding the builds since everyone already knows which ones to use and the exact gear to go for. The end game is farming greater rifts looking for the perfect one that you can clear efficiently.

Last edited:

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
The campaign in D3 is essentially a really long tutorial. Endgame doesn't start until you hit the Torment levels and run the rifts.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
I couldnt get into the endgame loot, since it was grind to get loot, to grind some more? Some optional bosses to work towards would have helped give z goal, as after i got my equipment i was kinda tired of grinding greater rifts for very little payoff.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. It's a band-aid on a broken game. It's much much much better than it was at launch, but it definitely still has progression issues. Hopefully Diablo IV learns from it

If it was broken, then people wouldn't be playing this game in 2020. The new season starts this Friday, and has it's own set of new mechanics. The levelling to 70 on seasonal characters, which for those who have knowledge of the game only takes a few hours (and after, much less if you have a levelled Gem of Ease) is there to allow you to learn those mechanics. The guys running D3 have for a long time found interesting new ways of keeping the game enjoyable - and recently they've been putting new gear into the mix. Not bad for a game that after a bad launch really came into its own after Reaper of Souls (which I say again was released almost six years ago).

D3's longevity is one of the reasons Blizzard have got away with it's many botched attempts to start developing Diablo IV. And with what they've learned since RoS, don't expect D4 to be not unlike D3's endgame in a great many ways. As hydruxo accurately stated, the campaign is a tutorial. Once you get into the Season play, and then once the Season is over, see your loot and paragon roll into your non-seasonal characters, you see your powerlevel grow time and time again. It's really rewarding.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Am I missing something?
Difficult games :(

Lately, that's been my complain, too, when it comes to games of this or similar genre. I really love Diablo 3 for it's story and lore and visuals and the mechanics that get important after you've finished it. Don't buy into people saying "it only begins after you reach level 70 and/or finished it". Yes, there are new mechanics to explore and that's when the fine tuning of your gear gets important. But that's really all there is. You doing the adventure mode and do endless bounty hunt missions to farm resources you need to improve your gear in order to... grind more. And you improve your gear to do higher lvl (Greater) Rifts and try to beat them faster. And that's it. No PvP, no tournaments (except for the leaderboard and seasons), no additional chapters, stories, real content (except for very few levels to get e.g. the horadric cube.) If you're someone who would spend weeks and months on an arcade to beat someone else's highscore than the endgame is for you. Otherwise I'd recommend play the story, try out the additional content after you beat the last boss and move on.

Seeing that you already have no fun it seems characters, gameplay and story doesn't make you enjoy the game. In that case, it doesn't get any better (except if you like the above mentioned) and you should move on.

Also, the campaign should never be a hurdle. It's something many devs haven't come around to find a solution for when people have their 10th char and want them in endgame. The same "problem" modern MMO suffer from. WoW Classic offers a challenge but no one wants to level for months to get another character on max level so once a game of this or similar genre is out for a while they introduce mechanics that takes all the challenge out of the campaign, which sucks for newcomers, but is great for people who play since day one. And that's it when the campaign becomes a hurdle. Which sucks.

Last edited:

Malawhur

Oct 27, 2017
I think their motivation is to help people reach end game as fast as possible. They cater to (especially after so many years on the market) to players that will play it for thousands of hours. I totally agree with you though. I played it for the campaign only and had the same problem.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I started a new game with my brother last weekend who was in the same boat as you. He wanted to start on Hard, but I told him that would be ridiculously easy, especially with two of us, and we should start on Master and move up through the Torrents as they unlock and we gear up.

"So then why does Hard even exist?"
"...I dunno. Maybe for people who have literally never played a video game before?"

Like not even in a "git gud" sense. Hard mode is literally too easy for anyone who knows how a controller works. I don't know why Blizzard scaled the difficulty like that.

DefiedFaith

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I had the exact same problem and it caused me to drop the game. Picked it up on switch release and realised that everything was stupidly easy, so I raised the difficulty to expert and had the same problem still. I dropped it cause I didn't want to have to play the entire game before I could up the difficulty and be allowed to have any sense of challenge.

I had the same issue. I quit both the PS4 and the Switch version because of how boringly easy is was.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I much prefer the story mode as it was at launch. Drops were sparse and the tuning was quite brutal.

Playing it now just feels like a waste of time. All of this probably isn't helped by the fact that the game for me is always just the story mode. I don't care much for endless grind without the narrative justifying it.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The game is badly balanced in that the difficulty only ramps up once you get to torment in adventure mode. The rest of the modes are piss easy. The campaign is a joke. Then again it's an endgame oriented game. Maybe they'll do better with D4