• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is Diablo 4 Blizzard's Chinese Democracy?
FreeColorlessAmericanshorthair-small.gif

Post of the month!

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
How is this still years away lol, it's been 10 years since D3 came out? Have they just been doing that cinematic?

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
How is this still years away lol, it's been 10 years since D3 came out? Have they just been doing that cinematic?

It has been less than 8 years since D3 came out.

After Diablo 2: LOD, we had to wait 10 years for Diablo 3 which was not what some D1/D2 fans wanted.

When D4 comes out, some fans have been waiting 20+ years for the true sequel to D2.

I am really pleased with the direction they have taken with D4. I can wait few years for this.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
So... they literally just announced the shiny toy everyone wanted as a distraction

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Rushed reveal due to the Hong Kong backlash? Probably. Those graphics will be outdated by late 2021 due to the next gen console releases.
It was clearly announced to confront the Hong Kong backlash
So... they literally just announced the shiny toy everyone wanted as a distraction
Surely you're not serious? Do you think that cinematic was made in 2 weeks?

Thornquist

Jan 22, 2018
Norway
It has been less than 8 years since D3 came out.

After Diablo 2: LOD, we had to wait 10 years for Diablo 3 which was not what some D1/D2 fans wanted.

When D4 comes out, some fans have been waiting 20+ years for the true sequel to D2.

I am really pleased with the direction they have taken with D4. I can wait few years for this.
Try being a Warcraft 3 fan, and then come back to me.

Oct 29, 2017
Not damage control, I think D3 was also announced at least three years in advance. Starcraft 2 as well.

SOP for Blizz.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't this game originally going to be announced last year too?

Squirt

Oct 28, 2017
I was super hyped yesterday. Now that I know it's probably 2 years out and no sign of a D2 remaster, I think I'm more excited about Diablo Immortal... but even that doesn't seem to be coming anytime soon... sad times.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
They are announcing this early so that investors could shut up about Hong Kong

You think longterm investors care? Stock will bounce back soon enough.

Surely you're not serious? Do you think that cinematic was made in 2 weeks?

Or that huge Lillith statue. Or D4 art into Art of Diablo book that most likely was locked down with release date mooonths ago. Or spitshined gameplay demo.

Yet some genuinely seem to think this all was just because HK.

Wasn't this game originally going to be announced last year too?

Supposedly yes and was pulled at last minute.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
The Xbox One and PS4 will still be around by then? Assuming 2021 or 2022.

The systems are BC though, but that still is a lie for the people sticking with the old consoles first.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
even pre hong kong they kinda had no choice but to show it. like bethesda with Elder Scrolls 6 and Starfield you can only shuffle attention away from the 800 lb gorilla for so long.

i think they're gaslighting us with the "TBA very not soon" bit for some leeway, in case it really does drag out. but just my hunch

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda surprised that these games take so long to make but I only play the story mode one time through. I'm guessing it's a lot of work adding all the extra multiplayer and grind on top.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Pre-alpha footage miles behind what POE and others are already doing isn't exciting at all. Also, the fact this won't be released for another 2-3 years minimum makes this announcement a joke.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kinda surprised that these games take so long to make but I only play the story mode one time through. I'm guessing it's a lot of work adding all the extra multiplayer and grind on top.

loot games are kind of 12 dimensional chess making sure you don't have a dumpster fire out of the gate. and that's just accounting for balance not the rest of production, in which they could be who knows how far along

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Diablo 3 took four years after the announcement to actually release.

But when it launched it was so bad they had to spend another two years trying to fix it.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For context Diablo 3 was announced four years before it came out.

That's the bar for "Blizzard Soon".

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Yeah old Blizz was known for having a slow output but I would have thought they would have at least a release date for one of the titles shown. I'm only interested in Diablo 4.
I don't think Diablo 4 is as far as most make it seem. 2021 would be my guess, which is only 2 years, or a year and a half.

Yushi

Nov 27, 2017
Don't announce Diablo 4 last year. People whine
Announce Diablo 4, but still ways off. People whine.

Got to love working in the entertainment business

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
They've been planning this since last Blizzcon, lol.

Oh trust me, I get that. People tend to treat video game development and marketing as some hyper-fast thing, and the particular timing of the HK controversy only compounds on that.

But it is what it is, as unfair as it is. And this doesn't help.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Oh trust me, I get that. People tend to treat video game development and marketing as some hyper-fast thing, and the particular timing of the HK controversy only compounds on that.

But it is what it is, as unfair as it is. And this doesn't help.
Ah yeah I actually just misread your post. Sorry!