• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What is the general consensus on this? Plays well? Looks good? I'm not expecting 4k goodness obviously but some review was saying it looked muddy and fuzzy?

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw some gameplay/review of the switch version and couldn't tell what was actually happening. It was totally bananas. It looked awesome! There is so much happening on screen and happening fast. I don't truly understand the game play involved. It almost looked like spamming attack over and over or is there an element of defense and strategy there but I couldn't see it?

In the game's early going, you generally have a resource generator (Basic attack), a resource spender (More powerful attack which eats your resources) and then your other skills are likely going to be mobility/defensive utility or extra damage spells that are nice for single or area damage. As you make your way through the game and progress into the end game, you'll get gear that expands upon individual skills or create new, significant synergies that usually require some effort on the player's part to maintain those effects, which end up defining end game builds.

For example, my Necromancer's currently built towards stuns because he has a ring which gives him a 100% damage buff on slowed enemies, and triples that if enemies have more impactful crowd control on them. Some spells freeze enemies in place which will give me that bonus. I then also have legendaries that make one of my pet create corpses (A special Necromancer resource) which are then consumed by Corpse Explosion, which itself freezes and deals a massive bursts of damage because of another legendary that has a stacking damage buff for rapid corpse explosions, but I still have to maintain a curse (A debuff) on at least one enemy at any given time to maintain a huge damage mitigation buff so I don't die almost immediately.

It's neat, there's logic to what's going on at high level play especially when you start pushing the limits of your character and you need to start paying way more attention to enemy positioning, buffs and how you use your skills to not get blown up.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
What is the general consensus on this? Plays well? Looks good? I'm not expecting 4k goodness obviously but some review was saying it looked muddy and fuzzy?

I played in handheld last night with full brightness and I geuss it did look a bit like that?
Haven't tried dock yet. But I'll do that tonight.

Oct 26, 2017
Local co-op works smooth as butter so far. Menu stuff is a bit annoying but also serves as good beer/bathroom breaks or just stuff to do while other people aren't around. Think I'm going to get a lot of mileage out of local play

Kass15

Jan 14, 2018
Does Walmart not get Nintendo games on release day anymore? I'm checking Brickseek and no Walmart around me has it in stock.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Is Diablo pretty much a Musou game?

No, not at all. It's an isometric action RPG. All about stats, gear, and combining skills for maximum effect.

It's totally a Musou game. Diablo 3 is. D1 and D2 aren't but D3 no doubt. Exploding dozens upon dozens of enemies on the screen in the flashiest way possible is so fundamental to both that it's impossible to deny the overlap. :) Of course the game structure diverges from there but ...Doablo is now pretty much a Musou game indeed. :D

Just asking again; does seasons require the Nintendo online subscription?
Is this playable offline?
Guys, the OP has an FAQ section that addresses this in detail.

Q3: Can this game be played without an Internet connection? Do I need Nintendo Online subscription to play?
Unlike the PC version of the game, which requires the player to be logged into their Battle.net account at all times, the console versions of Diablo 3 do not require an Internet connection to play. This is the same for the Switch version.

For offline (solo, couch and wireless co-op) and solo Season play, a Nintendo Online sub is not required. This matches the policy on the other two consoles.

For online co-op play of any kind, a Nintendo Online sub is required.
people put work into these so you don't have to go and ask these questions

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's totally a Musou game. Diablo 3 is. D1 and D2 aren't but D3 no doubt. Exploding dozens upon dozens of enemies on the screen in the flashiest way possible is so fundamental to both that it's impossible to deny the overlap. :) Of course the game structure diverges from there but ...Doablo is now pretty much a Musou game indeed. :D

Guys, the OP has an FAQ section that addresses this in detail.

people put work into these so you don't have to go and ask these questions
i dunno man. musou doesnt have such a skill tree system that allows to create completely different characters even if its the same class. this has been watered down in d3 for sure but overall its characters are much more customizable.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Can you point out where Diablo 3 turned into a Musou game? Is it the existence of a Massacre bonus for chaining kills?

TroubledChica

Oct 31, 2017

I know that you mentioned that it diverges from there but I kind of want to point out that this is something folks get wrong about Musou games. The gameplay loop isn't mowing down 100's of folks, that'd get pretty stale.

It's about doing that in tandem with managing multiple objectives & goals, holding keeps and making sure your army & health bars don't get depleted, usually with strict timing. Mowing down folks is the engine to get to this, but that's what a musou does.

Diablo 3 has you mowing down folks but the objectives are usually just... kill that person or kill x amount of enemies. The gameplay loop discovered is the addiction to finding better loot so you can try tons of new ways to synergize skills/equipment.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

Can you point out where Diablo 3 turned into a Musou game? Is it the existence of a Massacre bonus for chaining kills?

Hadn't seen late(r)-game D2 in a long time. Forgot about the mass explodiness of it. Lump them together then :D

I know that you mentioned that it diverges from there but I kind of want to point out that this is something folks get wrong about Musou games. The gameplay loop isn't mowing down 100's of folks, that'd get pretty stale.

It's about doing that in tandem with managing multiple objectives & goals, holding keeps and making sure your army & health bars don't get depleted, usually with strict timing. Mowing down folks is the engine to get to this, but that's what a musou does.

Diablo 3 has you mowing down folks but the objectives are usually just... kill that person or kill x amount of enemies. The gameplay loop discovered is the addiction to finding better loot so you can try tons of new ways to synergize skills/equipment.
It's not a serious comparison, just a fun one :D

X Y XXXX Y XX YY, XXXX Y XXXX Y and clickclickclickclickclickclickclickwhatdoyoumeanicouldjustholdthebuttondownclickclickclickclick go hand in hand to me :D

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
The only thing that sucks for a fourth time buyer is playing through the story once again. Besides that the crusader is on a rampagw purifying the lands and smashing in demon skulls.

If this is your first time playing destroy everything, I just got a orange level rarity at level 7 for demolishing a table.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
I'm new to this game completely.

So my Witch Doctor is equipped with a dagger to start (now a bow which seems to take up both hands). These weapons are symbolic and just for stats/buffs right? Right now I changed my A button from poison dart to a bottle of spiders, the stats from this bow I'm holding are what my A button attack (bottle of spiders) is doing?

Also, between Bottle of Spiders and Poison Dart....I can only pick one or the other for A button, correct? I can't use both?

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to pick this up. Going to get it after work.

200 hrs on PS4, 100 on PC and I'll probably top that on Switch.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Also, between Bottle of Spiders and Poison Dart....I can only pick one or the other for A button, correct? I can't use both?
You will be able to use both later on once you level up some more and unlock the other face buttons.

Hit Start, go to gameplay and select elective mode to have more freedom of what you can equip later on.

Never played a Witch doctor, but you never want to equip something that may remove abilities. For example I just equipped a two handed melee weapon on a level 7 crusader and found myself with out my shield abilities. Switched back to a one handed melee and shield immediately afterwards.

Last edited:

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
How are people finding the 'shake to roll' feature on the Joy-Cons? Annoying or bearable?

I haven't played the game but I'm gonna buy it soon, so just curious, is that only when you're playing with the joy cons detached? Surely you don't have to do that with the pro controller/controller grip or the console in handheld mode right?

dat boi

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't played the game but I'm gonna buy it soon, so just curious, is that only when you're playing with the joy cons detached? Surely you don't have to do that with the pro controller/controller grip or the console in handheld mode right?

Yeah only when detached, to compensate for fewer buttons and inputs available.

Kamagii

Oct 27, 2017
South of Heaven
you guys are making it very hard to not leave work early today to pick it up at best buy. Already preordered the Treasure goblin last night. Wish I would have taken the day to just lay in bed and play all day...enjoy!

TerryLee81

Oct 26, 2017
I really like this port. Played handheld only till now.

But the battery seems to drain pretty quick while playing this.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Mario Kart co-op online doesn't use two profiles. It uses a main profile and then a guest.

"It's completely different because the other players aren't making use of distinct local profiles with their own progression and such stored completely separately. But that's core to Diablo 3. Each player's characters are stored in that player's profile / saves. The same basic kind of "anonymous guest" can't sensibly be used."

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Mario Kart co-op online doesn't use two profiles. It uses a main profile and then a guest.

"It's completely different because the other players aren't making use of distinct local profiles with their own progression and such stored completely separately. But that's core to Diablo 3. Each player's characters are stored in that player's profile / saves. The same basic kind of "anonymous guest" can't sensibly be used."

MK uses a guest profile for that which doesn't save any progression.

Thanks, that explains it.

mandiller

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I can't believe how good this is! Handheld Diablo, in native res and 60fps. I never played the console versions before so playing on a controller is a brand new experience. Luckily the controls are really intuitive and pretty comfy compared to the mouse. Really impressed.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Guuuuys where did my day go? I enjoy this tons! Almost Lv 40 Demon Hunter, will probably start some other classes as well.

Necromancer though, are they OP? Everytime one joins a party everything dies so much quicker it's crazy!

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I assume Season Mode is an online only thing? If I am going to be playing this on the subway a lot I should have an offline character?

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
or you could just tether to your phone
I'm not home and this is exactly what I did. It's not rocket science and that check isn't a huge download or anything.

Edit: really nice to see there's a proper profile for each player. I was complaining about this in the Pokemon thread the other day.