• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Chef's kiss to Vicarious Visions by the way (specially if someone at the studio ever reads this). THPS1+2 was crazy good and it looks like their work here will be too.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Ah, I misread your question. I imagine it'll end up being the same in Remastered. It wouldn't be hardcore if I had a dozen legendaries in my stash ready for a new HC character.

So then HC doesn't have a shared stash...? :) This is what I'm curious about, if you can just dump all decent leveling gear into your HC shared stash every time you go through the game it snowballs into the new HC characters you create down the line.

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Never played Diablo. So watched the trailer and how many times did they remaster this game?

This is the first time it has been remastered. It got updates and tiny fixes and content for many years since its release in 2000, but this is the first time it will be remastered. Basically 21 years and a half after its original release date.

Oct 25, 2017
Saw how this looked and was all in. Then I saw no couch co-op and now I'm unfortunately all out. That's all I wanted from it since I play these type of games with my wife.

Surprisingly few good arpg's has it.

Last edited:

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
So then HC doesn't have a shared stash...? :) This is what I'm curious about, if you can just dump all decent leveling gear into your HC shared stash every time you go through the game it snowballs into the new HC characters you create down the line.

I never played HC in Diablo 2 but according to this wiki, a HC character loses everything (equipped, inventory, and stash) upon death:

Hardcore - Diablo Wiki

Hardcore is a game mode that was introduced to the Diablo franchise in Diablo II and which has since become emblematic of the series. It's been enabled in other RPGs as well, but is still unheard of in most titles and MMOs.
Hardcore characters are identical to normal/regular ("Softcore") characters in every way but one; when a hardcore character dies, that's it. There is no resurrection, no restarting in town. They're mortal, and are gone forever when they die, along with all the equipment they were using (barring "loot" by friends), everything in their inventory/cube/stash, etc.

But you could probably create a mule to just hold onto whatever equipment you wanted to keep and then pass that onto a new character.

Oct 25, 2017
Man the lack of couch co-op is bumming me out !
No, Diablo 3 is badly dumbed down because of it being designed around smooth couch co-op.
Diablo 3's couch coop has nothing to do with how the game is. This would literally just be like multiplayer coop but local controller and then switch inventory depending on the player that enters it (and then some ui work). Even in diablo 3 you can still only look at 1 persons inventory etc at a time.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Between the Crash Trilogy, Destiny 2, Tony Hawk 1 + 2 and now this, I'd be so fucking proud to work at VV.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Man the lack of couch co-op is bumming me out !

Diablo 3's couch coop has nothing to do with how the game is. This would literally just be like multiplayer coop but local controller and then switch inventory depending on the player that enters it (and then some ui work). Even in diablo 3 you can still only look at 1 persons inventory etc at a time.
It has everything to do with it, D3 is designed around a fast paced arcadey experience with little downtime & management, the removal of attribute points/talent tree & charms (inventory management) & itemization being heavily downgraded to create a simple trifecta with green arrows telling you to just put them on without thinking or reading the items, along with sets being so overpowered you don't need to worry about stats on them.

You cannot play D2 like you can D3, it's not the same game design.

Oct 25, 2017
It has everything to do with it, D3 is designed around a fast paced arcadey experience with little downtime & management, the removal of attribute points/talent tree & charms (inventory management) & itemization being heavily downgraded to create a simple trifecta with green arrows telling you to just put them on without thinking or reading the items, along with sets being so overpowered you don't need to worry about stats on them.

You cannot play D2 like you can D3, it's not the same game design.
But that has nothing to do with couch co-op. That's how the game was when it launched and Like someone else mentioned, couch co-op wasn't even in the damn game till 3 years after that when it came to consoles. How on earth is it different from playing co-op online ? You have 1 inventory screen at the time. The only difference is the UI on screen when running around.

Diablo 3s design has nothing to do with couch co-op and everything to do with the game designers choosing to go in a certain direction that wasn't like the previous titles in the game. It launched without couch co-op so blaming the game design on dumbing it down for that reason is nonsense.

Divinity 2 has couch co-op. Is that also incredibly dumbed down ? No, because you don't have to dumb you game design down for it to work. You might have had a point if diablo 2 didn't have co-op at all, but it does ! It was built for it !

Last edited:

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
But that has nothing to do with couch co-op. That's how the game was when it launched and Like someone else mentioned, couch co-op wasn't even in the damn game till 3 years after that when it came to consoles. How on earth is it different from playing co-op online ? You have 1 inventory screen at the time. The only difference is the UI on screen when running around.

Diablo 3s design has nothing to do with couch co-op and everything to do with the game designers choosing to go in a certain direction that wasn't like the previous titles in the game. It launched without couch co-op so blaming the game design on dumbing it down for that reason is nonsense.

Divinity 2 has couch co-op. Is that also incredibly dumbed down ? No, because you don't have to design a game a certain way for it to work. You might have had a point if diablo 2 didn't have co-op at all, but it does ! It was built for it !
Exactly. Mechanically, the game is already a know quantity, it was deemed appropriate from a general UX standpoint for console versions, and co-op is already built in. So it all comes down to whether they think it's worth prioritizing compared to how hard it is to implement and how well it actually works.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
But that has nothing to do with couch co-op. Like someone else mentioned, couch co-op wasn't even in the damn game till 3 years later when it came to consoles. How on earth is it different from playing co-op online ? You have 1 inventory screen at the time. The only difference is the UI on screen when running around.
D3 was always designed for Consoles, just like Witcher 2 was, just because something is PC exclusive a year means nothing.
Anyway Blizzard would have added couch co-op in D2R if it worked, i bet they playtested it & realised quickly it doesn't.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Wow, this looks really, really good. Graphically, same dark style and same atmosphere and if it even has the same mechanics and functions of 2, it makes me think, with this being a thing. Why the fuck would I even want Diablo 4?????

That's kinda killing the new one for me. 😅

nin

Asked Politely
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Wow, this looks really, really good. Graphically, same dark style and same atmosphere and if it even has the same mechanics and functions of 2, it makes me think, with this being a thing. Why the fuck would I even want Diablo 4?????

i am on the same page. Add PoE 2 to that mix and it is not lookig good for D4 right now.

Oct 25, 2017
D3 was always designed for Consoles, just like Witcher 2 was, just because something is PC exclusive a year means nothing.
Anyway Blizzard would have added couch co-op in D2R if it worked, i bet they playtested it & realised quickly it doesn't.
3 years dude. Man I really want to see that pitch meeting. "we want to make this console game, but we won't make it for the consoles for another 3 years. Instead, we will pretend it's a pc game. Oh yes, It'll be great !" That's now how it works. The reason diablo 3 is what it is is because blizzard north was closed and they decided to do it in house with a completely different approach to the game design. It has nothing to do with the version that came out 3 years after launch
The controls are completely different on consoles than pc. Have you even played it ? If it was designed for couch co-op it would have had it on pc at launch. You don't design a super expensive multi year hundred developer game around a feature you might want to do for some port you might want to do years and years after you launch a game.

Also no they didn't find out it "didn't work" In the interview Vicarious vision literally said it was a matter of ui reworking and coding. It's money.
But as we started to get into it, the amount of code and UI we would have to touch to make that work felt like it was going to change a lot. And we were a little bit worried about the kinds of changes we would have to make to make that work seamlessly.
www.eurogamer.net

The big Diablo 2 Resurrected interview

Blizzard has finally announced Diablo 2 Resurrected, one of the worst-kept secrets in the video game industry. This rek…

SirSalabean

May 12, 2018
I feel like games like Diablo 2 hold up better in comparison to FPS or even games like mass effect. This will help it a lot

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
3 years dude. Man I really want to see that pitch meeting. "we want to make this console game, but we won't make it for the consoles for another 3 years. Instead, we will pretend it's a pc game. Oh yes, It'll be great !" That's now how it works. The reason diablo 3 is what it is is because blizzard north was closed and they decided to do it in house with a completely different approach to the game design. It has nothing to do with the version that came out 3 years after launch
The controls are completely different on consoles than pc. Have you even played it ?

Also no they didn't find out it "didn't work" In the interview Vicarious vision literally said it was a matter of ui reworking and coding. It's money.

www.eurogamer.net

The big Diablo 2 Resurrected interview

Blizzard has finally announced Diablo 2 Resurrected, one of the worst-kept secrets in the video game industry. This rek…
Blizzard started hiring people for D3 Consoles in 2011, a year from release, anyway probably not a good idea to turn this into "why D3 sucks" thread.
D2 won't have couch co-op & whatever reason VV/Blizzard means by " And we were a little bit worried about the kinds of changes we would have to make to make that work seamlessly" can be interpreted different ways.

Oct 26, 2017
The new graphics kinda throw me off with how smooth everything looks. For now I'm not going to hold my breath at this turning out well given Blizzard's recent track record with remasters.

Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard started hiring people for D3 Consoles in 2011, a year from release, anyway probably not a good idea to turn this into "why D3 sucks" thread.
D2 won't have couch co-op & whatever reason VV/Blizzard means by " And we were a little bit worried about the kinds of changes we would have to make to make that work seamlessly" can be interpreted different ways.
You don't redesign a whole game a "year out from release". Not without substantially delaying it. You can interpret everything just the way you want to.The only big gameplay change would be how far you can move from another player, so it's pretty obvious he is talking about it from a developer point of view in regards to how the various scripts impact each other. The very next sentence in the interview is about how exciting it is to do 8 player co-op.

I'll say it again. It looks great, but I play these games with my wife. Therefore I lost all interest when I read it had no couch co-op. Too bad. Hope they reconsider.

Exactly. Mechanically, the game is already a know quantity, it was deemed appropriate from a general UX standpoint for console versions, and co-op is already built in. So it all comes down to whether they think it's worth prioritizing compared to how hard it is to implement and how well it actually works.
Yep !

bloodyroarx

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
You don't redesign a whole game a "year out from release". Not without substantially delaying it. You can interpret everything just the way you want to. I've worked in games and the only big gameplay change would be how far you can move from another player, so it's pretty obvious he is talking about it from a developer point of view in regards to how the various scripts impact each other. The very next sentence in the interview is about how exciting it is to do 8 player co-op.

I'll say it again. It looks great, but I play these games with my wife. Therefore I lost all interest when I read it had no couch co-op. Too bad. Hope they reconsider.

I think considering they way they are designing it with the original game running underneath implementing same screen co op is functionally impossible. It seems that the game is running a game logic thread and two distinct visual threads (original and remaster) based on their commitment to the game still running at 25fps under the hood.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
You don't redesign a whole game a "year out from release". Not without substantially delaying it. You can interpret everything just the way you want to.The only big gameplay change would be how far you can move from another player, so it's pretty obvious he is talking about it from a developer point of view in regards to how the various scripts impact each other. The very next sentence in the interview is about how exciting it is to do 8 player co-op.

I wonder how much of an issue getting local coop in the game is because all the new work is built upon ancient code from the original game. Everything they've described doing doesn't seem like it required significantly altering the fundamental base of the original game. The interview claims that everything you can do in the original game also works exactly the same in the new game. Getting 2 players working using the same client and game instance seems like it's way outside the scope of how they built the remaster and would itself be it's own huge project.

Oct 25, 2017
I think considering they way they are designing it with the original game running underneath implementing same screen co op is functionally impossible. It seems that the game is running a game logic thread and two distinct visual threads (original and remaster) based on their commitment to the game still running at 25fps under the hood.
I can see why they might have decided it's more trouble than it's worth but I still think they could do it.

One way to do it would be to run it like a multiplayer match where, when the secondary player "logs in" the game starts running their game as a secondary client (without the screen). Lock the view and limit movement so you have to remain within the same screen (some camera work invovled here) and rework the UI and run the inventory management for all players on the host client. It's definitely work but I think they could do it. Obviously it's also simplified here, and the big issue is whether or not their movement would feel laggy but that depends a lot of the implementation I think. If you send the movement information directly to the other client without going to a online server, and you have a high tick rate than it should be ok.

They are already reworking controls for the consoles I assume, so it's not like they aren't touching the code at all.

I wonder how much of an issue getting local coop in the game is because all the new work is built upon ancient code from the original game. Everything they've described doing doesn't seem like it required significantly altering the fundamental base of the original game. The interview claims that everything you can do in the original game also works exactly the same in the new game. Getting 2 players working using the same client and game instance seems like it's way outside the scope of how they built the remaster and would itself be it's own huge project.
You're right. It's more involved than the other code changes they seem to be doing but I still think it could be done without reworking the whole codebase.

Last edited:

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
They haven't released more gameplay footage?

Man I would pay a lot of money to be able to play this right now...are you hearing me Kotick? A LOT OF MONEY!

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018

Did you watch the Rogue trailer? After the new graphic sheen wears off, D2 will just be endless Baal runs like it is now. I guess not everyone has played D2 for thousands of hours but they aren't changing anything besides graphics and adding shared stash, not enough to keep me going for another thousand hours. D4 looks much better in the animation department and it's a whole new open world Diablo, not an old game with better graphics. Many of us want the next chapter in the series. D4 will do more than fine. Another 40 mil copies sold.

This is like people not looking forward to Elden Ring because of the Demon's Souls remaster. I was done with that remaster after one playthrough because it was more of the same...

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I am ecstatic about this remaster, I already pre-ordered it, but I am even more excited for a brand new Diablo.

Last edited:

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
You're right. It's more involved than the other code changes they seem to be doing but I still think it could be done without reworking the whole codebase.

I think you might be underselling the difficulty of working with 20+ year old code without the original software engineers. Everything about what they've talked about screams that they did not want to have to make fundamental changes to the original code base. In my mind from what they've discussed this seems like a really ambitious mod to the original game.

Last edited:

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
You are looking at building the feature from scratch on 20+ year code that couldn't be reasonably maintained. Any modern new feature aint happening.

Oct 25, 2017
I think you might be underselling the difficulty of working with 20+ year old code without the original software engineers. Everything about what they've talked about screams that they did not want to have to make fundamental changes to the original code base. In my mind from what they've discussed this seems like a really ambitious mod to the original game.
I don't mean to undersell it, I just don't think it's insurmountable. But of course a lot depends on how easy the code is to work with.

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
It looks exactly like how i remember what diablo 2 looked like when it was originally released.

Adan0s

Oct 27, 2017
no couch co-op and no crossplay makes this a hard choice for me. I love D2, but I want to play this with my partner on the couch and my friends who are on a different console. :(

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That kind of deep technical hurdle makes a lot more sense than surface gameplay concerns.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
It looks so fucking good. If the OST is as good as it was in the original this is gonna be game of the year for me.
it's the same soundtrack, just remastered.

Damn I wish D1 got this treatment as well, it feels like the forgotten game of the franchise.
If this does well....maybe there's a chance? It certainly deserves it. D1 is so good. I would love some quality of life improvements like being able to hold down the left mouse button to keep attacking.
In the stream, the dude referred to both D1 and D2 implicitly which made it sting so hard that this is "only" D2, despite knowing from the leak it was only gonna be D2. Diablo 1 is still the unrivaled pinnacle of this series for me because I don't care about online and all that jazz. Diablo 1 was Dark Souls before Dark Souls. You go down into this rotten cathedral and descend into literal hell and you break like a twig and you only have what you pick up and stuff breaks on you and you can't see where the enemy that kills you a second later will came from. All wrapped in that incredible soundscape with those ominous tomes you find narrated with great VO. The D1 Anniversary Event in D3 was so disappointing because it nailed none of this. Nobody ever nailed it like this again. Diablo 2 went big and killed a lot of that vibe in that move. It's amazing in its own right, just like you can make arguments for D3 with its pure action chaos multiplayer fun loop.

Blizzard and Vicarious Visions: Do the same for Diablo 1 next, please.

Is this better than 3? I only played 3.
It obviously depends on personal preference but a selected panel of scientists have confirmed: Diablo 2 is leaps and bounds better and the reason people hate Diablo 3 so regularly is because Diablo 2 is an untouchable all-time great landmark game.

Oct 27, 2017

ara

Oct 26, 2017
youtu.be

Diablo 2: Resurrected Official Gameplay B-Roll (No Commentary)

Diablo 2: Resurrected official footage in HD without commentary. Diablo II: Resurrected#Diablo2Resurrected #Diablo2Remaster #Diablo2Remake #Diablo2 #Diablo2H...

NGL, this doesn't look very appealing to me. Just kinda.. Slow and clunky. The main reason why I enjoyed D3 so much was the speed and fluidity of it - didn't even care that the character progression side of it was fairly boring since it was just so much fun to play.

But D2 is a classic that so many love so I'll still have to give it a try for myself.