• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
The story/lore is actually good in this game right?

I thought Diablo III was pretty fun (though there was something about the gameplay that I didn't love), but the writing was beyond bad lol. Sucks because after the first act I skipped most non-story NPC dialogue and didn't care for the lore.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

I thought Diablo III was pretty fun (though there was something about the gameplay that I didn't love), but the writing was beyond bad lol. Sucks because after the first act I skipped most non-story NPC dialogue and didn't care for the lore.

It's not amazing but its good enough and the atmosphere really makes everything shine

Actually compared to diablo 3 yeah its amazing

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
I actually want Diablo II, I tried playing Diablo III with my roommates but we didn't stick with the game, would I like Diablo II more?

If you like action RPGs I would say yes. The thing that's fun about Diablo II is that you have a real sense of progression with your character. You earn stat and skill points that allow you to spec in unique ways. The skill tree also let's you power up the skills you like the most. There are stakes in the game. Going through an area is scary. Death lurks around every corner. Health and mana management also adds to the fun of the game. You need to make sure you are prepared before wandering into the darkness. The loot is also really great because it allows you to customize your character's build in really fun ways. The loot makes you feel powerful, but it can also affect your skills or other aspects of your character. It really feels like your character is yours.

Diablo 3 in comparison, while fun, is a mindless game. Enemies drop health, so all of the tension is gone because you know you can heal up as long as you can kill enemies. All you have to do is spam your attacks to kill enemies and get more health. In my opinion this is really bad design. Also, I hated the skill tree in Diablo 3. You can't really power up any specific skill. You can change the modifiers but it never felt like a good progression overall. Unlocking new skills and new variations was fun, but once you have everything, you can't power any of it up. Like the hydra skill? Too bad, you can't put more points into it. I also found the loot to be terrible. I'm sure it differs in advanced play, but for me, the only two stats that mattered were health and damage. Nothing I picked up mattered. I looked at two numbers, damage and health. It all just felt the same. I also though it was a poor design decision that your weapon damage added to your spell damage. It just makes no sense. Why is a sword making my spells stronger? I liked Diablo 3, but it's nowhere near as good as D2.

In summary, Diablo 2 is a tactical action RPG. Diablo 3 is an action game.

Someone in this thread said that D4 has a 6 spell limit on pc....tell me this isn't true?!

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Hn8jIbk.jpg

RDQtMpJ.jpg

9c0.jpg

these images are fucking tight.

The winged helm looks amazing

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I love D3, never played D2 so I'm all in. Switch version for sure, maybe PS5.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018

The story and atmosphere is pretty good honestly. The cutscenes are also really great for their time especially then Baal one.

Hecht

Pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
WTS Chance Guards, 4,000SOJs

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Diablo 2 might have my favorite sound design (including music obviously) of any game. Pretty much every single monster yell, item drop sound, weapon swing etc immediately triggers a reaction in my brain.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

To be honest, I dont really remember the lore side of Diablo 2, just the dark depressing atmosphere. Diablo 3 made me want to puke with the generic nerd bait lore shoved in your face bullshit.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
If you like action RPGs I would say yes. The thing that's fun about Diablo II is that you have a real sense of progression with your character. You earn stat and skill points that allow you to spec in unique ways. The skill tree also let's you power up the skills you like the most. There are stakes in the game. Going through an area is scary. Death lurks around every corner. Health and mana management also adds to the fun of the game. You need to make sure you are prepared before wandering into the darkness. The loot is also really great because it allows you to customize your character's build in really fun ways. The loot makes you feel powerful, but it can also affect your skills or other aspects of your character. It really feels like your character is yours.

Diablo 3 in comparison, while fun, is a mindless game. Enemies drop health, so all of the tension is gone because you know you can heal up as long as you can kill enemies. All you have to do is spam your attacks to kill enemies and get more health. In my opinion this is really bad design. Also, I hated the skill tree in Diablo 3. You can't really power up any specific skill. You can change the modifiers but it never felt like a good progression overall. Unlocking new skills and new variations was fun, but once you have everything, you can't power any of it up. Like the hydra skill? Too bad, you can't put more points into it. I also found the loot to be terrible. I'm sure it differs in advanced play, but for me, the only two stats that mattered were health and damage. Nothing I picked up mattered. I looked at two numbers, damage and health. It all just felt the same. I also though it was a poor design decision that your weapon damage added to your spell damage. It just makes no sense. Why is a sword making my spells stronger? I liked Diablo 3, but it's nowhere near as good as D2.

In summary, Diablo 2 is a tactical action RPG. Diablo 3 is an action game.

Someone in this thread said that D4 has a 6 spell limit on pc....tell me this isn't true?!

Yeah, I've been looking at videos and D2 looks really good, I do love action RPG's and this reminds me of that Xbox Dungeons and Dragons game which I loved, and to a weird extent Runescape which I also love.

Everything I read has confirmed to me that this will be a day 1 game, even the art style of D2 is better than D3, I didn't like the WoW looking art style of D3 at all.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
This is looking really good from what's been shown. 🤞 it plays well.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
how salty are new players going to get when they first meet rakanishu

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I've been looking at videos and D2 looks really good, I do love action RPG's and this reminds me of that Xbox Dungeons and Dragons game which I loved, and to a weird extent Runescape which I also love.

Everything I read has confirmed to me that this will be a day 1 game, even the art style of D2 is better than D3, I didn't like the WoW looking art style of D3 at all.

You are in for such a treat. I wish I could experience the game for the first time again.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Diablo 2 might have my favorite sound design (including music obviously) of any game. Pretty much every single monster yell, item drop sound, weapon swing etc immediately triggers a reaction in my brain.

One of the things in regards to sound design is the Imp demons, screaming Bishibosh and Rakanishu, later on I'd find out those were basically Super Unique variants of the Imp and Imp Shaman.

Bishibosh in particular could be nasty because He can revive Imp Shamans, which in turn could revive the Imp Demons. On higher difficulties with a large pack you could potentially end up with endlessly reviving Imp Shamans and be totally overwhelmed.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Loved D2, loved D3, will love playing this again. Sorry everyone that I don't have to hate on one of them to like the other.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017

It has a dark atmosphere and it says a lot of lore at you, but one thing I really love compared to Diablo 3 is that it continues the whole RPG thing of your character just being like... some random adventurer who heard about danger or adventure or loot in the area and showed up. There's no demons endlessly taunting you through hell holograms about how getting their ass kicked for the tenth time was all part of their plan, or Blizzard cutscenes about corrupted betrayals leading to treacherous corruption, or lore about how you're the special chosen one return of an ancient race of superhumans or anything.

You just need to follow this guy who is the Warrior from Diablo 1 who's failed to contain Diablo within him, and there's this really dark and moody frame story between acts told by the hapless companion he picked up along the way.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017

I attribute that to the slower pace of D2 (at least during its initial release). When the gameplay is slower compared to D3 or PoE, you start to appreciate the environment and sound more. It becomes more immersive in that sense.

plau

Oct 30, 2017
Is it really a faithful remake if your best strategy isn't to follow bot runs and scavenge their scraps?

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
Also one big thing in diablo 2 for me was how open the progression was in each level. You could pretty much most quest in the order you wanted and when you wanted. I hate duriel lol most of the fight is me running around in circle lmao

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
I attribute that to the slower pace of D2 (at least during its initial release). When the gameplay is slower compared to D3 or PoE, you start to appreciate the environment and sound more. It becomes more immersive in that sense.

Yes absolutely. I wish D4 was slower. There's no reason for the game to move that fast. You lose the appreciation of the setting and your actions in it when everything is moving at 200mph.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
What would you guys were the most annoying status effect? For me it was frozen and cursed. Barely can move and every attack miss its super annoying lol

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
the problem with duriel is the freezing
thawing potions are useless in the game before it and basically after it, its only niche is that one fight (regarding the main campaign on the first difficulty of course)

but you have so many tombs to go through before fighting it, i was never underleveled for the fight

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
Level wise you really just need to explore everything and you should be fine for most fight. I would always go to every game and kill every monster on the map before I kept going.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I remember if you're underleved and/or not geared up properly, you promptly die upon loading into the Duriel fight.

Or if your internet connection isn't terribly fast.

I'll never forget that! I joined a battle.net game in early D2 days, 7 people were trying to kill Duriel, I went through the TP to the lair underleveled and my computer chugged and I IMMEDIATELY died. It was a learning lesson but everyone was laughing and enjoying themselves - eventually we did beat it (TP abuse) and it was so much fun.

I absolutely cannot wait for this game. The B-Roll footage I just watched on YouTube is incredible!

Nov 8, 2017
Looks great, can't wait. They have really got a solid philosophy behind it and are doing amazing looking work. D2 is a special game for me, so really hyped about this. I wonder about Switch performance, so will prolly go PS4 or 5 if I get one.

Why does this look so much better than Diablo IV? Are the backgrounds pre-rendered?

It's all 3D with a physically based renderer underneath, according to the videos.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't think I could possibly be interesting in playing Diablo 2 again but that looked great.