• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
What are you talking about. Vicarious Visions has been owned by Activision forever. They are funded by Activision Blizzard and have been for decades. They brought them in house to work on this. Activision Blizzard controls the purse strings. There is nothing that is different in that Blizzard can still sabotage things if they wanted to.
I misspoke about that but have they ever done this to another VV project? just because it happened once doesn't make it a recurring thing. And im not that pessimistic to believe it's going to happen to every remaster when all the other activison/blizzard remasters were fantastic. I'm not going to distrust another company for putting out 1 bad game. History is in favor of a good remaster over a bad one.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Never played Diablo, still worth getting the OG version? I don't like Bnet's online-only DRM.

Edit: And why the fuck can't we get remasters of PS1 JRPGs that look like this?

Diablo II doesn't have online-only DRM. If can totally be played offline via single player. The only exception is when you playing via the Battle.net servers via multiplayer.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
I misspoke about that but have they ever done this to another VV project? just because it happened once doesn't make it a recurring thing. And im not that pessimistic to believe it's going to happen to every remaster when all the other activison/blizzard remasters were fantastic. I'm not going to distrust another company for putting out 1 bad game. History is in favor of a good remaster over a bad one.
Your only as good as your last game and the last game Blizzard sent out was shockingly bad. I don't think it will end up being a Warcraft 3 scenario but I am not going to buy into anything Blizzard says until the game is at retail and people are playing it.

Neuroxia

Mar 31, 2019
I'm fine with playing the original in 800x600 on my Pentium 3, but this is really nice for people that never got to experience it back in the day.

Hopefully they will treat it better than Warcraft III: Reforged.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
What are you talking about. Vicarious Visions has been owned by Activision forever. They are funded by Activision Blizzard and have been for decades. They brought them in house to work on this. Activision Blizzard controls the purse strings. There is nothing that is different in that Blizzard can still sabotage things if they wanted to.

I don't think "Blizzard" are the ones sabotaging anything. I am fairly certain that would be Activision.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Diablo 3 runs fine on the Switch, I don't see why Diablo 2 wouldn't.

Remaster or not, keep in mind Diablo II: LOD is a game from 2001. Even with engine updates, it's system requirements shouldn't be any more demanding than something like Torchlight II, Victor Vran, or even Titan Quest, which all three of these are also on the Switch, and run very well mind you.

Oh I know D3 runs well on the Switch, hell I bought it because I love the gameplay loop. If it is the same team who ported D3 to the Switch then that is great.
I am excited for D2 on the go though. Never in my wildest gaming dreams did I think this would happen.

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
Diablo 3 runs fine on the Switch, I don't see why Diablo 2 wouldn't.

Remaster or not, keep in mind Diablo II: LOD is a game from 2001. Even with engine updates, it's system requirements shouldn't be any more demanding than something like Torchlight II, Victor Vran, or even Titan Quest, which all three of these are also on the Switch, and run very well mind you.
Even then, the original game is still under all the new graphics and everything shiny so I think nearly any laptop or system can run it just fine

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Listening to the devs right now, the original game is actually running full time under the hood, and its overlayed with their new graphics engine. Really interesting.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Blizzard got a nice taste of how rabid the diablo fanbase can be in that infamous blizzcon. They need to be pretty confident to risk doing a reforged again, there are people crazy enough in the diablo fanbase to go around burning koticks mansions if they do

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Blizzard got a nice taste of how rabid the diablo fanbase can be in that infamous blizzcon. They need to be pretty confident to risk doing a reforged again, there are people crazy enough in the diablo fanbase to go around burning koticks mansions if they do

I think Warcraft III: Reforged was a wake up call. There's no way Activision was going to take all that heat again.

The quality and care going into D2R is what should have gone into the Warcraft III remake.

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
As someone who's not familiar with Diablo 2 and can't wait to play this remaster, what's the whole 25FPS they were talking about for the game

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Edit: Actually, it's VV. So maybe this will be an improvement over the piece of shit that was WC Reforged

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
I'd hate to work on remaster people complain if they change too much, complain when it's too little. Fuck clicking on gold but i'd be shocked if there wasn't some people that would yell it removes the weight form playing the game having to mindlessly click 50 pile of gold.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Will we be able to use a controller on PC as well? Felt like I didn't get a straightforward answer from this stream.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
The amount of people that have never played Diablo 2 astounds me.

You guys are in for a treat.
Haha. Yeah I never played it until a month or so before Diablo 3 released. I only ever finished normal. My hand hurt so much just from playing those few hours in normal. I'm looking forward to playing with a controller. I think it will be easier for me.

Darkader

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
I just couldn't be happier with what I've seen. So guys I need some Werebear and Whirlwind Barb builds... lool I'm sooooo in