• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
New news new thread
www.gog.com

Diablo + Hellfire

Now with Hellfire! Originally developed by Synergistic Software and released in 1997, Hel

Great to see gog managed to get it included with the game.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Okay NOW Diablo 1 on GOG is finally worth buying and playing. Without Hellfire the game is simply not worth touching.

edit: lol they don't even mention the absolutely best feature about Hellfire on the store page: IT COMES WITH THE FAST WALK!

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, given the licensing complexity I'd mentally put this in the "never going to happen" bracket.

Shadout

Oct 27, 2017
Really awesome.
Both that Hellfire is now included, but also that Blizzard listened. Good Old Blizzard?

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
I never got to play Hellfire. I heard it was kinda bad though? But I guess for 8.99 it's worth checking out.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Never had a chance to play this as I only got into Diablo 1 after Diablo 2 came out (it came in the pre-Lord of Destruction Battlechest). I bought D1 when it came out on GOG and thought it was unplayable- but I will give it another go to try Hellfire.
I'm pretty sure there was only 1 new class in the Hellfire expansion with 2 more you could unlock by hacking the game (they were never implamented or something). Can you do that with this version?

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
Are there easy and known way to play in multiplayer online? I read some were able to use yamachi ages ago, but I wish there was something simple.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Okay NOW Diablo 1 on GOG is finally worth buying and playing. Without Hellfire the game is simply not worth touching.

edit: lol they don't even mention the absolutely best feature about Hellfire on the store page: IT COMES WITH THE FAST WALK!

I played it at launch and was wondering why the fuck it felt so slow. Thought my memory was busted.

Oct 25, 2017
Are there easy and known way to play in multiplayer online? I read some were able to use yamachi ages ago, but I wish there was something simple.
Travelers looking for the authentic Diablo experience can play the game as it was in 1996, with period-appropriate 20 FPS SVGA graphics, and the ability to matchmake through the classic version of Blizzard's Battle.net® online-gaming service.
Also:

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't Hellfire come with a run function or am I mistaken? I haven't played it, but I think I remember seeing that somewhere. If that's the case, then that alone makes me excited for the expansion.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hellfire is an unofficial expansion right?

Also this introduced running which ended up being a thing in D2?

John198X

Nov 9, 2018
Hellfire is so weird and "off-model," but I'd totally check it out again. I remember in the original release, you could also access two unfinished character classes and a couple more quests by editing a text file in the install directory. To anyone who plays this, try to check out that stuff too!

edit: made by the Sierra division Synergistic Software, the developers of Homey D. Clown for DOS! :p

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I recall this game is famously hated by the original development team.

You are correct.

During the Q&A session, Brevik admitted that Battle.net originally ran on a single PC: "We weren't handling bandwidth; we just handled connections." He also minced no words criticizing Blizzard's decision to kill a major character in Diablo III: "I think it sucks. I love that character, too... but they're gonna do what they're gonna do." He was even harsher in "disavowing" Diablo's Hellfire expansion pack, developed by one of Sierra's in-house studios: "They made a teddy-bear quest."

Src: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016...-man-diablo-dissected-by-their-original-devs/

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I saw this...I'm curious about jumping in. I played Diablo II back in the day, but not the first. I'm also just not into what Diablo III is, but playing the old games again seems interesting to me. Curious about Hellfire too.

Diablo II would be great, hope they bring that to GoG.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Well, just bought. Will be fun just to play around with it for a few hours, for that price.

gschmidl

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
I remember when Sierra's uninstaller for Hellfire would accidentally delete the parent directory (C:\SIERRA) instead of just Hellfire. "Good" times.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
I remember when Sierra's uninstaller for Hellfire would accidentally delete the parent directory (C:\SIERRA) instead of just Hellfire. "Good" times.

Well it could be worse - like in the case of Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor uninstall bug that took out your Windows partition along with the game...
Or Myth II installer bug

The original version of the Myth II: Soulblighter contained a serious bug. The bug was that the CD contained an uninstaller which would remove Myth from a computer by deleting the directory in which it had been installed. If the user had overridden the default and installed Myth to the root level of his hard drive, the uninstaller would delete the entire contents of the user's hard drive. This bug was caught after Myth II CDs had been sent out and also duplicated and boxed to ship to stores. Bungie employees went to the factory, tore open the boxes, and replaced the faulty CDs with new CDs on which the uninstaller bug had been fixed. Luckily, only the marketing person who discovered the bug had his hard drive wiped. Martin O' Donnell confirmed all this data in an episode of the Bungie Podcast.

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
Well it could be worse - like in the case of Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor uninstall bug that took out your Windows partition along with the game...
Or Myth II installer bug

The original version of the Myth II: Soulblighter contained a serious bug. The bug was that the CD contained an uninstaller which would remove Myth from a computer by deleting the directory in which it had been installed. If the user had overridden the default and installed Myth to the root level of his hard drive, the uninstaller would delete the entire contents of the user's hard drive. This bug was caught after Myth II CDs had been sent out and also duplicated and boxed to ship to stores. Bungie employees went to the factory, tore open the boxes, and replaced the faulty CDs with new CDs on which the uninstaller bug had been fixed. Luckily, only the marketing person who discovered the bug had his hard drive wiped. Martin O' Donnell confirmed all this data in an episode of the Bungie Podcast.
That sounds like the exact same mistake but worse (since it affects you even if you leave it in the default location). Are you sure the Hellfire uninstaller wouldn't delete the hard drive if you changed the install location to 'C:\Hellfire'?

Last edited:

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
That sounds like the exact same mistake but worse (since it affects you even if you leave it in the default location). Are you sure the Hellfire installer wouldn't delete the hard drive if you changed the install location to 'C:\Hellfire'?

Hmmmm.. I can't find anything about the Hellfire uninstall bug on the web..

Stalwart

Banned
Feb 4, 2018
I don't think they will ever have D2 on gog because you can download them on battle.net with a cdkey
I think they can, I remember in a faq blizzard release that said they have no additional announcements at this time. That leaves hope, they said in that same faq that they have no plans to bring Diablo: Hellfire to GOG.COM at this time.