• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Link.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has suspended New Yorkers from its Trusted Traveler programs.

The programs, like Global Entry, are meant to help travelers move through customs lines faster. But New Yorkers are no longer allowed to sign up or renew their memberships.

Federal officials say the suspension comes in response to a new state law that recently took effect.

Wolf referred to New York State's sanctuary "Green Light law," which allows undocumented immigrants to apply for drivers' licenses without providing a social security number – instead, using passports and IDs from other countries.

Wolf called the law disappointing, saying it's a major security threat because it prohibits access to DMV data that's needed by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) as the agency builds cases and investigates criminal networks. He added that data is also used for trade and travel, necessary for background checks when someone applies for a Trusted Traveler program.

"We no longer have access to make sure that they meet those program requirements," he said.

All Global Entry applicants undergo rigorous background checks and in-person interviews before approval.

The program, and several similar ones, allow expedited clearance for pre-approved, so-called low risk, travelers. Meaning, faster security and customs lines for members.

The DHS order was announced just one day after President Donald Trump condemned sanctuary cities, like New York, in his State of the Union address.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who's surprised?

Trump hates NY, prosecutors are making life hard for him and it's a refugee state on top of it. DHS being Trump lackeys, do the math.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
I don't buy their argument about access to DMV data. If the immigrants couldn't apply, the state (and ICE) wouldn't have access to that information. If ICE had access, no one would want to apply. It's just a post hoc rationalization for a punitive policy against NY.

CrazyIvan1978

Oct 27, 2017
Wisconsin
And nothing of value was lost, why'd anyone use the trusted traveler program?
Edit: nothing of value was lost to me, IN MY OPINION. And my question has been answered.

Last edited:

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's a nice state you got there. It'd be a shame if anything happened to it.

SOBOSLDR

Nov 27, 2017
Wait u can get a drivers license without any form of US id? Honestly that sounds stupid.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
While everyone's going nuts about who gets the Dem nod, it's going to take GENERATIONS to undo all this shit no matter who gets in. Less about actual legislature since there's so little of it on his end (thankfully) but how partisanship has seeped through all these federal divisions and that using them as a political baseball bat is part of our political way of life.

I look at Chris Christie, another trump sycophant who shut down a bridge when he was the NJ governor to punish a local Dem mayor in 2013 during labor day. It was a huge scandal that played a big part in his political downfall (including jailtime for some of those involved).

2020? Wouldn't even get a shrug

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Amazingly TSA Precheck still works, so somehow they have that data but not literally ICE/DHS. Okay.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
How is that New York law compatible with the REAL ID requirements?

Edit: oh, there are non-REAL ID versions of the drivers license.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
And nothing of value was lost, why'd anyone use the trusted traveler program?

Excuse me? This sucks. Global entry, tsa pre check, and nexus are the best.

All Global Entry applicants undergo rigorous background checks and in-person interviews before approval.

Lol, the interview is a joke. "Is this your name" is basically all it is.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Always funny these racist think an immigrant who is currently working their asses off to survive outside the system would risk everything they've done here for x amount of years to commit some shady shit with their newly acquired license.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
There are places in Upstate NY that have more confederates and racists than places in the South. It's a fucking trash hole.
I live in Houston, TX. Typical conservative coworker of mine gives me grief whenever I go up there.

I tell him the people there....ain't that different from rural TX.

Hell being from Htown I never go to rural TX really.
I truly am WTf when I go up north.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I live in Houston, TX. Typical conservative coworker of mine gives me grief whenever I go up there.

I tell him the people there....ain't that different from rural TX.

Hell being from Htown I never go to rural TX really.
I truly am WTf when I go up north.
It blows my mind we have so many confederate sympathizers and good ol boys here. A lot of "cantry girls lookin for caaaantry boys" shit too lmao.

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I meant to enroll this year and I live in NY, RIP me.

these people are a buncha turds

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Five billionaires denied fast track exit at JFK or even charter flights and this gets undone real quick.

duxstar

Oct 26, 2017
Can confirm living in upstate NY it's full of racist shithead's, lots of NRA support your right to bear arms shot on the lawn , and MAGA stickers

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I've never even been on a train before so I don't care. In 1-4 years it'll be all over so w.e

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Excuse me? This sucks. Global entry, tsa pre check, and nexus are the best.

Lol, the interview is a joke. "Is this your name" is basically all it is.

Yea, the most difficult part of the interview was driving down to the Mexico border from LA to get my Global Entry in-person done, as I wanted it fast tracked ahead of a planned trip a month out. Had I waited for it to be done locally(LA), I was looking at ~4mo for next availability.

But despite a few hours in the car to and fro, the interview was like 7 minutes. WELL worth avoiding the hassle through customs and security. Like holy shit.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Yeah there is no basis for this other than being petty. Especially if undocumented immigrants get a different type of ID. When you apply to these programs, it's a completely separate application and verification process. They do not need access to the state DMV database. It's also more BS because TSA PreCheck isn't affected - and that has virtually the same verification process as the other programs like Global Entry and NEXUS.

Speaking of NEXUS, weird how the Canadians can verify information without access to state DMV records.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is huge news for NY residents who travel a lot. When I was in NY, I applied for Global Entry and it's since saved me a TON of time waiting in security lines.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
This is going to extend to NJ (and like 13-14 other states) next and I'm fucked because I'm renewing next year... fucking great.

Utter trash that the administration would retaliate in this way.

RockTiddies

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I FUCKING love global entry.

It took a long time to get, but it paid for itself 10 times over on a single flight.

I only fly 1 or 2 times a year at most, but I cannot see myself not having this option. I would have missed 3 flights had I not been able to skip the long ass lines at security checks in and out.

The side eye from the dude stuck behind 50 people waiting in line is also a constant experience.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't seem that crazy to me. It's an expedited customs line and the reason they're able to expedite it is that the ID you provided is assumed to have already been properly vetted. If NY is weakening the proof of identity required to get a driver's license then I can see why those IDs would no longer meet the scrutiny required to just assume someone should be able to skate through customs.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't seem that crazy to me. It's an expedited customs line and the reason they're able to expedite it is that the ID you provided is assumed to have already been properly vetted. If NY is weakening the proof of identity required to get a driver's license then I can see why those IDs would no longer meet the scrutiny required to just assume someone should be able to skate through customs.

You go through a background check to get pre check or global entry. You don't just get it for having a license.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017

This is absurd. Undocumented migrants can't qualify for any of those federal programs anyway, and that is covered by a background check. Also, this is especially petty since their IDs can't be REAL IDs in the first place. They would never be allowed to qualify to have GLOBAL ENTRY and Trump knows this.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Wait this is for "global travel" as in outside the US? Who in their mind who is undocumented would be like "cool got my NY license. Gonna take a sweet ass trip back home. I'll be back in a week y'all!"

Like that's not how it works. Unless I got this totally wrong.