• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
About 90 additional foreign students at a fake university in metro Detroit created by the Department of Homeland Security have been arrested in recent months.

A total of about 250 students have now been arrested since January on immigration violations by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement as part of a sting operation by federal agents who enticed foreign-born students, mostly from India, to attend the school that marketed itself as offering graduate programs in technology and computer studies, according to ICE officials.
Many of those arrested have been deported, while others are contesting their removals. One has been allowed to stay after being granted lawful permanent resident status by an immigration judge.

The students had arrived legally in the U.S. on student visas, but since the University of Farmington was later revealed to be a creation of federal agents, they lost their immigration status after it was shut down in January. The school was staffed with undercover agents posing as university officials.
Yet again, the cruelty is the point.

Last edited:

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
"Hey students that came to the US legally with valid student visas, SIKE!"

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
"hey, we know you're here legally, but we REALLY fucking hate brown people so we're gonna frame you and deport you"

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That was my thought. You get smart, educated young people to apply for a student visa, move here to attend graduate school, then "Whoops, we tricked you! Out you go."
America are pirates now.
The fake university is believed to have collected millions of dollars from the unsuspecting students. An email from the university's president, Ali Milani, told students that graduate programs' tuition is $2,500 per quarter and that the average cost is $1,000 per month.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
so what they created a fake university offering student visas....just to deport people who came on said visas? that's both cruel and an idiotic use of resources fuck the ICE and the DHS

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
" The students had arrived legally in the U.S. on student visas, but since the University of Farmington was later revealed to be a creation of federal agents, they lost their immigration status after it was shut down in January. The school was staffed with undercover agents posing as university officials. "

HOLD UP, WTF IS THIS TRASH!!!@#!@!

Every single one of the people that did this to these people can burn in hell.

They literally came here legally, tried to go to school legally, and then the Feds shut the fake school down, and arrest/deport them. That's literal EVIL.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I remember this happening... last year or two years ago was it? Just abysmal.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just don't understand the logic of bringing them here legally and then deporting them.

My hometown is as evil as ever.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it. They first bring people to the country to join their university, and then go 'haha, fake uni! We deport you!'

Why invite them then in the first place, or am I missing something?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I mean even if you weren't a racist shit bag, and you were on fiscal responsibility you realize this was a huge waste of resources

turtle553

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this happened a while ago and the students knew it was a fake university just made to get visas without knowing DHS was in charge. Or was that a different one?

Edit: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/31/us/farmington-university-arrests-ice.html
In what the authorities called a "pay to stay" scheme, foreign students knowingly enrolled in the fake school to falsely maintain their student visa status and remain in the United States, according to prosecutors.

Oct 27, 2017
That seems like entrapment.

Like you trick them into coming legally to the country, filling out all the right paperwork, then the school magically doesn't actually exist, and now you have desperate foreign students trying to make their way after spending several months and thousands of dollars in travel/living expenses to not make their trip to America a waste.

Under what president did this program start and how long did it go on for?

Jul 19, 2018
If it wasn't so damaging to those affected this would just be laughable. It's so fucking idiotic, how could anyone think this was a good idea?

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
"Attorneys for ICE and the Department of Justice maintain that the students should have known it was not a legitimate university because it did not have classes in a physical location."

confusednickyoung.jpg

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so you make a fake university, bring in people from other countries on student visas that aren't valid because your university is fake but they don't know that, then arrest them and send them back?

Is that what I'm reading or am I nuts? This some Emperor's New Groove "And then I'll mail that box to myself" shit.

Blatant cartoon evil aside this is an insane waste of time and money

This is straight-up cartoon villainy.

Mar 3, 2019

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I just don't understand the logic of bringing them here legally and then deporting them.

My hometown is as evil as ever.

They also accepted tuition.

It was, literally, a money laundering scam.

Even setting aside the clear racism and bigotry happening here, it's a grift, nothing more.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The report said some come from poor farming backgrounds and had to take out loans to support their studies in the U.S.The university charged $11,000 a year for graduate students.

Many of the students who were enrolled at the University of Farmington had previously received masters degrees from a different university, like the student that Milani had written to. The name of the student in the email is not being identified at the request of an attorney.

They were generally admitted to the U.S. on non-immigrant F-1 student visas and were allowed to work while enrolled at a university on programs known as OPT (Optional Practical Training) or CPT (Curricular Practical Training), said attorneys in contact with the students.

what the fuck man. what is the point of this? is the substance of this jux just to scam poor Indian academics for ten grand? that's seriously the point here?

Oct 27, 2017
I thought this happened a while ago and the students knew it was a fake university just made to get visas without knowing DHS was in charge. Or was that a different one?

Edit: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/31/us/farmington-university-arrests-ice.html

I believe this is the one. The story here isn't what the OP claims. The students knew it was a diploma-mill university (fake), they just didn't know it was run by authorities. DHS are the good guys in this story.

Oct 25, 2017
Why would they even do tha...
The fake university is believed to have collected millions of dollars from the unsuspecting students. An email from the university's president, Ali Milani, told students that graduate programs' tuition is $2,500 per quarter and that the average cost is $1,000 per month.

"They made a lot of money," Reddy said of the U.S. government.
Oh

I believe this is the one. The story here isn't what the OP claims. The students knew it was a diploma-mill university (fake), they just didn't know it was run by authorities. DHS are the good guys in this story.
lmao
Oh yeah totally. They deserve medals

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it. They first bring people to the country to join their university, and then go 'haha, fake uni! We deport you!'

Why invite them then in the first place, or am I missing something?

there has been issues with fake universities popping up solely for getting foreign nationals into the country on basically fraudulent student visas which I have to imagine this is related to

but like this doesn't address this at all and only seems to serve to make more work for them to justify their existence.