• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Sure it makes it more accessible to people, but this isn't what this thread is about, it's about developer pains with the machine. Let's not switch subjects.

People can still play the games, but obviously with less features than the more powerful version, that's expected. Since MS didn't provide tools to properly scale everything in their SDK, then why should developers spend any extra time on it?

Even if the pain is real they aren't really going about it in productive ways.

There are tons of reasons why they could be having the pains as in the tools they use , a bloaty OS bad at memory and their own engine.

Yet I'm not gonna rag on architecture as an abstract without knowing more deets on ports that don't play well on architecture not great at RT already. They have more pain than they already have cause I don't hear DF mentioning that pain of not developing on an ampere.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Sure it makes it more accessible to people, but this isn't what this thread is about, it's about developer pains with the machine. Let's not switch subjects.

People can still play the games, but obviously with less features than the more powerful version, that's expected. Since MS didn't provide tools to properly scale everything in their SDK, then why should developers spend any extra time on it?
Why are you putting this on the SDK, when it's the hardware that is the pain sometimes? A developer made this comment.

Post in thread 'DF: We've heard from multiple devs that Series S is a bit of a pain at times (regarding memory constraints not CPU/GPU power)' https://www.resetera.com/threads/df...raints-not-cpu-gpu-power.581972/post-86379515

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Even if the pain is real they aren't really going about it in productive ways.

There are tons of reasons why they could be having the pains as in the tools they use , a bloaty OS bad at memory and their own engine.

Yet I'm not gonna rag on architecture as an abstract without knowing more deets on ports that don't play well on architecture not great at RT already. They have more pain than they already have cause I don't hear DF mentioning that pain of not developing on an ampere.
Yea sorry, you're never going to get a third party optimizing 100% to a console for multiplatform releases. Even the most powerful machines don't get fully optimized, you think they're going to do it for the less powerful machines ? Look at Switch ports.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Yea sorry, you're never going to get a third party optimizing 100% to a console for multiplatform releases. Even the most powerful machines don't get fully optimized, you think they're going to do it for the less powerful machines ? Look at Switch ports.

it's ludicrous to suggest I want 100% or that anyone was expecting it. World of differences between something and nothing or something useful or ineffectual. This is the nasty balance of harmony devs need to hit.

If you haven't taken the time to get some results or make a better engine that's not anyone but the devs/publishers themselves.

I like switch ports and defend plenty of decent ones while crapping on some of it's worst like saint's row or lost ark.

You also aren't going to have perfect tools 2 years in to a generation.

time stamp not working , what point in video is it ?

about 1:10:56

Garulon

Jul 22, 2020

OK but it seems like it's the same subject, it's got tighter constraints than the Series X specifically because it's designed to be a cheaper console. Trade off for that is figuring out what you have to cut back to fit it on the Series S. If you're lucky targeting 1440p instead of 2160p will do it, if you have stuff like a lighting setup that needs 5GB of RAM to work then you have problems

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

Devs will spend time on what's best for their game artistically and/or financially.

Devs will deal with the "pain" of optimization for the series S and similarly constrained PC hardware if there is market for it.

This isn't a matter of MS not providing "scaling tools". It's really just a hypothetical question regarding the prospects of developers eventually keying on design principles that are to expensive for the series S to deliver a at a satisfactory level.

Given how expensive and scarce current gen hardware is and will be for the foreseeable future, I bet economics will "hold back" the generation far more than the Series S will… actually, I bet the availability of Series S will carry much of the load to make next gen designs financially viable.

Tyche-42

Sep 29, 2021
Developers should just do the bare minimum and not worry too much about it. It was Microsoft's decision to go a 2 SKU, 2 spec route. They said their tools would handle it, but now it's on the developers for some reason.
Are we just pretending optimization isnt a part of development now or what?

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Yeah, this was going to happen. Probably isn't going to get better as this generation moves along (and due to the supply shortages and probably looming recession, I expect it to be longer than the last one).

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Given how expensive and scarce current gen hardware is and will be for the foreseeable future, I bet economics will "hold back" the generation far more than the Series S will… actually, I bet the availability of Series S will carry much of the load to make next gen designs financially viable.
It's a interesting discussion. Would Warner Bros decided to cancel the PS4 and Xbox One version without the Series S existing? We will never know, but fact of the matter is Microsoft can produce more Series S consoles than X, because the chip is smaller. This has a impact on how many Xbox consoles are out there and on how big the current gen console install base is. So is Series S really holding back current gen or is the console (indirectly) the reason publishers will faster move on from last gen compared to a generation with just Series X and PS5?

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
It's a interesting discussion. Would Warner Bros decided to cancel the PS4 and Xbox One version without the Series S existing? We will never know, but fact of the matter is Microsoft can produce more Series S consoles than X, because the chip is smaller. This has a impact on how many Xbox consoles are out there and on how big the current gen console install base is. So is Series S really holding back current gen or is the console (indirectly) the reason publishers will faster move on from last gen compared to a generation with just Series X and PS5?

Yeah it's definitely a complex equation, but one thing is pretty certain, there would be fewer next gen consoles in the wild if the Series S didn't exist. And that scenario would strengthen the financial incentive for continued cross-gen development.

Devs will be less and less gun-shy about targeting the SSD and RAM improvements with their core systems as more and more households have access to the hardware required. And the logistics of Series S can make that hardware available to more households.

zaitsu

Banned
Jan 27, 2022
User Warned: Trolling
The reality of this is it's a cheap console to make next gen games accessible to huge parts of the world or for people who don't want to spend big sums of money on gaming hardware.

Case in point 100% of PC gamers does not have a 3090
But most PC gamers behave like they all have 3090 in their rigs LMAO.
Playing on PC that isn't at least better than PS5 does not make sense for me.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm pretty sure it would be right in line with PS4 -> PS5 if you account for ipc increases, right? An 8x performance increase gen on gen. Granted I don't think it'll reach that, but I can see it being significantly more powerful than the steam deck, it'll likely have a node advantage over it and have the benefit of being designed primarily as a game machine rather than a repurposed laptop APU.

PS4->PS5, 4-6x CPU, 2.5X in game useable ram, 5.6x GPU raw compute
Switch -> Steam deck -> ~8x CPU, 4x game usable ram, 4.2x GPU raw compute

Switch -> Series S -> 16x CPU, 3x ram usable ram, 10.4x GPU raw compute.

Switch to Steam deck is a much closer jump. It's actually a slightly bigger jump than PS4->PS5.

It's quite possible the dock version of Switch running with DLSS will match or slightly exceed the Series S in visuals and image quality.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
But most PC gamers behave like they all have 3090 in their rigs LMAO.

Most pc gamers and most pc gamers that you're aware of are two different things.

Most pc gamers aren't giving their opinions online to begin with.

Playing on PC that isn't at least better than PS5 does not make sense for me.

My last few rigs before I stuck 3070 or 3080's in my new ones weren't more powerful and did just fine considering I didn't play games that need Ps5 or my current level of power at 1080p and I game at high fps like 100+

Why upgrade when it's not necessary?

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
It really doesn't matter since in a few years when series S can't support new games due to bottleneck Series S will be promoted as cloud streaming only along with their new stick.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
If a game was designed to be heavily dependent on ray traced lighting, do you think the cost of the lighting system could be sufficiently reduced to support the Series S? Or do you think Devs will be less likely to build systems around Ray tracing knowing that the series s needs to be supported as well.
The interesting part of the question is that the Series S does actually support ray tracing, it supports everything the X does. What no one has explored yet (at least publicly) is just how different the performance is. But also as of right now all anyone has done with ray tracing on consoles has been strictly supplementary, and still with notable performance costs. It remains to be seen if there's a game to be made on the PS5/Series X that truly is 100% dependent on ray tracing, and on top of that something the Series S would have complications in running it.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The interesting part of the question is that the Series S does actually support ray tracing, it supports everything the X does. What no one has explored yet (at least publicly) is just how different the performance is. But also as of right now all anyone has done with ray tracing on consoles has been strictly supplementary, and still with notable performance costs. It remains to be seen if there's a game to be made on the PS5/Series X that truly is 100% dependent on ray tracing, and on top of that something the Series S would have complications in running it.
Metro Exodus: Enhanced Edition is precisely the type of fully RT dependent game you're talking about here and it runs surprisingly well on the Series S… while also hitting resolution lows as low as 512p in some spots.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Exodus: Enhanced Edition is precisely the type of fully RT dependent game you're talking about here and it runs surprisingly well on the Series S… while also hitting resolution lows as low as 512p in some spots.

Wouldn't this be an example of supplemental RT if versions of the game exist without RT at all?

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Based on what you got this impression?

I can see the Series S getting slightly better optimization if last-gen versions are no longer a concern for developers, but I think the actual difference to current Series S versions will be not that big.

Doesn't this mean what you quoted? Games aren't going to get less intensive as we roll along.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Based on what you got this impression?

I can see the Series S getting slightly better optimization if last-gen versions are no longer a concern for developers, but I think the actual difference to current Series S versions will be not that big.

Why do you think optimizations will be "slightly" better?

Surely it'll more efficiently run software designed explicitly for its feature set then it does Brute forcing games designed for last gen hardware

4A went and did the necessary engine work to make ray tracing their only solution going forward.

Very cool and very interesting, thanks

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
To clarify a bit, it was more a question about which game he was specifically talking about that gave him the impression that the cross gen support was holding back the Series S optimization.

If it was Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition that gave him this impression, then I probably would disagree. The Series S version of this game didn't look noticeably better than games that had cross-gen releases. At least from what I've seen on the DF video.

But then again, Metro Exodus is a special case. It is fundamentally a last-gen game with a current-gen port, I could see current-gen only game to look slightly better than that. This is why I added the second sentence, but this was just speculation on my end. It was really more about the first question.

Well this discussion shouldn't really rest on the visual presentation. It's more about design principles that require next gen hardware as a baseline.

if S is actually guilty of holding next gen back, it wouldn't be because it's forcing Devs to make less visually impressive games in general. It would be because there's some hypothetical concept that's so demanding that the S can't handle it, so devs have to compromise on delivering that concept across the board.

Without a doubt, series S will have games that look much better than metro

Last edited:

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
To clarify a bit, it was more a question about which game he was specifically talking about that gave him the impression that the cross gen support was holding back the Series S optimization.

If it was Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition that gave him this impression, then I probably would disagree. The Series S version of this game didn't look noticeably better than games that had cross-gen releases. At least from what I've seen on the DF video.

But then again, Metro Exodus is a special case. It is fundamentally a last-gen game with a current-gen port, I could see current-gen only game to look slightly better than that. This is why I added the second sentence, but this was just speculation on my end. It was really more about the first question.

You really think the Series S ceiling is metro exodus? You can see the hellblade trailer....you think the series s will be downgraded to look more like a last gen game? Eeehhhh

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
are folks forgetting that Metro Exodus is 60fps (at least targeting it) on the Series S?

BFIB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a PS5, grabbed a Series S on Woot. It's a great little console, and as long as I can play Starfield decently on my 1080P I'm good.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I can see Xbox Games Studios titles like Hellblade or Starfield get the good optimization for the Series S, but I can also see multiplatform developers doing the bare minimum regarding optimization just to get clearance from Microsoft. We already see that happening in some capacity, games often don't have graphic modes on the Series S that are available on the Series X/PS5.
We've also seen multiple developers patching modes in later on. Which suggest they're willing to do it and just needed more time. Either to get better at using the Series S hardware or to be able to focus more on it, once the Xbox One, Xbox One X, PS4, PS4 Pro, PS5, Series X and PC versions were delivered. Don't forget devs have a lot of devices to cover, so moving past cross gen will already help with optimization.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
At 864p normally, 512p in the Taiga area, per the DF video, yeah. Metro Exodus is also a last gen title with a coat of RTGI. Still impressive but not the best example for the future.
I think that's fine, especially if paired with something like FSR 2.0. When games start going full RT, Series S will probably be 30FPS mainly, which is perfectly fine IMO. It's the budget console, you can't expect to do 60 forever.

MR2

Apr 14, 2022
How much better is the X compared to the S if you only have a 1080P 60hz TV?