• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Yep. Actually faster CPU than PS5 with SMT disabled. Series S CPU won't be an issue at all.
Yep and although it's slightly offtopic, I do wonder as someone who is not a game developer, what devs think about the CPU versus PS5 CPU. Obviously you got a slightly higher clock speed on PS5 (SMT enabled), but the PS5 OS needs more resources, thus devs get 6.5 cores for games instead of 7 cores on Series. DF mentioned how many cores these consoles have for games in the last podcast or so. If anyone wonders what my source is.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Itll be curious if next gen they repeat the dual console strategy (almost every major tech company offering a hardware product [mobile, laptop, etc] is doing so, so it wouldn't surprise me) or if this was mainly a way to regain market share after a bad last gen via a cheap hardware option
I mean I know a fair number of people that didn't bother with any model of the XB1, but the Series S made a strong enough case to atleast make sure they weren't missing out on Game Pass.

It's a strategy that's working, even if it's not a dominating hardware offering.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
On the bright side, optimising games well to work on Series S likely leads to improved performance on Series X and PS5, to an extent. It might cut some scope or technical ambition a littleā€¦but maybe that keeps us on the 60fps tracks a bit longer. If people start making games that are so ambitious that the Series S can't run them, I somehow doubt we'll be getting 60fps in those games šŸ˜…
Unless a game is supremely cpu bound across xs and ps5 the series s "version" should be basically the 60 fps performance mode on series x at the least

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Yep and although it's slightly offtopic, I do wonder as someone who is not a game developer, what devs think about the CPU versus PS5 CPU. Obviously you got a slightly higher clock speed on PS5 (SMT enabled), but the PS5 OS needs more resources, thus devs get 6.5 cores for games instead of 7 cores on Series X. DF mentioned how many cores these consoles have for games in the last podcast or so. If anyone wonders what my source is.
They are all very close to each other, it's pretty much a wash.

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
I debated getting one just as an extra system but have just been remote streaming from my XSX or cloud streaming from Azure, and it works very well (in my specific region/network).

Gotta remember there's people still rocking OG Xbox One systems out there without a care in the world. Anyone who wants the best performing Xbox, will already own, or will eventually own the Series X. The people concerned with memory limitations bringing down rez or framerates aren't prospective Series S owners.

Honestly if I were to purchase a Series S all I would want as a guarantee is every game that is 60fps on Series X, is 60fps on Series S as well, regardless of the hit to resolution. Personally for me, I'd prefer 768p/60fps rather than 4K/30fps any day of the week lol...which I'm sure is an unpopular opinion, but an opinion nonetheless.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Meh, I doubt this becomes an issue anytime soon.

Series S will handle current gen games better than it handles cross gen games.

Last edited:

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
Unless a game is supremely cpu bound across xs and ps5 the series s "version" should be basically the 60 fps performance mode on series x at the least
Yeahā€¦.exactly. My point is if you can get something working well on Series S then you're more likely to be able to pull off a 60fps mode on the bigger consoles. They've already done the work to optimise it for a less powerful machine, so it's easier to create those performance modes.

Tyche-42

Sep 29, 2021
IIRC it was designed to utilize the SSD to offset this so im sure it is a pain in the ass when developing cross gen games where they cant do that. I'll reserve judgement untill I see how it does with games developed for current gen that can be optimized with the SSD in mind.

Lol at the hyperbolic takes in this thread though. Concern trolls gonna conern troll.

SJPN

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it's related, but I was thinking recently about when we'll get the first game tailored and pushing the XSX.

Forza Horizon 5 is a lovely looking game but does feel like a last gen game given a polish. Horizon FW is similar but the PS5 game does look fully next gen at times. I want the same for my Xbox.

I was looking forward to MS finally dropping support for XBO and going all in on the current hardware, but it will be a shame if XSS still holds back the XSX true potential.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't anything new there was a developer on Twitter immediately complaining about the system as soon as the system was officially revealed but than his tweets mysteriously disappear not long after.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
This isn't anything new there was a developer on Twitter immediately complaining about the system as soon as the system was officially revealed but than his tweets mysteriously disappear not long after.
That was the Director of Engine Technology @ id Software. He deleted the tweet when Bethesda got acquired.

It's in the article that OP posted, here's a copy of the tweet in question:

Screenshot_2022-05-11_at_12.19.48_am.png

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I guess it's related, but I was thinking recently about when we'll get the first game tailored and pushing the XSX.

Forza Horizon 5 is a lovely looking game but does feel like a last gen game given a polish. Horizon FW is similar but the PS5 game does look fully next gen at times. I want the same for my Xbox.

I was looking forward to MS finally dropping support for XBO and going all in on the current hardware, but it will be a shame if XSS still holds back the XSX true potential.
Forza Motorsport, probably later this year.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
That was the Director of Engine Technology @ id Software. He deleted the tweet when Bethesda got acquired.

Yep that's the one this simply stuck to my mind because it seemed like he got a preview of the hardware specs and he didn't like what they saw so as soon as the system was officially revealed (after being leaked of course) he was finally able to voice his opinion.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Yep that's the one this simply stuck to my mind because it seemed like they got a preview of the hardware specs and they didn't like what they saw so as soon as the system was officially revealed (after being leaked of course) he was finally able to voice his opinion.

Some of his tweet is just plain out wrong. The split memory pool might be alarming on the X, but it's all unified (8GB) for the game on the S. It was clearly a knee jerk reaction without knowing all the technical details yet, which I completely understand since that's how most of us operate when it comes to gaming news.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I'm guessing the XSS will be fazed out in 2024-25 or whenever the mid gen consoles drop. XSX will become the cheaper option, the XSXX will be the higher end model.
Zero chance of that happening. Series S was made, because cost reduction this generation will be much harder to do for Sony and Microsoft.
Itll be curious if next gen they repeat the dual console strategy (almost every major tech company offering a hardware product [mobile, laptop, etc] is doing so, so it wouldn't surprise me) or if this was mainly a way to regain market share after a bad last gen via a cheap hardware option
They'll do it again imo, because cost reduction opportunity get worse with every generation and this generation run into the following issue:

We are facing a big change in how consoles are designed. I believe when we first started building the original Xbox 360 - the smallest one without the HDD - that cost us about $460. By the end of the generation it cost us around $120 - and that cost reduction path was driven principally by silicon cost reduction."
"Moore's Law is certainly not dead! Moore's Law is continuing and we have a good path to 5nm and 3nm, and those are going to bring improved performance and good power," enthuses Goossen. "What they're not bringing any more is a good cost reduction cost per transistor - and so this has foundational impacts to console development, because now we'll get cost reductions, but they're slowing down and it won't be nearly the magnitudes that we've seen before."
Previous generations were kind of easy because at the beginning of the generation, you make something really expensive - put as much silicon and as much performance as you could into it - then you would just ride the cost reduction curves down to mass market prices. That's not there anymore," Goossen explains
www.eurogamer.net

The big Xbox Series S interview: why Microsoft made an entry-level next-gen console

We knew it was in development, we even got to see it during our visit to the Microsoft campus back in March - but todayā€¦

How can the "split memory banks with drastically slower speeds" be an issue for games, when the 2GB of slower RAM are exclusively used by the OS? I am not saying he is totally wrong with his assessment of the memory situation as a whole, since obviously he knows much more than I do. But that part doesn't make any sense to me.

Last edited:

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Nobody's going to compromise a release on behalf of the Steam Deck, that's on the user/Valve to figure out how to get it running well enough. No console-like cert process, just an after-the-fact verification model. But yeah, the architecture does line up much more closely.

I meant the comparison in terms of the types of sacrifices that will be made for certain console games to run on the Series S. There are some remarkable ports on the Switch (Doom, The Witcher 3) and they're playable, but still fairly compromised compared to what the Xbox One/PS4 versions of those games were like. The Series S could end up in a similar position relative to the PS5/XSX, depending on the game.

Like, right now the most consistent difference between playing games on Series S vs. Series X is resolution, and reaching towards 120 FPS (which some games still pull off on the Series S performance modes, I believe Samurai Shodown does for example). That gap could widen a bit for some memory-hungry games. But I think both will still be playing fundamentally the same games.

Steamdeck can actually run UE5 which isn't well optimized for it. Series S can do matrix awakens.

The level of compromise will not be to the degree switch required going forward

Considering what the deck or series S can run, either can do UE5 quite a stretch to use compromise when most devs can't make a game that fits that word.

Sure S is lacking to say they are using it well is something much more potent to remind people of.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
I applaud DF for having the mental fortitude to say this on our Lord's internet lol

Hopefully they don't get too much shit from console warriors this time.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Steamdeck can actually run UE5 which isn't well optimized for it. Series S can do matrix awakens.

The level of compromise will not be to the degree switch required going forward

Considering what the deck or series S can run, either can do UE5 quite a stretch to use compromise when most devs can't make a game that fits that word.

Sure S is lacking to say they are using it well is something much more potent to remind people of.
I wouldn't say Steamdeck can run UE5 lol. 15 fps...

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017

Stygian

Banned
Dec 11, 2021
It has 8gb usable ram for games we still have tons of 6gb and 8gb GPUs in pc space being sold and at 1080p to 1440p target resolution I don't see how this is an issue.

Digital Foundry spoke to developers - you know, people who work with and develop games professionally and for a living, and who as a result know far more about these things than posters on internet forums.

Stygian

Banned
Dec 11, 2021
Doubt most of the people who bought the Series S thought of it as a stopgap. And finding themselves with a console that doesn't run games after a year or two of ownership, or can only stream them, would probably not go over well.

It's exactly how I thought of mine, and why I jumped on a series x the instant I saw one in person, on a store shelf for the first time, and sold the series s two days later.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Any piece of dedicated hardware/console holding back current gen games should be skipped or have it's development significantly scaled back to the point where it doesn't affect pushing this hobby forwards.

I'm about the hobby growing and moving forward. Hardware that can't keep up, to me, is an impediment.

I would feel the same about the Steam Deck or the Switch if games were mandated to be shipped on those devices also. Thankfully...
So consoles shouldn't exist then. Because so long as they do they will eventually hold gaming back. Or rather non upgradeable hardware shouldn't exist? That's basically what you said, but I don't disagree. I don't think consoles should be the baseline as these last 2 gens they haven't been bleeding edge.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
IIRC it was designed to utilize the SSD to offset this so im sure it is a pain in the ass when developing cross gen games where they cant do that. I'll reserve judgement untill I see how it does with games developed for current gen that can be optimized with the SSD in mind.

Lol at the hyperbolic takes in this thread though. Concern trolls gonna conern troll.
Era really doesn't like the Series S, lol. Ever since we learned about the Xbox "Lockhart", way before we knew the specs.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Cue surprise.

Well I only hope they don't compromise on their vision, even if the XSS version end up running like shit.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Do you think we're going to see any games this gen that can't run on Series S with the typical cutbacks [lower res, no RT]?
Only if a developer aggressively programmed themselves into a corner, despite the already present knowledge of the minimum spec. At 5.5GB less than the X, I'd frankly see this as someone building a room with no doorways while they're inside it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Do you think we're going to see any games this gen that can't run on Series S with the typical cutbacks [lower res, no RT]?
I think we're going to see some games eventually where the level of cutbacks needed make it just a pretty crummy version of a game (especially when we get to the point in the gen when the X and PS5 are going to be struggling).

But it would be really hard to make a game that's impossible to make playable on the S but not the X. You would have to try.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Only if a developer aggressively programmed themselves into a corner, despite the already present knowledge of the minimum spec. At 4GB* less than the X, I'd frankly see this as someone building a room with no doorways while they're inside it.

* A little less than 4GB. Title memory isn't exact.

Unless something has changed for the worse on X, isn't it 8GB vs 13.5GB? So a 5.5GB delta.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Unless something has changed for the worse on X, isn't it 8GB vs 13.5GB? So a 5.5GB delta.
Ooop, yes, I misread my own numbers. Thanks for the catch.

At 5.5 GB difference I could see maybe an open world game needing to adjust with that in mind... maybe? But we've been doing open world games since even the Xbox 360, so I'd be generally curious as to how that's achieved. That seems like texture resolution territory instead.

Last edited:

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
I mean, obviously.
All the greatly optimized games have had lower asset quality on the S than all other consoles which makes sense since in lower resolution you wouldnt notice them as much. I would assume that doing so would be a little bit of pain.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, it was obvious that a lower spec machine will be less powerful and potentially holding back the more powerful machines.
Too many drank the "just lower resolution" kool aid, especially when spurred by some journalists.

You get what you pay for. That said, the image quality on some Series S games is really rough. For me it really feels like there is a huge gap when I play it vs my PS5.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone is confident that Nintendo Switch successor can reach/exceed Series S specs? That should be what developers should be concerned of