• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 2, 2017
A good chunk of leaks indicate a performance gain in ray tracing up to 3x for ampere compared to turing.
Any sources? I know about the 4x raytracing performance rumour but that got put on all tech websites but never heard anything about 3x. That was a single rumour though. Anyway I find 3x-4x very unlikely given that devs have been claiming that the bottleneck for raytracing is currently in shading performance so I don't see an easy way to increase raytracing performance by that much.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Any sources? I know about the 4x raytracing performance rumour but that got put on all tech websites but never heard anything about 3x. That was a single rumour though. Anyway I find 3x-4x very unlikely given that devs have been claiming that the bottleneck for raytracing is currently in shading performance so I don't see an easy way to increase raytracing performance by that much.

Sure but lots of stuff is also spread out over the usual good sources like Igorslab, KOMACHI_ENSAKA and kopite7kimi.

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
I can't think of a more worthless graphical upgrade than raytraced reflections. At a glance I barely notice a difference with how games usually look.

This isn't a particularly good looking game either, anyway.
Have to disagree here I think it looks amazing, obviously I'm talking about the Raytracing as the game is a mixed bag graphically but I'm excited for the tech.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I honestly think RT reflections makes a lot of sense for a modern City game with all the glass and metals.

Good to see DLSS 2.0 is in here!

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Dynamic 4k, selective RT, and 30 FPS is absolutely what we're going to expect this gen from consoles. I'm betting the 30XX isn't going to be the lift necessary to avoid somr of these things either without the use of DLSS.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
There would be much less negative sentiment around RTX if Nvidia marketed it with better game choices. Cant expect people to have positive reactions when more often than not its implemented in games that are visually unimpressive to begin with.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
I can't think of a more worthless graphical upgrade than raytraced reflections. At a glance I barely notice a difference with how games usually look.

This isn't a particularly good looking game either, anyway.
Devs should include RT global illumination before even thinking about reflections. Made a huge difference in Metro Exodus.

WhisperOfMalice

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I find it weird how they don't aim for more busy environments like more npcs etc instead of some super expensive tech like RT reflections.
Could someone explain more about this?

CelticKennedy

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 18, 2019
Personally, I will gladly turn off raytracing to get better frame rates. I guess I'm one of the few people who are fine with screen-space reflections. Now when it comes to advanced sound in games, reflecting and bouncing off objects, now you have my attention.

Aug 2, 2019
Before Dictator gets here I want to take a guess for funsies. RT reflections is a 50% hit, RT GI is 35%, and Shadows is 30%. I am probably way off though. Haha.

Hedonism Bot

Oct 27, 2017
Always love to see a DF video, and am super keen for the game. Can't help but feel through that the in game brightness setting is washing out a lot of the footage, like what you see with some people playing COD: MW.

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Looks as if our graphical future will be as harsh as Legions dystopian setting.

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if AC Vikings will have any of this tech? Do we know anything about what the next gen version will offer?

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
This doesn't look good at all. Outdoor city exploration during day time looks downright ugly.
Yeah, there's definitely something up with the daytime rendering. I went back and looked at some WD2 gameplay and it wasn't anywhere near this flat and washed out. I think there's something up with the shadows or something

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Game looks like ass after the super cool looking short film. This is when I prefer art over tech.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
This looks really unimpressive. I think most of Ubi's recent games have looked substantially better and performance seems rough even with it being capped at 1080/30

Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020
Did anyone else notice that the game isn't being made by Ubisoft Montreal like WD1 and 2?

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
I don't know much about graphical computation, but how computationally expensive is RT GI compared to RT reflections and RT shadows?

i-QIx-Py-Akvtl-Ez-QOm.jpg

Cerny said its difficulty is in this order for the PS5

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
I think that raytraced global illumination would have been a better option instead of reflections.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
i-QIx-Py-Akvtl-Ez-QOm.jpg

Cerny said its difficulty is in this order for the PS5
It depends on the type of GI - you can do "RT GI" in a very cheap way as described by here but it is not really tracing the lighting in the scene, rather it is tracing the occlusion of baked probes in the scene. It is going to have accuracy issues and issues of dynamism. So you can have something called "global illumination" modified by RT, but it is not the real deal. So I am not sure exactly why Cerny put the difficulty ordering in that way above^^ - maybe he is putting RTGI below reflections there since he is referencing cheaper approximates like the link I put above instead of the real deal.

RT GI, when done in a dynamic way not just modifying probe occlusion with REAL glossy reflections would end up being the most expensive technique as it includes reflections as part of it even.

Even Metro Exodus simplifies how it does RTGI because it is extremely expensive to do it in the most correct way. The way the specular reflections are done in Metro Exodus for its GI are simplified - still better than none at all, of course, but still it must be said.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Wasn't really impressed by the rt in that video tbh. You run by the cars etc. in the game anyway and don't notice the fake reflections after some playtime. At least I don't. Curious to see what kind of performance impact that has. Definitely wouldn't be worth it over 60fps for me. Then again, achieving stable 60fps in a Ubisoft open world game is also not easy.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know much about graphical computation, but how computationally expensive is RT GI compared to RT reflections and RT shadows?
There is no "most" and "least" expensive with RT, everything is down to particular implementation, just like with rasterization. You can have reflections done sparingly, with high level of cut off on non-glossy materials and they'll be relatively fast or you can have all the world reflecting light with multiple bounces and this will be slow as hell. Same goes for anything done with RT really, with the only caveat being that in some cases you really start running into diminishing returns meaning that you're wasting performance on improvements which most people won't be able to notice.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
It depends on the type of GI - you can do "RT GI" in a very cheap way as described by here but it is not really tracing the lighting in the scene, rather it is tracing the occlusion of baked probes in the scene. It is going to have accuracy issues and issues of dynamism. So you can have something called "global illumination" modified by RT, but it is not the real deal. So I am not sure exactly why Cerny put the difficulty ordering in that way above^^ - maybe he is putting RTGI below reflections there since he is referencing cheaper approximates like the link I put above instead of the real deal.

RT GI, when done in a dynamic way not just modifying probe occlusion with REAL glossy reflections would end up being the most expensive technique as it includes reflections as part of it even.

Even Metro Exodus simplifies how it does RTGI because it is extremely expensive to do it in the most correct way. The way the specular reflections are done in Metro Exodus for its GI are simplified - still better than none at all, of course, but still it must be said.
I see
thanks for explaining
where would you put lumen in terms of difficulty

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I see
thanks for explaining
where would you put lumen in terms of difficulty
Somewhere between that cheap RT GI and the real deal. They need to detail it more, but it by its nature is going to be cheaper than the real deal since it is partially faked in screen space for dynamic objects and small assets, and the larger features are done in a simplified way. There is the theoretical scenario though that Lumen could be more expensive than the real deal ray tracing as it probably scales poorly. It is using simplified representations for larger/static objects, and if you wanted to increase that resolution of the simplifications for those larger objects, it could get crazy expensive real quick, unlike triangle ray tracing which handles resolution more gracefully.

The problem with Lumen is that it is not hardware accellerated - so it is not at all using the RT HW in these modern GPUs that support HWRT. So it is kinda leaving performance on the table since it does not use triangle ray tracing but other types of tracing.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Woof, that pop-in! Last Ubisoft game to impress graphically was The Division 1 (and somewhat some areas in 2)

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere between that cheap RT GI and the real deal. They need to detail it more, but it by its nature is going to be cheaper than the real deal since it is partially faked in screen space for dynamic objects and small assets, and the larger features are done in a simplified way. There is the theoretical scenario though that Lumen could be more expensive than the real deal ray tracing as it probably scales poorly. It is using simplified representations for larger/static objects, and if you wanted to increase that resolution of the simplifications for those larger objects, it could get crazy expensive real quick, unlike triangle ray tracing which handles resolution more gracefully.

The problem with Lumen is that it is not hardware accellerated - so it is not at all using the RT HW in these modern GPUs that support HWRT. So it is kinda leaving performance on the table since it does not use triangle ray tracing but other types of tracing.

Can devs mix and match? Like, use Lumen on a SW basis and use the RT cores for reflections?

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All the talk about draw distance made me remember that Watch Dogs 2 had an "extra details" setting that added more complexity to objects in the game world (far and close). But it cost a lot of performance, especially on the CPU side. I couldn't use it on my i7 6700k back then.

So, I jumped back in today to have a look and wow: CPU load on modern, multi thread CPUs is still remarkably high during that scenario. The culprit is the city in the background.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to determine how good the graphics actually are on what im guessing is a recording of a streamed game. I hope the final XSX version gives an option between framerate and graphical effects though.

I thought the original RTX trailer looked pretty good

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
I'm quite bothered by the puddles and their perfect reflections - they are impressive as a tech thing but a puddle does not look like that at all in real life. They really need to add some noise in there, even if obviously it doesn't work as well as a showcase.

In a twisted way, SSR artifacts (which were/are ugly in their own right) helped those kind of objects look more believable in some situations.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
fairly certain GI is the most expensive of the bunch with shadows being the next most expensive
Iirc hadows are not as expensive as reflections, especially if the game is doing transparency reflections as well as diffuse reflections rather than just opaque mirrored reflections.
So it goes like GI > Reflections > Shadows > AO (though if the game has RTGI, then it'll automatically have AO from it if I'm not wrong). We'll see emissive lights in Cyberpunk no idea how expensive that's going to be.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hard to determine how good the graphics actually are on what im guessing is a recording of a streamed game. I hope the final XSX version gives an option between framerate and graphical effects though.

The game was being streamed, but the footage was recorded by ubi locally and then made available to influencers.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

It looks decent but there are no ripples in the puddles. Looks a bit jarring in that way.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm quite bothered by the puddles and their perfect reflections - they are impressive as a tech thing but a puddle does not look like that at all in real life. They really need to add some noise in there, even if obviously it doesn't work as well as a showcase.

In a twisted way, SSR artifacts (which were/are ugly in their own right) helped those kind of objects look more believable in some situations.

Also the water in the puddle never moves or is affected by cars or people stepping into one.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
Is it me or youtube video are getting worse and worse ? i got the feeling that each video are more compressed than before.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
It seems like the reflective surface is going to be the new overused effect in games next gen.