• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Third party games will look better on Xbox. Anyone who's hoping for anything else will have a reality check. Differences will be small, though

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
If the next god of war is next gen only I expect that to be the first true show case of next gen.
I think demon souls does an excellent job. They are doing some crazy fluid simulations already on the fog and smoke in the game. If GOW is next gen only too yeah its gonna be a monster too.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I think it's a guarantee that the Series X will have better performance in third party games as it's more powerful. How much might be negligible.

There could be some weird things in the beginning but it really would defy logic. It would be like when DX12 was going to close the gap between Xbox One and PS4. People said that too, but at the end of day it did very little.

And yeah developer talent and budget obviously are more important to what a game looks like, but that's not really relevant in this conversation. As far as pro units, you better believe it. I would bet they are being planned now. The only question is if Sony and Microsoft are going to release one or two at the same time.
That's what I mean, if we aren't noticing graphical differences without DF side-by-side and 5-6 frame-rate differences, I would say Sony kinda wins the tech bet deciding to improve the SSD to a higher level and we get some cool game design out of it. I'm very interested in it tbh. If you play something on X and then on PS5 and clearly feel "this is running better, feels better on X" then I would say MS won it.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Third party games will look better on Xbox. Anyone who's hoping for anything else will have a reality check. Differences will be small, though

They will, but that won't matter cos the difference will probably be even less than pro Vs one X and that wasn't noticeablet without a side by side comparison and no one does that in their home

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
IO is so you don't buckle when you throw the kitchen sink at your game even with optimization dense or heavily active games are a one way ticket to no fps at any resolution past 540p. Sony is hoping devs asking for that grunt start making use of it.
Yeah, I really wanna see why Sony turned left here with the tech. Because they are both very similar specced machined otherwise.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
That's what I mean, if we aren't noticing graphical differences without DF side-by-side and 5-6 frame-rate differences, I would say Sony kinda wins the tech bet deciding to improve the SSD to a higher level and we get some cool game design out of it. I'm very interested in it tbh. If you play something on X and then on PS5 and clearly feel "this is running better, feels better on X" then I would say MS won it.

Sony's marketing department is SO good at what they do...

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019

Maybe, I still have my doubts tbh. Any differences will be so small we'll have to rely on DF 800% zoom and dissect the meaning of 2-3% differences in framerates.

Jul 10, 2020
arthur gies was the one selling the "secret sauce" that he couldn't tell us about but believe him it's coming! Many "industry" people lost credibility during that time.

anyone else Remember Cboat? Or was it Cbaot? No one wanted to believe his leaks and when they came true, oh the meltdowns. Message boards will never be that entertaining again. What a time that was.
Man when it turned out that Cboat was a throwaway account for mods.... Hoo Boy.

I still say that NTKernal was Phil S himself.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I think demon souls does an excellent job. They are doing some crazy fluid simulations already on the fog and smoke in the game. If GOW is next gen only too yeah its gonna be a monster too.
yo Demon's souls look almost too good...Like I'm almost expecting an UC4/TLOU2 situation where it doesn't look like that. But I think it does!

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Sony's marketing department is SO good at what they do...
lol nobody is drinking the cool-aid (well I am a Pony/Nintendolite) here, there clearly have a tech advantage in IO/SSD, MS has just about everything else. One of them spent more time in an area than the other, could both just end up having benefits but I'm assuming one will end up being more smartly designed than the other.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
yeah lol but re watch that boss fight lord the way the smoke comes in and out is insane. lol
www.youtube.com

MAX REACTS: Demon's Souls - THIS IS NEXT GEN! PS5 Gameplay Trailer

Check out our Livestream! http://twitch.tv/maximilian_dood Get 10% off X-Split Broadcaster with 'dood01' ►►►https://www.xsplit.com/buy?pp=WWW_NAVBAR Our offi...

This is literally my reaction, I'm like "this is fake!" What is this?

DeS and the Monkey game to me blew me away visually. I couldn't believe that thread saying next-gen isn't impressive lol.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
www.youtube.com

MAX REACTS: Demon's Souls - THIS IS NEXT GEN! PS5 Gameplay Trailer

Check out our Livestream! http://twitch.tv/maximilian_dood Get 10% off X-Split Broadcaster with 'dood01' ►►►https://www.xsplit.com/buy?pp=WWW_NAVBAR Our offi...

This is literally my reaction, I'm like "this is fake!" What is this?

DeS and the Monkey game to me blew me away visually. I couldn't believe that thread saying next-gen isn't impressive lol.
LMAO right. thats it.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Tooling for PS5 not only seems to be way more mature and a more clear evolution of PS4 tooling - i.e. transitioning development from one environment to the next is closer to seamless, as promised by Cerny - but historically devs seem to enjoy working with it, with stuff like Sony's suite of profiling/tracing/optimization tools - Razor and Linker - being pretty much cutting edge in the field.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
lol nobody is drinking the cool-aid (well I am a Pony/Nintendolite) here, there clearly have a tech advantage in IO/SSD, MS has just about everything else. One of them spent more time in an area than the other, could both just end up having benefits but I'm assuming one will end up being more smartly designed than the other.

It's only in IO/SSD

MS is leveraging their IO benefits in virtual ram concepts, which I think will be foreign to most devs for a little while longer. Devs have great options either way if they choose to use either.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
It's only in IO/SSD

MS is leveraging their IO benefits in virtual ram concepts, which I think will be foreign to most devs for a little while longer. Devs have great options either way if they choose to use either.
true...well correction, I'm not drinking the Sony marketing cool-aide, but I am drinking the Cerny smooth talk! lol...Just wanting to see why Sony designed how they designed, maybe it is just to speed up development so PS5 is maxed out sooner.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
true...well correction, I'm not drinking the Sony marketing cool-aide, but I am drinking the Cerny smooth talk! lol...Just wanting to see why Sony designed how they designed, maybe it is just to speed up development so PS5 is maxed out sooner.

Really sorry if I felt you meant that, I don't.

I feel sony did a bangup job. One of the best both it and how power works from a kernel standpoint are something I hope ms standardizes in the windows kernel in some fashion in the next decade. There's no kool-aid in that SSD IO, just a shame SSD as can't be leveraged as full time ramdisks.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Really sorry if I felt you meant that, I don't.

I feel sony did a bangup job. One of the best both it and how power works from a kernel standpoint are something I hope ms standardizes in the windows kernel in some fashion in the next decade. There's no kool-aid in that SSD IO, just a shame SSD as can't be leveraged as full time ramdisks.
no worries man...this conversation is a blessing after all the warring going on around here. You picking up a console at launch?

Jimbobsmells

Nov 17, 2017
The RE8 PS5 woes are a bit baffling given that DMC looks to run really well on PS5 on the same engine, especially since Richard is confirming that the dev environment is essentially the same as on PS4. I'm not sure what could be the cause, but from the trailer footage you can clearly see framerate issues. Not sure what's causing them because the game doesn't look anywhere near as good as other PS5 titles.
Said it before, but maybe it's just bad project management.

AM_LIGHT

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You mean it will look better for series X owners . I suspect series S to be the most popular Xbox though which most people who play on console should have a better experience on PS5 if you compare it to Xbox as a whole.

Jul 10, 2020
I believe that was revealed during/after the exodus, that some of the old mods revealed that cboat was an account they used to disseminate information they got privately from trusted leakers.
You know it's funny if you think about the evolution of leaks, insiders then and now.
CBoat was created to leak Microsoft information in a manner while respecting the information and sources of insiders.

Now? Insiders just put shit on the internet and here. Shinobi, Tom Warren, Zhuge, Klobrille, etc.
Leaking went from "Oh shit I could get fired for leaking this" to "Let's use leaks to generate hype".

It was taboo, and now it's proudly displayed as a manner to generate hype and clicks.

Progress I guess.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
The RE8 thing is an interesting case. Dusk says it was done, ready for PS4/X1 but the push for next gen is currently crippled by PS5 as it is unable to run at 1080p while it's fine at 4K for PC/XX. Completely goes against the ease of development. You can see in all the trailers for PS5 too. Wonder whats going on.

Also I wish this forum didn't do this cboat crap. Instead of Cboat, mods are hiding behind a "mod" edit. I'd rather prefer if we knew which mod is behind whatever it is decided to change titles or edits. That thing in the FFXVI rumor thread pissed me off when a mod edited the title and OP says he didn't request it after repeated inquiries into what the fuck the mod edit means.

Last edited:

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
yeah lol but re watch that boss fight lord the way the smoke comes in and out is insane. lol
Yep. When I noticed I was : "wait, they make his eyes smoke and put fluid animation on that detail, wow, just wow".

Of course it is just the start. We are looking at a launch native 4K / 60 FPS. And no disrespect, this is already madness. And we haven't seen the RT version yet.
But when you think of that power at dynamic resolution and 30 FPS, like the next ND will probably be (and GoW is NG only)...

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
This is just the start.
What, how.
My brain cannot process this, DS looks like playable CG to me, I cannot actually imagine better IQ. I rewatched the gameplay like 20 times in 4k and I am still mind boggled. I am against 70 Euro games but Bluepoint deserves it, fuck it.
Screenshot-2020-09-20-Demon-s-Souls-Remake-Official-Gameplay-PS5-Showcase-You-Tube.png

Screenshot-2020-09-20-Demon-s-Souls-Remake-Official-Gameplay-Showcase-You-Tube.png

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
You mean it will look better for series X owners . I suspect series S to be the most popular Xbox though which most people who play on console should have a better experience on PS5 if you compare it to Xbox as a whole.

It's certain that the best selling SKU will be the Series S.

MS were smart announcing the consoles in the order they did. The messaging would be much different were it the other way around.

With the Series S being the best selling Xbox console the PS5 DE will likely, by the end of the generation, be the best selling PS console.

Those are my predictions anyway.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yep. When I noticed I was : "wait, they make his eyes smoke and put fluid animation on that detail, wow, just wow".

Of course it is just the start. We are looking at a launch native 4K / 60 FPS. And no disrespect, this is already madness. And we haven't seen the RT version yet.
But when you think of that power at dynamic resolution and 30 FPS, like the next ND will probably be (and GoW is NG only)...
ND is going to do some insane shit. and even if you pay attention to the boss and look at their eyes and the fog emitting. the level of detail is insane, then the animation of his body a lot of secondary animations.

FirewalkR

Oct 27, 2017
London
It's my opinion but Demon's shits on everything else graphically and performance wise from what he have seen so far... so I am pretty sure I believe in devs gushing over PS5.

I was stunned when I watched the trailer after the event and saw it was 60fps. I mean, it's expected, since these machines are way way more powerful than the previous generation but you still need to see it.

This is just the start.

Tell us everything you know. 😭

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
What, how.
My brain cannot process this, DS looks like playable CG to me, I cannot actually imagine better IQ. I rewatched the gameplay like 20 times in 4k and I am still mind boggled. I am against 70 Euro games but Bluepoint deserves it, fuck it.
Screenshot-2020-09-20-Demon-s-Souls-Remake-Official-Gameplay-PS5-Showcase-You-Tube.png

Screenshot-2020-09-20-Demon-s-Souls-Remake-Official-Gameplay-Showcase-You-Tube.png
And let's not forget YouTube compression...

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
and I don't see the issue. It's a game in active development that started out as a different project.

I don't doubt Dusk has Capcom sources, but he IS talking about a game in active dev. Also it just doesn't gel with what we've heard from others who have multiple connections in the industry.
I haven't said anything. I just seconded that i saw the framerate stutters.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
ND is going to do some insane shit. and even if you pay attention to the boss and look at their eyes and the fog emitting. the level of detail is insane, then the animation of his body a lot of secondary animations.
Once again, I am so impressed by the attention to detail.
I want a new IP by this studio, they deserved it.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020

Depends on how well the GDK performs or how much more effort devs put in. I think Sony has a huge advantage with their single SDK for PS5.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
MS have said that games will be designed for Series X and scaled down to other platforms.

Yes but it seems when games are made for the Series X first the Series S version gets a major downgrade. Looking at Dirt 5 on Series S looks atrocious. I'm guessing the Series X version will be as good as the PS5 version though. A bit sad because the Series X is more powerful.

Jun 23, 2019

This is the smallest power gap in console history. Anyone thinking that the XSX is going to have any noticeable difference than PS5 is deluding themselves especially if these third party games are aiming for parity between the consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.