• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 10, 2020
From what I have heard if Xbox looses traction (sales/membership) this generation then Microsoft may kill Xbox (possibly spin it off in a standalone company with no support from Microsoft). Fighting Sony is taking a monetary toll on terms of R&D, advertising and acquisitions with little results in the long term. If Xbox is harder for third parties to develop for then this will end up as a nail in the coffin.

Tomacco

Oct 27, 2017
Eh? Build a game on Xbox and have a PC version ready (or vice versa), rather than have it built independently. That seems like the ideal situation for publishers, no need to invest in separate versions, at least not in the traditional sense, which would reduce costs significantly.
Yup, it does make building out Xbox and PC quicker (but regardless of what publishers think, there is extra work needed). Having to worry about specifics of PC is probably where the "it's not as easy" is coming from.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Aren´t the PS5 and Xbox 4 just PCs again? A foregone conclusion is a foregone conclusion.
And who are the idiots on YT who downvote the video?

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
The days of Sony making difficult to develop for, esoteric hardware died when Ken Kutaragi left Sony after the PS3 debacle.

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020
I wonder what the deal with RE Village is then. It still seems weird to me to hear rumors about dev problems on PS5 for a game running on an engine already proven to have really good optimization.

Same rumours from the same person that said it was going to be 600 dollars among other things like making stuff up to "balance" things out.

That person has no credibility and not worth listening to.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From what I have heard if Xbox looses traction (sales/membership) this generation then Microsoft may kill Xbox (possibly spin it off in a standalone company with no support from Microsoft). Fighting Sony is taking a monetary toll on terms of R&D, advertising and acquisitions with little results in the long term. If Xbox is harder for third parties to develop for then this will end up as a nail in the coffin.
Are your sources GAF posts circa 2015?

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Same rumours from the same person that said it was going to be 600 dollars among other things like making stuff up to "balance" things out.

8l4Mz1O.jpg

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I feel the same, something about have little to no load times is going to be amazing.

Yep and 60FPS *most likely* being mainstream on console will be nice. I was always in a pickle because I liked how well Destiny 2 played on PC, but I loved the 4k, HDR support on my Xbox One X. Being able to play 4k/60 on PS5 is going to be amazing. ESO will probably get a cool 4k/60 mode, and a ton of new and backwards compatible games will too. Imagine how fast Destiny 2 will load and how snappy the menu's will be.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington

Some of the stuff Dusk has been wrong about is frustrating, but they absolutely have credibility. They were 100% on point with RE8 and its subject matter, a bunch of the details with RE3 and Resistance before they were revealed, and also were correct about the Shenmue anime. Their word shouldn't be treated as gospel and I'm also not too keen on this report about RE8 struggling on PS5, but Dusk IS worth listening to at least and their history proves they have cred.

and it's apparently running just fine on a machine that has a less than half as powerful gpu.

This is a reductive take; maybe the foregone knowledge of XSS's lower specs means it's easier for Capcom to scale down RE8 much lower (much lower internal resolution, much lower res assets, maybe 30FPS instead of 60FPS) whereas trying to get RE8 steady on PS5 without compromise at native 4k, with 4k assets, and at 60FPS is a taller order.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Some of the stuff Dusk has been wrong about is frustrating, but they absolutely have credibility. They were 100% on point with RE8 and its subject matter, a bunch of the details with RE3 and Resistance before they were revealed, and also were correct about the Shenmue anime. Their word shouldn't be treated as gospel and I'm also not too keen on this report about RE8 struggling on PS5, but Dusk IS worth listening to at least and their history proves they have cred.

This is a reductive take; maybe the foregone knowledge of XSS's lower specs means it's easier for Capcom to scale down RE8 much lower (much lower internal resolution, much lower res assets, maybe 30FPS instead of 60FPS) whereas trying to get RE8 steady on PS5 without compromise at native 4k, with 4k assets, and at 60FPS is a taller order.
They were also right about all the monster hunter info as well. They certainly has some capcom infinite.

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017

Rumors should be taken as such, rumors. Dusk has been correct on a lot of things, so I'm more inclined to believe when he relays stuff he's heard.

And like you said, they could be trying to really just push the RE Engine for Native 4k/60fps/high-res assets or whatever and are having issues trying to deliver what they were intending. Could also be some weird technical problems they're just having with Sony's machine.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I got a gut feeling that their tools are very hard coded to skew to conventional PC gamedev paradigms. In that their engine has a lot of expectations about how memory is managed, how gpu/cpus ramp up & down and throttle etc etc that they optimise for because "its always been that way". Their output for previous consoles and PC end up being beneficiaries of that, and next gen Xboxes will as well because they will effectively just be PCs that continue the paradigms.

Meanwhile PS5 is really easy to work with but changes enough of the existing paradigms that the assumptions their engine is built around actually end up being a hinderance and will probably need a lot of low level changes to get used to. Covid / WFM probably mess with their ability to iterate and get those things sorted.

/complete speculation
Your speculation sounds plausible. Thank you this thoughtful reply.
None of it is verified though. It could also be an issue with the engine. Who knows...

with Cerny at the helm again I highly doubt they made another PS3. What's believable is the tools being half baked given the circumstances.
Yeah Sony's far removed the PS3 disastrous programming language and tools.
oh, no idea about that, maybe it runs poorly on everything else too. it definitely looked rough in the footage 😩
It does look rough, especially when the werewolf is growling.
The "having trouble" part is based on someone's interpretation of what he's probably heard about the optimization process from someone who is familiar with Capcom stuff. And then some other users here interpreted this as a general problem for the PS5.

So looking forward to DF's analysis of upcoming multiplats to see what's what.
Yep, DF is going to be real busy come November.
Capcom is an odd company some of their games run great (RE7 and RE2/3) and others are awful (Every MH ever). RE8 running poorly is interesting as I would have thought it would have run well.
All RE games perform really well on Pro consoles. DMCV is an absolute treat too. Well let's just hope Capcom manages to fix whatever issues they've got, if the rumours are indeed true.
Doesn't that info come from a single twitter account?
It does, afaik.
Maybe they're not. 🤔
Both trailers have performance issues, that makes the rumours somewhat credible.
Totally speculative.
Doesn't Minecraft run at 1080p with RT on Series X?

Dec 4, 2018
I wonder what the deal with RE Village is then. It still seems weird to me to hear rumors about dev problems on PS5 for a game running on an engine already proven to have really good optimization.

Software Engineering (at least as I know it from college) is a complex matter. This is an academic field all on its own.

There is nothing weird about two development teams having different experiences. They can be equally talented or "one more talented than the other" and even then the "more talented team" could have problems the other does not. No two software development projects occur the same even if the same team is writing the exact same game / software again.

On that note, a (relatively) small part could be easy but the other parts could very well not be. There are so many components at play here and each has dedicated people / teams etc.

TLDR, Software development is a complex thing and a few game developers giving ambiguous statements as "development on this console is easy" isn't enough info to deduce another's talent or question the validity of another.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright mate. Ignoring the first part of your hyperbole.

Streaming is their (ms) next big push, 3rd parties have a well positioned platform with Xbox. Suggesting it's anything but a mild inconvenience is a bit of a stretch, which is what your implying by potentially abandoning Xbox versions. Having to understand GDK is not something that's constant, and will eventually be a non-issue after spending some time with it.

Last edited:

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I'm not particularly down on Dusk, I dont disagree that if there are issues it's with trying to hit parity with series X, but I doubt Capcom would s that worried about it hitting sub-native resolution. Heck, DMC V runs at 1080p60 with ray tracing on PS5.

May 10, 2019

source.gif

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not particularly down on Dusk, I dont disagree that if there are issues it's with trying to hit parity with series X, but I doubt Capcom would s that worried about it hitting sub-native resolution. Heck, DMC V runs at 1080p60 with ray tracing on PS5.
to get 60FPS that's gonna be the same across platforms. It's that taxing for raytracing. XSX might render slightly higher. But that's the penalty of ray tracing

Deleted member 78123

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 16, 2020

Hahahahahahaha

mullah88

Oct 28, 2017
There are not videos running on Series X, but there are official info. Bright Memory: Infinite and Chorus are two examples

Totally speculative.

DMC5:Se is a last gen game, not a next gen game. Probably not the same engine version.
Totally speculative? But aren't you assuming the xsx version of dmc will run higher than 1080p 60 with raytracing with no evidence other than total speculation?

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
Where is this tweet by Dusk where he says PS5 will cost $600???

All I found was a tweet where he says it costs $600 to produce and gave a guess for the price (predicting a $499 price)

Am I missing something here? Why is he getting attacked for saying a dev is having trouble with a system?

Suddenly he's an unreliable source?

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
I've seen some very weird takes in this thread.

You mean like this one?

To be fair, after almost 20 years in the business they have had one legitimate success and even that success was as good as their rivals worst performer.

It hasn't exactly been a highly successful venture.

Ehh...this is basically like saying that Burger King should pack it up, since they're clearly not as successful as McDonald's, or telling companies that aren't Samsung or Apple to stay out of the smartphone business. Clearly, they're successful enough that they can feasibly keep going for at least one or two more generations beyond the Series S|X (though probably for as long as consoles are still successful).

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait

He is the only insider I know that correctly leaks information about Resident Evil and other horror games so I disagree

Also, where did he say PS5 is going to cost $600?

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Good and interesting interview. First time I actually hear about the GSDK. It sounds like it is coming in hot (same as Direct Storage) and is likely closely tied up with why we haven't seen Xbox Series X games running so far.

Oct 25, 2017
He is the only insider I know that correctly leaks information about Resident Evil and other horror games so I disagree

Also, where did he say PS5 is going to cost $600?
"I did not hear 60000 yen specifically was the cost of production, I said the price range in Japan would be 60000-70000 yen from what I heard."

He was dead wrong on everything wrt pricing.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
I had no idea about the GSDK. Seems like it will ultimately bring about some great benefits for both Xbox and PC, but it has some maturing to do.

"I did not hear 60000 yen specifically was the cost of production, I said the price range in Japan would be 60000-70000 yen from what I heard."

He was dead wrong on everything wrt pricing.

Cost of production could be that high. We don't know for certain how much it is or how much Sony is losing per unit.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Why are people getting offended that developers might like a certain machine over another at this current time?

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
It's no surprise! Optimizing games for the PS4/XBONE was a hassle, requiring copy and pasting of assets to allow for quicker loading and transitions between set pieces. Next-gen hardware will definitely smooth out development.

NavyPharaoh

Oct 27, 2017
Aurther Gies circa 2015 othersite.

Man, remember when he was SURE that Microsoft was selling Xbox to Amazon.

Or wait.. Was that famousmortimer?

arthur gies was the one selling the "secret sauce" that he couldn't tell us about but believe him it's coming! Many "industry" people lost credibility during that time.

anyone else Remember Cboat? Or was it Cbaot? No one wanted to believe his leaks and when they came true, oh the meltdowns. Message boards will never be that entertaining again. What a time that was.

Feb 23, 2019
Where is this tweet by Dusk where he says PS5 will cost $600???

All I found was a tweet where he says it costs $600 to produce and gave a guess for the price (predicting a $499 price)

Am I missing something here? Why is he getting attacked for saying a dev is having trouble with a system?

Suddenly he's an unreliable source?

He is getting attacked because he used one example of a game that he has heard is having difficulties on the PS5 and extrapolated that into a PS5 issue in general and that we should be seeing a much larger difference on XSX vs PS5 multiplat games...This doesn't line up with reality, no matter how bad of shape RE8 is in on PS5.

The RE8 PS5 woes are a bit baffling given that DMC looks to run really well on PS5 on the same engine, especially since Richard is confirming that the dev environment is essentially the same as on PS4. I'm not sure what could be the cause, but from the trailer footage you can clearly see framerate issues. Not sure what's causing them because the game doesn't look anywhere near as good as other PS5 titles.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
He is getting attacked because he used one example of a game that he has heard is having difficulties on the PS5 and extrapolated that into a PS5 issue in general and that we should be seeing a much larger difference on XSX vs PS5 multiplat games...This doesn't line up with reality, no matter how bad of shape RE8 is in on PS5.

The RE8 PS5 woes are a bit baffling given that DMC looks to run really well on PS5 on the same engine, especially since Richard is confirming that the dev environment is essentially the same as on PS4. I'm not sure what could be the cause, but from the trailer footage you can clearly see framerate issues. Not sure what's causing them because the game doesn't look anywhere near as good as other PS5 titles.
Yeah point more to issues with their project than any thing with the hardware. It def happens.

dantx

Aug 14, 2020
Usa
User Banned (3 Days) - Hostility to other members
I can't believe anything that Dusk Gollen says about Playstation.
he always lies nowadays.

The RE8 thing is a crime, what he said became news everywhere literally going against all the comments we have from actual developers who used the ps5 saying how great it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.