• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seems like Crytek engineer Ali Salehi was right all along then

www.resetera.com

Crytek engineer: PS5 better console, easier to reach peak performance

So Ali Salehi, a rendering engineer from Crytek, did an interview where he talked about PS5 and XSX: Translation using Microsoft's translation service: https://www.translatetheweb.com/?from=fa&to=en&dl=de&ref=trb&a=https%3A%2F%2Fvigiato.net%2Fp%2F85342 Translation using Google's translation...

Great to hear
Ha yes smart bump

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
This + Unreal Engine 5 should mean a pretty smooth generation.

I'm sure the Shenmue anime got a ton of playtesters, sure.
Yeah, dude got right one anime. He must know everything about development. As I said, he got game info from testers, not devs. This DF report is just one of the reasons to believe that.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Capcom raytracing video posted 2 days ago where they mention rayttacing patch details for both xsx and ps5 and leave out xss from the mentioned patch hinting that the rayttacing might skip xss or be lower resolution . Both ps5 and xsx are identical however xsx raytracing patch will come later as they r still trying to work it out .

youtu.be

Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition - Ray Tracing Overview

The world of #DevilMayCry 5 Special Edition is brought to life with the latest Ray Tracing technology, powered by PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X. #DMC5 😈 h...

www.hardwaretimes.com

DMC 5 SE Coming to PS5|XSX w/ Ray-Tracing at 4K 30 FPS: RT Reflections on Consoles Seem Quite Inferior to RTX on PC | Hardware Times

Capcom just announced the Special Edition of Devil May Cry 5, and like many other remasters/remakes announced recently, it’ll feature ray-tracing. The game will boast ray-traced reflections, global illumination and lighting. The above screenshot shows a comparison of the reflections with...

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
Cerny is a treasure for Sony, industry leading system design architect with a lot of game dev experience. Cerny has touched more games than people realize.

Xpider_MX

Aug 13, 2020
México
Capcom raytracing video posted 2 days ago where they mention rayttacing patch details for both xsx and ps5 and leave out xss from the mentioned patch hinting that the rayttacing might skip xss or be lower resolution . Both ps5 and xsx are identical however xsx raytracing patch will come later as they r still trying to work it out .

youtu.be

Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition - Ray Tracing Overview

The world of #DevilMayCry 5 Special Edition is brought to life with the latest Ray Tracing technology, powered by PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X. #DMC5 😈 h...

www.hardwaretimes.com

DMC 5 SE Coming to PS5|XSX w/ Ray-Tracing at 4K 30 FPS: RT Reflections on Consoles Seem Quite Inferior to RTX on PC | Hardware Times

Capcom just announced the Special Edition of Devil May Cry 5, and like many other remasters/remakes announced recently, it’ll feature ray-tracing. The game will boast ray-traced reflections, global illumination and lighting. The above screenshot shows a comparison of the reflections with...

An official link where Capcom said resolution and framerate for RT Xbox Series X version

Just like the PS5 official info from Playstation blog.

Deleted member 30987

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I wonder how, and why, MS being truly at forefront of all things software can not have absolute and utter advantage in this area. I don't expect them to have best HW engineers nor manufacturing experts, but somethhing like SDKs - no idea. They've reinvented BC in its current form and are years ahead, but it seems that HW they produce could be easier to develop for.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
There are not videos running on Series X, but there are official info. Bright Memory: Infinite and Chorus are two examples

Totally speculative.

DMC5:Se is a last gen game, not a next gen game. Probably not the same engine version.

Why is XSX not getting the ray tracing treatment as PS5 at launch? Please explain. Oh yeah, and try not to speculate.... C'mon, there's hyperbole, then there is reasonable speculation. I feel I'm making a reasonable take here. If I am not, offer some feedback.

DMC5:SE is introducing the definitive next-gen feature (ray tracing). If the version of RE engine for DMC5:SE is as antiquated and incapable as you are implying, it would not be capable of running ray tracing in the first place, IMO.

Oct 25, 2017
So we'll just be getting upgraded PS4 games then?

giphy.gif

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
An official link where Capcom said resolution and framerate for RT Xbox Series X version

Just like the PS5 official info from Playstation blog.
U should have done better research before stating those statement but here from official capcom page :

www.devilmaycry.com

Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition | CAPCOM

Flashier visuals, crazier action. Devil May Cry 5 is back, now upgraded for next-generation consoles! Includes the fan-favorite Vergil as a playable character!

And go watch the video from technical director at capcom .he makes it very clear

jrb

Nov 9, 2017
We've been hearing the same about PS5 for a long time, devs just seem to love it.

And I'm sure that after some period of adaptation, Xbox would be also good for devs.

Great generation ahead of us.

Xpider_MX

Aug 13, 2020
México
U should have done better research before stating those statement but here from official capcom page :

www.devilmaycry.com

Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition | CAPCOM

Flashier visuals, crazier action. Devil May Cry 5 is back, now upgraded for next-generation consoles! Includes the fan-favorite Vergil as a playable character!

And go watch the video from technical director at capcom .he makes it very clear

I just requested official info, thats all. Thanks for the link.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
If you are making a game for PS5 (or even Switch) you aren't going to design a game around a hardware feature that only one machine has - this is what I mean. In lots of ways that's why first party titles are the showcases as the don't need to worry about the other console or API.
I see, makes sense.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
I wonder how, and why, MS being truly at forefront of all things software can not have absolute and utter advantage in this area. I don't expect them to have best HW engineers nor manufacturing experts, but somethhing like SDKs - no idea. They've reinvented BC in its current form and are years ahead, but it seems that HW they produce could be easier to develop for.
They've moved from an Xbox specific SDK to an Xbox & PC SDK which will make development for Series X, Series S, One and PC much faster. But it's literally hot off the press and incorporates some pretty brand new things such as SFS which will be essential in making the Series S sing.
Hardly surprising to see the PS5 dev kit, which is a modified version of the PS4 SDK and not really doing anything radical being praised whilst some devs are experiencing issues with a brand new Xbox SDK which is likely to have some bugs in it at this stage.

By next year things will be solid in that space imo.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Echoes what we've been reading for a while now. If it allows developers to make good games in a timely manner, nothing but a win-win.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I just requested official info, thats all. Thanks for the link.
No problem. Its just their raytracing solution is demanding on both consoles. they r still trying to get the raytrscing ready for xsx and as such will come later once its ready . Like halo infinite was supposed to do with raytracing coming at a later date .

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
PS5 is just gonna kill it next gen. I haven't been this excited for a gen in a very long time.

Dec 16, 2017
There are several Xbox Series X games using RT and running at 4k and 60fps. Using RT doesn't looks like an issue on Series X
Which games have you seen? I'm planning on trading my X for the Series X, but I haven't seen anything shown off. Then you add in headlines like this.

www.thegamer.com

Halo: Infinite Will Receive Free Ray Tracing Update After Launch

A ray tracing update will come to Halo: Infinite soon after launch, at no cost to players.

I'm sure RT will work, but Sony has shown off a lot more examples of RT in action including 4k, 60FPS with RT at launch.

youtu.be

Demon's Souls - Official 4K 60FPS Gameplay Trailer

The original Souls game, Demon's Souls, looks better than ever on PlayStation 5. Check out this all-new gameplay running at 4k 60FPS.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
It's good to hear about PS5 being easy to develop for, can't go through the video but I wonder if devs relayed anything about the variable clocks and how devs adjusted for it, how it affects performance. Would be interesting. Seems if PS5 is easy to dev for that this variable was mitigated to not be an issue but whether that had any performance impact is really not mentioned in general by anyone which I thought would be talked about as console got closer to launch.

Yeah this is interesting because some devs opted to lock the GPU at 2.23GHz. So what clock speed did they rely on for the CPU? I know the retail units will be able to switch instantly between the two but its interesting to see what will eventually come out of this.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
I feel things will be a lot closer between PS5 and series X for 3rd party games than people imagine. I mean current gen 900p Vs 1080p might have been a noticeable difference to some people ( I didn't think it was significant to be honest ) . Would people really notice a significant difference between say 1800p Vs 4K really . 1440p and above is more than fine for me personally.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
This is good, very good for Sony. I expect that some small and medium sized studios will prioritize the PS5 just because of their familiarity with the tools. It will also explain Sony own studios commitment to increase their output compared to this current generation...

Last edited:

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Listen, as long as development is good for both consoles and games are flowing I'd say we are in for a ride. The first half of this current gen was rough.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
That's good to hear. It would've been disappointing otherwise considering Cerny's gdc presentation.

Even if Sony has made development very easy I still doubt even some cross platform games will look as good as Xbox series x.

Joo

May 25, 2018
Yes we do... they are the same as current gen tools.
All I'm saying is that knowing what kind of dev tools a certain console uses is probably pretty different to actually using them, and especially using them with the new consoles.

I'm not saying that what DF has heard is the absolute truth every time, but it's just silly to disregard this with a simple statement like that, when in the end we have very, very limited knowledge to actually argue against what they've heard from devs.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mis-leading title is misleading.

Sounds like MS has forced in PC support when you develop for the Xbox, meaning more to deal with.
Eh? Build a game on Xbox and have a PC version ready (or vice versa), rather than have it built independently. That seems like the ideal situation for publishers, no need to invest in separate versions, at least not in the traditional sense, which would reduce costs significantly.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Gamers with information about game development are not as credible as game developers with knowledge about game development, and I wish game discourse would stop pretending the two are of equal validity.

Freddie13

Nov 2, 2017
Of course developing for XBSX is much more difficult....a developer has so much more additional power to master: it's like driving F1 cars vs street racing....::/

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018
Europe
This is just... not how things work folks.
Yes it is... both machines are basically upgraded versions of their previous machines. All the dev tools and SDKs are virtually the same (with some extra bells and whistles).

XSX for example is DX and VS.

This "easier" argument held water a few gens ago... not anymore.

Anyway... looks like we are running in circles here. Case closed for me.

Freddie13

Nov 2, 2017
Cerny is a treasure for Sony, industry leading system design architect with a lot of game dev experience. Cerny has touched more games than people realize.
To show proper appreciation: : Cerny is a national treasure, world leading system design architect with supreme game dev experience. Cerny has touched more souls than people realize🤣🤣🤣

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
Yes it is... both machines are basically upgraded versions of their previous machines. All the dev tools and SDKs are virtually the same (with some extra bells and whistles).

XSX for example is DX and VS.

This "easier" argument held water a few gens ago... not anymore.

Anyway... looks like we are running in circles here. Case closed for me.
you know you are responding to an actual console developer, right?

General_Frags

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
User Warned - Platform Warring
From what I have heard if Xbox looses traction (sales/membership) this generation then Microsoft may kill Xbox (possibly spin it off in a standalone company with no support from Microsoft). Fighting Sony is taking a monetary toll on terms of R&D, advertising and acquisitions with little results in the long term. If Xbox is harder for third parties to develop for then this will end up as a nail in the coffin.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From what I have heard if Xbox looses traction (sales/membership) this generation then Microsoft may kill Xbox (possibly spin it off in a standalone company with no support from Microsoft). Fighting Sony is taking a monetary toll on terms of R&D, advertising and acquisitions with little results in the long term. If Xbox is harder for third parties to develop for then this will end up as a nail in the coffin.

'From what I've heard' is so vague that you may as well say that your Uncle works at Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.