• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomacco

Oct 27, 2017
Mis-leading title is misleading.

Sounds like MS has forced in PC support when you develop for the Xbox, meaning more to deal with.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Seems to be just a matter of the fact that they changed the whole development kit on Xbox so the tools and what not wouldn't transfer over but the PS5 one is basically just an evolution of PS4. Seems to be a relatively small gripe to me that will be fixed within a couple of years, but I am also not a game developer nor do I know any.

I wonder what the advantages are of the new GDK though other than that it helps deploy the code to the two Xbox systems and PC which would cause MS to switch to that. Or what the disadvantages are that would be angering developers at this stage...
Probably also facilitates that growth in the xcloud market/version too?

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
Even with the title corrected, people are dumb to take this as some contrary evidence to anything Dusk Golem said. A specific studio having a specific undetermined hiccup optimizing their engine doesn't mean the development kit is difficult to use

Oct 27, 2017
This is great for developers. I wonder why Capcom is having trouble with RE8 on PS5.
I got a gut feeling that their tools are very hard coded to skew to conventional PC gamedev paradigms. In that their engine has a lot of expectations about how memory is managed, how gpu/cpus ramp up & down and throttle etc etc that they optimise for because "its always been that way". Their output for previous consoles and PC end up being beneficiaries of that, and next gen Xboxes will as well because they will effectively just be PCs that continue the paradigms.

Meanwhile PS5 is really easy to work with but changes enough of the existing paradigms that the assumptions their engine is built around actually end up being a hinderance and will probably need a lot of low level changes to get used to. Covid / WFM probably mess with their ability to iterate and get those things sorted.

/complete speculation

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
What a dogshit thread title, personally the move to GDK is positive. They'll figure it out and it'll probably benefit both the Xbox and the PC.

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
OP should be banned from making threads. It doesn't take a genius to know he tried something here and got caught.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These past two pages are a fucking shit show, between people going at again with the RE8 rumor as it if was something, people saying that Rich must have a hard time saying that...

Fucking hell, what a hell these two months will be. It's disgusting.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
Why wouldn't it be just as easy for xbox? They use the same exact architecture.
If you know how to make a PS4 game you know how to make a PS5 game. - New to this gen thing.
If you've been using the old Xbox Tools up till today you will need to learn the newer tools. - Normal every gen thing
Some devs have already been on the newer tools so it doesn't matter there.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
thatsnoneofmy.jpg
Ugh, what does this mean

ThiefofDreams

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, did you go through the proper channels to post a positive ps5 thread? Also this has been reported a few times before, as well.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Sounds like it pertains to GDK by a large margin. A new more generalized development kit to use for development and optimization across S, X and PC as opposed to PS5 Devkit that only has a singular locked spec.

Furthermore, I recall that Sony got out ahead of MS with their (alpha ver.) devkits which allowed more developers to get accustomed to it ahead of inevitable follow up revisions courtesy of dev feedback and Sony's internal mandate with SDK.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this another PS3 Cell situation? Stronger console on paper but harder to get the most out of it?

No. It's a regular, modern PC cpu (the exact same cpu that the ps5 has!) and I believe the graphics code is dx12 -- which is harder than many other graphics apis (if you're familiar with vulkan, its a similar kind of thing) but is already widely used.

Any additional issues like bad sdk design may make development slower or games worse, but its not at all comparable to using an exotic architecture that requires software unlike other platforms.

bing

Banned
Apr 27, 2020
nowhere, canada
Its not that its bad, its different.

Great to hear developing on PS5 is so easy!

Gonna see a lot less games on Xbox due to having to develop for Series S AND learn a new dev process, I think, unfortunately.
?
Also, makes sense why Infinite was going to launch without raytracing and DMCVSE doesnt havent RT on XSX.

Yikes MS.
??

Thread is clearly framed for console warring by OP.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Why wouldn't it be just as easy for xbox? They use the same exact architecture.
If you read the quotes, or watched the video segments, Richard explains that Microsoft changed their development kit to a generalised one for PC, XboxOne , Xbox Series called the "GDK", from what they were using before the "XDK".

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
This is great for developers. I wonder why Capcom is having trouble with RE8 on PS5.

None of it is verified though. It could also be an issue with the engine. Who knows...

with Cerny at the helm again I highly doubt they made another PS3. What's believable is the tools being half baked given the circumstances.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
So how come rumors say PS5 struggles with Resident Evil Village?
It's a multivariate issue. Every developer is going to be different. We only know of the ones Richard to spoke. In terms of online hot takes, we want black and white, true or false. World is rarely that.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
Devs would target Xbox Series S then scale it up for X, that would be the easiest way.
Is that how people ever develop games on PC? The reason the Xbox is harder to develop for this time is because the XDK is brand new, and is designed for PC/Xbox both. This will actually be positive for developers in the long run, as they won't really need to "port" for PC at all.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
If true then how come capcom.......joke

It's the same every generation, one machine is always more difficult to develop for. Doesn't mean you'll get a worse experience, just the devs need to put a bit more effort in to get the best out of that machine.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is regarding the development environment. PS4 -> PS5 sounds like the same dev kit. Whereas Xbox has transitioned from the XDK to the GDK, which is a new environment for building to Xbox One, Xbox Series, and PC.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
Guess they didn't talked to RE 8 team.
What we saw from RE8 during Sony's showcases clearly had some huge framerate issues.
So why are re8 developers struggling 🤔

Yes lets take every rumor as facts....
Even if they have trouble it may have nothing to do with the ps5 architecture.

AGN

Alt Account
Banned
May 13, 2020
This is interesting. I'm curious if it will mean anything in the end. I'm worried devs won't put forth the extra effort to push the X to it's max.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
? huh

If you have better explanations please feel free.

Also the rest is speculation... you know... the point of discussion forums?

You're using this information to make it seem like the S is in another generation.

EDIT- Also that something being different automatically means the worst. The difference is the PS5 is closer to whast devs have using for the last 8 or so years with PS4 and the Xbox updated theirs to include PC. You'd expect there to be a difference in the learning curve.

Oct 28, 2017
Even with the title corrected, people are dumb to take this as some contrary evidence to anything Dusk Golem said. A specific studio having a specific undetermined hiccup optimizing their engine doesn't mean the development kit is difficult to use

Isn't that the guy that said a new silent hill is real? Ppl still believe what he says?

Timlot

Banned
Nov 27, 2019
User banned (2 weeks): platform warring, trolling. Accumulated infractions for the same thing over a relatively low post count.
Hmm, so games are being developed for PS4 then scaled up to PS5. Interesting.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its not that its bad, its different.

Great to hear developing on PS5 is so easy!

Purely speculation: Gonna see a lot less games on Xbox due to having to develop for Series S AND learn a new dev process, I think, unfortunately.

Edit: Clarified that im clearly speculating
Also, makes sense why Infinite was going to launch without raytracing and DMCVSE doesnt havent RT on XSX.

Yikes MS.

Edit: Missed the video saying DMC will have RT'ing, good to know

Interesting approach, diving straight into a thread reading only the title and making multiple widely incorrect assumptions.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I mean Sony's messaging has been weird to say the least but I had no reason to doubt Cerny.
playstation-5-ps5.png

I wonder what changes were made to allow for this.

Both machines are x86, so I'm assuming the even quicker time to triangle is made possible by better software tools available for developers?

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you read the quotes, or watched the video segments, Richard explains that Microsoft changed their development kit to a generalised one for PC, XboxOne , Xbox Series called the "GDK", from what they were using before the "XDK".
That makes sense then. I'm currently at work so I went by the title. I imagine the development will even out within a year at least so thats good.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
what was previously the XDK which was specific for the Xbox to the GDK which is a more general environment for PC and for Xbox and even Xbox one is encompassed by the GDK

This for me is what needs to stand the test of time. Will we be able to see the full power of the XSX with games being developed like this! What will be the min spec for which games are designed? Or MSFT has figured out a way for the games to be developed for XSX first then scaled easily to min spec?

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't that the guy that said a new silent hill is real? Ppl still believe what he says?
i think a lot of his general claims are pretty sus, but he also leaked all of the details of 8's settings and plot months before it was shown, and the new switch monhun weeks early, so he probably knows what he's talking about re: capcom

(whether or not he knows how to interpret bits of info he finds about development is another thing though)

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa

Yeah also the guy who completely nailed the games and titles of the Monster Hunter games that were just announced. And a bunch of other things.

Silent Hill not being a game announced so far doesn't mean there isn't some Silent Hill game that was or still is in development.

Nothing he said is that particularly worrying or headline grabbing. There are just some sword bearing warriors who took it as a slight towards their honor. He literally said in the same tweet that he expects them to iron it out before release.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
This is interesting. I'm curious if it will mean anything in the end. I'm worried devs won't put forth the extra effort to push the X to it's max.
Both machines should make life easy on devs. I doubt this will lead to major differences between systems.

I'm expecting games to look great on both with a res advantage on XSX.

Status
Not open for further replies.