• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
I'm into very few of the games DF Retro covers but the feverish obsession and attention to detail with which John lavishes niche technical subjects is inspiring and I will watch all of them as long as he keeps making 'em.

Co-sign. John has a brilliant talent for drawing you into his passions with a combination of articulate intelligence and genuine, positive enthusiasm.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
The only thing I think's absent from the video is any mention of SEGA Classics Collection, which packaged several PS2 3D AGES releases, including Flat Out, into a NA/EU release. That's how I've played V.R. in the past, but it's awesome that (color grading aside) we have a great, arcade-perfect version from M2 that's portable.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
ok...i hope this is just the beginning of greater things like Daytona USA, Sega Rally, Virtua Fighter 2 (& 3 & 4 & 5) and other great sega arcade classics.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
John, you could've mentioned Saturn emulation as an option for high-res graphics, too, not only the PS2 version. I know it's not your favorite option to play the game but in high-res it looks quite nice, I think.
One of the things I took from the video is how fast tech evolved in the 90's. HavinG Virtua Racing and Daytona USA in a difference of one year is absolutely crazy, even more that developers did use the hardware in such a way is incredible to me. Of course Model 2 hardware was way better than Model 1 but you also have to be able to use the hardware you are given.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hope the Switch version gets the color issues fixed. Looking fantastic otherwise.

The 32X port was so great back in the day.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Great video as always.

Hoping this comes to the US soon. I love playing the 32X version every now and then. Had it since around release, I think. Probably my favorite game for it.
I also have the Saturn version, but didn't play it all that much until a few months ago when I started giving it more of a chance. Made it pretty far into the Grand Prix mode, I think.
Been a long time since I last played the arcade version.

I've thought about eventually getting the Genesis and PlayStation 2 versions. Maybe someday. I'll definitely get the Switch version.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I actually like the new colors but it would be nice to get a "classic" mode for that too.

This turned out so well I really do hope M2 gives at least VF1 and Wing War the same 1080p/60fps/online treatment. Provided someone saved the source code.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Unlike Outrun i have no nostalgia for Virtua Racing but i've to say its new look is soo clean, it looks a well done modern take on low poly 3D graphics.

Considering the local splitscreen and online multiplayer options, this is a must have for anyone who wants an affordable good racing game on the Switch.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
It's making me wish I could plug a steering wheel into the Switch now.

Are they using a remix of the Mega CD BIOS music for the main menu?
jmbBwut.png

Is it compatible?
It's not, but you can use the official Nintendo Racing Wheel for Mario Kart 8.
Virtua Racing has Motion Steering. Sega Ages Out Run too.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
It looks so washed out, how did M2 miss that? looks like those old handheld games where they dialled the contrast up to work around not having a lit screen.
I think it's a bug in coloring. The red car especially is only that pink hue by default. If you change your car color and then go back to red, it's the correct color.

Not sure if they will patch anything. I don't kid the colors as it looks more modern to me with how bright it is.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Wow. Looks great. Can't wait for the US release. Any chance of Virtua Fighter getting released on switch?
That would be great. I also want Daytona released. I have it on 360, but switch would be great.

I want all of degas model 1 and 2 games released.

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
This one of the best videos that were posted this year on DF. Congratulations! Now I want to create a JP account and buy the game on the eShop.

By the way, talking about racing games, would you gave any possibility Dark1x to interview Sh'inen in the foreseeing future? I remember your Fast RMX video and in hindsight, it still is one of the best looking games on the console imo. It would be interesting to hear what those guys have to say about the hardware, but also about their approach to game design.

Feb 15, 2018
Excellent video as always DF Retro.

Back then I wondered if a 486 could've handled VR better than the arcade hardware. PC had Microprose's F1 Grand Prix, which wasnt as fast as VR (simulator vs arcade), but ran decently on a fast 386.

I played this for about 2 years on my Amiga. Creating massive pile ups before watching the replay over and over was about all i did at one point in the early 90's.....

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Dark1x you seem to bring out the inner child in me with these videos. You've got me nostalgic for something I haven't played.

Amazing job as always my brother

mclem

Oct 25, 2017

Back then I wondered if a 486 could've handled VR better than the arcade hardware. PC had Microprose's F1 Grand Prix, which wasnt as fast as VR (simulator vs arcade), but ran decently on a fast 386.

It's been a long time since I looked at F1GP, but I seem to recall most tracks having very sparse low-poly decoration - I don't think there's anything that has detail comparable to the bridges, for instance. It's really hard to be sure, though, I'd be quite interested to see comparisons of poly counts of the tracks - and whether F1GP did any view-distance culling like arcade VR did. And now I'm trying to recall just what a pitstop looked like in F1GP!

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Looks like gamma is raised quite a bit on Switch. Intentional? Maybe to allow for better outdoor portable play?

It reminds me of "super-bright" mode on my Samsung. When I'm out in the sun, the phone will drastically up the gamma curve

Last edited:

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Oh man, one of my favorite games as a kid. I still have my 32X copy and my Genesis/32X.

Hearing the remade 32X music kicked me right in the nostalgia.

Oct 29, 2017

Virtua Racing on the GBA (Cancelled prototype) would probably have been pretty close to what you could've expected from a 486 PC at the time...

It's actually fairly close to the arcade version (and better looking/running than the 32X version!), despite being unfinished!

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Another fantastic episode, as always. DF Retro continues to be easily my favorite show online.

This version of Virtua Racing is beyond tremendous. Such a bummer that it is a Nintendo Switch exclusive though, I DESPERATELY wanted to see this game with the 3D maxed on Nintendo 3DS.

SuperRaddy

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Tried playing some online games of this and the input lag there is terrible (over 1 second) i don't have a bad connection either - but i guess there are no dedicated servers and its probably p2p (and i am on the other side of the world to Japan), so might make sense :p

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Watched this episode and immediately went to North American eShop knowing nothing about the release date of this and hoping to buy it.

Sorely disappointed.

I forgot the password to my Japanese account, too. T_T

Can't wait for North American release. Unless I can switch my account region and use my coins to buy the Japanese version...? Not that I was intending to get it via my coins solely, just wondering if that's an option. XD

Looks really, really good.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
I enjoy John's narration more then the actual game, it just looks so bland and old.

Disagree. Not about John's analysis which is as sublime as ever, but to me the game still looks fantastic. Sega did an amazing job transferring their siganture aesthetic to 3D with Virtua Racing. I still think it holds up to this day. Oh and it plays beautifully too.
I don't own a Switch but this game alone makes me seriously consider buying one

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Tried playing some online games of this and the input lag there is terrible (over 1 second) i don't have a bad connection either - but i guess there are no dedicated servers and its probably p2p (and i am on the other side of the world to Japan), so might make sense :p
Yeah, I also got paired with Japanese players.
Wanna play a few races online?

Feb 10, 2018
Disagree. Not about John's analysis which is as sublime as ever, but to me the game still looks fantastic. Sega did an amazing job transferring their siganture aesthetic to 3D with Virtua Racing. I still think it holds up to this day. Oh and it plays beautifully too.
I don't own a Switch but this game alone makes me seriously consider buying one

I agree with what you say, it's more a personal thing, I played a lot of Similer racers in the snes/N64 days, I don't want to return back to that time.
It's just me.

ronpontelle

Oct 27, 2017
Looks amazing, shame there's no easy way to buy on the Japanese eshop without paying through the nose for credit.

I'd get Cuphead on there too, as it's a few quid cheaper than UK.

Kinn

Oct 28, 2017
Another smashing great video. I love these. Is there a track reversed mirrored options in this?

Surely VF1 has to be next? (with optional remix textures).

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Surely VF1 has to be next? (with optional remix textures).
I'd bet on VF1 but given VR doesn't include any assets from later versions I wouldn't expect anything outside the Model 1 original. So no alternate cameras (32X), Remix textures (STV/Saturn) or extra moves/characters (PS2).

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How hard is it to buy stuff from the Japanese eShop? I'm *trying* to hold out til the western release buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut..........................

Edit: I mean in terms of payment methods. I already created a Japanese account to download demos.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Virtua Racing on the GBA (Cancelled prototype) would probably have been pretty close to what you could've expected from a 486 PC at the time...

It's actually fairly close to the arcade version (and better looking/running than the 32X version!), despite being unfinished!

I remember a similar game on GBA with 3D flat colored polygons. Can't remember the name though.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lego Drome Racers. And it was awesome.
You are right!!

To be fair, GBA had a fair share of good racers, beside this. V-Rally, Stunt Man, a couple of mode 7 based racing games with real cars, even a Sega Rally port, even though not the best port (beside the glorious Saturn port, Sega Rally doesn't have a happy story on consoles)

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
Now I want to create a JP account and buy the game on the eShop.

On one hand, I would love to start playing VR this weekend. On the other hand...

Wearing my business-side hat, this practice could hurt Sega's business for their territory offices. More specifically, sales that would have normally been recognized as SOA / SOE sales will be accrued as Japan sales.

If the practice becomes mainstream and western region sales suffer as a result, that could lead to Sega skipping release entirely for certain games and/or platform (in this case the Switch version), or worse, scaling back their operations in those 'underperforming' markets. That would be terrible.

Of course, none of this would have been an issue if the game sim-shipped across all territories.

Perhaps it's a logistical issue (if they're doing cartridge), additional localization/culturalization work needed for the Western markets, or Nintendo certification that's adding to the delay. I wouldn't know.

As for me, I'm going to be patient and wait for the eventual U.S. release.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
Okay I want to buy this from the Japanese eshop but it's been a royal pain in the ass trying to get it to accept my payment. Can anyone help a dude out?! I literally just want a 10.00 eshop credit to purchase the game. Tried Play-Asia but of course they are sold out.