• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I loved that game in the arcades. Our local arcade had a 4P linked system, and the rubber banding was so outrageous I had worked out just how big a gap you could allow and still catch the leader. As the countdown was on, I got out of the seat and chatted to people while my car idled on the starting line, giving them about 3/4 of a lap head start. Then I sat down and played a flawless race, aided by the rubber banding, took the lead on the final corner and got first place. One of the other guys was super pissed and it nearly started a fight, lol.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw this pop up in my feed, this is so good! Terrific work so far as always John!

Gunship

Oct 28, 2017
This is the game that's tipped me over the edge of Switch ownership. Bought one today solely on the back of Virtua Racing.

fargodog

Banned
Feb 24, 2019
I'm into very few of the games DF Retro covers but the feverish obsession and attention to detail with which John lavishes niche technical subjects is inspiring and I will watch all of them as long as he keeps making 'em.

nu_faust

Oct 27, 2017
Smt
I really didn't think I need this until seeing the video, keep up the good work John & the rest of DF crew,love you guys. One minor thing though I'm sure this has been mentioned before but when you but the original & the new version side by side the original aesthetic suffers from not having any scanlines and doesn't exactly give ppl who never played or seen the original the true sense of how the game really looked when it came out.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I loved that game in the arcades. Our local arcade had a 4P linked system, and the rubber banding was so outrageous I had worked out just how big a gap you could allow and still catch the leader. As the countdown was on, I got out of the seat and chatted to people while my car idled on the starting line, giving them about 3/4 of a lap head start. Then I sat down and played a flawless race, aided by the rubber banding, took the lead on the final corner and got first place. One of the other guys was super pissed and it nearly started a fight, lol.
Daytona had a button code that disabled this in the arcade. Did VR have anything equivalent?

I really didn't think I need this until seeing the video, keep up the good work John & the rest of DF crew,love you guys. One minor thing though I'm sure this has been mentioned before but when you but the original & the new version side by side the original aesthetic suffers from not having any scanlines and doesn't exactly give ppl who never played or seen the original the true sense of how the game really looked when it came out.
1) Scanlines aren't as pronounced on a mid-res (384p) arcade monitor as they are for 240p content.
2) Youtube compression would crush the detail with scanlines in play unless sufficiently zoomed in.
3) Adding a filter isn't appropriate for direct-capture footage.

Last edited:

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Hoping for a US release on Switch soon, don't wanna deal with the hassle of buying digital stuff from a different region, cmon SEGA.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
60fps really makes this shine. Hopefully Sega doesn't take too long in bringing this over. I'd like to have all my Sega Ages titles tied to my US account.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah but you really can't do scanlines on YouTube. Looks awful unless you get perfect scaling. You're right, though.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
One of my most beloved games ever, I will always remember the moment I saw the arcade cabinet for the first time, it seemed like a game from the future.
I also loved the mega drive version and always wanted to try the 32x version but never could.
I'll be getting this for switch as soon as it releases in Europe although if I lose my patience I might cave in and get the Japanese version.

Great job, John!

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did not even know this port existed until I saw this thread -- wow, it looks incredibly good!

Has anyone gone back and remastered any of the other early polygonal arcade games? Like Hard Drivin', STUN Runner, Race Drivin, etc?

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
It's beautiful. That low-poly aesthetic applied to racing games was and still is glorious.

Wow @ the PS2 version, though.

ninjabreadman

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
It looks so washed out, how did M2 miss that? looks like those old handheld games where they dialled the contrast up to work around not having a lit screen.

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't aware this was coming but now I'm super excited to get it! Thank you, John! I really enjoyed this video. Your stuff is always top-tier!

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Great episode, as always.

It really looks amazingly sharp on Switch. That color change is really jarring to me though. I really hope this gets a fix somewhere down the line.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
It's making me wish I could plug a steering wheel into the Switch now.

Are they using a remix of the Mega CD BIOS music for the main menu?

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
It's making me wish I could plug a steering wheel into the Switch now.

jmbBwut.png

Is it compatible?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What a great video.

For me though, the PS2 version clearly looks the best. It has just about the perfect upgrades for that low-fi aesthetic.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
A bit of a hot take, but I really like how the first 3 versions look (yes, that includes the MD/32X ports) and I'm not that much of a fan of how the AGES version looks - even leaving aside the color changes. It just doesn't work for me with high resolution and not-as-visible checkerboard shadows.
I hope this would get a release on other platforms, because I'd love to be able to launch it in low res, but still have the 60 FPS (I assume HFR is out of the question, since even 60 comes with some caveats) and the draw distance.

I actually don't know why it's the Virtua Racing aesthatic that works on me that way, because I'm not sure if I would feel the same way with -also mentioned in the video- Starblade. One way or another, great video again, dark1x.

PC98_Audi

Producer @ Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh
God damn the music in this episode is ON POINT! Virtua Racing is one of those games that fills my body with a warm fuzzy feeling of nostalgia of my childhood. Such a magical time for games.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
was literally thinking "huh I might play some Virtua Racing" and then I saw this thread so I suppose I'll watch this instead

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Great Job John! Appreciate all the work you put into this!

I hope the team and M2 sees this and fixes the color issue. I did the trick to buy the JP version since I am in the U.S. and who knows when it will come out here, but the color issue is a bit distracting. Still an amazing port and I play it often.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
For some reason I really like the color change. That and some of the other enhancements kinda makes it seem a little Wind Waker HD-like, in that they're doing small things to differentiate the game from the old one, yet staying faithful to the point where it can be seen as the definitive version.

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Watching this now. Virtua Racing has been a game that's interested me since I first heard of and seen it, so despite its obvious flaws in comparison to modern racers, I'm looking forward to getting it when it gets an official English AGES release in about, uh...a year or so.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Great video

Makes me wish M2 would make a ground up sequel with all the cars/tracks from the other games and arcade handling.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Whoa, I had no idea that they back-ported the 32X replay theme to the Model 1 soundfont. That's actually really cool. One thing that I always felt was a little disappointing about V.R. was that it didn't have much to show in the music department compared to the rest of Sega's arcade output. What was there wasn't bad, but there was little more than 10-second checkpoint riffs separated by long stretches of silence. It was sparse on sound for a Sega racer.

The replay theme was legitimately one of the more memorable additions for the 32X port, and including it like this is the kind of attention to detail that I appreciate.

Mar 5, 2019
I may wait for the US release to see if they make any changes to the color.

Any comments on the extra bells and whistles included in this port? I'd like to see if I can play with motion controls for 5 minutes before switching back.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I wasn't really interested in grabbing this one when the Sega Ages version was announced but watching the video that aesthetic is absolutely gorgeous, holy cow

Oct 25, 2017
The Switch version looks fantastic, apart from the very unfortunate absence of all of the additional tracks from the 32X, Saturn, and PS2 versions, each of which have their own new tracks that are only found on that version of the game. I hope it gets a Western release soon, I very much want to get it! The upscaled graphics look great.

I do have to ask, though -- Dark1x, have you ever played the Saturn version with the systems' racing wheel controller, called the Arcade Racer in the US? Because while it doesn't fix all of the games' problems, the Arcade Racer does dramatically improve Saturn Virtua Racing's controls. On a d-pad, Saturn V.R. is very hard to control. It's a frustrating game to play on pad for sure. But with the Arcade Racer, the game plays pretty well! Sure, it still has framerate problems, some physics issues, and such, but it's a good racing game with a full series mode, lots of tracks, and pretty good gameplay. Unfortunately, you must have the wheel to play V.R. in analog; the game is one of only two on the Saturn (the other being Hang-On GP) that requires the wheel, and only the wheel, for analog controls. All of the other racing games with analog will also work on a 3D Controller, but not this one, and both games, V.R. and Hang-On GP, have very frustrating, touchy controls on d-pad. It's an issue that a lot of people have criticized both games for, and rightfully so if you don't have the wheel.

With the wheel, though, both games are really good! Saturn Virtua Racing isn't quite as great as the 32X version overall, thanks to the inconsistent framerate, altered graphical look of the game, and such, but it's a very good game that I quite like.

In contrast, the PS2 version has a critical flaw that totally ruins it. PS2 Virtua Racing has pretty good graphics with a great look to them, but it plays HORRIBLY! Seriously, the game is the worst version of Virtua Racing ever, and it's all because of the awful, totally and utterly unlike the arcade, controls. Dark1x gets it right in the video, it does feel like you're c ontrolling something that can rotate on a point, but the results are controls utterly unlike the handling of any other version of Virtua Racing. As soon as I first played the PS2 version of V.R. I knew something was horribly wrong, and playing more of it did not improve it in the slightest. I don't understand at all how you can be so hard on the Saturn version, which with the right controller (the wheel) controls acceptably to well, while being easier on the PS2 game, if you want a game that doesn't just look like Virtua Racing, but plays like it as well. Because if that's what you want, don't play PS2 Virtua Racing.

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
Wow. Looks great. Can't wait for the US release. Any chance of Virtua Fighter getting released on switch?

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Excellent video as always DF Retro.

Back then I wondered if a 486 could've handled VR better than the arcade hardware. PC had Microprose's F1 Grand Prix, which wasnt as fast as VR (simulator vs arcade), but ran decently on a fast 386.