• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017

Looking forward to this one!

- A look at original trilogy
- Then Streets of Rage 4
- Including a look at the tools to make the game

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
DF Retro is literally the best thing on YouTube IMO. Each episode is a mini documentary. I absolutely adore it.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Man, so much content! How does John do this haha?

OP
OP
Barneystuta

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
Damn, those Master System conversions. Equally amazing at what they could achieve and awful in comparison to the Genesis/ Mega Drive.

I never even knew they existed to be honest.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Damn, those Master System conversions. Equally amazing at what they could achieve and awful in comparison to the Genesis/ Mega Drive.

I never even knew they existed to be honest.
The first one is reallllly bad but the second one is at least reasonable. Pretty amazing to play on a Game Gear, in fact.

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't watched yet, but just wanted to say John does an absolutely incredible job with all these videos! Thanks for all your hard work, John!

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
Halfway through and it's another amazing DF Retro episode thanks John!......Streets of Rage 2 was definitely the best for the music alone.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
This is the one I've been waiting for!

DF + DF Retro are collectively the best gaming content on YouTube, IMO. I'd say Noclip comes in at a very close second.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
This episode of DF Retro was unbelievably good. It's also great to hear from someone who understands how legendary the SoR franchise is. I'm so hyped for SoR4 and I'm psyched John approves.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really, really glad we get to have at least a serious Sega fan running a retro-focused Youtube series/channel, and the whole video is amazingly made, but i'm not sure i personally trust the guy anymore considering he overpraised the good but clearly flawed Monster Boy with similar tones too.

Anyway another fantastic video, thank god for DF Retro indeed.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm really, really glad we get to have at least a serious Sega fan running a retro-focused Youtube series/channel, and the whole video is amazingly made, but i'm not sure i personally trust the guy anymore considering he overpraised the good but clearly flawed Monster Boy with similar tones too.

Anyway another fantastic video, thank god for DF Retro indeed.
Dude, Monster Boy flawed? In what way? It's one of my favorite games of the entire generation. I mean, any game can have its share of issues but they seem so minor in the grand scheme of things.

Not a big deal as opinions will always vary. That's just my raw excitement coming through.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Like I said in the game's OT, the wait for my LRG physical copy is gonna suck. 🙁

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Dude, Monster Boy flawed? In what way? It's one of my favorite games of the entire generation. I mean, any game can have its share of issues but they seem so minor in the grand scheme of things.

Not a big deal as opinions will always vary. That's just my raw excitement coming through.
We had a thread before where people stated their IMO legitimate concerns with the game. Sorry, i didn't mean to derail this one.
Keep up the good work ^^

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Awesome video as usual John! Looking forward to playing this on Friday.

master15

Nov 28, 2017
Another awesome video as usual. I swear John seal of approval has to sell a lot of units. This game wasn't even on my radar and now I want to purchase it.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
We had a thread before where people stated their IMO legitimate concerns with the game. Sorry, i didn't mean to derail this one.
Keep up the good work ^^
Oh that's fine, like I said, anything can be critiqued. I just can't imagine what the complaints might be. I found it to be startlingly great.

Then again, you have stuff like Hollow Knight, which is superb as well, but it didn't grab me in the same way and I have a lot of nitpicks there. Yet others swear by it.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Really excellent video. The deeper look into the dev side of things was super interesting. So many other brawlers should be brought back using this engine. Would kill for a King of Monsters.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Am I crazy or did John completely ignore SOR2 for Game Gear? That one was my jam, Max is unnecessary lol

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
I love how you compare it with Sonic Mania, Monster Boy, Megaman 11... It gives me the same vibe as well.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I love how you compare it with Sonic Mania, Monster Boy, Megaman 11... It gives me the same vibe as well.
MM11 doesn't really belong with the other two as it doesn't really feel like MM at all. The levels are too long and Wily's castle is too short. It honestly feels like Shovel Knight if you never hit one of the checkpoints.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Seeing all the graphical effects was cool. Just from watching trailers and gameplay videos I never noticed, but it looks really good. The lighting is great.

And hearing the OST is great is the best thing you could ever say about an sor game. It looks like they managed to create a successful sequel. I applaud them (with a purchase).

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
LizardCube seems to really know their stuff! I'm a big fan of their sprite animation since Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap, so seeing SoR4 is going to be interesting.

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Dark1x damn this game is gorgeous, excellent video buddy, especially liked the behind the scenes dev parts showing art creation, animation and lighting. Very cool shit to see a games production, a lot of work has and does go into this game and others we should be grateful!

You can tell this was a passion project :)

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
MM11 doesn't really belong with the other two as it doesn't really feel like MM at all. The levels are too long and Wily's castle is too short. It honestly feels like Shovel Knight if you never hit one of the checkpoints.
While I agree with those specific complaints I'd still rate MM11 very highly. If nothing else, that team understands that solid robot master weapons are the crux of the franchise.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Really excited to take a crack at it.
MM11 hast he most thoughtful level and weapon design in the entire series. As someone that has played this franchise since the very first game, I fail to see how it doesn't feel like MM.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Game Gear and Master System versions of SoR1 were actually different. GG version was uglier, only had 2 characters and less stages, but played better

AwesomeSauce

Oct 25, 2017
Quality work as usual. Watching the whole thing was a treat for us SoR fans.

I kind of wish you gave the SoR remake a shoutout though. That game was so damn good and eased the lack of a official SoR from Sega until 4. At least for me.