• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
I have a Voodoo 1 (it's filmed in the video) but, alas, the drivers between Voodoo 1 and 2 are super finicky. Whenever I switch the two, I end up with hours of problems. It's very annoying and I just didn't want to go through that again since I was already tight on time. :-(

Oh wow! I missed that! Must've just been too knackered to notice!

Yeah, I get it. It's tough to get everything working, especially when working on such a tight schedule. Thanks for putting out this video though, you did a great job with it! :D

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"This was the first fully 3D star wars game with free movement developed for any platform at this point"

Star Wars Arcade had been released in 1994 on the 32X and had free movement in full 3D.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
"This was the first fully 3D star wars game with free movement developed for any platform at this point"

Star Wars Arcade had been released in 1994 on the 32X and had free movement in full 3D.
Oh, trust me, I thought of that game when writing that but I can see your point. I feel like Star Wars Arcade was rather constrained most of the time, though, but that's just my (possibly) flawed take. Star Wars Arcade is excellent.

Feb 4, 2018
After reading that snippet of the postmortem, I went ahead and read the whole damn thing. Based on both the excerpt and the whole shebang, Mark seemed like a really smart developer and I hate that pancreatic cancer took him from us at age 43. RIP!

Jun 2, 2019
Watched the video on release but didn't comment. It was a good one, i'll never not enjoy a classic style DF Retro.

Shadows of the empire was the first N64 game i rented along with Mario Kart 64, i can't say i really enjoyed it but it left an impression on me, the cinematic narrative style felt like a novelty and the "realistic" graphics played the part. It's neat to see it running on PC, but i feel like it's one of those games designed to run on the muddy N64 video output, it just looks too clean.

Years later Rogue Squadron gave me the exact same impression

rogue-squadron-tall.jpg

It just doesn't look that good.

Btw Dark1x , any chance of you tackling this game some time in the future?

XboxCowdry

alt account
Banned
Sep 1, 2019

I thought Star Wars Arcade 32X had less freedom but it was a nice game. Star Fighter on the 3DO, Frontier Elite II (Amiga) and Guadian (CD32) had more freedom than both Star Wars or Shadows IMO. That said Shadows did also have to handle other gameplay styles too but didn't find them very good.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
After reading that snippet of the postmortem, I went ahead and read the whole damn thing. Based on both the excerpt and the whole shebang, Mark seemed like a really smart developer and I hate that pancreatic cancer took him from us at age 43. RIP!
Yeah, Mark worked on some amazing games and contributed a lot to the industry. It's a damn shame. :-(

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
If I could only ever watch one YouTube channel, I would probably pick Digital Foundry/DF Retro. Love learning about all these old games!

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That debug mode is pretty cool. Really interesting to see an N64 game stripped out of its N64-ness.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Great video! I was planning on playing this game again around christmas, because I want to play N64 games this year :D
I don't think it was mentioned in the vid (it would probably be a bit off topic) but a bit of trivia that I like about the game is that the soundtrack was actually made for the novel (and the novel was great, one of the best of the old EU imo)

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
I liked this game a lot as a kid, even though I was pretty bad at it. That sewer level and some of the boss fights had such a creepy atmosphere. For all of its faults though, it really is impressive the time that this game came out.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Holy Smokes... just watched this...I mainly played on Consoles at the time...but man, if you were a kid in the mid 90's and you got fooled by marketing and bought a graphics card that didn't support most games properly...you were fucked no?

Maybe I'm over exaggerating here.

I just can't imagine telling my parents.... "um I think I want that other expensive card instead."
scared.gif

Nov 23, 2017
You're correct but apparently nostalgia has no bounds at this point.

This game was not good. Nobody thought it was good at the time, it was just a launch title with a really cool early level that was the best representation of a famous Star Wars battle yet made. People just played the Hoth snowspeeder part over and over again. All the on foot stuff is complete shit, the swoop bike stuff is terrible, and the Outrider stuff is like a discount version of Rogue Squadron. There's nothing this game does that other SW games haven't done better.
this thread is full of people who like this game even in 2019, so therefore it must have had people who considered it good in 1997. I recall it having some positivity even back then myself. If your argument is that "games that didnt exist yet at this point are better" well that's pretty irrelevant in a DF retro thread.

You not liking it doesnt make it shit nor are you actually adding to the discussion by so hyperbolically negative. John likes it warts and all and that's what this topic is about.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Will we be revisiting the Rogue Squadron/Rebel Assault/X-Wing games anytime soon Dark1x ? This video game me a sudden craving for a Star Wars vehicle game marathon.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Not super soon but, it all goes to plan, Rogue Squadron will receive very special treatment.

Not to go off topic... but ever think about doing a huge (to me it was a huge experience) project for Colony Wars on PlayStation 1?

In comparison to PC Space Shooters at the time?

I thought it was Amazing what they were able to do on that hardware, at that time. Maybe it was all smokes and mirrors, but it was one hell of a result.

Here's a great article by Gamasutra.

And maybe.... just maybe... with a little DF attention to Colony Wars.. with a few retweets here and some trending there... maybe just maybe.... *sigh* nevermind.

Nov 1, 2017
Not super soon but, it all goes to plan, Rogue Squadron will receive very special treatment.
Now that's a good tease. ;)

As always, thank you for putting so much effort into your work. I loved the breakdown of the debug mode. When I was a kid, I don't think I ever appreciated or understood the significance of it (although it did tickle my mind's curiosity).

I can only imagine how child-me would have reacted to these videos. So many questions that no one knew the answers to... not amongst my peers at least.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Not to go off topic... but ever think about doing a huge (to me it was a huge experience) project for Colony Wars on PlayStation 1?

In comparison to PC Space Shooters at the time?

I thought it was Amazing what they were able to do on that hardware, at that time. Maybe it was all smokes and mirrors, but it was one hell of a result.

Here's a great article by Gamasutra.

And maybe.... just maybe... with a little DF attention to Colony Wars.. with a few retweets here and some trending there... maybe just maybe.... *sigh* nevermind.

I second this. Colony Wars was so incredible. To this day I don't know how they managed to produce that game on the PSONE