• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK

DF Retro is back and Dark1x has a treat for us less than a week from the launch of Episode 9.

I bought this game on launch here in the UK and had a great time with it.

Loved the Lucasarts history lesson as well.

I did a search but if old freeze me in carbonite.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
This was one of the most odd games I have ever played.

A mash up of genres, completely different from scenario to scenario.

Still loved it though.

I'll watch asap!

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I had missed having an episode of DF Retro to go along with my Sunday morning coffee. Glad it's back.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
This was one of my favorites on the N64 back in the day. I haven't played it in forever, I think I have a copy on Steam.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember seeing my uncle play this once but never tried it much myself.

Rogue Squadron was my game around this time.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Just got done watching. Terrific work by John. That debug mode in the game is rad as hell.

back in the day I remember putting this game in and solely playing that first mission on hoth. Soo good. Then rogue squadron came out and I finally moved on.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I loved this game.

Hell, I can say this game was truly what solidified my love of SW universe, after largely just watching the old movies with my Dad on USA, back in the day.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
Nice to see some N64 footage of it running on a CRT, it looks so much better than the direct feed stuff.

I had no idea there is other media surrounding Shadows, that comic looked interesting, awesome that you went into that.

So can you play the game in a decent state on a modern PC or is an old pc with a 3dFx card the only way?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This game is probably responsible for ~40 percent of my star wars appreciation. It was clunky and I hated that sewer level but I loved it.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
That sewer underwater boss scared the fuck out of me as a kid. I think that's what help contribute to my thalassophobia.

Neifirst

Oct 27, 2017
I remember being so into Star Wars back then - the Timothy Zahn books, the special editions coming to theaters the following year, and a new movie in the works. That Hoth level really was unbelievable at the time!

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't even know (or at least remember) that the PC version shipped with new cinematics. Gotta say, not a fan. I think the so-called 'comic panels' of the N64 version looked miles better. And more so whenever they used the in-game rendering to animate the ships.

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
Great video. I didn't really understand how effective N64's AA really was before seeing that comparison without textures. Also interesting to hear that the fog wasn't some kind of necessity.

PC98_Audi

Producer @ Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh
I have such unconditional love for Shadows of the Empire. I was completely wrapped up in the story, from the comics and novel to the video game. Still to this day my favorite entry into the Star Wars saga.

Also such a great episode. Loved seeing all the technical details from the debug mode.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Great video.

I remember reading the book back in the day, it was so hilariously bad and cringe I thought Kevin J. Anderson wrote it. Xizor and his phermones and his human droid woman

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
When I was a kid we rented it a few times to play the Hoth mission. I do not believe we ever beat the next level, lol.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite games of all time. This video was great, I've always wanted to play the PC version.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite games of all time. This video was great, I've always wanted to play the PC version.

www.gog.com

STAR WARS™ Shadows of the Empire™

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away... As Luke Skywalker and the Rebel Alliance

£1.69 in the gog winter sale

iirc it's capped to 60fps and is more difficult because of that, because of logic being linked to frame rate as John mentions in the vid. You may need to cap it at 30fps if you have trouble

Last edited:

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was a great game with an engaging story. I always felt this was the middle term between Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, as the game ends exactly when Luke and Leia heads to the Jabba's Palace for rescuing Han.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Virginia, US
I remember how difficult the game was to purchase at the time because it was sold out at all the stores when it was first released. I had fond memories of playing the Hoth level. I also liked the first person shooter levels of the game.

Sep 14, 2019
Stupid IG-88. Scared the crackers out of me.

Beat him by pure luck. I closed my eyes and kept shooting him until I beat his ass.

Then my file was delete and was too scared to go through it all again, so I gave up playing the game.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
i remember having a copy of super mario 64 and going down to the local game rental place (just a dude operating out of his house) and asking if i could swap it for shadows of the empire. the guy was ecstatic and was happy to swap.
i played the game and yknow, it was okay i guess? went back to see if he'd let me swap shadows for something else and got a firm no. i learnt about supply and demand that day.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never forget the difficult controller input it took to turn on the cheats for this game

Debug Mode
Start a new game on Medium difficulty. Call it .Wampa..Stompa (Case sensitive). Start in a level and as soon as it starts press pause. Now press and hold all at once C up, C right, C down, C left, L, R, Z and Left on the d-pad. While holding these down gently move the control stick left halfway, and hold all this until you hear a sound. Do the same thing with the joystick facing right, then left, right and finally left. Make sure you keep the other buttons held down during this time.
If it worked pink writing will come up, and using L, R and A you can select cheats such as 50 lives, wall ghost, next level, gravity, jump power etc. To make the menu reappear each time you go back to the pause screen C up, C right, C down, C left, L, R, Z and Left on the d-pad.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'll never forget holding off buying this so my parents could gift it to me for Christmas. Killed me. I got it Christmas Eve and played it the entire night until Christmas morning

Ketchup

Nov 5, 2017
I have to ask Dark1x, when you are showing the N64 are you showing it as a direct feed? Whilst the N64 never looked great it looks pretty terrible blown up onto a 1080p or 4k TV. Whats your thoughts about giving us a feed thats through an OSSC instead? As it's not really changing the image like an emulator does, yet making it look nicer on modern TVs whilst still showing how it looks on original hardware.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I have to ask Dark1x, when you are showing the N64 are you showing it as a direct feed? Whilst the N64 never looked great it looks pretty terrible blown up onto a 1080p or 4k TV. Whats your thoughts about giving us a feed thats through an OSSC instead? As it's not really changing the image like an emulator does, yet making it look nicer on modern TVs whilst still showing how it looks on original hardware.
That was through an OSSC and with deblur engaged. So, yeah, that's best case for analog output from the system.

It looks really nice on the CRT but, yeah, captured footage is not great.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you Dark1x for explaining to people the difficulties that belie PC gaming circa 1997/1998! Too many people assumed it was as simple as it is today.

Don't even get me started on the Sound Card Wars!

And yeah, Shadows of the Empire is an interesting Interquel that never got its own movie. I'm not sure at this point if Disney feels it would want to revisit it, which is a shame.

And yes I have the novel and I love it!

Apr 21, 2018
Digital Foundry has become my favorite channel, and largely because of these awesome retros. Sometimes I just don't know how Digital Foundry does it, and are able to release videos at such a good rate.
Thanks Dark1x you're doing amazing work.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Watching this now, loving the video.

I bought this game for my 10th birthday with birthday money for $114 at Toys R Us! I remember being soooo excited.

I always liked this game. Now I wanna replay it :(

Such hard nostalgia for this game!

Remake plz.

Ps. I never knew about the PC version til now WTF

Last edited: