• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
DF Retro keeps delivering the goods, shame that gunner's heaven/rapid reload never came to the America, game looks great

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't know Gunner's Heaven got a PAL release.

Unfortunately we never got a US version. Anyone know why?

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
There's a part of my brain that's all "I loved 3D Lemmings!" but that has to be the strongest rose tinted glasses in history because man that definitely does not look okay to play at all lmao

Rapid Reload was definitely the highlight for them and I really wish we could have gotten it here too. I remember seeing it in magazines and expecting it ANY DAY NOW and....nope. Didn't get to play it until it came out as a PS1 Classic on PSP/PS3.

I think Jumping Flash is still my favorite PS1 launch title overall though. I still play through it and 2 pretty regularly.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Must have been part of the contract until Sony changed them to Studio Liverpool.
Even though they were organizationally under SCE, Psygnosis were still functionally independent. That didn't change until the first big SCE reorg in the early 2000s, where Sony shut down their publishing arm and all their dev teams and studios except the Wipeout/F1 team in Liverpool.

It was sort of similar for SOE (Sony Online Entertainment) until SCE gutted them in the late 2000s. SOE actually had to go through 3rd party cert and pay licensing fees on their PS2, PSP and PS3 games.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in NA but I was able to rent Gunner's Heaven from a local store that had imports and run it using the disc swap trick. I remember hoping it would be the next Gunstar Heroes and being let down. I should try it again to see if I like it more now.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I forgot about that nonsense. SCEA was so bad.
Truly. All of those Konami compilations (Gradius, Salamander, Parodius) and 2D Games (Gradius Gaiden, the 2D Goemon) would have been great US releases but...

I'm in NA but I was able to rent Gunner's Heaven from a local store that had imports and run it using the disc swap trick. I remember hoping it would be the next Gunstar Heroes and being let down. I should try it again to see if I like it more now.

i played it much later (2001 or so?) and felt it was a pretty neat novelty for an early PS1 game, but doesn't really compare favorably to many of the run n gun classics.

I think Jumping Flash is still my favorite PS1 launch title overall though. I still play through it and 2 pretty regularly.

it was the main reason I wanted a PS1 at launch. got the system with only tekken-- no memory card and NO jumping flash for Christmas 1995. i barely played Tekken because i also got VF2 the same christmas lol

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
Loved this, brought me back through memory lane. Would love a Saturn or Dreamcast equivalent of these episodes one day.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Great video.
I got the PlayStation a few months after it released here in Europe, so I played most of those launch games. Loved Jumping Flash.

About the 50Hz situation, some games were especially bad. Like Tekken 3.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I didn't get a PS1 until a year after it came out I believe, but I played Jumping Flash! not too long after receiving one as a Christmas gift and it blew my mind. It was just utterly mesmerising and unlike anything I had played before. A fully 3D first-person platformer with popping colours, a boppin' soundtrack and a surreal sense of humour. I still love it and its sequel to this day. I think the guy who talked about it kinda undersold it a bit to be honest (especially when he had a lot of positive things to say about Battle Arena Toshinden and Street Fighter: The Movie: The Video Game... wtf!) and would've really liked to have heard John's thoughts on it instead. Oh well.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Nice accessible explanation of the 50Hz situation and why PAL games ran slow and bordered. Even on a PS1-focused video, Sonic is the obvious example to use — you can hear someone playing that PAL version from a mile away.

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
I remember having wipeout (and tomb raider etc) on PC as a kid and my friends always saying that they didn't look as good as the playstation versions. I thought 'this playstation thing must be a beast!'

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
It's nice to get a couple of really good quality, side-by-side comparisons of PAL vs NTSC versions of games. It doesn't tend to come up much any more since the days of PAL conversions are thankfully long since dead, but actually having to explain the issues of poor PAL conversion to someone unfamiliar with them tended to be a little tricky since there were very few good quality side-by-side videos, and the ones that existed tended to focus on the obvious ones (Sonic, FFX).

I wonder if it'd be worth their while doing a dedicated DF Retro on particularly good and particularly terrible PAL conversions. It's probably a bit of an under-comprehended part of industry history.

SCEA was particularly against having 2D games on their 3D system. They relaxed their weird standards later but we missed out on a lot of good stuff in NA because of it.
It was especially weird because there were some totally 2D games available at the launch of the PlayStation in North America (like Rayman and The Raiden Project as well as Street Fighter: The Movie). Definitely some strange double standards at work there.

That behaviour continued well into the PS2's lifetime - I remember that there were lots of weird (usually quite niche) games that got PAL releases despite never being released in NA. Sony in Europe really benefited from being the newest entrant in a market where Sega and Nintendo had just had their licensing model squished by the EU, allowing them to collect third party support that otherwise might not have happened.

i barely played Tekken because i also got VF2 the same christmas lol
Looking back, I think Sony and Namco got quite lucky that the Tekken/Virtua Fighter comparisons played out the way that they did, with Saturn getting an initially underwhelming version of the original Virtua Fighter and then having publications tend to compare Tekken on PlayStation to that game as much as to VF2. I'm a pretty big Tekken series fan but the first game was rough in and really struggles in any comparison with VF2.

dammitmattt

Oct 28, 2017
DF Retro is just the best. I think it's probably my overall favorite YouTube channel.

Same! I watched all ~3 hours of this and could easily watch so much more. I'd also love a deeper dive into the first year of notable PS1 games (as well as their much-improved sequels) as I have so much nostalgia for those early 3D games.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Looking back, I think Sony and Namco got quite lucky that the Tekken/Virtua Fighter comparisons played out the way that they did, with Saturn getting an initially underwhelming version of the original Virtua Fighter and then having publications tend to compare Tekken on PlayStation to that game as much as to VF2. I'm a pretty big Tekken series fan but the first game was rough in and really struggles in any comparison with VF2.

SEGA should have stuck to the fall release for the US Saturn and released VF Remix as the pack-in-- things would have been a lot better for the system launch.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SEGA should have stuck to the fall release for the US Saturn and released VF Remix as the pack-in-- things would have been a lot better for the system launch.
It would have been better but I think it still would have been an uphill battle with the launch price, and the advertising not being as good as on Genesis.