• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
The Gamecube version is the best way to replay this game right now because of the ability to inject custom backgrounds using Dolphin. It's not exactly a remaster, but it's definitely a huge improvement.

Plus GC is the only version which lets you skip the in-engine cut scenes if you want to. No other version does that.

mjgobrk31exl.jpg

16o9svaqaibi.jpg

lcv2bcxg9e9s.jpg

yxoymh549dfr.jpg
Those look like like awful upscaled backgrounds with vaseline filters.

Oct 25, 2017
The Gamecube version is the best way to replay this game right now because of the ability to inject custom backgrounds using Dolphin. It's not exactly a remaster, but it's definitely a huge improvement.

Plus GC is the only version which lets you skip the in-engine cut scenes if you want to. No other version does that.

mjgobrk31exl.jpg

16o9svaqaibi.jpg

lcv2bcxg9e9s.jpg

yxoymh549dfr.jpg

Those filters look horrible and ruin the original art.

PC version with Gemini's recent modern systems ''Classic'' fix is by far the best way to play the game right now on a modern setup. That is, Unless you have a CRT, then I would still go for PS1/GC/DC even without the QoL improvements from the fix. Playing on a CRT if you can will always be the biggest improvement and a deciding factor to many.

Last edited:

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017

mjgobrk31exl.jpg

16o9svaqaibi.jpg

lcv2bcxg9e9s.jpg

yxoymh549dfr.jpg
Eh, those backgrounds look way too clean. I prefer the originals.

That just seemed like someone lost a bet or something XD. Right after is when they went nuts with their collections and compilations and everything.
Nah, that's just the way Capcom's always been. Just look at all the ports and re-releases of Street Fighter II.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
The original RE2 is so damn good. It was my favorite game on the PSX, and any time I revisit it, thinking that maybe it has finally "aged", it never does.

While I haven't played it myself, those shots don't look good to me. The most faithful, and "best" (subjective, duh...) way is on Retroarch. It does an amazing approximation of the original on a CRT. That's assuming you don't still have a 300lb Trinitron and a working PSX lying around.

XBR or whatever that smear-o-vision is has never looked good to me in any game.

TBH there's only so much they can do with these 20 year old 240p background images.

But it doesn't look as 'toon-ish' during game play when you're quickly going through these backgrounds and definitely a good way to revisit the game without it looking like a complete mess on modern high resolution displays.

If you don't like the toon-filter look, Dolphin emulators fork Ishiruka (Ishikura ?) also has built-in smoothing filters which can decently clean up the backgrounds just as they are as well.

Normal:
without37ugw.png
https://abload.de/img/without37ugw.png

With smoothing applied:
withgiuyw.png
https://abload.de/img/withgiuyw.png

open them in different tabs and tab through, look at the corners of the store front signs, car bumpers etc to notice the full effect of the smoothing.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

mjgobrk31exl.jpg

16o9svaqaibi.jpg

lcv2bcxg9e9s.jpg

yxoymh549dfr.jpg
Those assets weren't meant to be seen in high resolution. It sounds weird but that's just how it feels looking at this. The low resolution and less-clear image is what lets your brain fill-in the blanks. This just makes it look "not good" and "cheap."

Tigerfog

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal

mjgobrk31exl.jpg

16o9svaqaibi.jpg

lcv2bcxg9e9s.jpg

yxoymh549dfr.jpg
Wow... those BGs. It's kind of an improvement, but it's as close as we'll get to hi-res versions of the original ones, right?
It's such a bummer that the original BGs were lost, but as mentioned by the DF video, RE3 still managed to have some hi-res BG in the GC and PC version.
What's mind-boggling though, is that, from what I saw of those version, only BG elements that have a high z-depth than the 3D characters (they appear over them) are in hi-res. Any other BG is still really pixelated and low-res.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic video Dark1x

I am in the process of replaying the first two RE before REmake 2 comes out so this video came at the right time!

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Those assets weren't meant to be seen in high resolution. It sounds weird but that's just how it feels looking at this. The low resolution and less-clear image is what lets your brain fill-in the blanks. This just makes it look "not good" and "cheap."

I completely understand. Not everyone will be a fan of these kind of extreme filters.

The dolphin fork Ishiruka also has 'standard' smoothing options that try their best to clean up the image as it is without adding any filters.

Look at the Hamburger sign or the cars in the bottom of the image.

Normal:
without37ugw.png

With smoothing applied:
withgiuyw.png

PC98_Audi

Producer @ Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh
Chris Huelsbeck needs his own DF Retro Profile episode or something. Bona-fide legend.

I had a friend back in the day that insisted his RE2 game.com game was as good as the PSX game. I feel like driving 7 hours, step on his door after 20 years and show him this video before slapping him and leave.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I completely understand. Not everyone will be a fan of these kind of extreme filters.

The dolphin fork Ishiruka also has 'standard' smoothing options that try their best to clean up the image as it is without adding any filters.

Look at the Hamburger sign or the cars in the bottom of the image.

Normal:
without37ugw.png

With smoothing applied:
withgiuyw.png
yea this is better

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Loving the video so far. I really need to replay RE2 before that remake comes out.

My favorite bit of trivia from the RE2 ports is how the 64 version directly lead to the creation of the Red Dead franchise.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/10/17/...franchise-began-angel-studios-capcom-rockstar

This ability to bridge divides, to work with high-profile Japanese companies, secured Angel Studios a contract gig that changed the course of the company forever, he says: the Nintendo 64 port of Resident Evil 2, which was released in 1999.

"We were the first — at least as I was told — the first developer outside of Japan to work directly with Capcom Japan," says Stewart Spilkin, producer on both Resident Evil 2 and Red Dead Revolver at Angel Studios.

A team of nine developers at Angel was able to get all of Resident Evil 2 — which originally shipped on two discs when it debuted on Sony's PlayStation — as well as new features, onto a 64-bit cartridge.

Capcom was impressed with Angel Studios' work and later approached the developer about something different. A new game. A new IP. No one knew that it would eventually lead to one of the most popular series in games.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Best DF Retro yet.

I'm not biased even though I'm mid RE2 replay and finished off Claire A last night. Nope.

20181209_093732tni0v.png

I knew I kept all this stuff around for a good reason.

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished watching. Superb work John Dark1x

Your do a fantastic job bringing us these videos, and it's greatly appreciated.

P.S. Glad you mentioned Gemini's patch. He's been modding and hacking RE2 for for many years, and although he's known within that community, it will be cool that his work we get some love from people that otherwise wouldn't know.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
PS1 rules, N64 drools! :P

Excellent video as usual.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Will watch it straight away when I get home, been waiting for this one!

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I look forward to DF Retro Dino Crisis when the new DC game is coming out

Your faith in this is almost to the point of being a religion now. As Capcom already said though, there needs to be more than just you wanting it.

Not that I would mind having another Resident Evil: Jurassic Arcade edition.

Oct 30, 2017
Just watched it.

I want to reply the game one last time before REmake 2 arrives... but the problem is I replayed the game many many times that I can't force myself for another playthrough XD

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Excellent work from John once again, an absolute pleasure to watch.

Again with surprises, I had no idea this GBA demo existed! Also, that Sourcenext port seems incredibly hard to find, I pretty much have all the ports of that game except a PC one and this would be perfect with the discussed patch.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
One of the reasons I value my Vita is being able to play the RE games. The display quality is nice and just the right size so I don't need weird filters. I don't have a CRT and it's nearly impossible to do the games justice on a 60-inch HDTV no matter what features any given emulator has imo.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing video as always.

I can't believe that Resident Evil 2 is shaping up to be in my top games of all time list twice.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Great video!

Makes me wonder what a 2018 N64 port could potentially look like. The N64 CPU wouldn't be able to handle x265 or anything like that, but surely some of the compression techniques from the past 20 years could be implemented. As an aside, I always found it weird how the N64 RAM expansion replaced the stock RAM chip instead of adding to it. Could have had a massive 12MB!

A lot of fans prefer the Dreamcast version because it has Nightmare Difficulty Mode.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I dunno about the filters, i think CRT shader (CRT-Royale) with Beetle PSX on Retroarch is the best way to play.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Great video, special shout out to cvxfreak

Used your guide for REmake and was able to get the platinum, thanks for that

Makes me wonder what a 2018 N64 port could potentially look like. The N64 CPU wouldn't be able to handle x265 or anything like that, but surely some of the compression techniques from the past 20 years could be implemented.

You know, that would be a pretty cool lol. Nintendo could have a special 64MB game cart for the Switch that devs can release on with no publishing fees or something. I bet we would see some cool shit

Deleted member 42686

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2018
Great stuff. I love your retro videos. But tbh I was really looking foward the first RE retro. I mean, the game has so many ports and versions.

Anyway its just me or the DC version looks as much good as any other? I was very impressed. But since I never used a DC controller I cant really say the experience would be good and you mention the controls are bad, that makes me wonder if its really that playable at all.

Nice work as aways man.

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
This is going to be a great way to spend my Sunday morning. I absolutely love DF Retro. I remember playing RE2 for PSX, N64, and DC and realizing that they all seemed different which led to my interest in tech and development growing up.

Thank you for the time you put into these videos Dark1x they are top quality. I can tell how much you love these old games and their tech and it is awesome that you share that with us.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing episode! I remember being psyched for the N64 release, and it played like a dream. One of the best games on the system, tbh.

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
Great video!

Makes me wonder what a 2018 N64 port could potentially look like. The N64 CPU wouldn't be able to handle x265 or anything like that, but surely some of the compression techniques from the past 20 years could be implemented. As an aside, I always found it weird how the N64 RAM expansion replaced the stock RAM chip instead of adding to it. Could have had a massive 12MB!

A lot of fans prefer the Dreamcast version because it has Nightmare Difficulty Mode.
The N64 Expansion pak does add to the systems ram. The included jumper pak has no ram at all.