• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017

I played the SNES version with my friends. We rented the game. The controls are strange for the grappling hook, but I find the game very playable. It's not great, but we never encountered the kind of stuff people describe. Maybe the PC version is worse with the controls, but certainly not the SNES game. We looked at the manual for the controls. It plays like a side scrolling Mortal Kombat at a time when Mortal Kombat was all the rage. So the combat is Batman Forever for very easy and intuitive for us back then. I haven't played modern Mortal Kombat, so not sure if the core of the combat has changed much. We had a blast playing co-op.

I never knew there was a PC version of this game, though. Really interesting to see. I wonder why Robin looks different in the console versions? He's not wearing the suit he wears in the movie. That's so strange. Yet seeing the PC version, he looks movie accurate.

Dark1x Did you know there's an arcade game? It's totally different from the console and PC version.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I remember thinking the game was okay (granted, I was 9 years old). It ain't great, but it's definitely not the bottom tier of Batman games

May 24, 2019
Dark1x should follow up with the weirdo 32 bit belt scroller beat-em-up Batman Forever, then the ambitious PS1 open worldish Batman and Robin.

PC98_Audi

Producer @ Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh
After we recorded this video, I actually sat down to play the other versions (to capture the comparison footage) and came to realize that the Mega Drive version, especially when played with the 6 button pad, is not that bad. In fact I had a bit of fun with it.

Dark1x should follow up with the weirdo 32 bit belt scroller beat-em-up Batman Forever, then the ambitious PS1 open worldish Batman and Robin.

Don't give him ideas, I already get the cold sweats when he invites me over to "have fun and play games".

May 24, 2019
It's incredible that they did Sub Zero after this game and didn't ditch the idea of Mortal Kombat controls in a platformer immediately.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I had this game for the SNES when I was a kid. I didn't think it was great, but still I had fun with it. It's not terrible as it's sometimes made up to be.

Never could get past that damn circus level.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I had this game for the SNES when I was a kid. I didn't think it was great, but still I had fun with it. It's not terrible as it's sometimes made up to be.

Never could get past that damn circus level.

The circus level leaned too much on trial and error for a timed stage.
The game is running too fast in their PC setup, the circus timer is supposed to be in real time.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
When I played this game, it took me quite a while -- and I mean a while -- to figure out the controls. Since I just have a loose disc with no manual, I had to literally just press every key on the keyboard to figure out the nightmarishly bad key layout this game uses! The internet was no help, there's nothing about it online... or wasn't, until I covered it a few years ago and listed all the controls. The keyboard controls center on that block of keys over the arrow keys, along with the arrow keys themselves and several other keys.

So yeah, you're lucky to get a copy with the manual! Looking at your control listing in the video, it looks like I missed a few things, for how to do the grappling hook and such without a keyboard. Nice to know.

As for the game, it's playable but definitely not good; this is a playable but mediocre side-scrolling beat 'em up. It's a simplistic and repetitive game with bad controls and design issues. I found it too hard as well, frustratingly so. I don't think the game would be any better on SNES or Genesis either, most of its flaws are way too deep to just be about the controls. Sure, it's not totally horrible and I can see finding it somewhat entertaining once you get used to it, but I much prefer my beat 'em ups to have isometric depth, as opposed to this kind of flat style -- this style of beat 'em up ends up being too basic to be all that engaging, and this ones' attempt to make things interesting with lots of additional buttons doesn't help. Those PC-exclusive FMV sequences, voiced dialog, and CD audio are kind of neat, though.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Hated that game, controls were pure dog shit.
Had it for the super nintendo, me and my kid sister would play coop after school in the 90's.
Never managed to beat it. If i remember correctly it was the first cartridge i took apart to see what was inside....

bell_hooks

Banned
Nov 23, 2019
Don't give him ideas, I already get the cold sweats when he invites me over to "have fun and play games".
That was funniest part of the video.
People want to meet their favourite youtube personality until they enter Trinitron Cave and Mr. Linneman locks you in room with 3DO controller and gives FULL FAT EXPIERIENCE

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
That was fun and painful to watch at the same time.

They mention the arcade in the video. Actually I thought it was going to be about that. Boy was I wrong.

If we were to do a 10 worst beat'em up of all time list this one would rank high.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I had this game, but years later don't remember anything except the first minutes and that music. After watching this video, now I know the reason for that!

prek_sada.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 5457

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really loved the game on SNES back in the day... It checked a few boxes at that very moment, the music was awesome and I just liked overall design.

I can't put my finger on it, but that game has SOMETHING....