• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Of all the major retro consoles, N64 is the machine that causes the most problems when hooking up to a modern flat panel display - mostly because S-Video was the top-end output offered by the machine itself. So what's the best solution here? John talks HDMI adapters and mods with MyLifeInGaming's Marc Duddleston, with a focus on the brand new 'plug and play' EON Super 64 adaptor.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Great video as usual!

I don't know if this is actually true, but I remember reading that there were some early French n64models that were capable of RGB output.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This is so relevant to me right now. As I sit in my Japanese hotel room buying JP N64 games once again before going back to my JP N64 that can't easily be plugged into my new 4K TV (no SCART/S-video ports). I am so ready for an HDMI mod.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Great video as usual!

I don't know if this is actually true, but I remember reading that there were some early French n64models that were capable of RGB output.

The problem with the n64 is that the video is inherently blurry. Even an RGB output isn't going to look that great. You really need some type of deblur to improve the video much over s-video.

Here are some of my old UltraHDMI shots:
conkerphoneanjdb.png

ootzeldanyjwp.png

ppltitlej7ko1.png

sminside7okyy.png

UltraHDMI retro mode:
2016-01-13_21-09-4435o2y.png

The problem with the EON is that it's $150 and it gets you no where near any of those shots.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This video kinda cemented my want for a Retrotink 2x. Got an N64, Wii, and PS2 that I'd love to hook up and purchase games for!

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
I've had the EON Super 64 for a while now and it's good but I'm still dying for that HDMI N64 mod. I don't have any soldering experience, so I need to find a place that can install it for me because that HDMI mod looks sweet.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Great vid. It looks like the EON is probably good enough for me right now. I'd obviously love an UltraHDMI mod but they're constantly out of stock and SO EXPENSIVE. The EON looks to get me close to what I want (essentially being able to use my stock console on my no-SCART 4KTV) with little to no downsides. Reckon I'll be grabbing one.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
The problem with the n64 is that the video is inherently blurry. Even an RGB output isn't going to look that great. You really need some type of deblur to improve the video much over s-video.

Here are some of my old UltraHDMI shots:
conkerphoneanjdb.png

ootzeldanyjwp.png

ppltitlej7ko1.png

sminside7okyy.png

UltraHDMI retro mode:
2016-01-13_21-09-4435o2y.png

The problem with the EON is that it's $150 and it gets you no where near any of those shots.

Imo, I much prefer blur over the low-res, dithered, Escher-esque stair stepping image you get without.

inspectah

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Great vid. It looks like the EON is probably good enough for me right now. I'd obviously love an UltraHDMI mod but they're constantly out of stock and SO EXPENSIVE. The EON looks to get me close to what I want (essentially being able to use my stock console on my no-SCART 4KTV) with little to no downsides. Reckon I'll be grabbing one.
The UltraHDMI is 127$ if you buy directly from Marshall, you just have to find two other people who want it, because minimum quantity is 3 units.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
What's the cheapest option with the least latency? Because I don't really care about how it looks...I just want to hook it up to my living room TV and play some Cruisn with my wife.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm, latest GameSack episode had similar accessories reviews, coincidence? 😜
upd - doh! its mentioned in DF video, my bad.

Last edited:

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Imo, I much prefer blur over the low-res, dithered, Escher-esque stair stepping image you get without.

Check the bottom picture which has retro mode enabled.

What's the cheapest option with the least latency? Because I don't really care about how it looks...I just want to hook it up to my living room TV and play some Cruisn with my wife.

That's going to be the Retrotink2X with your current N64 cable in and HDMI out.

OP
OP
Fuzzy

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
That's going to be the Retrotink2X with your current N64 cable in and HDMI out.
Yep, even adding Retro Access's s-video cable to it if someone doesn't want to gamble on the cheap ones online it's still cheaper than the Super 64 and you can use it for more than one console.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
After pulling the trigger for the Ultra HDMI mod, there really is no going back. It's an amazing mod.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
I've been trying to get my hands on the EON GCHD Mk-II but the thing is hard as hell to track down.
I would likely go with something like that for an n64 as well. Does EON not sell direct?

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I will probably get the EON at some point. Just need to save up a bit of money.

Also waiting for the Admiral wireless controller from Hyperkin.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
I know people want to play on old hardware, but honestly the N64 is one of the systems that benefits the most from emulation. The polygon characters look great at high resolutions, and while textures can stand out (in a bad way) at times, the overall look is so good.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I guess UltraHDMI is the way to go...but looking for someone to mod my system is hard! And not to mention I know NOTHING about soldering!

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the EON Super 64 is a surprisingly effective piece of kit, but the conclusion they reached here is basically the same one I had when it was first announced: that it's too expensive for how limited it is and the kind of results it delivers, especially since the Retrotink is available for ~$50 less and offers comparable results without being limited to systems that use the SNES AV plug.

Speaking of which, has anyone actually tested out the Super 64 on a SNES or GCN to see how those systems look through it? I assume they'd work, since they're all using the same plug, and besides the SNS-101 they all support S-Video.

Also, how does the Super 64 handle 480i content? Assuming it's the basic bob deinterlace we find on a lot of these other scalars, but I can't really find any info...

OP
OP
Fuzzy

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Speaking of which, has anyone actually tested out the Super 64 on a SNES or GCN to see how those systems look through it? I assume they'd work, since they're all using the same plug, and besides the SNS-101 they all support S-Video.
You'd have to cut the case of the Super 64 for it to even fit into the SNES because of what the plastic on it looks like.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Also, how does the Super 64 handle 480i content? Assuming it's the basic bob deinterlace we find on a lot of these other scalars, but I can't really find any info...

The fact that it's lagless means it bobs 480i content. You can't deinterlace 480i game content because there's no guarantee that any field has any direct relation to any prior or subsequent field. You usually just end up with a mess of combing artifacts.

You'd have to cut the case of the Super 64 for it to even fit into the SNES because of what the plastic on it looks like.

You could just take the case off of it.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I guess UltraHDMI is the way to go...but looking for someone to mod my system is hard! And not to mention I know NOTHING about soldering!
I had Retrofixes.com install my mod, but it looks like they're not doing it anymore for some reason. I think the kits have started to become even harder to come by this year, which is perhaps the reason why some modders aren't doing it anymore.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I totally forgot to mention 480i. That's the issue I guess with a discussion versus a scripted video. Yea, EON uses bob deinterlacing.

Also, for PAL owners, the RetroTINK should accept PAL signals making it a good option.

Tamazoid

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I totally forgot to mention 480i. That's the issue I guess with a discussion versus a scripted video. Yea, EON uses bob deinterlacing.

Also, for PAL owners, the RetroTINK should accept PAL signals making it a good option.

So for PAL owners you'd suggest either RetroTINK or one of mod options?

Found a company in Australia that still does the UltraHDMI mod, but it's currently out of stock.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I see a lot of people ignoring the N64 RGB mod which looks just as good IMO, or at least extremely close to Ultra HDMI if it has deblur active (THS 7374 chip) + if you have an OSSC.

Dark1x can correct me if I'm wrong.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England

Thanks man.

I literally just bought an N64 today. It's come with an RF and a composite.

Thing is my LG C7 doesn't have a composite video input and the picture through RF is really fuzzy and I don't think there's a way to tune it anymore.

Looks like I'll order the retrotink.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I see a lot of people ignoring the N64 RGB mod which looks just as good IMO, or at least extremely close to Ultra HDMI if it has deblur active (THS 7374 chip) + if you have an OSSC.

Dark1x can correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes. It's exactly what I use too and it looks great.

It doesn't QUITE match the perfection of the Ultra HDMI via the OSSC but it gets very very close. I mainly use it because I prefer playing on a CRT. Deblur + RGB on a PVM is just fantastic.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. It's exactly what I use too and it looks great.

It doesn't QUITE match the perfection of the Ultra HDMI via the OSSC but it gets very very close. I mainly use it because I prefer playing on a CRT. Deblur + RGB on a PVM is just fantastic.
Must be nice to have a PVM! I've tried finding one but good luck finding one at a reasonable price. Currently I'm using a Toshiba 27A41 and there's no RGB option there... but there is component so it's not too bad for PS2 games.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
the retrotink thing looks interesting, the main adapter in the video I don't think it's worth this much, if they had designed a little different to also fit snes and gc, and it had better build quality, maybe... but I do understand that the plug and play aspect of it is good.

I do think that svideo to 480p is a good solution for retro gaming in modern tvs, it's sharp enough not to look like the mess you probably get just using composite directly on the TV, and it's not ultra sharp like an emulator.

Oct 27, 2017
My UltraHDMI was easily worth the money and effort to install it. The de-blur option is like magic, and retro mode works really well for the games that don't look quite right when they're that sharp. Honestly, installation wasn't that hard, it just took a lot of patience.

Is it even possible to find a controller with an analogue stick in a decent condition?

They're not that hard to refurbish. I got some of the metal bowls that Steel Stick puts out, and they made a huge difference. Then there's plenty of good alternatives to the official controller these days, though you lose the ability to play shooters with movement on the dpad and aiming on the stick with most of them.