• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
tapedeck

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I posted a few production notes since the episode was so massive and a few fun things were left out just to keep time and pacing perfect. I only really helped out capturing footage and scripting out portions of the episode but it was a lot of fun and I love the Digital Foundry crew.

Ha wow, very nice job by all involved. And I echo the sentiment that we want a part 2 with MK2, 3 and 4. With how thorough John is that would be a 3 hour video tho haha.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man, i remember the second game was banned in Germany. It had like one day at release where you could grab it, the day after release the police went into games stores like toys'r'us and took all the games with them.
A friend of mine gladfully grabbed the mega drive version on release day and thus we could play it. Crazy times.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
Excited to watch this later.

It's obviously for the better the way it is now, but I can't help but be nostalgic for the era when console versions were drastically different. It was exciting to play the versions and note all the pros and cons. It was almost like having entirely different games. MK 1-3 were prime examples of this. I had every one I could get my hands on and played them so much.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Excited to watch this later.

It's obviously for the better the way it is now, but I can't help but be nostalgic for the era when console versions were drastically different. It was exciting to play the versions and note all the pros and cons. It was almost like having entirely different games. MK 1-3 were prime examples of this. I had every one I could get my hands on and played them so much.

I know what you mean. I have like 9 versions of Prince of Persia. The Japanese Riverhill/Arsys ports like the X68k and SNES ones were so awesome. Mechner was very impressed by them too iirc.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Another awesome effort from Dark1x ! Very thorough, and he even managed to mention some of the homebrew/pirate games like the Atari Lynx version that's currently in development.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Great episode! Made me remember that I actually had the game gear version but somehow I had also forgot it being restricted to only 2 stages, that's wild.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The Gameboy port looked good but played really bad. I remember being really disappointed with it. Thankfully MK2 got a better port on GB, even if it was still nowhere near as good as the other versions.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
Awesomely thorough video, never even knew about the MK Lynx homebrew port until today

I'd love if they continue this with the other games in the trilogy. MK3 and its upgrades have some of the most unusual conversion choices ever through the R-Zone and Game.com

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
Great video. I watched it earlier today. I've never played the Genesis port not the handheld versions so I always wondered how they handled 5 button layout of the original game.

woodypop

Oct 27, 2017
Great vid!

i really liked the dive into the differences between the CD and cartridge ports for SEGA. The CD version actually had notable improvements (Shang Tsung load times aside).

i do wonder what Boon's exact concerns were with the ports before they released. What specifically was he unhappy about that could be fixed?

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I hadn't seen the original arcade version of MK1 in so long I forgot big and smooth those sprites looked.

We're supposedly getting a new port on modern platforms and PC right?

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
Arcade MK1 still looks great, like surprisingly good coming from the MD/SNES ports I'm more familiar with. As always the CRT shots spliced in are much appreciated.

I hope MK2 gets its own video along with one for MK3/Ultimate/Trilogy sometime in the future.

Love DF Retro.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
The worst part about MK on Mega Drive was that everyone only had three button controllers.

Now everyone 'pretends' Mega Drive always had the six button pad, but it's not how 99.9% of people played MK in 1993. Start to block, Jeb Bush Christ.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
The worst part about MK on Mega Drive was that everyone only had three button controllers.

Now everyone 'pretends' Mega Drive always had the six button pad, but it's not how 99.9% of people played MK in 1993. Start to block, Jeb Bush Christ.

Practically everyone that I knew that had MK or SF2 had a 6-button controller.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on which system you got. The CDX came with a six-button controller as standard. I never knew that it was "supposed" to be only three buttons until many years later.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing work John as always!

And I had no idea that Sgt. Martin from Band of Brothers hosted a video game show before hahaha

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Great video. I watched it earlier today. I've never played the Genesis port not the handheld versions so I always wondered how they handled 5 button layout of the original game.

On Genesis with the 3-button pad, Start was Block, B was High Kick, and C was Low Kick. A was Low Punch by default, and to do High Punch you had to hold forward while hitting A.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
I played MK1 on Genesis with the 3 button pad. I think it worked fine, since MK1 is such a simple game with simple inputs. MK II is horrible though.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Practically everyone that I knew that had MK or SF2 had a 6-button controller.
The plural of anecdote is not data.

The six button pad had only only just been released in the west at the time MK came out. NO systems came with it, Sega were still releasing consoles in 1995 with the 3 button pad. The only way anyone could have two 6Bs for multiplayer would be to buy two extra controllers on top of those that came with the system. A surely vanishingly small number in 1993.

There's a reason the 3 button pad came with the mini in most places. That was the nostalgia controller that everyone had.

I played MK1 on Genesis with the 3 button pad. I think it worked fine, since MK1 is such a simple game with simple inputs. MK II is horrible though.
Start to block was super awkward.
(even worse if you had a cheap third party 'little brother' pad where start was even further away from ABC lol)

Last edited:

FeenixRisen

McDonalds looks really average next to Wendys
Oct 25, 2017
I actually preferred the Genesis music to the SNES versions in both MK1 and 2.

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
No bootleg NES port? Not interested.

Just kidding, I'm enjoying the video so far, it's very insightful! I only played the Genesis version, and a bootleg one on the NES before that.

Great job as always John!

EDIT: I'll be damned, they are there. 🤣

I played the Yoko version if my memory serves me right.

Last edited:

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Honestly, aside from the fact that you can't do one of Kung Lao's fatalities in MKII with the three-button controller, I prefer using the three-button controller for pretty much all of the Mortal Kombat games on Genesis. In hindsight, I do wish they'd taken the MK3/UMK3 approach by mapping the A, B and C buttons as follows:

A = Low Punch
B = Block
C = Low Kick

A + B = High Punch
B + C = High Kick

With the A, B and C buttons being so large and in such close proximity to one another, I think this approach worked really well in MK3 and UMK3.

That said, I think the control scheme they decided on for MK and MKII works fine, as I don't think the crouching low punch was very useful to most people.

I actually preferred the Genesis music to the SNES versions in both MK1 and 2.
I agree with MK1. In fact, MK1 Genesis soundtrack is probably better than arcade. Genesis Pit is AWESOME.
Yeah, I'll never pass on an opportunity to mention the music in the Genesis versions of MK and MKII. I wish they'd include the Genesis soundtrack as an option for an updated release of MK and MKII.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Fantastic video!!

fun fact: there is even a Mortal Kombat 2 for the Amiga 500 family...!

Jun 2, 2019
Whew, that was even more comprehensive than the Doom video. Great video Dark1x

I had the Mega Drive version of Mortal Kombat but ended up selling it. For how graphically awesome Mortal Kombat was, i can't stand the graphics of this version, at least on a flat panel

I've been wanting my classic Mortal Kombat fix lately. Seems like the DOS version is pretty decent and i have the whole trilogy in GOG. Now, making it work with a controller is another whole story.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Really enjoyed this DF retro. Nice work as always Dark1x

Btw.. did you know there was a ZX spectrum version of the game? it was released in March 1997.. made by 2 young guys.

A Russian demo group made a demo that looked a lot better.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
That was a fantastic detailed video. Thanks for the huge effort Dark1x

As a kid I didn't get to play MK until the 3rd one so missed the whole thing about the SNES one here. The fact that it got all the way to a US congressional hearing is nuts.

Edit: The Arcade version looks so much better and it's not even funny.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing work John as always!

And I had no idea that Sgt. Martin from Band of Brothers hosted a video game show before hahaha

He's an accomplished director too. He directed Rocket Man, Bohemian Rhapsody (at least finished it when Bryan Singer Bryan Singered), Sunshine on Leith, and now doing the third RDJ Sherlock Holmes.

I still think of him as the guy from GamesMaster, which makes it all very weird.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
This was really cool! I never got super into Mortal Kombat (or fighting games in general), but it was a huge deal when I was a kid so I can't exactly deny its impact. This made for a fascinating watch.

I just have a vague memory as a child (like, five years old or so) of renting the first game on Genesis from Blockbuster and somehow getting into some attract mode where it played all the characters' fatalities, and it creeped me out to the point where I shut the game off and didn't play it for the rest of the rental period. I did have fun playing it before that, though!