• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 57990

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 18, 2019
Another hugely enjoyable episode of DF Retro. I always watch them immediately when they appear in my YouTube subscription feed.

John's love of these classic games and the hardware they're running on always shines through.

Last edited:

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The best content creator on YouTube drops another opus on us. We do not deserve DF Retro!

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The first 5-10 minutes of this remind me:

Folks should look into Insert Coin. That movie is going to have a lot of fans on this forum.

Oh man, that looks amazing.

It was Kickstarted too huh? Man, I wish I could try that some day. If I had more than a week to do a video and the ability to travel around for shoots, it could be something really special!

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Oh man, that looks amazing.

It was Kickstarted too huh? Man, I wish I could try that some day. If I had more than a week to do a video and the ability to travel around for shoots, it could be something really special!

Josh and the crew did a top-notch job; the idea of a studio-focused documentary feature is brilliant.

Looking forward to finishing up the DF Retro today!

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Toasty! Really enjoying it so far! Man I can remember when MK hit arcades, well. Like Street Fighter 2, it was a huge hit.

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
Thank you so much Dark1x! Do you plan on making your own YouTube channel? Your content is amazing i just wish we had more lol

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent as always.

I'll never forget seeing MK for the first time at my local 7-11.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished watching it and I'm glad he mentioned the collection.

I have it on PC and couldn't enjoy it

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Great video ! Also made me realize I was 11 when me and my friend first started playing this in some random pool hall in town .

I remeber my parents let me take off school and have my friend come over to play the day it came out for genesis. We weren't too impressed lol

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
Kinda surprised that Mortal Kombat Kollection Online was not mentioned at all but I guess DF doesn't want to piss off WB?
Great video though. Loved it.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Whew, just finished, fantastic video.

I remember that another significant reason people liked the MD version over the SNES one were the DULLARD cheats, remember people discussing the flags at school. Though the blood was defo the primary reason lol.

I'm surprised such a late day DOS port used LA synthesis over GM for midi. I wonder if it had any CM-32L exclusive samples? Will have to try that.

Dark1x Awesome, as expected. Those pirate Famicom versions were a trip, to say the least, and it's shocking that the plug 'n play version held up at all.

I know that the USF2 video went into it a bit, but given the highlight on the PC ports of SF2 that feature in the video here, dare I dream of what would likely be an hour+ of covering the many, many, many versions of that game?

Sapiens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's always a treat when Dark1x descends from Retro Olympus to bestow upon us another lovingly crafted deep dive into classic gaming.

His work is necessary and valuable and I'm certain videos like this will be enjoyed by many for years.

Thank you again, John. You've brightened up my MONTH!

MK1 is a herculean accomplishment in terms of what they got done within a very short span of time. Going from the public knowing nothing of MK to a million selling multi-console release within a YEAR was an astonishing achievement for all involved at Midway/Acclaim. Think about it, MK1 only started to get traction by late 92 - yet they had a decent (not amazing) and playable home release accompanied by a catchy marketing scheme in less than one year.

According to dark1x, Probe/Sculptured probably only had less than 6 months to prep their ports in order to satisfy the long cart manufacturing schedule for a Sept 93 release. Just an amazing thing to consider.

Last edited:

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Damn good video, John.

I kept waiting for you to bring up the Midway Arcade Classics (which I have on PS2), before finally remembering that it doesn't actually include the original, just MK2 and MK3.

I'd love to see you keep going with this, but there's probably not as much to talk about with the sequels and of course they're not as influential as the first game was. I first got into it playing MK2 and MK3 in arcades and really got into it when I got MK3 on the Genesis and later PS1, and MKT on PS1 and N64 (I had both). I had a few of the later titles on console, but it seems I got rid of most of them over the years (something I don't do any more).

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
I kept waiting for you to bring up the Midway Arcade Classics (which I have on PS2), before finally remembering that it doesn't actually include the original, just MK2 and MK3.

It was included in the PC version, but it had exactly the same problems as all the other incarnations based on MAC. I fixed the low volume for the second stage myself, but damn, did they test it at all?

It's so annoying that the classic MK games still don't have perfect official releases. MAME's an option but I'd like to be legit.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Excellent stuff.

Although personally I'm not sure I could say that MK1, in any form, plays like a dream. :P

Last edited:

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
My first experience with MK was my uncle buying me MK1 on Genesis....as a Genesis kid what do i have to do to get the upcoming MK collection to feature the Genesis soundtrack, which is superior to the original MK1 OST?

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
It's so annoying that the classic MK games still don't have perfect official releases. MAME's an option but I'd like to be legit.
Agreed. I still can't get over the fact they did release the Arcade Kollection, which should be pretty simple in this day and age, and still managed to fuck it up.

OP
OP
tapedeck

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Agreed. I still can't get over the fact they did release the Arcade Kollection, which should be pretty simple in this day and age, and still managed to fuck it up.
Yup. It's pretty remarkable how bad those ports are, I was hugely disappointed. I'm still hoping we get a much better release of the arcade games on console sometime in the future.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seeing Mortal Kombat 1 in the arcades for the first time was amazing. The first time I played it, I was being pick pocketed by an older kid. I didn't give a shit and just kept playing.

The gameboy versions of MK1 and MK2 were thoroughly enjoyed by me. I also enjoyed MK1 on Amiga despite the disk swapping. And the MK2 port for SNES was amazing.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Insert Coin is amazing, you're going to love it. Going to watch this on my flight later. We (The Strong Museum) has a lot of the original Midway footage at this point, along with Atari.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot wait to watch this episode. Does John go into the SNES port of MK1's gameplay being broken?

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic video! I'm extremely excited to see a MK2 video now. I've always wanted to know how the Saturn port held up.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, he talks about the awful input latency.

Ah. I was hoping he addressed the unblockable uppercut after a blocked jump kick. And the lack of the fall back animation which would break a cornered fighter setting them free from blocking punches. Without that animation, a player has no choice but to block until all their energy is drained.