• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
No doubt it was hot, the cartoon had been going for over a year at that point and there was word in the wind about a live action movie coming the following year. I always assumed the game was based on the cartoon because the movie didn't release until the following year, am I remembering that correctly? So many decades ago.
That's also how I remember it.

Some of my friends were so hyped for the movie.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i don't like the outrage culture AVGN hath wrought but TMNT was one of the games worth busting some nostalgia bubbles over. everybody came for turtles, and like most NES games back then you kind of swallowed whatever was put in your mouth. would be surprised if like half of anybody back then actually got past the water level

even the DF video posits it's not a particularly well made game

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
for the time TMNT 2 was kind of mindblowing as an arcade port, which is mostly its claim to fame i guess. at that point i don't think anybody even bothered "porting" arcade games to nes except for double dragon but i never played those at the arcade, dunno how that conversion pared out

can't speak to the game's quality as it's been forever but i didn't miss the first game's direction at all
I loooooved that game, but I remember being immensely bummed that it wasn't the same. (I had unrealistic expectations.)

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Probably made it to the grappling hook area once or twice, don't remember how much farther after that.

That reminds me, never did finish that terminator 2 game for new either. Fuck the motorcycle water area

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
You're in a thread for that game and the isometric view is shown 2 minutes into the video in the OP.
Nope, that's not the one. It was this one:

I dont think isometric was the right word, but I remembered the background art being slightly different angle.

TKM

Oct 28, 2017
I remember thinking it was really well made back in the day. Watching DF Retro's video now made me realize how mindless the enemy placement was, but we just enjoyed whatever was on offer. Area 3 was really neat opening up the world and I wish more (or any) game reviewer would make some mention of the large map, driving the turtle van (with its useless pea shooter), collecting missiles to take out barriers (rationing them reminding me of Metroid), and avoid instant turtle death by steamroller. Leaving the safety of the turtle van felt like a real ninja mission.

I don't recall the dam ever being unfair, and do remember farming scrolls with friends. Topped off every turtle and flew by the later enemies.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
I'd still love to see someone from this thread going through all those seaweeds without taking a single hit, though.

Here ya go. I ended up using the NES Mini, as it allowed me to place a save before each batch of seaweed, and it wasn't an eyesore on my TV.

Like I said in the description, I made it through the first and last sets on my first try, but the middle one took me twelve or so. Not terribly difficult. Even on the NES itself that would only take an hour or so to pull off with no save states.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Here ya go. I ended up using the NES Mini, as it allowed me to place a save before each batch of seaweed, and it wasn't an eyesore on my TV.

Like I said in the description, I made it through the first and last sets on my first try, but the middle one took me twelve or so. Not terribly difficult. Even on the NES itself that would only take an hour or so to pull off with no save states.

Without save states you would have been broken after the sixth attempt.

PC98_Audi

Producer @ Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh
I played this again yesterday to see if I could get further now that I refreshed my memory of the game. Got past the Technodrome boss but died right before Shredder. Getting close though!

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
First off Dark1x I will be watching this video during my lunch break at work today.

Secondly, this was a very important game in my childhood. While I agree that it was harder than other games, it meant nothing to 8 year old me. I beat this game so many times in my youth (mainly because it was one of the few that I had, I also was madly in love with the Ninja Turtles), that when I got older (i.e. on message boards) I didn't realize how many people had an issue with the game.

I had strats on every stage, how to get through and maneuver through the stages quickly, when and where to lose a Turtle (always use Raph to do the damn sequence; even if you lose him, you can get him back either in the water or on the very next stage in the city), how to quickly find the Technodrome on Stage 5, everything.

I still like going back and playing it every now and again.

(Don is superior. Despite lack of range, Mikey hits harder than Leo. They nerfed Raph and should've had him actually cause the most damage due to range, or either buffed his defense. Eh.)

SolidSeminole

Oct 25, 2017
I could get to the inside of the technodrome with no help. It took me a while to do it. Later after I got a game genie, I went back and beat the game! Same thing with Battletoads.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
I have never in my life seen beyond that underwater bomb sequence.
I'm surprised they mentioned it and mirrored my own thoughts on it: it's not that hard, just needs a bit of planning and to not panic. As a kid I had no issues getting to Stage 3, but that was always where it ended for me because there were some things I just never got past for whatever reason (and not that non-jump!).