• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

It's the late 1980s: the Nintendo Entertainment System/Famicom is the most popular console in the world and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are the latest TV/comic sensation - with a movie in the works! One of the best game developers of the era, Konami, has the console rights... but the end product doesn't quite live up to expectations. Join John Linneman and guest Audi Sorlie from Sekai Games for a return visit to NES Turtlemania!

Subscribe for more Digital Foundry and DF Retro: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly and get access to pristine quality video downloads: https://www.digitalfoundry.net

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
tumblr_olpdcwUFNd1s8s7c3o1_250.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Terrible game. Remember getting it and honestly despised it.

Going to a beat em up was the best decision they ever made.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to watching this when I get some time. I played this game so much when I was a kid. Damn Underwater section (not a typo) I never thought was that hard, you just gotta memorize where to go and don't forget to switch.

After that part though, I remember the game getting really hard and I've never made it much further past the dam lol.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
Looking forward to watching this when I get some time. I played this game so much when I was a kid. Damn Underwater section (not a typo) I never thought was that hard, you just gotta memorize where to go and don't forget to switch.

After that part though, I remember the game getting really hard and I've never made it much further past the dam lol.
Yeah I dont remember having much trouble with the underwater level as a kid, its everything after it thats hard. I never really understood how that level got such a reputation for being impossible. I mean I could see it being challenging for people, or someone not being able to find the bombs, but not to the degree its reputation has become. I guess its a battletoads situation with the turbo tunnels, where it was the first wall players ran into for the game.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ah yes, the game the AVGN ruined. Is it amazing? No. But it's way better than people think just because of a old ass video.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
As a UK NES owner I remember spending a fucking fortune on this in Toys R Us. I foolishly thought this was a version of the awesome arcade Turtles game. Turns out it was just a hard as hell something else. So depressing. I still rate this as my most despised video game purchase.

Commodore64

Oct 25, 2017
I got to the final area of this game but could never beat that first boss without using Donatello.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
I grew up playing the ZX Spectrum version. I seem to remember the dam level was even harder than it was in the NES version, which I ended up owning a year or two later as well.

Looking forward to watching this video. The AVGN review of the NES Turtles game is one of the all time greats.

Oct 26, 2017
First video game I ever completed, after months of playing it. It didn't help that for the first few weeks any time my little brother was in the room our parents made me share lives/turtles with him, each playing until our turtle got captured, and that little asshole would always get Donatello caught and leave me that useless prick Raphael.

The Technodrome interior is bullshit.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i didn't know Turtles wasn't particularly a hit yet when it was developed. interesting how that paid off for konami

recently learned the movie was made in a similar circumstance as well

PC98_Audi

Producer @ Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh
i didn't know Turtles wasn't particularly a hit yet when it was developed. interesting how that paid off for konami

recently learned the movie was made in a similar circumstance as well
The movie and the game teams actually communicated more with each other than Mirage and Surge licensing which is one of the reasons they share some scenes,as well as the eventual arcade game.

A few years ago, I spoke to all of the devs, director of the movie and Kevin Eastman for my hardcore gaming 101 tmnt retrospective

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Really fascinating tidbit with that Getsufuu Maden game. As someone that grew up with TMNT nes as a kid, i'm really curious on trying it out but sadly don't own a Famicom or any of the means to play it through all the Japanese VC releases. Seems like a interesting title they could have brought to the west back then. Oh well.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I never had too much trouble beating the bomb defusal part, it was just that it took so much health away that I would always Game Over in the section that immediately followed it. Never did get to the Technodrome.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The challenge in the underwater level if more of a meme than anything. It's perfectly doable even as a kid back then although more than likely you'd end up with a crippled team, since the turtles don't regain health between levels. Moronic. The rest of the game is way harder. Just one of those "classic" games at the time where much of it is obtuse and poorly designed in general.

I can't believe I never noticed this thing ran at 30fps but that certainly explains why it felt so sluggish. Plus the obvious slowdown.

I think back in the day I think I only managed to get to level 4 at best.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Which TMNT game was isometric? I remember playing that.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I remember beating this as a kid. It took me almost a year. I don't think I would have the patience to beat this game again.

Norse

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Norway
I remember buying it for my C64 (tape I think). A beautiful box. I liked the game back then, mostly because I loved TMNT
I guess. I don't think I even got to the underwater part 🙂

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
The funny thing about the underwater part of the dam level is that it really isn't that difficult, especially once you learn where all the bombs are. It gets kinda tricky towards the end, but not super difficult.

Super Craig

Oct 27, 2017
I've never got the fuss over the water level. I don't remember having any issues with it and can probably do it without taking a single hit. I can never get any further than the beginning of the Technodrome though. :(

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I've never got the fuss over the water level. I don't remember having any issues with it and can probably do it without taking a single hit. I can never get any further than the beginning of the Technodrome though. :(
The water level was really hard.

But you are also right that the game gets even harder after that.

The Technodrome was the real bullshit.

Even that was probably doable but without saves at a certain point I was like fuck this game.

Oct 25, 2017
This game isn't as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. It's hard as sin, but so was a ton of other NES games, and it has a lot of cool concepts in it. I wish they would have tried to expand on its ideas in another platformer.

Oh and the Technodrome as a boss fight was really cool.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
Nice work Dark1x! Wish you had some CRT footage of it though, always love it when you cut away to your PVM/BVM in your other videos.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Nice work Dark1x! Wish you had some CRT footage of it though, always love it when you cut away to your PVM/BVM in your other videos.
Ahhh, yeah. We were playing on the plasma downstairs due to the heat wave otherwise I would have setup a camera as I usually play on CRTs for capture!

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
This is easily the most popular "not very good" game there is, so many people have played it. even before AVGN i think a lot of people played this, at least i did when i was young.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I got to the Technodrome one time and considered that "beating the game" because I knew I would never do any better.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I haven't seen the video yet but I really enjoy this game. I love how ambitious it was with a semi open world you could explore. Having to find certain items in order to progress, find hidden super powerful sub weapons, being able to rescue defeated Turtles if you knew where to look. They could've just gone the standard licensed platformer route, but instead they made something far more ambitious.

and the like. It's the prime example of a game you have to learn and adjust to. It doesn't hold your hand in any way. It's such a shame that they didn't expand on this game in a real sequel and instead just went with the standard beat'em up route. Now Turtles in Time (the SNES version) is a classic don't get me wrong, but it would've been so great to see a real sequel to the first TMNT.

It's such a shame it's gotten such a bad rep, no doubt magnified because of the thousands of videos like AVGN and the like.

Had this game been released today the whining would've been insane based on just the first three levels. People would've been livid that they ddin't know what to do or where to go.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's such a shame it's gotten such a bad rep, no doubt magnified because of the thousands of videos like AVGN and the like.

Had this game been released today the whining would've been insane based on just the first three levels. People would've been livid that they ddin't know what to do or where to go.
Well, to be fair...I DO like the game but it has a lot of deep flaws. It runs slower than most NES games (30fps with flicker and drops), the enemy spawning is terrible (no thought placed into enemy placement), flawed jumping mechanics and more. That said, I like what they were attempting and it's interesting to revisit.

I do think it gets dramatically harder after the water stage. The level where you need to find the Technodrome is just insanity.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Well, to be fair...I DO like the game but it has a lot of deep flaws. It runs slower than most NES games (30fps with flicker and drops), the enemy spawning is terrible (no thought placed into enemy placement), flawed jumping mechanics and more. That said, I like what they were attempting and it's interesting to revisit.

I do think it gets dramatically harder after the water stage. The level where you need to find the Technodrome is just insanity.
Oh there's no denying that the later parts are very very hard. I do think at least the three first levels are completely beatable without much trouble as long as you get familiar with how the game controls and works.
The controls and technical "problems" in the game never bothered me at all, that was just how it was and a part of how the game played to me.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I couldn't ever get past that orange hallway, the very last room in the game before the final boss Shredder. Just way too much junk thrown at you at once, especially those astronaut guys and their super-powerful lasers.

But besides that, I love the game. It's my favorite Turtles game, though to be fair I don't like beat-em-ups.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Oh there's no denying that the later parts are very very hard. I do think at least the three first levels are completely beatable without much trouble as long as you get familiar with how the game controls and works.
The controls and technical "problems" in the game never bothered me at all, that was just how it was and a part of how the game played to me.
Yeah, I know, it's just unusual for a Konami game to run like this especially for 1989. Pretty much every side scroller they developed was a mostly smooth 60fps (like most games on NES). So it's strange that this is half that. Never understood what happened there.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Really curious if there is a definitive list of NES games that run at 30FPS. The only games i know is this and Double Dragon.

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
I would like DF retro to one day do something on the home computer versions of arcade games that were released in europe. While the US was busy playing the NES us euros were busy on c64's, spectrums and CPS's. There are also some amazing games on the 8 bits in their own right. You cannot really talk about video games without talking about the massive influence those machines and their games had on later games. GTA was heavily influenced by some home computer games for example.

Jazar

Oct 25, 2017
South Florida
We would get past the water level. It was after that there was a part jumping on building rooftops that we could never make the jump and lost all our lives. Never got past that. The frustrating thing was not being able to continue. After you lost your lives it was game over start from the beginning. D: