• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

DF Retro's very own John Linneman teams up with Sekai Games' Audi Sorlie to revisit one of the Sega Genesis' finest games - the brilliant Rocket Knight Adventures from Konami. Essential retro viewing!

Subscribe for more Digital Foundry and more DF Retro: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly and get pristine quality video downloads of everything we do: https://www.digitalfoundry.net

Naked Snake

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted this game so bad when I had a mega drive but never ended up owning it or playing it.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Wonderful wonderful game. Loved it as a kid. Hard as balls though. It's so unforgiving that I had to wonder how anyone managed to complete it through honest means.

I really want to enjoy this game, but it just becomes tedious to me for some reason - and that's unfortunate. Usually it's at the vine waterfall level with the mid-boss where I say - meh, I'm good.

I love the graphics and music, but I think the Rocket mechanic is too finicky for my tastes.

I'm excited to watch this, though! Sometimes these videos revitalize my perspective on the game.

Thanks again, DF Retro, for doing what you do. I really enjoy all the videos you produce!

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You know, I used to be a Nintendo guy back in the 16-bit days, but I'm always consistently blown away by these crazy technical wonders on the Genesis, in a way that I never really was with the SNES. Look at all these crazy effects in this game, I'm always impressed by the line scrolling/layering effects and sheer amount of sprites and speed I see in some Genesis titles. It's like some devs were making a statement.

Last edited:

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
You know, I used to be a Nintendo guy back in the 16-bit days, but I'm always consistently blown away by these crazy technical wonders on the Genesis. Look at all these crazy effects in this game, I'm always impressed by the line scrolling/layering effects and sheer amount of sprites and speed I see in some Genesis titles. It's like some devs were making a statement.

i think the primary difference between enjoying the SNES and Genesis is that most of the best games of SNES are the famous marquee titles and the Genesis requires a little more deep diving.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Gosh I still love this game so much. Had a ton of fun relaying it even if the final gauntlet took a couple tries. It's brutal at the end there.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Love the video, and the game. It looks like a typical mascot platformer but is more of a hardcore action game. It's one of those games I never sold and still have my original copy.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
As a long time gamer, these are my favorite types of games and probably why the 16bit gen is my favorite generation.

The games are designed around the gameplay. Rocket Knight has a bunch of interconnected gameplay mechanics (I can't really remember a game that played like it before it came out) and the entire game is designed around them. The feeling you get when you master the rocket mechanic is such a great feeling and there is nothing to prevent you from doing that stuff right from the start. The game continually tests your mastery of the controls and I always thought it was pretty fair.

Love these videos. Its a wonder how much content DF creates. They need to do a behind the scenes one day to let people know how the hell they produce so much high quality content.

Oct 27, 2017
Game is a masterwork of level design and mechanics. It teaches you how to master the rocket without a single tutorial. And once you do master it, the game reaches a new peak.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
One of the best games from that generation. The game throws in so many new creative ideas that could be their own game and then just ditches it for something else creative and fun. It's a shame it's not been re-released in a meaningful way so more could experience it

was hoping it would have made it into the genesis mini

PC98_Audi

Producer @ Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh
I had never really played RKA before John showed it to me during this recording session and I immediately picked up a copy. One of my best purchases in 2019.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Fun video, you're pretty damn good at it to be able to do a playthrough in just over an hour while giving such great narration.

RKA is one of my fave games ever. Rocket movement is super satisfying, as are all the cool little touches they put into it, like the pigs being beaten into their underpants and running away from you, but you can still go ahead and overkill them lol.

Catalix

Oct 28, 2017
That Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots boss battle blew my freakin mind as a kid!

SentimentalFantasticAdmiralbutterfly-size_restricted.gif

Love this game dearly. One of my favorites of all time. Excellent variety and pacing. Challenging, but not unfair. Just a masterclass in design top to bottom.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
This not being in the Mini is a tragedy, and legit made me skip the console.

My favorite game with Sonic from the 16 bit era. Such an inventive game, it should have been a aclaimed classic, not a forgotten gem.

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While I never owned it I did borrow it often from a friend. Amazing game and soo fun to play.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Quite a few older games have 1ups that respawn if you die. Rocket Knight Adventures takes full advantage of this.

EFkXHLHXkAAfGOF

Well look at that. It's a 1up just ripe for the taking.

EFkXqtBXoAAUfjt

Wait. What? What the heck is that? I had no idea this thing was invincible, and that it would kill me in one hit.

EFkYcJFXkAIYg_O

Sure enough, I respawn right back at the 1up.

This is how Rocket Knight Adventures tends to introduce new dangers. The game places an easy 1up directly before them. It's a subtle and brilliant method for teaching the player. They're punished for their mistake, but they don't actually lose anything, which is important in a game with limited lives and continues. This is all done without dialogue, or pop-up text, or any of that other junk.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
"Situation rush" is such a great descriptor, I'm totally stealing it for the future. I was playing Minit earlier today for the first time and I'd say it fits the bill pretty well.

Look! The Pie!

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic game with some of the most fun and imaginative bosses of that era. Sparkster was such a disappointment in comparison.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I remember renting this game out in a really random video rental store because I liked the cover artwork and I recognized the konami logo and was not used to seeing that logo in mega drive games. The game blew my socks off, it was so good. I kept renting it instead of buying it for good, really dumb of me because I would love to have it in my collection.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
yeah this game was so good, not having it on the mini is a disgrace !

Broman1978

Nov 11, 2017
Only thing I could not beat back in the days (got this game a saturday morning at my 15th birthday) was Crazy Hard!!! It really was..... Crazy HARD 😵😂 Really loved this game.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Another one of (personally) the Mega Drive's GOAT's.

And this is why I dont give 2 shits about mini consoles, being at the mercy of what they decide to put on them sucks, and without any form of online store to buy additional games, it will end up gathering dust when you are done with it (or replaced with another release of the same console).

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
I was shocked at how much better this game is than the snes sequel. I know people said this at GAF too back in the day. i haven't finished it as I ended with game over but was an incredible fun adventure.

Rlan

Oct 27, 2017
Wellington, New Zealand
I'm weird where I really like Sparkster Genesis a lot more than the rest. I think it's because it's more Sonic-like in the way you boost around stages and the like.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
I never thought about this before but it does feel kind of evident now that Sonic & Knuckles might have taken some cues from this game. The fish boss with the platforms in particular is very much in the vein of the Lava Reef Act 2 boss, and I can't quite think of any other games that use this particular mechanic/gimmick for boss encounters.

The one thing that bothers me about RKA visually is that the character animation animation feels a bit flimsy and unrefined, almost as if the animations were not implemented the way the artist originally envisioned. Sparkster (on Genesis) does this better and the animations just feel like they give more weight to the interactions.

Also a side note regarding the music is that this is one of the few (perhaps the only I can think of) Konami games on the system that uses both the FM and PSG chips. It makes the music sound much richer when they have more total voices to work with. Pretty much every other Konami game only uses the 6 FM channels, and in the case of Bloodlines they only use 5 for the ingame music.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly didn't really know there were difficulty differences between regions, only knew about the stage titles.

Hope John goes around doing a RKA2 playthrough, it's really not as good as the first game but it's a quite interesting game (unlike IMO the blander SNES version).

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
I never had an appreciation for this game - I've always found it too hard to enjoy. But watching John's LP made me look at it differently and more favorably. Even though I might not be good at the game (John's muscle memory is AMAZING), I now can see why it's so revered. Thanks John, love the format - the inter-cut clips really help with the history and background you're discussing, and the conversation between the two of you is great.

PC98_Audi

Producer @ Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh
I been getting a few private messages asking to check up on John, so just noting that while I wasn't aware there was any sort of silly lowrent youtuber going after him until this morning, he's fine and up on his feet like Alfred Chicken on a Super Nintendo. I'll be going over to see him on Wednesday to work on some more videos and Let's Plays so don't you worry, he's in my custody.

J36Xa8r.jpg

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Loveee this game. The US version has borked difficulty compared to the Japanese and European (see: Australian) versions right? I was always confused by people saying this was super hard. I think American normal = Australian hard, and Hard = Very Hard. There was also a crazy hard mode. Been a while, maybe my details are off slightly. Anyway, the difficulty balance was good in the Aus version but it sounds kind of busted in the US release.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Loveee this game. The US version has borked difficulty compared to the Japanese and European (see: Australian) versions right? I was always confused by people saying this was super hard. I think American normal = Australian hard, and Hard = Very Hard. There was also a crazy hard mode. Been a while, maybe my details are off slightly. Anyway, the difficulty balance was good in the Aus version but it sounds kind of busted in the US release.

JP has Easy and Hard difficulties by default, and you have to unlock Very Hard and Crazy Hard by clearing subsequent difficulties (or entering a code).

PAL is the same, but they renamed Easy to Normal and changed it so you can't face the endgame on that difficulty.

NA renames the difficulties to Children, Easy, Normal and Hard and makes you play on Easy or above to face the endgame, but you can pick any difficulty from the start and the difficulty settings aren't actually any different aside from the name and maybe continue count IIRC.

The Japanese version also has a stage select code that's not in the other versions, so it's easier that way.

Last edited: