• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
SiG

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised by how long this video is. This is perhaps the lengthiest DF Retro epsiode ever produced.

Dark1x if you can see this, know your work is greatly appreciated!

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit those PS2/Xbox ports are horrendous!

Also, sounds like the next DF Retro is about the CD-i?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Finished. Watched this on my TV.

Really great stuff.

Never heard of Streetwise. Looked like a crappy GTA clone lol.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
Love the CRT footage.

I really like the look of Revenge it has that low poly SF EX 1/2/Rival Schools charm, wish I grabbed a copy of it years ago.

Mar 5, 2019
Great episode as always.

The SNES version also has some pretty terrible slowdown in the later stages that make it very frustrating to play.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Incredible work by John as usual.
DF Retro is a treasure (as is DF as whole).

I still remember seeing FF in an arcade for the first time and being impressed by the size of the sprites.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing video DF continues the great work. Some of the ports look fascinating didnt know the ports had additions like the Sega CD and GBA versions.

Mar 31, 2018
I'm surprised by how long this video is. This is perhaps the lengthiest DF Retro epsiode ever produced.

Dark1x if you can see this, know your work is greatly appreciated!

I'll co sign this. I watch every DF vid, even for games I don't like. Their analysis is fascinating regardless. This particular video was really in depth and I agree with John about the first game in the series being the best. The sprites and color palette are among my faves of the era.

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
John and co. outdid themselves on this one. I'm not that big on Final Fight/brawlers in general, but this has got to be one of the best DF Retro episodes until now, if not the best one. Holy fuck.

OP
OP
SiG

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I'll co sign this. I watch every DF vid, even for games I don't like. Their analysis is fascinating regardless. This particular video was really in depth and I agree with John about the first game in the series being the best. The sprites and color palette are among my faves of the era.
I hope John, Richard and Alex team up with Jeremy Parish one day to give us a very special Digital Foundry Retro/Retronauts episode.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
If the whole video used the Sega CDs version music, I will be a happy, happy man

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Only watched up to 1:24, but I gotta say, that intro was god-tier.

I love John, he's such a goof ball.

Cant wait to watch the rest.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I had no idea Final Fight got an Amstrad port. I was a sucker for awful arcade-to-Amstrad ports back in the day. So much disappointment.

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
This was the best DF Retro yet. It also rekindles my desire for a new 3D Muscle Bomber wrestling game from Capcom. One that is simple and fun to play.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That was so good. Bought Audi's book (shameless plug worked) and the 5CD FF soundtrack as a result.

Hope you all get that burger one day!

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Glad they gave a mention to the movie. I posted about it a few years ago, and no one cared it lol

www.resetera.com

Broken Gear (Final Fight Movie)

Has this been posted here? I just found it by accident, and so far it is definitely interesting. A realistic gritty look of Final Fight. I am 5 mins in, but judging from the comments, it is apparently very good. Send me with Poison if Old.

Karsha

May 1, 2020
I never heard about that "7 sons" game, such a shame it looked better than Streetwise lol... Still the first is the best and its not even close, the mood, the music, the stage design, it really made it look like a long night of fighting leading to the next day when you enter the upper NYC . Its still my favorite beat em up in general, the pacing was just perfect

Oct 28, 2017
The Amiga version is probably most notable for the ridiculously long developer message tucked away on the disk, with a breakdown of the CPS hardware (remember this was way before you could just look that stuff up on the internet), some details of the conversion process, and random stuff like Thomas Dolby lyrics.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Enjoyed the episode and fired the game up on Switch through the Capcom Belt Action Collection and it kinda sucked. Played it for the first time and I think it doesn't play that great and the music was also underwhelming. Well, it's from 89 so it's understandable (and still impressive for the time it was released).

I played the japanese version, is there any difference in difficulty compared to the US version?

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
in retropsect it's nuts my friends and i played the everloving F out of the snes version (from 3rd grade up til college) and i don't think we ever once commented on lack of 2 player. not to mention its other drawbacks

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So what Capcom should totally do... Is make Street Fighter 6 and the Single-Player/Co-Op mode a new Final Fight.