• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
absolutely fantastic. thank you so much for this. between this and the jordan doc, today has been a very nostalgia-heavy day.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dark1x

Just an update to say I just got done watching the whole video and wow! That's your finest work to date imo and one of the best gaming documentaries I've ever seen. Gave me chills at the end as someone who experienced all the lead up and hype to the original games release.

Very well done, John.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
PC Music > PSX Music (with some exceptions like Jenova or OWA). I hope there's atleast a dozen of us thinking that lol

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it, great video. I have a yamaha MU2000EX and one-winged angel aside, the XG soundtrack is ace, I actually prefer it to the PSX one.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished watching the whole thing. Excellent work as always (and my new favorite DF Retro?). Huuuuge props to you Dark1x :)

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Great video as always Dark1x
Regarding the music on PC, I tried to record a comparison with it a while ago, but ran into issues with Windows 98 not working on Ryzen (natively or via virtualization) and PCem not running at full speed and having audio glitches.
But, if I recall correctly, the driver defaulted to a 22kHz XG-Lite mode with a limited number of channels rather than full 44.1kHz XG mode with 128 channels, and was supposed to be used in General MIDI mode, not XG MIDI mode - at least when using those defaults.
I don't know if the game used those capabilities at all, but was curious to see if it made a difference

EDIT: I found a post with specs on another forum:
S-YXG70
<XGlite>
Tone Generation: Wave Table
Number of Voices: 360 Melody voices + 11 Drum/SFX kits
Multi-timbral Parts: 16
Maximum Polyphony: 32 notes
Effect Processor: Reverb
Sampling Rate: 22/ 11kHz
Direct Sound (R): ON/OFF
<XG>
Tone Generation: Wave Table
Number of Voices: 676 Melody Voices + 42 SFX Voices + 21 Drum/SFX Kits
Multi-timbral Parts: 16
Maximum Polyphony: 128 notes
Effect Processor: 8 Chorus + 8 Reverb + 36 Variation Effect
Sampling Rate: 44/ 22/ 11kHz
Digital Dynamic Filter: Applied to each MIDI voice
Direct Sound (R): ON/OFF

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Great video as always Dark1x
Regarding the music on PC, I tried to record a comparison with it a while ago, but ran into issues with Windows 98 not working on Ryzen (natively or via virtualization) and PCem not running at full speed and having audio glitches.
But, if I recall correctly, the driver defaulted to a 22kHz XG-Lite mode with a limited number of channels rather than full 44.1kHz XG mode with 128 channels, and was supposed to be used in General MIDI mode, not XG MIDI mode - at least when using those defaults.
I don't know if the game used those capabilities at all, but was curious to see if it made a difference

EDIT: I found a post with specs on another forum:
Yep, that is correct. For whatever reason, I could only get 22HKz XG-Lite working in the game. In the music player that comes with it, however, you can select the other option and it did work externally. So that was neat.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, that is correct. For whatever reason, I could only get 22HKz XG-Lite working in the game. In the music player that comes with it, however, you can select the other option and it did work externally. So that was neat.
Ah, okay.
The video showed you using XG MIDI with the driver in the FF7 settings tool, rather than General MIDI option - so I wondered if you had it running in XG Mode (XG MIDI) rather than XG-Lite (General MIDI).

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Cool video! Made me jump right back into FF7R as soon as I finished watching it (and I still have the original on Switch to finish).

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad this finally went up! Took a while to make but here we are! Rest assured, there are no spoilers relating to the Remake for people that haven't played it yet. Remake doesn't even show up until very late in the video.
I watched it earlier today. Awesome content John! Thank you very much!

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Ah, okay.
The video showed you using XG MIDI with the driver in the FF7 settings tool, rather than General MIDI option - so I wondered if you had it running in XG Mode (XG MIDI) rather than XG-Lite (General MIDI).
Maybe I have it backwards but, yeah, it only sounded right using XG in its default mode. Selecting General Midi sounded a lot worse when using this driver.

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
Hi DF, is there any chance that the 'background' of this image:

is available as an emulation filter (e.g. for RetroArch)? It looks stunning!

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Pretty good review, the point about how ports should be based on PS1 is true, but im pretty sure they lost the source code for that, big shame on Square's part.
The updated Steam port which console versions are now based off is still full of issues.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Glad this finally went up! Took a while to make but here we are! Rest assured, there are no spoilers relating to the Remake for people that haven't played it yet. Remake doesn't even show up until very late in the video.

Good to know, was a bit worried about that. Can't wait to watch it, I'm sure it's fantastic.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
John's DF retro videos are simply the best out there! I love the quality of these videos! I learned some new things about FF7 also.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Another excellent DF Retro video. I imagine given the topic, it will be one of their most popular ones. Hopefully it attract some people to watch some of their more niche content, too.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely fantastic job! I really really enjoyed spending a lazy Sunday afternoon watching this. This really made my day

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Really great vid, I love stuff like this. There's not enough vid's like this about the history of games.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not a JRPG, FF, or FF7 fan at all (and yes, I played it at release) but that video was wonderful and I loved every second of it. John, you're one of the best content creators on all of YouTube.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
Finally watched it and what great fun it was!

One additional difference between the english PS1 and PC release is the updated script/translation that fixes quite a few errors/weird stuff that was in the original PS1 version. An overview of some of the changes can be found here.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Awesome video and great work as always Dark10x.

One thing that jumped out at me was the fact that the Western release of the game was made easier than the original Japanese release. That surprised me since I remember reading the GameFan review back in 97 and they stated that one of the many improvements the US release made to the game was making it more difficult (they cited that the original Japanese last boss could be killed with a single KOTOR summon, whereas the Western release took at least four KOTORs to kill).

I went looking around online for what was changed and most places just cite that the random battle encounters were reduced in the Western release and some bosses had their weaknesses more obvious or simplified. Nowhere mentioned whether the reduced random battles come hand in hand with increased XP or gold, and I wonder if that meant the reduced encounters actually had the inverse effect of making the Western release slightly more difficult for someone to casually just go through the game (since you'd be at lower levels).

Does anyone have any insight on the specifics?

Nov 5, 2017
5/5, a masterpiece of a retrospective. You could tell that this was created with passion and genuine appreciation of the game and franchise. Wow! One of the best retrospectives of all time, not just for Digital Foundry IMHO. Thanks, DF!

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
I think transcribing the music to modules would have been the most effective way to match the PS1 music since that lets you use bespoke samples like vocals rather than being beholden nondescript external wavetables like MIDI does. File size might still have been an issue in the end though given the sheer volume of tracks and how modules would each contain their own unique instances of samples. I'm not sure if there could be some way to make them load from a global library instead to cut down on needless duplicate data.

Modules were also still a rather exotic concept in America at the time. The only studios I know of that made use of them were Epic and Origin. I'm not sure which specific studio handled the FF7 PC port. I think Eidos was a British publisher at the time, but it's possible the port was handled by a US studio under their umbrella?

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Great video! Year of Dreams, huh. I only tolerate The Last Guardian and essentially dislike the 2 more famous reveals of that year. I didn´t even buy into the 2 trailers back then. Oh well. I also can´t agree with your positive assessment of Dirge but the 2 Gackt songs are legit:
www.youtube.com

Gackt - Longing , Final Fantasy VII Dirge Of Cerebrus

video made by a freind of mineasked me to upload ithope you enjoy~please comment, favorite, or subscribe
www.youtube.com

GACKT「REDEMPTION」 MUSIC VIDEO

6年ぶり待望のシングル・コレクション第二弾!2010年7月21日リリース「THE ELEVENTH DAY~SINGLE COLLECTION~」収録GACKTオフィシャルHP:http://gackt.com
There are 2 books that are part of the Compilation of FF VII. The Denzel OVA you mention adapts a chapter from the first one named On the Way to a Smile. That one I do recommend. The totally forgotten Turks one is trash though:
finalfantasy.fandom.com

Final Fantasy VII: On the Way to a Smile

A series of short stories filling the gaps between the hit video game Final Fantasy VII and its cinematic follow-up Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, this is an absolute must-own for any enthusiast of the Final Fantasy franchise!Description Final Fantasy VII: On the Way to a Smile is a series...
finalfantasy.fandom.com

Final Fantasy VII The Kids Are Alright: A Turks Side Story

I thought my place in the world was gone, but the world is so much bigger than I ever realized.Evan Townshend is just one of many who lost everything during Meteorfall two years ago, and like the others, he has had to rebuild his life. In his case, this means working for Mireille's Investigative...

Speaking of SE´s CG work that you bring up at the end. SE´s in-game graphics still have to match their CG work of 2009. FF XIII is a mess but the cutscenes hold up to this day:
www.youtube.com

Final Fantasy XIII CGI-Cutscene HD - Welcome to Gran Pulse

My 3rd fave video in this gamex3All rights go to SEDonwloadlink for every CGI-Scene:http://finalfantasy-xiii.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15515
The gap isn´t that high but still noticable.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man I'll be honest digital foundry and these retro deep dives really are some of the best shit on YouTube.

dammitmattt

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely fantastic video, John. I know you put not only your heart, but dozens of hours into this. It was a great companion piece to 500 Years Later as well as the actual new game, but this makes me want to replay FF7 for the first time in a decade.

Keep it up, you're the best!