• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Glad this finally went up! Took a while to make but here we are! Rest assured, there are no spoilers relating to the Remake for people that haven't played it yet. Remake doesn't even show up until very late in the video.

Neoshockwave

Oct 28, 2017
Glad this finally went up! Took a while to make but here we are! Rest assured, there are no spoilers relating to the Remake for people that haven't played it yet. Remake doesn't even show up until very late in the video.

Came to this thread looking for this very answer -- thanks! Looking forward to jumping in later.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah the game loses a lot visually for me in the non PlayStation versions. The dithering alone makes huge a difference for me.

Last edited:

PC98_Audi

Producer @ Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh
Be sure to check out Dark1x's thread on Twitter with production notes too!

twitter.com

John Linneman on Twitter

“At last, Episode 55 of DF Retro is live! Nearly an hour covering everything FF7. Just for fun, I'm going to run through some fun anecdotes from the making of this video right here... https://t.co/3a3AhfKxt8 https://t.co/Kc0M79fand”

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019

DAC: Ready
Sennheiser HD6XX: Ready

You have no idea how long I've waited for you to do this one. Thank you so much. I will always be a fan of your work.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Dark1x

Thanks for the video. Your effort doing these is greatly appreciated. I tired of the head to head videos a while ago. You're the reason I keep watching DF!

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
I remember buying this on PC and being to select 2/4/8 MB soundfonts — and it sounded amazing! Not sure wtf soundcard I had but this was a 90Mhz Pentium Compaq Presario.

Even the One Winged Angel song had vocals. I remember being blown away.

Esit: I still have my discs. Wonder if they work on Windows 10

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
That was really good!

Dark1x I really liked the music player haha. Using the FFVII font and text windows. Very clever.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I love how you say the models look great, John. It's like you go read one of the threads on here filled with 8 year olds who are like "uglo grafix" and I want to kill myself.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
You know what, digital foundry will be my first patreon. I don't know why I haven't done it sooner. Great work John.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
Just finished it. Just as you said, playing FFVIIR for us who played FFVII back in the 1997 was such a powerful experience. I think it's in fact the most powerful gaming experience I ever had in my life. And that 2015 moment, when they played the trailer in the middle of the conference. I remember spotting the slide and being frozen, like I literally stopped breathing. As I saw more and more shots of what seemed to be Midgar, I started getting emotional, not believing what I was seeing, thinking I was simply wrong, then we saw Barret and Cloud...Shed some tears, trying to keep everything inside, still believing it wasn't possible, it would just be a movie, or something. Then Remake appeared on screen after the logo. I just....man....Rollercoaster of emotions. Just watching that trailer again placed me nearly in the same mood as I was back then lol

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I need to set some time aside this evening or tomorrow for this. I watch retro religiously.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
A DF Retro Epic!

Excellent work Dark1x . One thing you didn't mention is that the snowboarding minigame runs at 60fps. Maybe other minigames too but I don't remember at the moment. I remember it really standing out to me at the moment since that framerate was so rare for 3D graphics on the PS1.

Oct 29, 2017
A DF Retro Epic!

Excellent work Dark1x . One thing you didn't mention is that the snowboarding minigame runs at 60fps. Maybe other minigames too but I don't remember at the moment. I remember it really standing out to me at the moment since that framerate was so rare for 3D graphics on the PS1.

Also worth noting that the minigames were actually outsourced to TOSE for development; Squaresoft actually had little involvement in their development.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
A DF Retro Epic!

I didn't replay that part, alas, but the bike section is 30fps so I assume this is true of the snowboarding as well. Perhaps not, though.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo

The video is great. Excellent job.
Are you guys going to do a comparison and break down between the first reveal trailer in 2015 and the final product? I know you touch on it a bit near the end of this video which got me interested in a whole break down since seems the first trailer and the final product are using two different engines.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't replay that part, alas, but the bike section is 30fps so I assume this is true of the snowboarding as well. Perhaps not, though.
It took some searching to find 60fps footage of this thing, but I think it's 60fps?

Also worth noting that the minigames were actually outsourced to TOSE for development; Squaresoft actually had little involvement in their development.
Oh yeah I remember reading about that once.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Bring back untextured polygon enemies.

tvyFVKE.png

OP
OP
raketenrolf

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Dark1x

Thanks for the video. Your effort doing these is greatly appreciated. I tired of the head to head videos a while ago. You're the reason I keep watching DF!
Yeah I barely watch those anymore too since the games look and perform almost identical between Xbox and PS4 anyway. But they still seem to generate quite a few views. Would be a different story if games would differ as much as they did in the SNES/MD days. I think it will be a bit more interesting again when XSX and PS5 are out. In the beginning at least.

Finished the episode and it was a joy to watch, as always. Now I wonder how Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus would look like if SE would decide to remake those games after FFVII. I actually think both have potential. Also, didn't know DoC has m&k support.

Can't wait for the next DF Retro episode! Ever considered to do an episode for GTA III, VC and SA, Dark1x? I mean there are so many old games to potentially cover, it must be overwhelming to actually think about and decide on one.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
It took some searching to find 60fps footage of this thing, but I think it's 60fps?

It's definitely 60 fps. Very nice find btw. I too was remembering it being 60fps and I'm glad you found a footage to correlate with my memory of it lol

Bring back untextured polygon enemies.

tvyFVKE.png

Always thought PS1 games using gouraud shading looked much more stable and sharper due to lack of texture warping. This is one of the reason I think FFVII looks better overall than FFVIII or FFIX when 3D models are moving. One game I think looked fairly amazing when it came out was ESPN X-game Pro Boarder. The night event downhill snow looked so much better due to its gouraud shaded look. To me this felt more advanced graphically speaking than the textured snow from the day events.

Last edited:

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
Thank you so much for the content you and the team produce. As a team you are all so thorough and definitive and you don't patronise your audience at all.

And with your Retro series in particular you show a great respect for the legacy so many wonderful works have built up through the Gaming Medium. Seeing our favourite medium treated like this means a lot to us.

Even your videos on games I haven't played/have no interest in are fun to watch for me.

So when it comes to something like this, a game I absolutely adore, I'm over the moon (or perhaps over the Meteor in this case?).

As usual with video essays that interest, I ritualise the viewing process. So I can't watch right away, not until later with snacks and drink at the ready :)

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely 60 fps. Very nice find btw. I too was remembering it being 60fps and I'm glad you found a footage to correlate with my memory of it lol

Always thought PS1 games using gouraud shading looked much more stable and sharper due to lack of texture warping. This is one of the reason I think FFVII looks better overall than FFVIII or FFIX when 3D models are moving.
No doubt! It's a more attractive rendering choice for the system, and ages the best. I don't think it's a coincidence that we've been seeing a lot of indie 3D games with minimal texturing.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Congrats, DF!

Like [literally] always, Digital Foundry Retro delivers.
I don't have the poligonal box, but those PC discs on the sleeves... ugh, need to hug them.