• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Darkest hour my ass. Power of the cell and blu ray into my veins.

The conference was cringe but there was great hype for the console. I will watch it later.

Oct 25, 2017
Despite the bad E3, the PS3 ended up being the best console of that generation. It was the last time we had console online gaming without pointless extra subscription fees. Now we've got the mandatory subscription fee on every console and gaming is ruined.

Oct 27, 2017
"So here is the giant enemy crab!"

This and Konami E3 memes are hilarious.

Glad Sony learned from their mistakes and turned things around.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Love these E3 retrospectives on bad conferences. Really enjoyable work, guys. When's Nintendo 2008 coming?

Love these E3 retrospectives on bad conferences. Really enjoyable work, guys. When's Nintendo 2008 coming?
I feel like that the reasons why Nintendo 2008 sucked have nothing to do with underlying tech, so I don't think there's much material for them to mine. 2011 or 2012 might be more what Dark1x is interested in, but I think that due to how much Nintendo has moved away from pie-in-the-sky demos to begin with, who knows.

Will watch this soon, but needless to say...

B5FF188AACBD989716986C1F4C291F03E7CECC86

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Despite the bad E3, the PS3 ended up being the best console of that generation. It was the last time we had console online gaming without pointless extra subscription fees. Now we've got the mandatory subscription fee on every console and gaming is ruined.

Best games maybe, but the hardware itself was pretty awful.

The expensive BD-drive was so slow compared to the 360s DVD-drive that many games required a mandatory install. A lot of devs ended up using the extra space to duplicate their game data in order to increase the access speed. The PS3 GPU was so underpowered that many of the Cell's "tricks" were used just to achieve parity. The split memory pool was awful compared to the 360's unified system, and the OS didn't have enough headroom to add features like party chat. Bethesda games in particular become unplayable after a certain amount of time due to ram limitations.

That's without even getting into Sony's documentation and dev tool shitshow. PS3 games were good in spite of the hardware, not because of it.

Dec 15, 2017
I honestly hope for another meltdown by Sony with the PS5. We need competition once more. Sony has good exclusives and a massive user base, which almost guarantees third party support. But their services have been lackluster, Hopefully they can include regional pricing like MS and Steam do. And proper BC.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You could probably just call it PlayStation's darkest hour. Now where's that ahole Winston Churchill?

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly hope for another meltdown by Sony with the PS5. We need competition once more. Sony has good exclusives and a massive user base, which almost guarantees third party support. But their services have been lackluster, Hopefully they can include regional pricing like MS and Steam do. And proper BC.

Not hoping for another so called metldown from Sony they are doing good. That narrative your trying to push saying that they are lackluster makes no sense. If it's about gamer pass they have had ps now for a while olny slight changes need to be done.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York

Sure, there was free online, but it was absolute garbage. Sony's online is still dodgy now, but it has improved and I'd rather have the quality now with the paid service than what we had back then.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, there was free online, but it was absolute garbage. Sony's online is still dodgy now, but it has improved and I'd rather have the quality now with the paid service than what we had back then.

There is no need for Sony to invest the money from Plus into its online service. For instance, Valve offers an arguably better service and doesn't charge any money at all.

Also why do you think Sony's online is "still dodgy", I haven't seen anything major this gen to lead me to believe so.

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't know why people say that PS3 online play was bad unless they're talking about that month-long hack. It always worked great for me.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
There is no need for Sony to invest the money from Plus into its online service. For instance, Valve offers an arguably better service and doesn't charge any money at all.

It costs a good deal of money to run a stable online service. Valve may have a different model, but they're still paying to provide that to players. Why do you assume Sony would want to follow Valve's approach?

Also why do you think Sony's online is "still dodgy", I haven't seen anything major this gen to lead me to believe so.

Yeah, my comment may have come out more negative than I intended. Mostly it's pretty good these days (and some pretty innovative features too), but in early gen days there were peak time issues and such. There still seems to be a lack of cross-game matchmaking foundations and such, so sometimes you still find games with bad online implementations, but I'm not sure if that's because they tried to roll their own or something.

I really don't know why people say that PS3 online play was bad unless they're talking about that month-long hack. It always worked great for me.

It was bad on several levels. At one point the system failed because people started having more than 100 friends. In terms of actual gameplay, I guess if you stuck with mainstream titles like COD or whatever it wasn't too bad, but most other games had abysmal matchmaking and lobbies. Plus no cross-game chat system.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, it was so awful. Going to watch this later but Sony couldn't have introduced their console in a worse way. Xbox would one up them next gen, but that's another story.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad I chose 360 last gen. Horrible download speed, no cumulative or differential patches, mandatory installs and mostly worse versions of third party games.
Three years ago, we bought my Father in law GT6 for his PS3 and then we tried to update it. We were visiting him for a week and when we left game was still not fully patched... Perhaps it's one of the worst examples on this system but this was just a "nope" moment for me. Not to mention that you can't play it online anymore.