• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017

The original Turok: Dinosaur Hunter was a landmark release. Its sequel? Not so much. However, the new remaster fixes most of the original release's issues and is now on Switch, alongside PC and Xbox One. In this video, Turok fans John Linneman and Alex Battaglia discuss the game in its various incarnations - and John shows the game running on original 3DFX Voodoo Graphics hardware! Plus: just how bad was N64 performance back in the day? Spoilers: pretty poor...

May 24, 2019
They didn't bother. They're just interested in churning out comparison videos "a la Candyland".

I dunno about that. They usually do the legwork. John mentioned that he grew up with it on PC, so maybe the thought just didn't come to him. I completely associate the game with the ram pak because I begged my mother for both of them at the time. Ha.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I like either Turok game, but I did like that Turok 2 was a lot more directed than 1. That said, I didn't know HOW it was directed (find 5 children, unlock 6 gates, etc). And the performance was terrible. Great music though.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
The game is still really fun and plays great on PC, almost as if it were intended for PC. Not sure how I managed to beat it on N64 back in the day. Some of the enemies and areas are hard even with PC controls. Enemies can be deceptively fast.

Funny thing about the N64 ram pak is that it makes performance worse on account of the boost in resolution I assume.

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017
They didn't bother. They're just interested in churning out comparison videos "a la Candyland".

On topic: Turok 2 is miles better than Turok 1.
He says he doesn't have time to give it the "full treatment" due to Gamescom lol. Use your ears, people. He even says it's likely he'll revisit in the future

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
I dunno about that. They usually do the legwork. John mentioned that he grew up with it on PC, so maybe the thought just didn't come to him. I completely associate the game with the ram pak because I begged my mother for both of them at the time. Ha.

It was kinda worthy it, I think I bought it for around the equivalent of 40€ nowadays.

May 24, 2019
They have one, I highly doubt he took out it to capture footage.

I don't know what the situation was, but it looks like the 240p (or whatever the standard res was on the game) mode to me.
I know it supposedly wasn't a deep dive, but they still talked about the N64 performance, so I'd think it'd be worth a mention.

I'm done complaining though. Great video. Definitely steered me towards the PC version for that sweet per-object blur.

Do the remakes have the old cheat codes in them? It'd be neat to see what pen and ink mode looks like now.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Um, what? Why don't you watch the video where John says that this video is not a full DF-Retro and the Turok 2 will be getting a full on treatment in the future when we both have time.

See, yet another video for something you should have done in this one.

I can't wait for your exhaustive coverage once PS5/Scarlett get announced, your video schedule must be something crazy.

May 24, 2019
I'm sure it's not getting a remaster, but I'd love to see an exploration of Turok 3.
I didn't play it back in the day. I don't know if I even knew it existed at the time, but playing it later in emulation, the way they were trying to ape Half-Life on the 64 was pretty fascinating.

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why no mention of/footage with the N64 ram expansion?

this was my biggest disappointment from watching the video as had been looking forward to it, generally I find these good, but they flat out slated the N64 version as unplayable and never even mentioned the N64 ram expansion and the improvements it gave
Sure it didn't turn the N64 into a PC with a £300 vodoo graphics card in it, but Turok 2 was marketed clearly as being a game that benefitted from the ram pack
and for those defending this not as a usual digital foundry deep dive, normally these guys do the research and legwork, so sure maybe there wouldn't be time to do a comparison to the ram lack version, but at least mention it

turok-2-seeds-of-evil-cover.cover_large.jpg

found comparing the N64 to a top of the line voodoo card disingenuous also
I don't see regular comparisons of a base xbox one game vs a ultra settings at 4K on a 2080 generally (which would be a similar comparison for today's market)

Last edited:

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I remember buying the ram expansion just for this game. If memory serves it helped with Goldeneye too, even though it wasn't officially supported. Though that may have been placebo.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I liked Turok Evolution
🤷
flawed game but had potential. It shouldn't have killed the franchise the way that it did, but counting that it bombed, wasn't finished and acclaim was just releasing turd after turd hurt their IP. Turok should be a AAA title, not a forgotten franchise.

The marine copycat Turok the 360 era didn't help Turok be unique anymore and the new indie game won't either. a shame.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
flawed game but had potential. It shouldn't have killed the franchise the way that it did, but counting that it bombed, wasn't finished and acclaim was just releasing turd after turd hurt their IP. Turok should be a AAA title, not a forgotten franchise.

The marine copycat Turok the 360 era didn't help Turok be unique anymore and the new indie game won't either. a shame.

Turok 08 actually did well at least. Bish said it managed to sell over 1 million copies, which isn't bad when you consider the timeframe and such that it came out and the state of Turok at the time. We would've had a sequel if not for Disney just ditching gaming (The first time they did, not the second lol).

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I couldnt go back and play it now but as a kid i played the shit out of turok 2 on n64. Low frame rates were much more acceptable back then.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
this was my biggest disappointment from watching the video as had been looking forward to it, generally I find these good, but they flat out slated the N64 version as unplayable and never even mentioned the N64 ram expansion and the improvements it gave
Sure it didn't turn the N64 into a PC with a £300 vodoo graphics card in it, but Turok 2 was marketed clearly as being a game that benefitted from the ram pack
and for those defending this not as a usual digital foundry deep dive, normally these guys do the research and legwork, so sure maybe there wouldn't be time to do a comparison to the ram lack version, but at least mention it

turok-2-seeds-of-evil-cover.cover_large.jpg

found comparing the N64 to a top of the line voodoo card disingenuous also
I don't see regular comparisons of a base xbox one game vs a ultra settings at 4K on a 2080 generally (which would be a similar comparison for today's market)
I think you are very much so missing the point of the video / misunderstanding us. John is going back and doing a deep dive and you will be very much so pleased then. Also, the exp Pack will not aid perf that much, and definitely not make it playable. As much as I would like that because I prefer n64 visuals over that og PC Port in terms of fog ramping and COLOUR. But John will Cover that all in the full retro on the game.

Btw, we do compared ultra high end PC Version to low end Stuff all the time! We even put switch versions right next to Premiere console versions and the PC. It is kind of the thing we do at DF and it is not disengenuous, it is all about curiosity and comparison and a big reason people watch the channel!

I couldnt go back and play it now but as a kid i played the shit out of turok 2 on n64. Low frame rates were much more acceptable back then.
You definitely should imo, the PC version is so so good and you will appreciate it. The game is so much better in the remaster ed Form, but all it's flaws then shine through now that the performance is at a good Level.

But still, the shotgun is frakking amazing in Turok 2, along with the mag60.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It actually looks better than I remember. Or perhaps it was the first game. All I remembered of Turok (on N64) was green stuff and grey fog. That's literally the image I get in my head whenever I hear the word Turok!

On topic: Turok 2 is miles better than Turok 1.
See, yet another video for something you should have done in this one.

I can't wait for your exhaustive coverage once PS5/Scarlett get announced, your video schedule must be something crazy.
Wow, who rattled your cage?

Oct 27, 2017
Late to this thread (just found it with a search), but appreciate the work done on this, Dictator & Dark1x, great video! Some interesting notes from around the 3 min 25 sec mark:
Alex: ...Turok I'd say is like not as fast now in Turok 2 but instead your arsenal has increased greatly, it's huge now... there's a greater you know variety of enemies now, with intense death animations which you'll probably be seeing on screen right now.

John: Yeah and that's actually one of the technical features, they did add an actual skeletal system to this game which was kind of a new thing back then. Half-Life had that as well at the time, but that's what enables things like the way they react to each shot, they sort of like flinch and move backward... you really get an extra sense of like impact on every shot in the game, and that's really important I think to the feel, especially with weapons like the shotgun which, honestly it's one of the first weapons you get but man, it's a good shotgun.

Alex: Yeah with location specific damage the first game did play off animations where it looked like characters would be hit in the neck, or something like that, but this time it is actually based upon location so you can headshot things... tons of gore and viscera when you shoot something and it's very satisfying. But I remember actually very specifically from the original version of the game on n64 that getting... satisfying headshots was really really hard, due to the framerate, and I think honestly hitboxes.

John: Yeah there's definitely two things, well multiple things going on, so yes, the framerate is one of the most significant problems with the Nintendo 64 version but also the FOV is super super limited, and the hitboxes are a little bit, I guess you could say too narrow or a little bit strange, it's very hard to pull off those types of shots I feel, and it's still today...

Also:
...John is going back and doing a deep dive [on Turok 2]...
Great to hear! Incidentally, I wonder how the devs would reflect on the behind-the-scenes development process/decision-making process for Turok 2, if they were asked about the game's severe performance problems on N64.

While the critics at the time of release (compare the reception: Turok 1 vs. Turok 2) seem to have responded pretty well to the N64 sequel overall, and it seems like Turok 2 was also a commercial success (apparently 1.4 million copies of the N64 version were shipped through January 1999, which would've been just a month after the game's release), certainly the game's frame rate is quite jarring (all the more jarring for anyone attempting to play the N64 version today), and in a way that often hinders gameplay.

One thing I'd mention in this connection (mentioned in previous posts here and here, sorry to be repetitive for folks who may have already read this stuff): I've noticed folks like Stephen Broumley (Lead Programmer on Turok 1 and Turok 2) and Darren Mitchell (Music Composer for Turok 1 and Turok 2) are still quite enthusiastic/passionate/forthcoming about their work on the Turok games (including the technical challenges presented by the N64 hardware), so seems like there's a good chance they'd jump at a chance to chat with John and/or Alex as part of the dedicated DF Retro video for Turok 2 (perhaps offering insight into the undisclosed priorities/trade-offs/decision-making that led to the well-known performance issues), if there's some mutually agreeable opportunity for you guys to chat in the near future.

For example, Stephen Broumley: https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/01/o...e-code-found-on-ancient-development-hardware/
Jan 15, 2017 [Kotaku]: ...The video goes on to show some of the source files, which certainly look like the real deal, before playing a few of the audio clips. A few comments to the video from a "Steve Broumley", who appears to have been a programmer on the game, lend it further legitimacy: "Wow! Hi Stephen Broumley here (my name is at the top of the trex.c source code shown in the video) - I coded all the bosses, cinemas, effects, and a bunch of other systems for Turok back in the day when I was a young lad! I remember that dev hardware - what a blast from the past! Thanks so much for sharing! [...] It took a team of about 20+ people over 2+ years of effort (working long hours 6 days a week for the last 7 months at least) to create what was (at the time) one of the first mature rated first person shooters on the N64. We were all in our early 20s growing up together and could sense we were making something very special so it wasn't like work at all. Such a great time. I still keep in touch with lots of the team today who have all gone to have successful careers around the world."

That was Broumley jumping into the Youtube comments of a video back in January 2017. And looking at that Youtube comment thread now, I'm noticing that Broumley engaged and followed up with folks who replied to him within that thread with questions/comments (looks like he left 7 replies to different folks, most recently in December 2018).

So I feel like if he's keen even to engage with random Youtube comments, then he'd jump at the chance to be part of what is now (thanks to John's great work) a venerable institution (DF Retro). Just a thought! As I mentioned, music composer Darren Mitchell likewise seems pretty enthusiastic, in this interview: https://n64today.com/2017/03/05/darren-mitchell-interview-turok/
March 5, 2017 [N64 Today]: ...Darren didn't actually know that the game had been re-released until we mentioned it, but he nevertheless finds it awesome. "I am absolutely thrilled and honored that I was able to write something that has meant so much to so many!" ...In fact, Darren describes working on early N64 games as being nothing short of a nightmare. Part of this was because there simply wasn't much in the way of development tools. "Turok 2: Seeds of Evil and later games were much easier as we had created some in-house tools for the PC that were not available for Turok: Dinosaur Hunter," Darren explains. "For the first game, we had to use Silicon Graphics Indigo desktop computers as that is the only platform the N64 tools from Nintendo would work on at that time. As you may recall, those SGI computers were very, very expensive so all of the audio guys had to share this one SGI computer that was set up in an empty office in between all of our offices."

...Even just adjusting a single volume controller would result in Darren having to go through the entire process all over again. "Needless to say, it was a pain and very time consuming," admits Darren… He draws a comparison between Turok: Dinosaur Hunter and its follow-up Turok 2: Seeds of Evil as a way of further explaining this. "Turok 1 had 300KB of space for music and no looping instruments; For Turok 2, I had 2MB and looping instruments. Turok 1 is 85% percussion; Turok 2 is 100% orchestral. I have often wondered what Turok 1 would have been like if I could have used looping sounds – would it have still been so percussive?"

Incidentally, was cool to see Edward850 (Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios, who worked on the remasters) chiming in, in various Turok threads at ResetEra:

Fun fact, I was surprised to find this out too when we started the remaster, but the "hitbox" is not a hitbox at all. It's actually per-vertex model collision, something not commonly talked about again until the likes of Doom3 and Half-life 2. In a way I'm impressed the N64 could even pull that off, they probably shouldn't have tried though. :V