• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
It's a comprehensive look at NG2 and it's iterations. Thought it was neat.
No, I meant what was the point of Tecmo bringing the game to Vita lol
vita version has full gore restored. thats a fact, dont know what you saw

008175s006.jpg

also vita version has a turbo mode like dmc3se, so it runs game logic faster...though, it runs like 10fps, its glorious XD

still, until it gets ported to switch its the only portable ng2, that was propably the point
Go to like 16:40 in the video. He does the decapitation animation but the guy still keeps his head attached

PC98_Audi

Producer @ Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh
No, I meant what was the point of Tecmo bringing the game to Vita lol

Go to like 16:40 in the video. He does the decapitation animation but the guy still keeps his head attached

That's cause Dark1x is probably playing the European version which has decapitations censored. PAL versions sometimes has the violence altered due to Germany and France, but on the flip side we got Probotector which is far far far superior to Contra in terms of design.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
fantastic video, as usual. i got a used copy of ng2 but holy hell, the first boss kicked my ass (and not in a fun, dark souls type way).

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait
Enjoyed the video a lot, wanted more!

It's still the best combat system for me in any action game, so much fun, I liked Vita version too because of the portability and it was fun as well.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
That's cause Dark1x is probably playing the European version which has decapitations censored. PAL versions sometimes has the violence altered due to Germany and France, but on the flip side we got Probotector which is far far far superior to Contra in terms of design.
Really now?

I did not know that Europe censored decapitations, thought it was just a Japan thing.

But it does look stupid lol

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
BC team doing work. The fact that the X1X version runs at much higher resolution AND has a better framerate than the X1S shows how GPU limited games can be.

Also, the GPU in the 360 was a beast. I felt like I was robbing Microsoft when I bought mine back in 2006. Such value.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Oh! One thing I totally forgot to mention - the Ninja Cinema mode is broken between 360 and Xbox One. If you play on XO or 360, save a film and then play it back on the other console, it goes way out of sync. It just means Ryu is running into walls and attacking the darkness, basically. Looks very silly.

Yeah, one have to Clear the game on Warrior difficulty, then clear the new Mentor mode, and then Master Ninja is unlocked.
Great video btw!
Ah yes, that's right. Sadly, I didn't have my original saves any longer so I had to start from the beginning.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Thankfully I held on to my greatest hits copy of NGII which has the DLC included. I finally finished the game for the first time on X..and damn was it fun and yes the game is freaking gorgeous at that higher res.
There was a greatest hits version with all the DLC? Sometime last year I was so thirsty for this game to be BC I just bought all the DLC since I couldn't buy the game digitally at the time lol. I have two physical copies of NGII too.
Ah yes, that's right. Sadly, I didn't have my original saves any longer so I had to start from the beginning.
I figured as much, as I think I saw something like a tweet or a mention in another video that you were hard at work on getting this video out. I appreciate the great vid, and loved this look at the different versions of the game. I know there are other videos out there about NGII on XBX but I've been waiting for this one to drop.

When you did your 360 capture, did you do it recently (fake edit: duh! Of course you did it recently...)? Did it freeze on you at all? If you patched the game before on a 360, it would freeze so often that I basically had to do the "clear the hard drive cache" thing so I could play it pre-patch to avoid most of the freezes, but I'm wondering if they fixed the 360 version along with getting it ready for play on the Xbox One, because I haven't had it freeze once on me on my Xbox One X and I've played it a lot.

Also I mentioned this in the other thread, but:
I loved this line, lol.

starting here... (13:42)
"It's almost as if the Xbox 360's version of Ryu had already been through here, wiping out most of the enemies and on PS3 you just deal with the stragglers."

edit: too many "lol"s in my post

Last edited:

pahlke1

Oct 28, 2017
Brisbane
The Vita version was my first time with this game. I finished it but boy the res and frame rate sure was an experience.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Disappointed there was no mention of the lack of a Blu-ray drive being the reason NG2 was so linear.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Courtesy of this video, I was reminded how much more I like the NGS 2's Ryu's default attire.

Also, another key difference that surprisingly was not mentioned is that the there is a difference in the tint in the skin colour of Ryu going from 360. That's another small thing that PS3 version does right (an aspect that does not affect OG Xbox title).

Anyway, I overall loved the Retro episode (more relatable for someone who started console gaming with PS3) especially given that the source file has such pristine IQ. Even though I never watch their episodes on YT anymore, I still visit for a quick thumbs up.

Edit:

Last thing I wanted to mention that it would be nice to see Ryu come back to be featured in another mainline NG series. Of course, "huge fuckin' anime tiddies" and motion control jiggle physics need to go, for starters.

Last edited:

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I don't remember a game ever censored due to French regulations... But Germany, yeah.

edit:
Wtf did I just read...?

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
It makes me scratch my head how everyone is doing remasters with so much effort of original games when microsoft just puts out the same quality with their BC without having to re release the games at full price. Whatever magic microsoft uses it is really impressive

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
There was a greatest hits version with all the DLC? Sometime last year I was so thirsty for this game to be BC I just bought all the DLC since I couldn't buy the game digitally at the time lol. I have two physical copies of NGII too.
I don't think it comes with all the DLC, Im pretty sure there's some costumes I don't have. Mine is the Platinum Hits that comes with the Karma Attack and Survival missions.

JigsawPSN

Banned
Apr 11, 2019
They also forgot to remove the multiplayer trophies, after having removed the multiplayer option... so you can't get the platinum trophy lol.

you are right that its impossible to get the platinum trophy, but they didnt forget about that, unlike the ps3 version, there is no game over if you dont revive your partner, so in theory you can just let your cpu partner die and solo all the missions

these last missions are still completely broken and impossible to beat though

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
360 was a beast. a much bigger difference than anything this gen.
Without going into a long debate - if we go with a "single" number as a comparison the difference was much smaller.

But the devil is in details - 360 had a 3x faster general purpose CPU (which was responsible for the cuts more often than the GPU differences - and I'm willing to put a significant bet that dismemberment cuts in NG were CPU driven), and about 50% less programmable compute (which tilted the balance the other way when utilized).

The rest was just differences in GPU architectures more than actual performance (which is why it was possible to see wild swings in favor of both consoles - something that never happened this generation).

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's about NG2, but I think I heard a mention that NG1 Vita ran better. Was it actually any decent?

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Without going into a long debate - if we go with a "single" number as a comparison the difference was much smaller.

But the devil is in details - 360 had a 3x faster general purpose CPU (which was responsible for the cuts more often than the GPU differences - and I'm willing to put a significant bet that dismemberment cuts in NG were CPU driven), and about 50% less programmable compute (which tilted the balance the other way when utilized).

The rest was just differences in GPU architectures more than actual performance (which is why it was possible to see wild swings in favor of both consoles - something that never happened this generation).

Another "detail" (to be honest, I'm not sure that I would call all the significant architectural differences details) that often gets overlooked is the memory setup and the amount of available memory. Thanks to its eDRAM, Xbox 360 had more memory even before the larger memory footprint of PS3's OS is taken into account. In Ninja Gaiden 2's case, the fact that ROPs were placed on the eDRAM die, and they could communicate with eDRAM memory at theoretical 256 GB/s, played an important role regarding the two games' use of transparencies. The Xbox 360 game had a lower resolution so that the whole frame could fit into eDRAM (according to Digital Foundry's calculations back in the day, such setup utilized 99.975% of available eDRAM), and that meant that they could go to town with blood and other transparency effects.

xbox_360_bandwidth_anr3k6u.png

Razors4edge

Nov 12, 2017
I know it's about NG2, but I think I heard a mention that NG1 Vita ran better. Was it actually any decent?
Oh yeah. I have both Sigma plus and Sigma plus 2. While the former also is 30 fps, it is a much better fit for the Vita hardware, stable performance and pretty nice IQ. It is actually something you can enjoy, even if it is not optimal of course. Games like these should always be 60 fps.

Jan 11, 2018
you are right that its impossible to get the platinum trophy, but they didnt forget about that, unlike the ps3 version, there is no game over if you dont revive your partner, so in theory you can just let your cpu partner die and solo all the missions

these last missions are still completely broken and impossible to beat though

Ah, gotcha. Still a big blunder. On top of the terrible framerate.

Sucks because the first game is a solid 30 fps experience with good graphics.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
Don't sleep on this game folks. For $20 or less, it still stands among the best in today's action combat.

It's a tough as nails action game for sure, but it's quite rewarding when you overcome the challenge.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Oh! One thing I totally forgot to mention - the Ninja Cinema mode is broken between 360 and Xbox One. If you play on XO or 360, save a film and then play it back on the other console, it goes way out of sync. It just means Ryu is running into walls and attacking the darkness, basically. Looks very silly.

This seems to be true of Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge as well. I had a pretty good video saved and when I played it on X1 my character died halfway through the video and the rest of the video was just of my character's dead body. lol. (Great video btw)