• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia

I've been waiting for this. Yet another fantastic DF Retro by Dark1x .

Summary
  • Video guest stars Nightdive developers; Samuel Villarreal, Edward Richardson and James Haley
  • Doom 64's engine is an upgraded, hardware accelerated version of the Doom engine used in the Jaguar and PS1 ports
  • Engine carries over coloured lighting from the PS1 version and is expanded to support a lot more colours, higher res textures, fog and texture filtering
  • Features a more dynamic, animated sky box and scrolling textures for water surfaces
  • Doom 64 EX (also by Samuel Villarreal) was made by modifying the original Doom engine to conform with Doom 64's differences
  • The new official release has been reverse engineered from the ground up based on a disassembly of the original N64 ROM and by referencing a reverse engineering project of Jaguar Doom done by James Haley
  • This means the new release is far more accurate to the original than Doom 64 EX with fully functional demos
  • The new release runs at a higher resolution and framerate (duh) but otherwise is completely accurate to the original release including N64 style 3-point texture filtering
  • 3-point texture filtering was recreated via a shader. This prevents the use of Mipmaps but the N64 original never used them in the first place either
  • Audio in the new release is handled in the same way as the original using dynamic synthesis. Fmod middleware was used to achieve this (as it already supported all the required effects)
  • Built on Kex engine but Kex engine isn't really a full enigne, more of a framework, making it faster to get projects up and running whilst being flexible to support any renderer, etc
  • API wise, PC and Switch use Vulkan, Xbox uses Direct X, Playstation uses GNM
  • Game runs at 4K on the Pro and X, 1080p on PS4, OG XBO and Switch docked, 720p on Switch undocked and, amazingly enough, 1440p on XB One S
  • The Xbox version features M&K support
  • The Switch and PS4 versions features pinch to zoom on the map screen and gyro controls
  • Rumble on on PS4, XB and PC is based on a converted version of HD rumble in the Switch version
  • Compared to the original Doom engine, the Doom 64 engine has both it's advantages and limitations as to what you can throw at it
  • No framerate graphs in this one. I'll take that as an admission of perfect framerates all around (30fps on N64, 60fps on current gen)

Last edited:

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Oh! It's Sunday again already?!

Looking forward to watching this. I've never played through the game, besides buying a cart a few years ago. Playing it now on Xbox One but I'm currently on like... level 7 or 8.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The HD rumble on XBox/PS is fascinating. As is the 1440p on One S as well. Haha. Certainly more than just a straight port.

OP
OP
LuigiV

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Great video as usual. Which AA solution should I use in the Switch version?
I'm partial to SMAA myself. You can use FXAA fast if you want to recreate that N64 blur.

I wonder if it's possible to create a tool for converting OG Doom WADs to be compatible with this engine. Of course it would be less accurate than the source port we already have but I would love to see the original Doom maps running as high res and responsive as this does on Switch.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
Awesome, I was hoping we would get a video like this that discussed the versions of doom 64. It was a nice bonus that some of the guys at nightdive were in the video too.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Doom 64 is meant to be played with headphones at the darkest setting in a pitch-black room :P

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Several of the Lego games supersample on base PS4, do those not cause artefacts too?

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Don't have time to watch, but sounds like the Switch port is great too? I really need to pick this up. I absolutely adore Doom 64.

Canyon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Great video and a great port. Really love the different PC iterations of Doom 64, so it's been nice to finally play it on a console.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I had no idea the guy who made Doom 64 EX was involved in this. It certainly shows, the port looks and runs great.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Great video. It still really bugs me how long (decades) I thought Doom 64 was a Doom 1 port for.

Hope Nightdive get to Powerslave/Exhumed officially at some point, and would love to see the Doom ports (this and the Doom 1/2 Nerve ports) released physically like the Turok ports were.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can do 60+ FPS on PC. I played on my C9 and 120hz and the frametime graph looked like a sheet of ice. Never thought I'd be playing DOOM 64 at 120FPS.

I'm sure it can hit above 120FPS, but I'm too lazy to connect my monitor up to check.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Hope Nightdive get to Powerslave/Exhumed officially at some point
Same here. Part of me still has hopes that they could base it on the content in the Saturn version, since that version has so many more Easter eggs, but I'd totally settle for a port based on the PlayStation version if that's the only way it could happen. It doesn't necessarily sound like they're opposed to reverse-engineering the originals, but I wonder how the Saturn's use of quads instead of triangles would affect the conversion process for modern hardware.

Wow, they actually used the extra power of the S?
No, it's just that the original Xbox One and the PlayStation 4 can only output at up to 1080p, while the Xbox One S can output in 4K. They specifically mention that the original Xbox One could probably run the game very well at 1440p internally, but it wouldn't be able to output at that resolution to a TV, and the text doesn't look so great when upscaled and downscaled to accommodate that scenario.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
That's so neat about the Xbox One S version having 1440p support. The nuance to the work for these conversions is excellent.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He's part of the KEX Engine team and involved in basically everything NightDive does with these retro remasters.
Thanks for expanding. I hadn't really kept up with them, but after doing some Googling I'll definitely be supporting their ports from now on. I had already bought their Turok 1/2 ports last year for Switch and they are both great.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Thanks for this, John. That Xbox One S tidbit is fascinating. I haven't had time to pick up the game's new expansion, so I'd love to hear people's impressions of it (if not some YouTube footage of how it plays out).

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
The 3 point texture filtering is easily the most interesting thing from this great episode. Kudos to them going the extra mile.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I just got around to watching this. Dude this is super fascinating stuff! I love the input from the developers.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Watched it from beginning to end, great video, really interesting if you're into retro stuff like this!