• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Didn't see a thread for this when I searched so if one already existed, lock this one and merge if need be.

I've heard of a PSOne game by a similar name but never knew of its SNES origins.

Cool episode, in that it's not really about the tech behind the game itself per se, and more about what extra time can grant to game's design even beyond the hardware change. That said, there's never not a good opportunity to talk about how forward thinking Satellaview was for its time, and Dark1x making explicit mention of that was a keen observation.

That tease at the end, though... oh man, I can't wait to see that comparison, as it was one hell of a playground argument back in the day for the great 16-bit wars.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Great episode.

I actually really love the SFC version's aesthetic too. I'd never actually heard of this game, I guess the PSX version was never released in Europe. I do love Skyblazer though, always been one of my fave SNES games (which annoyingly has never had a soundtrack release).

Really thankful to those hunting for the remaining undumped satellaview games. Hopefully the remaining Kirby Toy Box games still exist on a pak somewhere and will show up some day.

I wonder if that tease at the end is for a specific title or a look at all the mainline 2D entries. Latter would be a mammoth task though!

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What a super interesting video.

Like John I also thought Skyblazer was one of the SNES's most underrated/overlooked games. I was fortunate to play it back in the day since my local rental place had it. I had always wondered if the team behind it had made anything else. Somehow, I remember seeing those Punky Skunk adverts in game magazines too lol.

Great episode.

I actually really love the SFC version's aesthetic too. I'd never actually heard of this game, I guess the PSX version was never released in Europe. I do love Skyblazer though, always been one of my fave SNES games (which annoyingly has never had a soundtrack release).

Really thankful to those hunting for the remaining undumped satellaview games. Hopefullt the remainign Kirby Toy Box games still exist on a pak somewhere and will show up some day.

I wonder if that tease at the end is for a specific title or a look at all the mainline 2D entries. Latter would be a mammoth task though!
For the sake of the mental health of Dark1x , I should only hope that it's just the first game, as there are so many different versions to cover of just the original game before going off into the sequels. There's honestly enough content for that particular title for a 40-minute episode as it is.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
For the sake of the mental health of Dark1x , I should only hope that it's just the first game, as there are so many different versions to cover of just the original game before going off into the sequels. There's honestly enough content for that particular title for a 40-minute episode as it is.
Yes, it's just MK1 this time. For that exact reason.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Skyblazer looks interesting. Is it worth a try ?
Loving the DF retro episodes.

Absolutely, it's a fantastic game. Bosses are super cool too.

That's true. It doesn't quite reach Prince of Persia or Doom levels but it's a very sizeable number of ports, and some pretty different.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
That was a fascinating story. I wonder if this sort of thing makes devs more gunshy about releasing demos of in-development games. I remember wishing that I could play the Breath of the Wild E3 demos on my Wii U, but people pointed out at the time that spoilers for the full game would get datamined.

The Satellaview in general is just such a neat, weird piece of hardware. The idea of having the whole menu behind an Earthbound-esque town layout... and it gave us so many weird games that might not otherwise have been released, like the Radical Dreamers followup to Chrono Trigger. A little bit like the weird stuff you got on XBLIG, but actually supported by some big-name devs! I'd love a whole Satellaview focused DF Retro someday.

Also, Skyblazer looks cool and I want to give it a try. In some ways I'd say it looks more polished and interesting than Cooly Skunk, which was clearly trying to chase the mascot platformer fad a few years after it hit its peak.

Yes, it's just MK1 this time. For that exact reason.
It's a hell of a task all the same, so your work there is greatly appreciated. Mortal Kombat and its console differences was such a fun topic among my friends back in grade school, and we were at least thankful enough to live by a mall that had a huge arcade so that we could play that game to our heart's content without compromises, albeit a quarter at a time.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
It's a hell of a task all the same, so your work there is greatly appreciated. Mortal Kombat and its console differences was such a fun topic among my friends back in grade school, and we were at least thankful enough to live by a mall that had a huge arcade so that we could play that game to our heart's content without compromises, albeit a quarter at a time.

are you saying you were too good for all the beautiful sweat dripping off the characters in the snes version???

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Funny enough, I didn't even have a SNES at the time of MK1's release and didn't get one until after MK2 was already out. At least as far as I was concerned, the arcade was my avenue for playing video games of any kind at the time.

I didn't have any arcades nearby, (though a bit later a local newsagents got a X-men COTA cabinet in, and then followed that with a Marvel Super Heroes one), so I ended up using blockbusters a ton.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
never heard of satellaview, that's a super cool piece of tech

japan got so many cool addons in the 90s

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, the skunk having to have a fart attack to appeal to the American audience. Fantastic.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Anyone been able to load the ROM in retroarch? I can't seem to get it to work, doesn't recognise the dat file and if I change its extension to sfc, it loads but I just get a black screen with no sound

Last edited:

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
All this time I assumed Punky Skunk was like Awesome Possum, but it looks like it's actually very good! I also didn't know the company that made Skyblazer and Hook made that Spawn game! Their one black mark...