• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Happy with this one but disappointed by the low views again. I've become increasingly bitter with how the things I enjoy tend to do poorly while the stuff people care about are things I don't. That's a tough problem to overcome and I wish our channel could find a different audience. Console wars and modern comparisons just aren't interesting for me any longer.

With all due respect, people don't come to DF to hear your opinions or listen to you gush about old games for the sake of it, so if you want to find a broader audience for general retro gaming content you'll probably find more success on a completely separate channel, instead of trying to add a tenuous veneer of technical analysis to every topic in order to tie it back to DF.

...and it may still struggle to find a wide audience, for no other reason than Youtube's a cesspit nowadays.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
With all due respect, people don't come to DF to hear your opinions or listen to you gush about old games for the sake of it, so if you want to find a broader audience for general retro gaming content you'll probably find more success on a completely separate channel, instead of trying to add a tenuous veneer of technical analysis to every topic in order to tie it back to DF.

...and it may still struggle to find a wide audience, for no other reason than Youtube's a cesspit nowadays.
With all due respect, you're an asshole.

DF Retro is part of Digital Foundry, and people absolutely come for John. WTF kind of post is this?

Turrican3

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Happy with this one but disappointed by the low views again. I've become increasingly bitter with how the things I enjoy tend to do poorly while the stuff people care about are things I don't. That's a tough problem to overcome and I wish our channel could find a different audience. Console wars and modern comparisons just aren't interesting for me any longer.
Can easily relate to that feeling. :-\

But you know what, video was lovely.
I'm a HUGE Chris Huelsbeck fan (I guess my nickname is a bit telling, lol), yet I still learned something new with your interview, so please keep doing this retro stuff. :-)

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
With all due respect, you're an asshole.

DF Retro is part of Digital Foundry, and people absolutely come for John. WTF kind of post is this?

I'm not saying there's no audience for less analytical or more personality-driven content, I'm saying DF is a channel known and branded for a specific kind of output and the further the content strays from that narrow niche, the less appreciation it'll receive.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Just watched this great video. I kickstartered Chris' first Turrican album and still listen to it often today. That god damn Turrican 2 soundtrack is incredible. (As a quick aside, I still consider my 1CC completion of Turrican 2 as one of my greatest video game accomplishments)

Loved the revelation that Chris' first synth at Rainbow Arts was designed by the - let's face it - genius, who designed one of my favourite 'objects of power' the beautiful SID chip. Incredible to think of all those C64 games I bought just to hear those timeless tunes that the composers and programmers had created. Hearing the SID singing it's tiny silicon heart out brings tears to my eyes at times.

Like Chris' - I now carry a whole recording studio around with me on my laptop comment - SIDamp sits proudly on my phones first page and now I carry the HVSC collection with me everywhere. This would have blown 80's Corleth's tiny mind!

Can't wait for the new video next year, and belated thanks to John, Audi and Richard for the great panel at EGX.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for a great video John! I really love Turrican II's soundtrack. Amiga has a bunch of good themes but not very many soundtracks that measure up to the SNES. It's frustrating when they never get mentioned alongside your Final Fantasies and Zeldas.

I met Chris once alongside Nobuo Uematsu for a game concert. Now that was a star studded evening!

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not saying there's no audience for less analytical or more personality-driven content, I'm saying DF is a channel known and branded for a specific kind of output and the further the content strays from that narrow niche, the less appreciation it'll receive.
Well, 7 of the top 10 most successful videos on the channel are retro related.

Sounds like you're saying I should quit then if I can't change it? Gonna try to change it, though. DF is not the same as it was and I will move it forward somehow.

Console comparisons just aren't interesting today. They're all so damn similar.

XboxCowdry

alt account
Banned
Sep 1, 2019
Loved the Amiga and the Chris music on it was stunning.

This is one of the greatest tunes ever!

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Was a great watch! Immediately moved on to listen to some Giana Sisters and Turrican 2 OST. Especially the latter sounded awesome on my 5.1 system.

XboxCowdry

alt account
Banned
Sep 1, 2019
Yeah but it comes down to the topic, I think. Need to get more people interested in the niche things somehow!

I think the trouble with the Chris Huelsbeck feature (which was such a great watch ) is his appeal and his main audience was really on the Amiga (Yes I know he worked on lots more systems too) How many people outside of Percy Pal land have even seen an Amiga, much less played one? That's going to limit a niche feature on Youtube I feel; It's kind of like how Yuzo Koshiro is always associated with the Mega Drive.

Like anything Niche keep working at it and hopefully it will grow to make it all worthwhile. I so miss Factor 5 too: they were like a Western version of Treasure and serious coders

Oct 27, 2017

Is this just a personal frustration in regards to not getting interest in this content or is there a real risk that it won't make financial sense for DF to make more of these types of video if they don't bring in enough cash?

I primarily watch DF for the retro content, I tend to skip the comparison videos unless it's a game I'm really interested in or I've heard about specific performance issues (I completely agree with you. Modern consoles are so similar, it's a pretty boring topic bar having a specific thing to focus on).

See, if that's the case for DF Retro then I'd say you're doing pretty darn well overall vs the performance related DF content...

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Great video by John.

Also, I stopped by to remind everyone that the opening track on Super Turrican is probably the greatest opening track, ever.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Great video by John.

Also, I stopped by to remind everyone that the opening track on Super Turrican is probably the greatest opening track, ever.

Not with that terrible muffled sound. I have such a strong dislike for the low low low bitrate of SFC music, ugh.

Turrican 2 will remain Chris's magnum opus.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017

Sounds like you're saying I should quit then if I can't change it? Gonna try to change it, though. DF is not the same as it was and I will move it forward somehow.

You say that, but I'd argue that every single Switch comparison video is valid andvastly more important than near peers.

Also, I really enjoy the future hardware speculation when the whole team gets together.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
You say that, but I'd argue that every single Switch comparison video is valid andvastly more important than near peers.

Also, I really enjoy the future hardware speculation when the whole team gets together.
Oh right, Switch is actually still interesting to me. I just think Xbox vs PS4 vs PC is useless and not interesting any longer. That's good for those playing the game but boring for me. The fun is gone from those comparisons.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017

Quit DF, specifically? If you want to spare yourself the anxiety of essentially competing with other videos on your own channel, or being anchored to topics or angles that don't interest you, then yeah, sure. If you get paid week in, week out and the views don't materially matter then fuck it, stay where you are, the views you're getting are far from terrible and they won't necessarily improve elsewhere.

I don't dislike your content at all or think you're wrong about the other stuff being boring, by the way, I just don't think you're ever going to be able to overcome that dissonance so long as you make these kinds of videos for DF.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Quit DF, specifically? If you want to spare yourself the anxiety of essentially competing with other videos on your own channel, or being anchored to topics or angles that don't interest you, then yeah, sure. If you get paid week in, week out and the views don't materially matter then fuck it, stay where you are, the views you're getting are far from terrible and they won't necessarily improve elsewhere.

I don't dislike your content at all or think you're wrong about the other stuff being boring, by the way, I just don't think you're ever going to be able to overcome that dissonance so long as you make these kinds of videos for DF.
As the one stuck making these videos, Xbox vs PS4 is boring to me. We need next-gen for it to liven up again....maybe.

In the meantime, I'm pushing retro hard. That's what I care about personally.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Jeez I was just listening to the Turrican 4 cd set yesterday thinking how awesome this music is.
I mean c'mon listen to this:

Classic game soundtracks are so much better than modern.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

He just told you seven of the top 10 most viewed on DF are retro videos.

Not with that terrible muffled sound. I have such a strong dislike for the low low low bitrate of SFC music, ugh.
based genesis

The 16-bit console wars are still more interesting than any others. :P

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
As the one stuck making these videos, Xbox vs PS4 is boring to me. We need next-gen for it to liven up again....maybe.

Which is why you are awesome!
Retro is where it's at, classic gamer and proud of it!

The 16-bit console wars are still more interesting than any others. :P

They most certainly were.
So uninteresting now.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
He just told you seven of the top 10 most viewed on DF are retro videos.

Is it true, though? Youtube > videos > sort by > most popular suggests otherwise.

Either way, I was talking about the dissonance he clearly feels when comparing those other videos to the ones he cares about. If you're sick of cooking big macs, don't work at McDs, this ain't rocket science.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Jeez I was just listening to the Turrican 4 cd set yesterday thinking how awesome this music is.
I mean c'mon listen to this:

Classic game soundtracks are so much better than modern.

I couldn't resist the other day and bought the orchestral versions of both Turrican soundtracks on iTunes

By the way mr Huelsbeck, please make it more affordable to buy your stuff on bootcamp than on iTunes, it's significantly cheaper there :(

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Is it true, though? Youtube > videos > sort by > most popular suggests otherwise.

Either way, I was talking about the dissonance he clearly feels when comparing those other videos to the ones he cares about. If you're sick of cooking big macs, don't work at McDs, this ain't rocket science.
I'm basing that on watch time and revenue. So yes, it's true.

Unlike McD, however, we can change things. I will change things or die trying. We already have. Look at the types of content we make now versus 3-5 years ago.

Your comments only encourage me to not do console wars style videos.

OP
OP
PC98_Audi

PC98_Audi

Producer @ Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh
Can't wait for the new video next year, and belated thanks to John, Audi and Richard for the great panel at EGX.

Thanks! Hopefully John and Rich will bring me back for more panels and videos, its the most fun i had in my career getting to team up with those guys.

Also if anything, John will be doing more retro in 2020, as i have a stack of Alfred Chicken games incubating and soon ready to hatch.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
I'm basing that on watch time and revenue. So yes, it's true.

Unlike McD, however, we can change things. I will change things or die trying. We already have. Look at the types of content we make now versus 3-5 years ago.

Your comments only encourage me to not do console wars style videos.

Alright, good to know.

Again, I hope you don't think I'm suggesting you continue making console wars videos, that you're wrong to be bored of them or that I have any interest in watching them because none of that is true, and if the behind-the-scenes stats show things are shifting then good for you.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I mean, he's no Follin :P but Huelsbeck is a legend too.
Hope we can see more legendary composers on DF Retro, keep it up John !
You have to give it time and content like this will reach its target audience.

I for one think the obsession with pixel counting and framerate analysis went way too far in the last few years and drew attention away from more important aspects so I'm all for dialing things back a few notches. Of course, revenue might not agree, though.
Oh, but indepth analysis and tech explanations I love.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia

I have an ominous feeling the PS5 and the next Xbox will be more similar to one another than the PS4 and Xbox One were. Like they'll have very nearly identical specs. No memory shenanigans this time to force one of them into a lower performance bracket.

Keep pushing DF Retro hard. It's my favourite content on the channel.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This is very much possible. Which is why everyone interested in DF's work should support them on patreon.
We're hoping to improve that side as well...hopefully! Stay tuned.

We'd all like to move away from rote comparisons, I think. It just isn't interesting most of the time.

It USED to be kind of interesting but these days? Not at all.

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
We're hoping to improve that side as well...hopefully! Stay tuned.

We'd all like to move away from rote comparisons, I think. It just isn't interesting most of the time.

It USED to be kind of interesting but these days? Not at all.
On that note, I think many people would also be interested in the CG technology used in movies and would like to know more about how these techniques are used, and how they evolved with time.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Yeah as an American who likes to talk about videogames it's pretty obvious that none of the old microcomputer greats really get the recognition they deserve. Glad to see a video like this -- though I should caveat I haven't watched it yet

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

You always should push hard where your passion is. I like retro computing a lot and I'm close to 20 years now using emulators to play "old" games and I think there is a whole universe to cover in that regard.
I know that you mentioned emulators already in some videos but I'd like to see even more focus on that. Mame alone could be worth several videos, for example. Just an idea, of course. Also retroarch implemented native crt support and that goes in line with the current trend at DF ;)

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017

Also, broadening a channel's output is no bad thing. I love DF for both the tech side and the retro stuff. Both can exist very happily side by side in my opinion.

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
It doesn't help either the huge fragmentation of the EU scene. Like, MSX was big in the Netherlands but it's presence in the rest of Europe was almost anecdotal. In my country it was the Spectrum, in the UK the BBC Micro...
The spectrum was massive in the UK, far bigger than the BBC (which was only owned by posh kids). In many ways it was the PlayStation of its time.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
The spectrum was massive in the UK, far bigger than the BBC (which was only owned by posh kids). In many ways it was the PlayStation of its time.

Huh! My understanding was the BBC was a cheaper device mostly useful for "business" tasks like word processing and budgeting and the like rather than set for gaming, and had a utilitarian price point to match. But then I also don't have any experience with it.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Unreleased tracks by Huelsbeck. First one is for the never released Turrican 64, and the others are music demos testing the MusyX program they used to make Game Boy Color music. All three are excellent.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017

How do those retro mini console videos perform for you guys? If they do well have you considered looking at the Mister? Maybe a simpler introduction video between whats officially offered vs the diy mister solution. if it does well and people want more you could go more in depth with future videos.

Pretty excellent sit down with the living legend himself, talking about a range of sound hardware and even a little bit of info on the canceled Rogue Squadron Wii port.

I'm surprised that never leaked. The game was apparently finished and ready to go. A switch port would be cool but im guessing disneys deal with EA is blocking anything from happening.

Last edited:

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Huh! My understanding was the BBC was a cheaper device mostly useful for "business" tasks like word processing and budgeting and the like rather than set for gaming, and had a utilitarian price point to match. But then I also don't have any experience with it.

The only time most people in the uk would see a BBC Micro was at school playing edutainment games like Granny's Garden, Dinosaur Discovery or moving a "turtle" via a simple programming language called logo.

OP
OP
PC98_Audi

PC98_Audi

Producer @ Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh
Hopefully everyone in this thread can share this video on their socials and such so we can get the numbers up a bit and get more interviews and game music related content. Hashtag that shit with #dfretro or something, lets make more stuff happen. Way too much good content to miss in here.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017

Gee thanks ha ha

The amount of extra work that would require is insane plus Chris has lived in the US since 1998!

Don't get me wrong but this is more niche then a DF video on the latest game.

I see these more of a passion project which is amazing .

The video is great and Informative as always.

Have you considered leaving like a paypal link so we can send you some tips so to speak

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I keep listening to the Apidya soundtrack.

There's also the BBC Micro's successor, the Archimedes. I might be the only person outside Europe to care enough about that system to make a thread on it. https://www.resetera.com/threads/acorn-archimedes-appreciation-thread.14280/

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
There's also the BBC Micro's successor, the Archimedes. I might be the only person outside Europe to care enough about that system to make a thread on it. https://www.resetera.com/threads/acorn-archimedes-appreciation-thread.14280/
The Archimedes is a computer I'm dying to get my hands on but it's incredibly hard to find, even here in France

And the Archimedes is a very important computer since it gave birth to the ARM line of processors. I wish Commodore followed in their footsteps