• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PC98_Audi

Producer @ Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh

Pretty excellent sit down with the living legend himself, talking about a range of sound hardware and even a little bit of info on the canceled Rogue Squadron Wii port.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Oh nice, tagging this to watch later. I've been listening to the Turrican II 2013 soundtrack all week. Check out the orchestrated Turrican soundtracks, they're amazing.

OP
OP
PC98_Audi

PC98_Audi

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh
Oh nice, tagging this to watch later. I've been listening to the Turrican II 2013 soundtrack all week. Check out the orchestrated Turrican soundtracks, they're amazing.
Yeah the orchestrated selections sound amazing. Glad they finally did Air Combat from Mega Turrican for the last one.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I love this man's work. He composed some truly iconic stuff in his time.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can't watch now but please tell me it's in German, dictator interviewing him in his native language and the video has English subs.

OP
OP
PC98_Audi

PC98_Audi

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh
That Rogue Squadron Wii port with the orchestrated music sure would have been something...

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Happy with this one but disappointed by the low views again. I've become increasingly bitter with how the things I enjoy tend to do poorly while the stuff people care about are things I don't. That's a tough problem to overcome and I wish our channel could find a different audience. Console wars and modern comparisons just aren't interesting for me any longer.

Okay... (Such a missed opportunity)
Gee thanks ha ha

The amount of extra work that would require is insane plus Chris has lived in the US since 1998!

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
Happy with this one but disappointed by the low views again. I've become increasingly bitter with how the things I enjoy tend to do poorly while the stuff people care about are things I don't. That's a tough problem to overcome and I wish our channel could find a different audience. Console wars and modern comparisons just aren't interesting for me any longer.

Gee thanks ha ha

The amount of extra work that would require is insane plus Chris has lived in the US since 1998!

Well done mate, lovely stuff.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I love these interviews and deep dives. They're more important to gaming history in my book.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
funny how i know his name since the 90s but never knew how he looked. man, his soundtracks are amazing, it was the shit back in the days, absolute standout stuff

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Can't wait to watch this later! I could happily listen to Turrican music exclusively for the rest of my days

Norse

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Norway
Awesome video. Love his music, always have. My first time with his music was Giana Sisters on C64. Hope it gets the views it deserves. Don't know why it wouldn't. Isn't DF Retro known well enough in the retro community?

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Watched now. The accent from Chris is killing me! But very interesting video from him and nice interview.
Back in the day Chris calling SNES sound "dull" would've meant way more clicks on the video if YouTube would've been a thing back then.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Chris's English is fantastic, I had no problem understanding him.

Fantastic video, cheers for this John. Huelsbeck is one of my all time fave composers, especially his work on Apidya & the Turrican games. I've tried to get all the soundtrack cd's for the games he's composed for over the years, but I had no idea he was involved in Bubsy lol. I guess I'll have to buy that piece of crap as it seems to be the only way to get a physical version of the soundtrack.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Awesome video. Love his music, always have. My first time with his music was Giana Sisters on C64. Hope it gets the views it deserves. Don't know why it wouldn't. Isn't DF Retro known well enough in the retro community?
Yeah but it comes down to the topic, I think. Need to get more people interested in the niche things somehow!

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017

Gee thanks ha ha

Don't get down on it. Great video and very interesting stuff. The man was part of the golden age of video game composers. He also worked on the cancelled factor 5 game Thornado, the music to which sounded awesome!

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I guess because Huelsbeck is so wedded to the euro computer scene that was never really a big deal outside of europe.

but MEANWHILE

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017

Gee thanks ha ha

I can understand the frustration, but from the total number of gamers in the world, only a very tiny % care about the past. You can see it when all the work that encompasses a gargantuan project like MAME has been done by less than 500 contributors.

In this case I didn't know Huelsbeck's work as someone who was born in the second half of the eighties and had almost no contact with Micro-Computers, and later I became a MD kid. Sure, I've played Turrican thanks to emulation and the later Factor 5's works, but never wondered who was behind the soundtracks, even if they were really memorable.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
This was a great interview! Huelsbeck is a great composer.
It was very fascinating to hear about his methods for creating music with the limitations they had back in the day.
Such a shame he doesn't work more in games these days. With all the retro inspired games you'd think there would be a lot of games that'd fit great with his style. Maybe he's a bit too expensive for most indie projects.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Just got my copy of Retro Gamer #200 with a free CD of Turrican rearrangements, too!
I guess because Huelsbeck is so wedded to the euro computer scene that was never really a big deal outside of europe.
That was my first thought as well - the entire European development scene often seems relegated to support the US-centric narrative of Nintendo saving a doomed industry :/

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't help either the huge fragmentation of the EU scene. Like, MSX was big in the Netherlands but it's presence in the rest of Europe was almost anecdotal. In my country it was the Spectrum, in the UK the BBC Micro...

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Great video! The work on getting the C64 play sound tracks with more than 3 voices is such an amazing feat.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't help either the huge fragmentation of the EU scene. Like, MSX was big in the Netherlands but it's presence in the rest of Europe was almost anecdotal. In my country it was the Spectrum, in the UK the BBC Micro...

Actually, the Spectrum was massively popular in the UK, moreso then the micro (Micro was was very big in schools, which is where I first used one).

Clive Sinclair himself was a household name in the 80s in the UK too.

Last edited:

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017

Gee thanks ha ha

The problem is that the people who grew up listening to Chris's music skew way older than the youtube generation. So people growing up with C64s or Amigas aren't going to check out your videos any ore than they do Retroman Cave and the likes.

Hueslbeck, Alister Brimble and Dave Whittaker are my very own living legends ;-)

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that the people who grew up listening to Chris's music skew way older than the youtube generation. So people growing up with C64s or Amigas aren't going to check out your videos any ore than they do Retroman Cave and the likes.

Hueslbeck, Alister Brimble and Dave Whittaker are my very own living legends ;-)

you calling me a fossil bro

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
you calling me a fossil bro
I can't, I'm calcified
FossilFighters_frontcover.png

had to make this joke :-D

Oct 26, 2017
For what it's worth, those of us who do watch them really appreciate them. I like to make a sandwich and sit down with a brew and some chocolate every time one of these vids pops up.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Really nice video, unfortunately it's barely scratching the surface. Chris is really an industry legend.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
For what it's worth that's how I feel just posting on ResetEra. I feel like I'm speaking a different language sometimes and the gap is getting wider. I'm thankful for what you do, at least.

The BBC Micro was the computer used in schools in the UK, nobody had them at home. Speccy all the way!

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For what it's worth that's how I feel just posting on ResetEra. I feel like I'm speaking a different language sometimes and the gap is getting wider. I'm thankful for what you do, at least.
I definitely feel the same way. But it's topics and videos like this that are great and remind me I'm not alone here. DF Retro and Huelsbeck kick ass.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
That sucks. I admit, I wasn't sure this video would be for me when I first saw it posted but I'm glad I did watch it, it was a very interesting interview. Shame there aren't more people willing to give it a chance like that.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Watching/listening to the interview right now. Great stuff.

I hear you. Earlier this year I decided that I was finally done with AAA games. Unfortunately, that and console wars are all most gamers are ever interested in.
So you know what I say? Fuck 'em. I'm going to spend the rest of my time as a game writer covering whatever the hell I want.

When I started, I was writing arcade game reviews for an audience of one. If that's how it ends for me, then awesome. At least I'm doing what I like.

Last edited:

Peacemillian

Oct 25, 2017
One of my all time favourite composers, the Amiga Jim Power ost especially is in my top 5, despite one track being heavily inspired by Y's (though definitely improved).

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey

Personally, I enjoyed this video, and I appreciate the effort that you put into it. It's cool to hear about the technical tricks he used to push the audio capabilities of some of these systems beyond the norm, such as squeezing 7-channel sound out of the Amiga.

Ironically, just a few hours before watching this interview, I played Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back for the first time today, not knowing that Mr. Huelsbeck was involved with that game (a fact that was revealed in the interview).

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Gee thanks ha ha

For what it's worth, I'd rather have more videos like this so I appreciate it. So much of what get's recommended on my Youtube feed these days is just clickbait garbage. So it's refreshing when a video like this shows up

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Well I for one watch and hit Like on every one of your guys' videos, and you guys introduced me to My Life In Gaming so for that alone I am grateful.