• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Ha, I'm not sure I would call it buried treasure but hey! This'll be my final video until mid-January, I guess.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Loved the video! Seeing that Thunder in Paradise part made me think that it would be a good idea to do a DF Retro on lightgun games?

PC98_Audi

Producer @ Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh
RipeGKM.jpg

ENJOY DIET!

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
I ended up looking up SunSoft´s The Note after it being mentioned and then saw that I liked a YouTube video about it years ago:

The game looks like mega trash. I then found The Witch Of Salzburg due to the recommendations. Now that a PSX horror game no on heard about! The bottom of the barrel of the PSX is always a treat.

The Sega version of Batman 1989 they showed is the best one btw. I even finished it a few years ago.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
@Dark1x Could you mention Mizzurna Falls one of these days on the channel? That Japan-only open-world detective game for the PSX aged badly but it is crazy forward-looking, a true technical marvel and is another "rip-off" of Twin Peaks in the gaming world.
Human Entertainment was such a weird developer.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
Those two pc-98 games teased look great, looking forward to a DF Retro video on them.

PC98_Audi

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh
@Dark1x Could you mention Mizzurna Falls one of these days on the channel? That Japan-only open-world detective game for the PSX aged badly but it is crazy forward-looking, a true technical marvel and is another "rip-off" of Twin Peaks in the gaming world.
Human Entertainment was such a weird developer.
Oh I have that game. I actually met a few people from the development team on Mizzurna Falls while doing work on another project. I like that game a lot, I'll bring it over to John's place next time.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I ended up looking up SunSoft´s The Note after it being mentioned and then saw that I liked a YouTube video about it years ago:

The game looks like mega trash. I then found The Witch Of Salzburg due to the recommendations. Now that a PSX horror game no on heard about! The bottom of the barrel of the PSX is always a treat.

The Sega version of Batman 1989 they showed is the best one btw. I even finished it a few years ago.
I thought sega cd batman was better?

USIGSJ

Oct 26, 2017
I know Golden Axe 3 gets lots of hate, but I really loved that game, so I'm glad to see it in the list.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
I am confused Tizoc. There was a Sega CD version of Batman 1989? There is cult one for Batman Returns:
The exclusive driving is fun and the music is goldlike but the actual gameplay and the graphics are way better on the SNES. The Sega CD score, holly shit:

The SNES TAS game is also good. Batman overall had a solid run in games till Batman Forever...
And Golden Axe 3 is the best home version in the series. Easily.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
After the First few episodes, were Audi was introduced as a guest, I actually wondered why he was always there.

Turns out you two do a pretty good job together. Enjoyed that episode even though I don't care for most games shown. I want Elevator Action Returns ported to a modern system. Game looks so good.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I am confused Tizoc. There was a Sega CD version of Batman 1989? There is cult one for Batman Returns:
The exclusive driving is fun and the music is goldlike but the actual gameplay and the graphics are way better on the SNES. The Sega CD score, holly shit:

The SNES TAS game is also good. Batman overall had a solid run in games till Batman Forever...
And Golden Axe 3 is the best home version in the series. Easily.

Hmm then maybe I am misremembering and it is Batman Returns.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
I too was always weirded out by Golden Axe 3's reputation. It's like people just judged it at a glance from screenshots. I played the game a lot back in the day since I had a friend who had it imported.

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
Lol, I expect another price spike for Elevator Action² Returns after being featured on both this video and the Kotaku top 25 1994 retrospective within the last week.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
Hey Dark1x and Audi, I watched the video last night and you guys mentioned that Fightin' Spirit was developed by a Spanish studio, but I think it was an Italian one.
I have a general idea of what was developed in Spain and I think that wasn't. Although I may easily be wrong. Just in case you guys want to check it out.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I too was always weirded out by Golden Axe 3's reputation. It's like people just judged it at a glance from screenshots. I played the game a lot back in the day since I had a friend who had it imported.

i remember the EGM reception from their import-only section being REALLY unkind to the game. the colors employed by the game don't really do it any favors, despite the nice visual effects rampant through it. that being said, i always avoided it due to the bad word of mouth and i played it a few months ago for the first time and absolutely loved it.

on this video-- glad to see someone recognizing the MD/Genesis Sunsoft Batman. great little Shinobi-lite-- as pointed out in the video.

PC98_Audi

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh
Hey Dark1x and Audi, I watched the video last night and you guys mentioned that Fightin' Spirit was developed by a Spanish studio, but I think it was an Italian one.
I have a general idea of what was developed in Spain and I think that wasn't. Although I may easily be wrong. Just in case you guys want to check it out.
Yeah I caught myself after taping unfortunately, I think I got my wires crossed cause I had been discussing some Spanish developed games (Asterix) with John around the same time.

Dec 2, 2017
People thought Golden Axe III was bad? I only knew it from the Sonic Genesis Collection, but playing through the earlier ones then hitting III, it seemed like a jump up. The multiple routes, more complex movesets, more visual effects, etc.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
People thought Golden Axe III was bad? I only knew it from the Sonic Genesis Collection, but playing through the earlier ones then hitting III, it seemed like a jump up. The multiple routes, more complex movesets, more visual effects, etc.

it definitely had a bad reputation when it released-- and there had to be a reason sega passed over a western release of it.

i can't find the scans of it, but EGM really ravaged the game in their import outlook section of the magazine. i remember reading that as a kid.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

It was the 90s and it looks worse in a screenshot.

As John says, it's the best Golden Axe game on the Megadrive, though the arcade games are better (Revenge of Death Adder defo is, it's the best beatemup ever imo and criminal there's never been a home port).
I'd love to see M2 make a port of the arcade Golden Axe with the extra MD Doom Bringer level.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Revenge of Death Adder is Sega's best beat em up ever-- including the SoR games imho

Without question. The only beat'em'up that comes close to me is Capcom's Shadow Over Mystara, and I still think Death Adder is better. Streets of Rage 2 is great but it's a tier down along with Denjin Makaii II, though the Koshiro/Kawashima bgm is one of the best game soundtracks ever.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Elevator Action Returns looks damn good. The running animation is stellar. Very striking pose, and the whole body moves. It's the kind of animation I wish Symphony of the Night had - Alucard looks like he's sliding because his upper body doesn't bob up and down like the player character in Elevator Action Returns.

Dec 2, 2017
Elevator Action Returns looks damn good. The running animation is stellar. Very striking pose, and the whole body moves. It's the kind of animation I wish Symphony of the Night had - Alucard looks like he's sliding because his upper body doesn't bob up and down like the player character in Elevator Action Returns.
I think that's intentional, he's kind of floating along pointing to his undead heritage.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think that's intentional, he's kind of floating along pointing to his undead heritage.

I can see the argument. It works well when he changes direction while running, but when he's simply running, the contrast between his completely immobile torso and his exaggerated arm and leg movements makes his walk a bit too goofy for my liking.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
on the topic of this video, i'm surprised someone hasn't made a "personal buried treasure of 2019" for our users. there could be cool discussion.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
it definitely had a bad reputation when it released-- and there had to be a reason sega passed over a western release of it.

i can't find the scans of it, but EGM really ravaged the game in their import outlook section of the magazine. i remember reading that as a kid.

I'm going to guess that the sprites weren't large enough. Sega had a real hard on for pushing games with large looking sprites at the time. Gunstar Heroes almost didn't get localized because of it.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I'm going to guess that the sprites weren't large enough. Sega had a real hard on for pushing games with large looking sprites at the time. Gunstar Heroes almost didn't get localized because of it.

it's funny you bring this up because one of my buddies was in town this weekend and we were playing a bunch of retro games between stuff on the Switch and on my Mega SG. Due to the amount of beer and other things consumed, I don't remember which action game we were playing but he said something to the effect of, "the huge sprites ruin a lot of SNES games". it's interesting because it is a sentiment you don't see very often but it definitely is something you could say about games like... Super Castlevania IV.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Golden Axe III is still my least favourite of the Gen/MD games (although it's not as bad as its reputation). Among the home games, the first one is the most memorable, has the best art direction, and has the most depth to it if you explore timing of attacks.

That said, I wasn't happy at SOA passing on III back in the day. Like with the Fantasy Zone, Monster World, and Phantasy Star franchises, it felt like they were disrespecting loyal fans of existing franchises by not localizing them.

Anyway, great video with a bunch of interesting picks. Hana Tahka Daka is a neat one I found randomly at a flea market years ago. Elevator Action Returns is one of my top arcade and Saturn games. Mega CD Night Striker was another game I was disappointed to see stuck in Japan but I later bought it and loved it.

I would like to see DF Retro delve into more earlier stuff (pre-NES consoles, 8-bit computer games) but I suppose those don't generate hits. It's hard to even keep a decent discussion on those at Resetera.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Golden Axe III is still my least favourite of the Gen/MD games (although it's not as bad as its reputation). Among the home games, the first one is the most memorable, has the best art direction, and has the most depth to it if you explore timing of attacks.

That said, I wasn't happy at SOA passing on III back in the day. Like with the Fantasy Zone, Monster World, and Phantasy Star franchises, it felt like they were disrespecting loyal fans of existing franchises by not localizing them.

Anyway, great video with a bunch of interesting picks. Hana Tahka Daka is a neat one I found randomly at a flea market years ago. Elevator Action Returns is one of my top arcade and Saturn games.

I would like to see DF Retro delve into more earlier stuff (pre-NES consoles, 8-bit computer games) but I suppose those don't generate hits. It's hard to even keep a decent discussion on those at Resetera.

Yeah, they already get few enough hits with the euroscene stuff like the huelsbeck interview. :(

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Fightin' Spirit mention is weird. Game is Elfmaia redux. Nice sprite work, terrible gameplay

I still own it :p

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I had no idea they made a Thunder in Paradise game, that's something. I watched it as it aired since I was really into wrestling back then.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Gleylancer is a good-ass shmup.
There's so much pure gold that landed in that weird space between the Genesis/MD and the S/MegaCD in the early 90s
Including ones that crossed-over the platforms, like Sol-Feace.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Fightin' Spirit plays alright on a CD32 controller.

I'd also throw Shadow Fighter and Super Street Fighter 2 into the good Amiga fighter category. IK+ is excellent on any given platform.
Eh let's agree to disagree. In a fighter's starved library it can stand out but among fighters it's a poor one

Also Super street Fighter 2 is bad, Super Street Fighter 2' is fine but plays at like 15 fps which kills the game (Gametek version)

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Here is an absolute Sega banger no one knows about in 2019 Eegah:

There is another neat variation of Picq´s Dune OST. I view this as one of the top 10 gaming OSTs of the 90s and a perfect fit for Dune. Here his other 90s masterpiece:

Spend some time with the recommendations for these 3 OSTs Era. Batman´s Spencer Nilsen did Sonic CD, aka the best Sonic game.

Last edited:

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
Yeah I caught myself after taping unfortunately, I think I got my wires crossed cause I had been discussing some Spanish developed games (Asterix) with John around the same time.

Those (Asterix games) were French! Unless I'm missing an outlier that is, which again is entirely possible :-)

But it's true we used to have a thriving dev community in those times. Although it was mostly focused on Spectrum and Amstrad CPC, which was probably the most popular machine around here in/before 8bit times. And Commodore to a certain degree. We never had that much of console games development.

XboxCowdry

alt account
Banned
Sep 1, 2019
I remember Mega CD's Night Striker getting ripped apart in Mean Machines and SEGA Pro; I think Sega Pro marked the game 6 out of 100 LOL. Shame when it's an amazing port and makes great use of the ASIC hardware (shame about the screen res) Batman Returns and Cliffhanger 3D sections are still for me the best use of the ASIC chip.

Wing Commander on the Mega CD is another hidden gem that makes great use of the system A simply amazing port by Game Arts

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Dark1x I'm going to have to check out those two PCE shooters you mentioned now. :D
Audi I could have sworn I'd seen an English version of Golden Axe III somewhere maybe E3 or another show.