• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

For a double-A game, a Switch port of Red Faction Guerrilla is pretty ambitious stuff. This release was always a physics showcase - to the point where we used the Xbox One X remaster as a point of comparison against Microsoft's destruction-driven multiplayer Crackdown 3. The original last-gen release pushed the Xbox 360's 3.2GHz PowerPC cores hard and we suspect the key challenge here was in making that physics system work effectively on just three 1GHz ARM Cortex A57s. Surprisingly though, this aspect of the game works rather well.

Switch:
  • Performance and Quality Mode
  • 792p/900p docked and 360p-576p undocked.
  • 30fps cap with drops

PS4 Pro/Xbox X
  • 4k60fps on X with dips, solid 4k30 fps option
  • PS4 Performance Mode runs nowhere near 60fps, switching to 1080p makes performance more stable, 4k30fps runs way worse performance than X

More information and comparisons in the video and on the site!

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
The beleaguered sigh that preceded every mention of "Re-Mars-tered" killed me ahah

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
PS4 Pro quality mode hitting as low as 12fps when the explosions are going. What the hell happened there?

They should've dropped the resolution far below native 4K if it was going to be that unplayable.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Have any other games bested Guerrilla regarding destruction tech?

Err... No.. I mean even DICE Frostbite ain't even there yet..

PS4 Pro quality mode hitting as low as 12fps when the explosions are going. What the hell happened there?

They should've dropped the resolution far below native 4K if it was going to be that unplayable.

Something something Jaguar with a Hat on enhanced machines

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Err... No.. I mean even DICE Frostbite ain't even there yet..

Something something Jaguar with a Hat on enhanced machines
The problem is that the 1X's GPU bandwidth advantage allows it to power through the resolution increase, but they never should have set the Pro at 4K without that same horsepower. It's running like I would expect an RX 480 to handle native 4K.

PS4 Pro quality mode should be 1440p tops. Sticking with 4K parity seeing the abysmal performance is madness. Why would they think fans want to play it that way?

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Red Faction: Guerrilla (Switch) |OT| Portable Space Asshole

I have this game already on Steam (for having gotten RF:G on Steam before), but I think I'll be getting the Switch version as well because the destruction physics is just that entertaining, and to have it on a portable is quite impressive.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I got around to playing it this morning, and I must say it looks great in handheld mode. Like Digital Foundy suggested, this game is best played in handheld mode with the display setting set to high quality. I guess when docked, it's a mess.

I've run into a few very hectic moments, and the game stayed at 30fps. The handheld resolution isn't 720p, but it still looks good. Very little blur.

I think it's going to be the perfect handheld game. Lots to do, and it's fun doing it.