• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
The reactions to this video are weird. I thought it was a fair look given the information at hand.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's another teardown video for the Series X with ~900k views. DF were not the only people invited to MS to "assemble" a Series X.
www.youtube.com

Can I build an Xbox Series X?

I’m so excited for the Xbox Series X I...decided to build my own. Kinda.Browse Micro Center’s work and learn from home products: https://rebrand.ly/5v0iv53Pr...
Not to mention Xbox Series X initial video has over 1 million, where John and Rich speak about everything about the machine whilst on site. YouTube number counting is horrid though, and not a reflection of interest. Completely ignores general content topics that overlap with multiple creators, not to mention those reading articles instead of watching breakdowns, a short view or a complete one. Terrible metric to make conclusive statements.

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
Gonna stop you right there and just say, fanboy console warriors say we have a different bias depending upon the wind and the temperature outside. At the start of the current Generation, DF was called Sony Foundry because the PS4 ran games at higher res than Xbox One. Then the fanboys Switched places when the Xbox One X came out. Now adays it is essentially from Video to video: John making a positive Video about a Sony exclusive makes DF a Sony biased channel, except when he makes a positive Video about an MS game a few weeks later and DF is now an Xbox biased channel suddenly. These are merely perceptions of people who invest a lot of their social energy online into falsely perceived slights and conspiracy Theories.

i can't believe you had to come here to actually say this. most sane people already know all of that, but probably there has been a surge of dumbasses lately, more than usual

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Not to mention Xbox Series X initial video has over 1 million, where John and Rich speak about everything about the machine whilst on site. YouTube number counting is horrid though, and not a reflection of interest. Completely ignores general content topics that overlap with multiple creators, not to mention those reading articles instead of watching breakdowns, a short view or a complete one. Terrible metric to make conclusive statements.

You missed the point completely. The user said no one watches DF PS5 videos due to some alleged DF bias against Sony.

The metric we have right now shows that's likely unsupported and unsupportable.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Would you give your product to a review site if your competitor had the technological edge? I wouldn't. I will give it to a bunch of "influencers" that hype anything they get their hands on for clicks.
Not sure there is any risk of this situation unfolding. If all Xbox has been showing so far is features for and enhancements to backwards compatible games that don't really show off the console in the traditional sense, then I don't think Sony would have much to worry about other than their BC effort with PS5 not being as solid. The visual/performance differences between upcoming multiplatform games on both systems is going to be smaller than ever and not something Sony will be at all worried about, at launch especially. If the games end up looking practically indistinguishable and PS5 games have the other benefits like load times, DualSense and other innovations then it may end up giving it the edge.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I wonder how quickly Sony would be able to design a PS5 Slim, using one of TSMC's 5nm nodes for the SoC. and denser GDDR6 to further reduce power consumption, allowing for a less bulky heat sink. Probably still keep the metal cooling. Should they need it or want to do it.

By late 2022? Or would a PS5 Slim not be likely until 2023?

Jan 3, 2019
Schrodinger's Digital Foundry. Always in a state of superposition of being biased for both consoles, you only find out which they're biased for once you read the Era thread.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Come on man, the XSX is obviously the more technical advanced product. Not about being scared, about building hype when your product "might" be reviewed worse. You see this a lot for other consumer products and the automotive industry.

This is not a criticism towards Sony, this is just a strategy that makes sense for them. And yes, it makes sense for Sony to avoid DF.

How is the XSX more technical advanced product ?
It has more TF but the PS5 SSD speed also very advance tech .
Then there is the controller for PS5 that has loads of stuff both systems advance but in there own ways .

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
Not sure there is any risk of this situation unfolding. If all Xbox has been showing so far is features for and enhancements to backwards compatible games that don't really show off the console in the traditional sense, then I don't think Sony would have much to worry about other than their BC effort with PS5 not being as solid. The visual/performance differences between upcoming multiplatform games on both systems is going to be smaller than ever and not something Sony will be at all worried about, at launch especially. If the games end up looking practically indistinguishable and PS5 games have the other benefits like load times, DualSense and other innovations then it may end up giving it the edge.
It is not about the PS5 being a bad console, but if DF does a review of the PS5 hardware it will almost certainly favor the XSX based on pure spec comparisons.

Anyway... my last reply because I can see this is going nowhere good.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
I made an assertion earlier on in the thread and people started asking questions. I'm asking those people rather obvious questions to get them to realize on their own that it is not practical or even possible.
NAND chips are tested with what we call a test fixture. A first year EE student would know that.

You lose. Good day sir. (/joke)

Last edited:

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how quickly Sony would be able to design a PS5 Slim, using one of TSMC's 5nm nodes for the SoC. and denser GDDR6 to further reduce power consumption, allowing for a less bulky heat sink. Probably still keep the metal cooling. Should they need it or want to do it.

The PS4 Slim came out 3 years after the launch PS4. Logically a Ps5 Slim might come out at around 2023, but I don't think they'll be able to redesign the launch system enough to release one that early, especially if it still uses the variable clocks solution.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
How is the XSX more technical advanced product ?
It has more TF but the PS5 SSD speed also very advance tech .
Then there is the controller for PS5 there both advance but in there own ways .
I think both have their clear strengths, and I think we'll see that reflected in games. Honestly, I wish the systems were even more different but I do appreciate them seeming a bit more unique than this gen, where each console was either a bit more or less powerful than the others, without any particular hardware advantages to offset that.

Funkallero

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
Come on man, the XSX is obviously the more technical advanced product. Not about being scared, about building hype when your product "might" be reviewed worse. You see this a lot for other consumer products and the automotive industry.

This is not a criticism towards Sony, this is just a strategy that makes sense for them.

It could review worse on multiplat games for sure but it could review very well on exclusive games.
They could send their console with Morales and Demons Souls to review without touching one multiplat.

The Tflop count shows that it's less powerful indeed but there is a lot to talk about I/O implementation, better USB ports, better SSD extension solution, one of a kind cooling system, faster access to more RAM, DualSense...

My point is that it's more of a general PR strategy of leading information on different aspects (more showing exclusive games, emphasize on the Dualsense...) rather than doing the same thing MS is doing like sending consoles to press and influencers early.
Both have their strategy, and both are fine and I don't think Sony's ain't sending their console because they feel inferior.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
It's sad and embarrassing that this even needs to be said. I'm sorry you guys have to deal with all the console wars nonsense. Especially on era.

Sadly, it's the cost of doing business on the internet.

I thought Richard did a great job analyzing the video he had to work with. Every video DF publishes, I learn something new. This breakdown is no exception.

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City

This is not a criticism towards Sony, this is just a strategy that makes sense for them. And yes, it makes sense for Sony to avoid DF.
The console that doesn't have any USB C ports and on Wifi 5 is more technologically advanced? Really?

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You missed the point completely. The user said no one watches DF PS5 videos due to some alleged DF bias against Sony.

The metric we have right now shows that's likely unsupported and unsupportable.
Ok, perhaps it's the thinly veiled snipes being made at DF, sometimes it's not so clear who is sincere who isn't, so apologies for that.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I think both have their clear strengths, and I think we'll see that reflected in games. Honestly, I wish the systems were even more different but I do appreciate them seeming a bit more unique than this gen, where each console was either a bit more or less powerful than the others, without any particular hardware advantages to offset that.

Agree but i guess them being to different would have made things harder for devs .
This way is a nice middle ground where each has there own clear advantage that we will see in games even more so for first party .

Rask

Oct 25, 2017

Well PS4 Slim came out just shy of 3 years after PS4, and it looks like they've already got the roadmap down for the PS5 Pro/Slim. But a bit part of the when is market behavior and profit maximization. They don't what to cut their own legs off by not giving the base PS5 a chance to fully mature in the market. If they still can't keep them on shelves into 2023, they won't be as incentivized to bring out the revisions quickly, regardless of how dense they can get the VRAM by that time. They'll also want to give enough space for the early adopters to not only not feel burned but entice them keep early adopting the new units.

And they also will be thinking about how long this whole gen might last. If they bring out a Pro/Slim in 2 years and the gen goes for 5 more years, then they played their hand too early and MS has more wiggle room to steal the show back with their own revision at a more opportune time. These last 2 gens went 7 years. If we can expect a similar lifetime this gen, I wouldn't expect revisions much sooner than Q3/Q4 2023.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I'm not a computer engineer but I'm not entirely clueless. A multimeter is just a tool used to test electrical flow through any IC. If there is a defect, it would detect with variance in voltage passed through the defective NAND. You don't need access to the BGA solder point to test it.

No, that literally does not work. You can't test "electrical flow" (also doesn't make sense) through any complex IC with a multimeter to determine if it is ok or not.

We aren't talking a 4011 NAND chip, here (which I've used and probably blown up before).
4011-NAND-gate-pinout.png

We are talking about a flash chip with billions of testable elements inside, not 4 like the 4011 chip above (which is actually 16 transistors in the above diagram). You can't test this with a multimeter. You could possibly test the 4011 chip above with a multimeter (or two), though.

EGOMON

Nov 5, 2017
Earth
People need to stop attacking / putting down anyone criticising/disagreeing with DF they are not the Bible of console hardware judgment.
I disagree with so many of Rich takes and comparsions maybe let someone else who is more interested in the console to do the breakdown obviously he is not into it for whatever reason.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It's interesting to see the different approach they both took, taking basically the same AMD tech and what the final results look like.

Both look to have made great systems with some deviations. It will be interesting to see their different strengths as the gen plays out.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People need to stop attacking / putting down anyone criticising/disagreeing with DF they are not the Bible of console hardware judgment.
I disagree with so many of Rich takes and comparsions maybe let someone else who is more interested in the console to do the breakdown obviously he is not into it for whatever reason.
Until posters bring as much expertise with their material, anyone attacking DF for not being partisan enough should be named and shamed

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't get any bitter vibes at all, and I thought the analysis was great. DF approaches analysis objectively so there's only so much they can do from a second hand experience. They have to talk about the PS5 hardware, this is probably the biggest time for their channel. When he mentions that he doesn't have a unit yet, it's because he doesn't want to make claims he can't explain.

Until posters bring as much expertise with their material, anyone attacking DF for not being partisan enough should be named and shamed

It's seriously so odd.
There's like 5 different users who all claimed he did this "begrudgingly", verbatim.

Mar 8, 2018
Also, for anyone comparing views and trying to determine audience bias between the teardown videos, there's the simple fact that the Xbox video is more interesting as a piece of content than the PS5 video. Going to a place, talking to the engineers, "building" a console, and going hands on is just flat out better content than sitting at home and talking over/speculating about someone else's teardown.

I'm sure that when DF gets the chance to do their own hands on teardown of PS5, that it will be extremely interesting and do bonkers viewership numbers. Right now, the videos aren't comparable in terms of viewership pull

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Damn, DF are so biased when it comes to games consoles. Where is the toaster or fridge love?

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
When Richard was talking about how Sony worked on reducing vibration noise from the BD drive, he said that he "assumed" that the same applied to the Series X.

He has a Series X in hand, are they not allowed to tear them down? And if so, why?
But without tests why would he assume that?

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
The console that doesn't have any USB C ports and on Wifi 5 is more technologically advanced? Really?
They have different strengths. Series X has a good ssd, but the ps5 is next level. Sony chose to dissapate the heat over a large area, MS went with a more efficient but also more expensive split motherboard tower design. MS went with more CUs and consistent performance, Sony went with faster CUs and variable speed. MS went with split memory as a cost compromise, Sony has one pool.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
They have different strengths. Series X has a good ssd, but the ps5 is next level. Sony chose to dissapate the heat over a large area, MS went with a split motherboard tower design. MS went with more CUs and consistent performance, Sony went with faster CUs and variable speed. MS went with split memory as a cost compromise, Sony has one pool.
One important caveat on the RAM, the split memory on Series X includes 10 Gigs of RAM faster than the PS5 has, and then 6 gigs (only 3.5 usable) that's slower than the PS5 has, so we could potentially see this be a plus or minus for either console depending on what the game in question is doing.

JomanC137

Oct 27, 2017
Very shallow analysis, didn't go indepth on liquid metal, SSD expansions, the Custon I/O, WiFi 6 being related to VR functions, customizable side panels, I got absolutely nothing new from this, the NX Gamer analysis was so much better, Richard looked really uncomfortable doing this

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
Honest question: has anything happened between DF and Sony?

It is pretty obvious the change in the way they speak about Sony's products, and Rich in this video (and others in the podcast) looked really upset about not having the chance to review personally the console

Sony has chosen to have casual youtubers and traditional videogame magazines take a look to the PS5. On the other hand, it seems that DF is a little bit entitled as if Sony was obliged to lend them a console.

It is pretry obvious that something has happened. Eurogamer/DF were the ones who uploaded PS5 exclusive info the same moment Road to Ps5 conference started, so they were clearly colaborating with Sony.

Since then, they hace made some statements regarding PS5 wich ended up being false, and never corrected themselves.

Sony might not have liked that and probably cut all ties with them since then, and this probably was disliked in the DF team because they have had previous colab agreements.

In any case, Rich should stay professional and avoid firing those little sarcastic comments.

You need to go outside, get some fresh air, and have a serious word with yourself.

All this conspiracy nonsense isn't a good look.