• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
User Banned (5 days): Console wars, accusations of bias
They did this video because it will most likely generate more traffic in the next day than the actual Series X teardown video has done in months. Completely different hype levels for these two platforms.
PS5 views on Digital Foundry are quite low actually or lower then Xbox. Either the public has picked up on their bias or they're just too late with their PS5 info and everyone has already heard what they have to say from others.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing wrong with the video, what's with the melodrama. Sony's tear down video is clinical, and so is this overview.

The PS5 is laser focused on cooling which makes sense with their boost clock build, but man is it bulky.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Honest question: has anything happened between DF and Sony?

It is pretty obvious the change in the way they speak about Sony's products, and Rich in this video (and others in the podcast) looked really upset about not having the chance to review personally the console

Sony has chosen to have casual youtubers and traditional videogame magazines take a look to the PS5. On the other hand, it seems that DF is a little bit entitled as if Sony was obliged to lend them a console.

It is pretry obvious that something has happened. Eurogamer/DF were the ones who uploaded PS5 exclusive info the same moment Road to Ps5 conference started, so they were clearly colaborating with Sony.

Since then, they hace made some statements regarding PS5 wich ended up being false, and never corrected themselves.

Sony might not have liked that and probably cut all ties with them since then, and this probably was disliked in the DF team because they have had previous colab agreements.

In any case, Rich should stay professional and avoid firing those little sarcastic comments.

You're making multiple assumptions and building on them like they're fact.

there's no beef. Sony just has a different strategy with how they're disclosing info. I can imagine the folks at DF aren't too happy at a situation with less transparency, but that's no reason to call their professionalism or objectivity to question.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS5 views on Digital Foundry are quite low actually or lower then Xbox. Either the public has picked up on their bias or they're just too late with their PS5 info and everyone has already heard what they have to say from others.

I don't think DF is bias at all.

MS has given them a lot more to work with to do videos on but by and large they've been hugely positive about all the PS5 games and performance, they didn't even sugarcoat Halo Infinite, they just seem to deal with facts over any prejudices.

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
Reads like a conspiracy theory.

I had no problem with the way Rich covered the teardown and he approached it 'as a journalist' (which he said) and that entails he has to have it in person to do his own testing and professional breakdown. There's only so much he can say about it that isn't just pure speculation.

If he has had a lot of time with the competitors device (which he has) his commentary on only having a video to compare it are going to be reflected in the video. It'd be weirder if he didn't come at it from that POV.

'Sarcastic comments'? Lol. It's a professional giving his opinion of a device through a video and that came through.

The speculation has always been tied to Rich's long history in games press that usually covered Sony competitors (I believe he was EIC for Sega Saturn Mag back before it folded) and that he's got some sort of axe to grind over it. He did have a history of downplaying the PS1, but... I mean, he was working on Sega magazines and it was the 90s.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is true, there's certainly evidence of DF comparisons using more neutral language in comparisons that favored PS stuff compared to the more "vibrant" and positive tone they took when it was the opposite. It has toned down over the last generation though.

That said, it's all speculation, and there's no concrete evidence. Even editorializing reviews doesn't inherently prove bias. So, eh... it's whatever. DF is still a good source for what it offers.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I know right, and the downplaying of WiFi 6 surprised me.

I think maybe it's more from potentially being "forced" by the community to do the video. They've been going crazy on twitter asking for the video. So it feels like he has done it to satisfy those complaining but didn't have too much to add so he ended up coming across a little flat and uninspired by the whole thing.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
While DF staff are free to feel disappointed that they didn't get a ps5, i don't think they should have had one if that's Sony's desicion. Why them and not others nxgamer for example?
Especially in a pandemic. They also couldn't talk about everything XSX related or haven't had a series S either, so in the end MS and Sony choose what can be said, or not, and also being so careful prevents leaks.

Chaystic

Mar 2, 2020
Switzerland
User banned (1 week): platform wars, prior ban for platform wars
No hate, but that's such a low energy video, why bother making it if you're not feeling it at all? Like I get they may be a bit annoyed that Sony hasn't sent them a PS5 yet, but come on.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Either the public has picked up on their bias
Gonna stop you right there and just say, fanboy console warriors say we have a different bias depending upon the wind and the temperature outside. At the start of the current Generation, DF was called Sony Foundry because the PS4 ran games at higher res than Xbox One. Then the fanboys Switched places when the Xbox One X came out. Now adays it is essentially from Video to video: John making a positive Video about a Sony exclusive makes DF a Sony biased channel, except when he makes a positive Video about an MS game a few weeks later and DF is now an Xbox biased channel suddenly. These are merely perceptions of people who invest a lot of their social energy online into falsely perceived slights and conspiracy Theories.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
You can tell with a Multimeter. How do you think these companies test these NANDs and complete boards for defect before they put it in a device?

No, you can't test it with a multimeter. By the way, you're literally arguing with a computer engineer, here.

Companies do NOT test flash chips with multimeters. And even if you could, you can't get at any test points because the solder balls live UNDER the chips!

NAND Flash chips will have built in self test that lives either on the flash chip itself or in the flash controller. This BIST will cycle through each location and write it with various patterns and then read them out to root out stuck at 1 or stuck at 0 faults. This test would be done during manufacture, not in a working console, as it would be destructive. Where is this functionality on a multimeter? This is the level of test that you need to identify a faulty chip. using this information, the manufacturer of the flash chip could swap in redundant columns or rows to repair the faulty flash chip and still sell it as a 100% functional part. This isn't a single transistor that you can test with a multimeter.

During operation, flash chips could use parity to detect faults and use additional unprovisioned storage to replace faulty areas. I'm less clear about how this happens, as it isn't my region of expertise.

Incidentally, I don't think that SSD issues will be common at all. So I think that since it will be a relatively rare issue that they'll just take the small loss and recycle the board if they encounter an issue with the SSD.

I think that Microsoft decided to go with a replaceable SSD purely to create different sizes for future console editions, not necessarily for faulty SSD replacement. But it does allow them to do this replacement easily if they ever needed to.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
The speculation has always been tied to Rich's long history in games press that usually covered Sony competitors (I believe he was EIC for Sega Saturn Mag back before it folded) and that he's got some sort of axe to grind over it. He did have a history of downplaying the PS1, but... I mean, he was working on Sega magazines and it was the 90s.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is true, there's certainly evidence of DF comparisons using more neutral language in comparisons that favored PS stuff compared to the more "vibrant" and positive tone they took when it was the opposite. It has toned down over the last generation though.

That said, it's all speculation, and there's no concrete evidence. Even editorializing reviews doesn't inherently prove bias. So, eh... it's whatever. DF is still a good source for what it offers.
I'm commenting on the actual words and tone of the video that I watched and none of what the post I was replying to came through to me. My platform preference isn't exactly hidden either.

If people want to speculate on what they perceive by reading in to someone's supposed emotions and feelings they can, and I'm going to continue to paint those posts as conspiratorial.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
I was expecting more out of a DF video honestly. They don't really go into things like heatsink design and placement, potential airflow pathing, the huge VRM heatsink(!), etc. And I wish media would stop with the stupid eLuSiVe sOnY meme. I'd really like to see someone like Buildzoid get his hands on a board.

I'm not sure you know what a meme is

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Gonna stop you right there and just say, fanboy console warriors say we have a different bias depending upon the wind and the temperature outside. At the start of the current Generation, DF was called Sony Foundry because the PS4 ran games at higher res than Xbox One. Then the fanboys Switched places when the Xbox One X came out. Now adays it is essentially from Video to video: John making a positive Video about a Sony exclusive makes DF a Sony biased channel, except when he makes a positive Video about an MS game a few weeks later and DF is now an Xbox biased channel suddenly. These are merely perceptions of people who invest a lot of their social energy online into falsely perceived slights and conspiracy Theories.
Yup. It's insanity. People buy way too much into their own biases abd pretty much then apply that to everyone else. It's insanity.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC

This should be threadmarked.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I'm commenting on the actual words and tone of the video that I watched and none of what the post I was replying to came through to me. My platform preference isn't exactly hidden either.

If people want to speculate on what they perceive by reading in to someone's supposed emotions and feelings they can, and I'm going to continue to paint those posts as conspiratorial.
Yup. They are pure conspiracy.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Yup. You guys only have 'biases' when filtered through the lens of the biased viewer. The posts you're replying to and their ilk reveal a lot more about the person posting it than it does about DF.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
DF's Series X "teardown" has 418K views after 6 months. https://youtu.be/yxLeYN-t9nw

This PS5 video has 84K views in 2 hours.

There's another teardown video for the Series X with ~900k views. DF were not the only people invited to MS to "assemble" a Series X.
www.youtube.com

Can I build an Xbox Series X?

I’m so excited for the Xbox Series X I...decided to build my own. Kinda.Browse Micro Center’s work and learn from home products: https://rebrand.ly/5v0iv53Pr...

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
So many users blaming everyone but Sony about the lack of access to their console. To the point where they're catching feelings about it and posting conspiracy theories.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
The good thing for DF is that there's plenty to dig into and explore with the PS5 after the console releases.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't watched the video, but the article was surprisingly scant on insights on the tear down. I personally expected more, so it's a bit disappointing.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Imagine, people being pissed because the new DF-video doesn`t match their personal hype.
The video is fine.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Wifi 6 in general is kind of overrated though isn't it? Like a good wifi 5 router is faster a lot of the time than a cheapish wifi 6 router.

Wifi6 (AX) apparently is the minimum needed for decent wireless VR (No router involved, this would be direct wifi6 between PS5 and PSVR2 headset) but even then, it's a close thing, you know? VR is thirsty for video bandwidth and latency.

Wifi 6 is much better at handling overcrowding. I assume it has more precise clocks and cleaner airwave sharing algorithms. This is important because it will give a big incentive to ISPs to deploy Wifi6 quickly because they will receive less tech support call from customers, while boasting of being the fastest and greatest, yadda yadda marketing.

Wifi 5 (AC) is absolutely useless for VR but is more than enough for huge file transfers. It's faster than 99% of people's internet connections too, so Wifi6 won't help you download games faster unless you have some sweet, SWEET fiber ( 2 Gbps or above. 1 Gbps is fine with Wifi5). Nobody has that, basically, except here on ERA where people are aliens from the future.

NX gamer has a fascinating video I linked to in my previous post if you're interested. He explains it much better than I can and makes a convincing case. Still not a slam dunk, of course. Maybe sony just wants to improve online gaming? Maybe wifi6 was super cheap to include?

How cheap is a Wifi6 vs Wifi5 module for sony? I need this info to speculate further.

Last edited:

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
No, you can't test it with a multimeter. By the way, you're literally arguing with a computer engineer, here.

Companies do NOT test flash chips with multimeters. And even if you could, you can't get at any test points because the solder balls live UNDER the chips!

NAND Flash chips will have built in self test that lives either on the flash chip itself or in the flash controller. This BIST will cycle through each location and write it with various patterns and then read them out to root out stuck at 1 or stuck at 0 faults. This test would be done during manufacture, not in a working console, as it would be destructive. Where is this functionality on a multimeter? This is the level of test that you need to identify a faulty chip. using this information, the manufacturer of the flash chip could swap in redundant columns or rows to repair the faulty flash chip and still sell it as a 100% functional part. This isn't a single transistor that you can test with a multimeter.

During operation, flash chips could use parity to detect faults and use additional unprovisioned storage to replace faulty areas. I'm less clear about how this happens, as it isn't my region of expertise.

Incidentally, I don't think that SSD issues will be common at all. So I think that since it will be a relatively rare issue that they'll just take the small loss and recycle the board if they encounter an issue with the SSD.

I think that Microsoft decided to go with a replaceable SSD purely to create different sizes for future console editions, not necessarily for faulty SSD replacement. But it does allow them to do this replacement easily if they ever needed to.
So wait you know how this all works but are questioning how they would know? What's the point of you asking then.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

I really appreciate that you guys are able to step back and analyze technical details specifically without letting console wars ideology and biases affect the way you provide content.

Thanks so much for all the hard work you've all been doing in the run up to next-gen, and I'm sorry there's so much misdirected vitriol and nonsense being directed towards you guys.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
There's another teardown video for the Series X with ~900k views. DF were not the only people invited to MS to "assemble" a Series X.
www.youtube.com

Can I build an Xbox Series X?

I’m so excited for the Xbox Series X I...decided to build my own. Kinda.Browse Micro Center’s work and learn from home products: https://rebrand.ly/5v0iv53Pr...

If you read the post I was replying to, you will see the assertion concerns specifically DF's views, not another third party.

"PS5 views on Digital Foundry are quite low actually or lower then Xbox."

I would reckon the PS5 video's momentum will belie this statement, likely sooner than later.

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
User warned: Conspiracy theories about journalists

I mean, personally I agree with the sentiment that Rich's tone was neutral at best in the video. It certainly wasn't as overly positive as some of his other videos.

But then again, Microsoft has obvious open communications channels and has concessions made for DF, whereas Sony... Well, Sony gonna Sony. So, like, I don't get the "DF teh bias'd" posts. Sure, they're gonna be biased in favor of MS, MS allowed them first dibs on the XSX and XSS, they freely communicate, why not begrudgingly cover a Sony teardown you couldn't participate in? It's just coverage they gotta do.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I really appreciate that you guys are able to step back and analyze technical details specifically without letting console wars ideology and biases affect the way you provide content.

Thanks so much for all the hard work you've all been doing in the run up to next-gen, and I'm sorry there's so much misdirected vitriol and nonsense being directed towards you guys.
And people misconstruing their posts as anything more than for them to try and fuel wars. It's ridiculous. They have be straight up on everything and it's insane how people get so angry or try to interpret every word as anything more that face value.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
So wait you know how this all works but are questioning how they would know? What's the point of you asking then.

I made an assertion earlier on in the thread and people started asking questions. I'm asking those people rather obvious questions to get them to realize on their own that it is not practical or even possible.

Funkallero

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
Would you give your product to a review site if your competitor had the technological edge? I wouldn't. I will give it to a bunch of "influencers" that hype anything they get their hands on for clicks.

Tflop count ain't the end all be all for measuring technological advancement. One could argue that getting a whopping 2.23Ghz out of a chip is quite an achievement in itself.

Anyway that old "sony is scared of ms" narrative needs to die.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Honest question: has anything happened between DF and Sony?

It is pretty obvious the change in the way they speak about Sony's products, and Rich in this video (and others in the podcast) looked really upset about not having the chance to review personally the console

Sony has chosen to have casual youtubers and traditional videogame magazines take a look to the PS5. On the other hand, it seems that DF is a little bit entitled as if Sony was obliged to lend them a console.

It is pretry obvious that something has happened. Eurogamer/DF were the ones who uploaded PS5 exclusive info the same moment Road to Ps5 conference started, so they were clearly colaborating with Sony.

Since then, they hace made some statements regarding PS5 wich ended up being false, and never corrected themselves.

Sony might not have liked that and probably cut all ties with them since then, and this probably was disliked in the DF team because they have had previous colab agreements.

In any case, Rich should stay professional and avoid firing those little sarcastic comments.

You say it's pretty obvious but you don't explain why. Your post lacks facts that support your position.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's sad and embarrassing that this even needs to be said. I'm sorry you guys have to deal with all the console wars nonsense. Especially on era.

iceatcs

Oct 30, 2017
Not surprised at all, I mean they are really really in love with Xbox One X. They will keep like that for next-gen, DF is about who has better graphics or run better.

Bias is not an illegal man.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017

I'm not a computer engineer but I'm not entirely clueless. A multimeter is just a tool used to test electrical flow through any IC. If there is a defect, it would detect with variance in voltage passed through the defective NAND. You don't need access to the BGA solder point to test it. Your claim was Sony would have to replace a whole board if they want to repair a PS5 faulty NAND and they won't. In the worst case, they will remove all 6 NAND and test them individually and replace a faulty one.

As for different size storage, they can use a larger NAND capacity, these Toshiba NAND (TH58LJT0T24BA4C) they use come in 128, 256 and 512 packages. They don't need to create a different board, just add the larger NAND.

Last edited:

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I made an assertion earlier on in the thread and people started asking questions. I'm asking those people rather obvious questions to get them to realize on their own that it is not practical or even possible.
So question for you in a POST test for the SSD are each nand flashes put into a certain address range that the controller for them would know and be able to tell based on the addresses report what's wrong or is that impossible? And it just sees the nand as a unified entity?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think Richard was perfectly fair in his summary and assessments, though I will say that I don't personally think the PS5 design is as conservative as Richard made out.

Just how conservative is the PS5's design?

The use of liquid metal is a first for a mass-manufactured product, the only other product I know of that uses something similar are the new Asus laptops, but obviously they're not manufactured to the same quantity or volume.

There's other little things like the depth of the fan that Richard touches on, larger than any in a console yet, the dual sided intake, the dust catchers which as far as I know, are also another first for a gaming console, the non proprietary SSD expansion slot that is factored into the cooling arrangement, and also caters to every physical size of NVMe SSD etc.

The PS5's design profile and shape.

I also don't think Sony stuck to this design profile or shape only to keep costs down as suggested (on top of needing major cooling), but also to have physical dimensions that despite being really large, still fit into a wider number of entertainment units, which the PS5 will versus the Xbox Series X just by virtue of its lower height whilst horizontal. As an example, going by the dimensions, the PS5 will fit into my entertainment system horizontally, the Series X will not.

Sony being less forthright with information.

On a final point, whilst Sony has definitely been more guarded or slower to release certain information comparative to Microsoft, I think it's still wise to remember that what Microsoft has shown or allowed has still been very restricted or controlled.

Yes they allowed DF and another YouTube influencer to engage in a pseudo teardown, but the unit they put together was not a retail unit. It was a demo showcase unit, that didn't have screws, cables etc, and could be clicked together with magnets to look more palatable and sexy. Obviously the real thing will be a bit more complex in its construction, and take longer to disassemble.

Likewise, yes Microsoft sent prototypes to tonnes of influencers and outlets, but they still had/have very strict NDA rules around what can or cannot be said, or could or could not be played and so on. Hence we don't actually have exact noise and heat figures yet. The whole 'console runs silent but really hot stuff' that came out, was essentially against the NDA.

Ultimately, I'm sure we'll get full hardware tests in a few weeks the way we've had for every console from Sony and Microsoft the last decade or so (including comprehensive tests on heat, noise, loading times and so on), and I'm also confident we'll get multiplatform comparisons, reviews of games etc eventually too. It's just a waiting game.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
If you read the post I was replying to, you will see the assertion concerns specifically DF's views, not another third party.

"PS5 views on Digital Foundry are quite low actually or lower then Xbox."

I would reckon the PS5 video's momentum will belie this statement, likely sooner than later.

I mean, the 'Series X BC performance is extreme' video they posted has over a million views in 2 weeks. There is a plethora of Xbox videos on their channel since they are hands-on with the console so it really isn't fair to compare one PS5 video to that, especially when everyone is thirsty as fuck right now. This PS5 video should easily hit over a million views.

And I mean, they do have a 2:1 attach ratio, so I never understood why people keep bellowing about the "view count/likes" differences in the first place. Obviously they deserve the disparity.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
people talking about bias here are so out of touch,

MS gave DF more access so it made it easier for them to generate content on the Xbox, that's it,

the rest is just looking objectively at things,
nothing he said on the video looked biased or out of place, it looks pretty objective and fair given the information available,

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the 'Series X BC performance is extreme' video they posted has over a million views in 2 weeks. There is a plethora of Xbox videos on their channel since they are hands-on with the console so it really isn't fair to compare one PS5 video to that, especially when everyone is thirsty as fuck right now. This PS5 video should easily hit over a million views.

And I mean, they do have a 2:1 attach ratio, so I never understood why people keep bellowing about the "view count/likes" differences in the first place. Obviously they deserve the disparity.

I am mainly disputing the notion that folks don't watch PS5 DF videos, comparatively or otherwise.

Folks will watch anything PS5, regardless of source.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
User banned (5 days): Platform warring over multiple posts. Recent ban for platform wars.
Tflop count ain't the end all be all for measuring technological advancement. One could argue that getting a whopping 2.23Ghz out of a chip is quite an achievement in itself.

Anyway that old "sony is scared of ms" narrative needs to die.
Come on man, the XSX is obviously the more technical advanced product. Not about being scared, about building hype when your product "might" be reviewed worse. You see this a lot for other consumer products and the automotive industry.

This is not a criticism towards Sony, this is just a strategy that makes sense for them. And yes, it makes sense for Sony to avoid DF.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I've got to say, I like Rich's breakdown of the system. I'm a fan of Cerny's console designs in no small part because of their eye to production costs. Sony give him a budget, and he puts something together that delivers a lot of bang for buck at that price point. Yes, sometimes that leads to something like loud PS4 Pros, but overall I think his system design is elegant.

The focus is different for MS, who, at least with Xbox One X and Series X have focused on making a quiet, compact, extremely powerful system. They have far more leeway with budget giving them luxuries there that Cerny doesn't get, but I think One X and Series X are incredible pieces of engineering too.

Different focusses is all.

I have never previously bought *both* MS and Sony systems during the launch window. I got a 360 first. I got a PS4 first. Both pieces of hardware this time are exciting to me in different ways, and both offer me things that I want to get onboard with sooner rather than later.

Not everyone has that luxury, I get. But I am very excited to see what Sony's first parties can do with their hardware (as always), very excited to see what PSVR2 brings, and very excited to see multiplat and Microsoft published titles running on Series X and PC.

I watched this go back and forth over the years. Weirdly, DF always seem *biased* to whatever console is outputting the best results. Keep up the good work.